Aikman as Analyst

I grew increasingly annoyed with Troy Aikman's harping on the 'Skins being decimated by injuries. True, they've lost a few offensive starters. But for a while, it sounded like he was attributing the Bills' success more to the opponent's injuries than the effectiveness of the Bills game plan. He did not mention how Gailey had to make adjustments to fill holes in the roster--apparently, lining up a RB as a wideout to compensate for an injured wideout didn't make it to Aikman's game notes. Then the lightbulb came on. Who cares? Playoff teams dismember weaker opponents. If they are decimated by injuries, all the more reason to crush them. The Bills looked like a team that *really* wants the post-season.

It was also clear that Aikman has some major issue with Gailey. His partner in the booth kept saying good things about Chan's time in Dallas but Aikman tried to dminish them ... perhaps he is on Jerry Jones' payroll still.

a couple of points

* Aikman admitted he knew little of the Bills - rarely does their games and hasn't seen a lot of them

* Did you note the faint prise for Gailey? He hated playing under him in Dallas, felt he was a Super Bowl QB and won with the old offense, he resented Gailey and led to Gailey's ouster.

Solid points. Heck, Aikman displayed his ignorance of the Bills from the start by acting surprised that Fitz wore his wedding ring!

Hey Troy, I hear he went to Harvard too? And did you know Fred Jackson went to Coe Co..... ah, forget it. :lol:

At the beginning of the game, he actually talked up Gailey a little bit. He said that Jerry Jones always said that firing Gailey was the worst move he ever made...all the while I'm thinking, "Wasn't it YOU who wanted him gone?"

Anyways, Aikman kept harping on the Bills for the wildcat plays saying how much he hated what it does to a QB and the offense. He even went so far as to say when he played they tried to install the wildcat on third downs to which Aikman replied, "Well you better be ready to use it on first and second down too cause I'm heading to the showers."

I thought exactly the same thing. He didn't like Gailey's offense, wanted him gone.

I posted this in another thread. sorry if you already read it.

Troy Achingwomen has a very deep disrespect for the Bills and for Gailey. He is a pretty boy from big city glamorous Dallas and played with a bunch of "American's Team", self-appointed heros and stars. Gailey was OC in Dallas for a few years at the end of the group of hero's careers and had to put up with a bunch of giant egos and divas, including "the Troy, Captain America". It was pretty common knowledge that Gailey had problems dealing with the bunch of had-been star's egos, and any coach would have had trouble, unless he let them run the ship. I think you saw some of that hostility coming out in a hissy fit comments by Akerwomen.

Akerwomen seems to have his head frozen in the time when he considered himself American's hero. The wildcat has a place in today's NFL as its another way of attacking more sophisticated defenses, which don't have an answer for a QB who runs to the open spot in the middle of the line as a first option. If the defense runs a twist or stunt that overloads a section of the offensive line, then there is a big gapping hole for someone like Smith to run through for an easy 5-7 yards. If the just hit and hold all the gaps, then a short pass behind the linebackers is also undefended. Acheingwomen isn't smart enought to see this type of evolution coming. We now have a number of big running QB's in the league and its only a matter of time before we see more of this as designed plays. Screw prettyboy.

Aikman did mention that when Chan was coaching, it was the first time he ever wore a coaching wrist band.

To be fair, Aikman was complimentary of the wristband system, referencing the fact that when the in-helmet radio stops working, the sideline just has to signal in a number and the QB can make the call. Perhaps that helped Fitz after Fletcher flattened him.

Another topic: how many of you held your breath when Fitz took a knee. I was worried it was his shoulder when they showed the replay. I probably missed the report on what part of Fitz took the brunt of that hit. Anyone know?

Thought I'd add this Easterbrook piece to this thread, as Aikman went on and on about the Redskins injuries, how Fletcher "chose Washington over Buffalo," etc. The quote is referring to Redskins coaches, though.

Sour Plays, Sour Excuse-Making: In the run-up to Redskins versus Bills in Toronto, Washington coaches cried woe-is-me to the sports press about having five starters out injured, including the starting left tackle. Bills coaches made no complaints, though Buffalo entered the game with four starters out injured, including the first- and second-string left tackles. Buffalo shut Washington out 23-0. The Bills recorded nine sacks against the Skins, despite entering the contest with only four sacks on the season. After the game, Mike "The Ultimate Leader" Shanahan complained about being plagued by injuries. But then Washington, D.C., is all about excuse-making.

Bills leading 13-0 in the third quarter, Buffalo faced third-and-1 on the Washington 15. Washington defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, who's done a fair amount of excuse-making himself, had both safeties, LaRon Landry and O.J. Atogwe, close to the line anticipating run. Just before the snap veteran middle linebacker London Fletcher realized he was the deepest man on the field and pointed at Buffalo tight end Scott Chandler, whom the Bills have been sending deep and who, to that point, had five touchdown receptions on the season. At the snap Landry, the strong safety, completely ignored Chandler going deep. Soon the gentleman had six touchdown receptions on the season.

I just thought it was nice that someone finally noticed that the Bills had injuries as well.

You know that was Gailey he was talking about. No way was it Norv Turner or Ernie Zampese who was suggesting the wildcat. He dodged that issue a bit after he said it, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was talking about Gailey and only Gailey.

Down in these parts, it is pretty well accepted as truth that Aikman was the main reason Gailey was fired in Dallas. Aikman, and other vets, did not take to Gailey too well...he wanted to do new things, but the old Cowboys (at that point), I think, felt like they didn't need Gailey to show the old dogs new tricks. In some ways, it makes sense. Supposing it was 1995, and Jim Kelly was complaining about a new head coach, some releatively unknown guy. Likely, the coach would have been fired, even though it was obvious, at that point, that Kelly's best years were behind him. Tough spot for an owner to be in.

Aikman was horrendous.

My favorite was when it was like 3rd and 17 and Stevie caught a pass for 13 yards. Aikman: "That's inexcusable; you need to know where the first down marker is."

Huh? On 3rd and 17??

Aikman's tone is arrogant, what he says displays arrogance, and his commentary is otherwise just abysmal.

He was absolutely right. As a QB he knows when a WR takes the easy out by cutting off the pattern short of the sticks. The 'Skins recivers did it a few times as well...

Troy-boy rolled the Bills in consecutive SB's, then hasn't seen them since. His arrogance is understandable, if unacceptable.

As for him being an analist, that rumor's been circulating for years..

I see what you did there!