OT: On Right Now - Buffalo Braves vs. Philadelphia 76ers

Rubes

My friends and I won a sign contest in '76 (got our pictures in the BEN on the what I think they used to call the Picture Page or something like that) - we brought enough signs to line the entire railing section up in the oranges. We got two season tickets for the next season split between four kids. When the Braves left Buffalo I left watching the NBA....I hear they're on strike now....does anyone care? I hope they stay out the entire year - more hockey to watch...

Paul Snyder was always jealous of the Knoxes and the Sabres, who had a much more devoted following and (as Snyder saw it) got preferential treatment in the use of the Aud. That sense of inferiority poisoned the Braves from the start, alas.

There was no "as he saw it." The Sabres were considered "preferred tenants" and were able to secure all Friday nights, for instance. I still hate Snyder for what he and later Brown did, but the lease was a problem.

By the way, unlike his son, Joe Bryant did go to College(LaSalle) and Kevin McHale retired long after the Braves left.

Edited by Preston Ridlehuber

... Calvin was a great player.

At 5'10" he could reverse dunk a basketball.

He once raced his team from endline to endline (188') while dribbling a basketball in either hand while his teammates only had to run.

Murphy won the race.

Murphy was an athletic freak and one of my favorites as a kid. Little Three B Ball was big back then. One of my early memories of him was when he twirled the baton at halftime of a Bills/Pats game at the Rockpile. He did some amazing things with that thing. I think he was a sophomore at Niagara at the time. Apparently he won a ton of competitions as a baton twirler in Connecticut. Who knew?

GO BILLS!!!

Murphy was an athletic freak and one of my favorites as a kid. Little Three B Ball was big back then. One of my early memories of him was when he twirled the baton at halftime of a Bills/Pats game at the Rockpile. He did some amazing things with that thing. I think he was a sophomore at Niagara at the time. Apparently he won a ton of competitions as a baton twirler in Connecticut. Who knew?

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmI9MSuXtdY

MacAdoo's free throws at the end of regulation- the hoop apparatus was being shaken by someone to interfere with the shot!. Imagine that today!

That was hilarious!

I still never got a favorite NBA team after the Braves left. The only thing I care about now is that Lebron not win a championship.....So, I'm actually rooting for the lockout, so it gives him even less time to win one!

Man, no time to post my usual long-winded drivel, but, I must say, if the Braves had never left Buffalo, the Bills would be #2 in my book, followed by the Sabres...was an obsessive Braves fan as a kid...tried following them in LA, but it was just impossible in those days...switched my allegiances to the Celtics based merely on the fact, in those days, Buffalo got the Boston super station, so you could see nearly every game. Not much other NBA on tv then...but I loved the Braves.

For those who want to reminisce further, this book is awesome...a little pricey at $40, but when it came out, it was $80:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Home-Braves-Tim-Wendel/dp/0578040859/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1320537891&sr=8-12

Love all of the Braves talk, glad others found it interesting! I just wish I could have watched it.

And yes, the NBA died for me when the Braves left.

GO BILLS!!!

I remember little calvin twirling the baton and heaving it to the heavens and catching it at the old rockpile--good memory.

back to the Braves--they were a lot of fun. I remember when Downtown Freddie Hilton went off for 30+ points one game. The guy would heave up 35 ft 2 pointers all nite.

and I remember the game where they beat Lew Alcindor and the bucks by about 50 points....they were hitting everything that night.

This is in the believe it or not category.

My mom used to work intl currency at the Marine Midland tower. We used get autographed Sabres pictures, tickets, etc. We also got a lot of Braves tix. The biggest memory was getting into the aud early against the Rockets and watching Calvin Murphy shooting around. I was standing court side and he invited me to come onto the court and shoot some baskets. I was a fat, slow 12 yr old and was unable to even hit the rim. but that's something I'll never forget. I loved the Braves. My dad and I used to go to little 3 games at the aud all the time. I saw Ernie D play for Providence before he ever made the Braves.

Ahh, The Little Three! The year the Bonnies and Niagara were both in the top 5 in the nation, I lived near Olean and those games were insane. I think it was the 1969-70 season? And the Bonnies would have stopped UCLA's streak that year if Buffalo Bob Lanier had not been hurt in the regional final at the Palestra. Those were great days for college basketball in WNY.

Same here... Went to a lot of games... Would get the tix redeemed off the Dairylea milk cartons... Sat in the Oranges, that is were I aquired my vertigo... Man, would that section scare the crap out of me!!!

Same here.... unbelievably I've been in attendance at more Braves games than Bills and Sabres combined. That fact still blows my mind!

My dad used to take me to braves games when we came to buffalo from Syracuse for t-giving and Christmas. It was so much fun. I still like the NBA and mostly follow 'Cuse players, but being in Philly, I can justify rooting fir the sixers as they used to be the Syracuse nationals. I love the athleticism of NBA players, it's fun to watch for me!

My dad used to take me to braves games when we came to buffalo from Syracuse for t-giving and Christmas. It was so much fun. I still like the NBA and mostly follow 'Cuse players, but being in Philly, I can justify rooting fir the sixers as they used to be the Syracuse nationals. I love the athleticism of NBA players, it's fun to watch for me!

And, Dolph Schayes, first Braves coach, is still alive and kicking, as you probably know!

And, Dolph Schayes, first Braves coach, is still alive and kicking, as you probably know!

And the Braves coach in this game/topic, Dr. Jack Ramsey is still providing analysis on ESPN radio and TV at the age of 86 years old.

Great guy, great coach, and icon of my youth… with the ridiculous leisure suit jacket and multi-colored slacks.

Ahh, The Little Three! The year the Bonnies and Niagara were both in the top 5 in the nation, I lived near Olean and those games were insane. I think it was the 1969-70 season? And the Bonnies would have stopped UCLA's streak that year if Buffalo Bob Lanier had not been hurt in the regional final at the Palestra. Those were great days for college basketball in WNY.

No doubt the Brown Indians would have won it all!

And the Braves coach in this game/topic, Dr. Jack Ramsey is still providing analysis on ESPN radio and TV at the age of 86 years old.

Great guy, great coach, and icon of my youth… with the ridiculous leisure suit jacket and multi-colored slacks.

Yeah, he is still sharp as a tack, too.