CJ at WR

1B4IDie

That's just another "CJ SHOULD be a WR" thread

This is a "Looks like CJ IS a WR, now what?" thread.

:flirt:

yeah, it's a good move--get him on the field so he can make plays.

Spiller is AWFUL on punt returns, my god.

in the words of Wade Phillips: "We have punt catchers, not punt returners."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to see them put Spiller into a position where he can actually do something AFTER he catches it.....

Get the guy into space please

I agree 100% and it's weird because Gailey seems able to do it with most of the other guys. Spiller on a slant routes could be a thing of beauty.

Watch the first time we ran the fake end around after Jackson's long TD run ... I would wager that Spiller would have taken it untouched the whole way if they faked it to Jackson and gave it to CJ ... it was wide open.

If I am thinking of the same play, I remember scratching my head and thinking, why FAKE the end around? Defenses generally don't bite on something like that because it's fairly unexpected, so why ever fake it? Either do the reverse/end around or don't run the play, but why fake it? I'll admit, I may be missing something here - If so, please fill me in!

Based on what I've observed of his running style both in the return game and running from scrimmage, I really hope the Bills don't make CJ a WR staple. In a word, his running style is out of control. It's as though he has to make his feet go as fast as possible EVERY TIME he runs. He looks like a cartoon character pumping his legs in the air before he begins to move forward. He's too impatient at this point. I can't see him running disciplined routes as a result. The occasional fly, slant, out, or comeback pattern is fine. But that's it until he learns how to run.

GO BILLS!!!

Who is complaining? Besides, whenever Spiller gets the ball it is like watching Dancing With the Stars. Seems like he can never make up his mind, whether it be a punt return, a reception or a running play, he dances around instead of using is awesome speed and taking off.

Yeah, that 7 ypc average is the mark of a really ineffective runner...

If I am thinking of the same play, I remember scratching my head and thinking, why FAKE the end around? Defenses generally don't bite on something like that because it's fairly unexpected, so why ever fake it? Either do the reverse/end around or don't run the play, but why fake it? I'll admit, I may be missing something here - If so, please fill me in!

A couple reasons

1) end arounds rarely work, there's way too mcuh team speed in teh NFL.

2) the only way they work is if you run something to set them up...that doesn't have to be a fake, but it has to be somethign out of a similar formation and upfront blocking. With so much speed you need someone to bite away from where the play is going.

Since the moment CJ Spiller was drafted the talk of converting him to a WR has been a constant theme.

Well on Sunday, it sure looked like CJ was our 4th WR. He didn't line up in the backfield and motion out, he just lined up as a WR from the start of many plays on Sundays.

Now that you finally get what you want, you don't want it anymore?

I never thought they would make him an actually receiver...But I thought he looked surprisingly good in that position. He was more effective as a receiver than he was as a RB, and showed pretty good hands. The guy is fast, I am ok with them exploring this route.

What I would like to see less of is Brad Smith at WR, I didn't realize he was that bad at the position. He runs poor routes, and really can't catch. I love him in the wild cat though, kind of surprised they don't use it more. Especially when they need to run clock.

Based on what I've observed of his running style both in the return game and running from scrimmage, I really hope the Bills don't make CJ a WR staple. In a word, his running style is out of control. It's as though he has to make his feet go as fast as possible EVERY TIME he runs. He looks like a cartoon character pumping his legs in the air before he begins to move forward. He's too impatient at this point. I can't see him running disciplined routes as a result. The occasional fly, slant, out, or comeback pattern is fine. But that's it until he learns how to run.

GO BILLS!!!

Huh? Who cares how he runs as long as he gets yards?

Watch the first time we ran the fake end around after Jackson's long TD run ... I would wager that Spiller would have taken it untouched the whole way if they faked it to Jackson and gave it to CJ ... it was wide open.

Yes, on the first one all the Giants defense focused on Freddy, I believe Spiller would have scored untouched on that one.

He has sure hands and defenses have to respect his speed, that is why he was so open on those curls or comeback routes. He is a dangerous player.

BTW, I'm still waiting for Spiller to run that end around and scoring a long TD.

Spiller would line up wide to the right on a 3WR set, he would motion back inside and while Fitz hands the ball to Freddy he fakes the end around. We ran it twice and on both plays the defense keyed strictly on Freddy. I was hoping Chan could run the play one more time giving the ball to Spiller, I'm sure he would have scored.

S-S-S-S-Save it for the JETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :lol:

Huh? Who cares how he runs as long as he gets yards?

I don't care if he runs on his hands to get yards. I realize you don't get style points in the NFL.

My point is that until he learns how to run with patience he's gonna be spinning his wheels unnecessarily. He needs to slow down and let the game come to him. It is this impatience that convinces me he is not a great WR in the making and why I don't want to see him moved there very often.

When he learns to be patient he is gonna be one helluva running back IMO.

GO BILLS!!!

He has sure hands and defenses have to respect his speed, that is why he was so open on those curls or comeback routes. He is a dangerous player.

BTW, I'm still waiting for Spiller to run that end around and scoring a long TD.

Spiller would line up wide to the right on a 3WR set, he would motion back inside and while Fitz hands the ball to Freddy he fakes the end around. We ran it twice and on both plays the defense keyed strictly on Freddy. I was hoping Chan could run the play one more time giving the ball to Spiller, I'm sure he would have scored.

Sounds like a great play and the set up and fakes would work great too also you and easily diagnose the d if they are playing man or zone as well

I don't care if he runs on his hands to get yards. I realize you don't get style points in the NFL.

My point is that until he learns how to run with patience he's gonna be spinning his wheels unnecessarily. He needs to slow down and let the game come to him. It is this impatience that convinces me he is not a great WR in the making and why I don't want to see him moved there very often.

When he learns to be patient he is gonna be one helluva running back IMO.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree that he needs to learn to setup his blockers better. But he's still a threat.

Stevie Johnson was talking about Spiller at WR today on 550am, and they asked him about the end around and that it looked like it was open on both plays.

Stevie said they knew it was there after the first play, but implied that sometimes if you run it again they THINK it's going to CJ so they bite on him and it helps Freddy because it freezes defenders for a second. The Giants didn't care or just forgot to adjust, they just keyed on Freddy on both plays so the deception didn't work.

As far as WR goes, he said they were expecting CJ to run mostly go routes so they played him deep, but he did some curls and other stuff inside that obviously worked well. He had 5 catches I think, seems like he has pretty good hands.