We melt like ice

dayman

There's something seriously wrong with you people bitching and whining about this.

Get help, seriously.

I'm no homer. But I haven't seen a Bills team this good in years. Don't you guys see it?

This team is 4-1, and just beat a team few people were saying we could beat. We're not perfect. Yeah, we have some issues on D. No one is perfect.

Enjoy the fu#!$ing win. Jesus H. Christ, people.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the original poster and don't see why he's getting so much criticism. Saying did you think the Bills would be 4-1 at this point does nothing for me. Saying we won does nothing for me. I have one goal for this team, which is the same goal I've had for over 10 years now. Make the playoffs. As we get closer to that goal (as this team appears) it's OK to dissect them more and search for reasons if we can or can't expect the drought to end. Certainly it's commendable that the Bills have played so opportunistically on defense. But when the talent doesn't suggest the turnovers, and it doesn't, and your barely winning games when your destroying teams in the TO department. How can't people think this could be an issue that bites us in the rear as we try and earn what should be the only relevant goal for all of us? End the frigging drought. We have played passively on offense two straight weeks now expecting to nurse leads with a Swiss cheese defense. I don't think the turnovers will stop, I know they will. It's a virtual certainty. So when they do, how do we perform? The turnovers have made it very difficult to get a prolonged read on this team because without some very fortunate bounces we would ave lost the Oakland game, New England game, and likely the Philadelphia game. Obviously it feels great to be sitting 4-1, way past my expectations. But I certainly feel concerned that we could struggle immensely if we stay neutral or lose the TO battle. I mean, were not just winning in that area right now, were killing people. The Eagles should have never come within 14 points today. We have the hand we were dealt with defensive personnel, but I don't expect our offense to go into protect the lead mode up 10+, with a defense like this. That will haunt us down the road.

I agree with the original poster and don't see why he's getting so much criticism. Saying did you think the Bills would be 4-1 at this point does nothing for me. Saying we won does nothing for me. I have one goal for this team, which is the same goal I've had for over 10 years now. Make the playoffs. As we get closer to that goal (as this team appears) it's OK to dissect them more and search for reasons if we can or can't expect the drought to end. Certainly it's commendable that the Bills have played so opportunistically on defense. But when the talent doesn't suggest the turnovers, and it doesn't, and your barely winning games when your destroying teams in the TO department. How can't people think this could be an issue that bites us in the rear as we try and earn what should be the only relevant goal for all of us? End the frigging drought. We have played passively on offense two straight weeks now expecting to nurse leads with a Swiss cheese defense. I don't think the turnovers will stop, I know they will. It's a virtual certainty. So when they do, how do we perform? The turnovers have made it very difficult to get a prolonged read on this team because without some very fortunate bounces we would ave lost the Oakland game, New England game, and likely the Philadelphia game. Obviously it feels great to be sitting 4-1, way past my expectations. But I certainly feel concerned that we could struggle immensely if we stay neutral or lose the TO battle. I mean, were not just winning in that area right now, were killing people. The Eagles should have never come within 14 points today. We have the hand we were dealt with defensive personnel, but I don't expect our offense to go into protect the lead mode up 10+, with a defense like this. That will haunt us down the road.

Best and most reasonable post in this thread. By far.

we have the worst LBs in the league(bottom 4 anyway)-the D line isnt getting pushed around as much as last year. Our DBs are above average.

Really?!!! Are you serious? Barnett had an amazing game and we weren't run against and still have given only 100 yard rushing game up. Bills fans are effing ridiculous!!

This Bills team won. I am happy about that. But turnovers or no turnovers, our defense is simply trash. The offense played not to lose in the second half and the defense played to lose. We still pulled it out, but seriously we are not a good football team right now. We have got to find a way to stop someone at some point or we won't make the playoffs. I know people will probably pour in here and talk about how I'm overly negative and as a Bills fan should be happy we aren't 0-5 but you guys can save your finger strength. I am happy. That said...this defense is utter trash and I was honestly confused about the play calling down the line. How many screens were we going to throw?

Anyway, just had to vent. We tried to give it away but failed. Thank God for that offsides b/c even w/ no time outs that Eagles team may have gotten a TD there. Cinci did came back on us last week, Eagles did the same this week they just shot themselves in the foot.

I think Chan and the coaching staff are too stupid to notice the weaknesses they need to work on. Because they won, they won't think they need to make any adjustments

You need to call 1 Bills drive first thing tomorrow morning and voice your concerns. Maybe all the coaching will do a conference call with you

I'm really not sure what the critics here thought this Bills team would or should look like after 5 games. To me they are far surpassing my expectations. If you thought they were the Montana led 49ers on offense with the '85 Bears on defense I guess I can understand the disappointment.

Christ guys, this team is one blown incompletion call away from being undefeated. Of course there's things to work on. They are a young team stacked with nobodies who are learning how to win on the fly. No, they don't know how to play with a lead yet. They were terrible last year. Don't expect them to be able to put teams away like the NFL elite.

This team is outperforming anyone's expectations for a team that had the 3rd overall pick. They'll keep working on things. It's absolutely ludicrous to say that because they won Gailey and the coaching staff are just going to ignore the faults on this team.

Getting McGee and or Williams back will be a big boost to an obviously outmatched secondary.

I'm really not sure what the critics here thought this Bills team would or should look like after 5 games. To me they are far surpassing my expectations. If you thought they were the Montana led 49ers on offense with the '85 Bears on defense I guess I can understand the disappointment.

good points

Obviously the d is allowing tons of yards, but they are much better against the run between the tackles and they are forcing turnovers like crazy. Wr Corp is getting dangerously thin...

But Id rather them first in the division and last in yards allowed than vice versa...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Wow some people just won't ever be happy. Compared to other defenses in this league and given the rules that basically cater to offenses our D is not that bad. Yes we still have a long way to go but it's been fine so far. We picked Brady 4 times. Bad defenses don't pick Brady 4 times. And I believe we have forced 15 turnovers in the first 5 games so far. Yes, we do give up a lot of yards and that is frustrating but it is definitely better than last year. We could choke throughout the rest of the season and miss out on the playoffs but for crying out loud we are 4-1. Most fans of teams that haven't been good in a while wouldn't be on here complaining about the defense like this over a 4-1 start. Enjoy the success we've had so far. And before 2008 is brought up, I think we have beaten some higher quality teams so far this year than the 08 team did.

Edited by Talley56

This Bills team won. I am happy about that. But turnovers or no turnovers, our defense is simply trash. The offense played not to lose in the second half and the defense played to lose. We still pulled it out, but seriously we are not a good football team right now. We have got to find a way to stop someone at some point or we won't make the playoffs. I know people will probably pour in here and talk about how I'm overly negative and as a Bills fan should be happy we aren't 0-5 but you guys can save your finger strength. I am happy. That said...this defense is utter trash and I was honestly confused about the play calling down the line. How many screens were we going to throw?

Anyway, just had to vent. We tried to give it away but failed. Thank God for that offsides b/c even w/ no time outs that Eagles team may have gotten a TD there. Cinci did came back on us last week, Eagles did the same this week they just shot themselves in the foot.

I completely agree. After 5 turnovers the game should not have come down to the final minute. There are some moments of brilliance that allow the W...but zero consistency. Today the defense was either amazing or horrible, but never good. The offense was channeling Jauron and Edwards. This team is going to collapse under its own nonsense. I really hope they sort out the porous D during the bye. If we can manage to not give up 400 yards a game I honestly see a playoff shot. But now I am absolutely waiting for the other shoe to drop.

:thumbsup: truth.

When they send LBs up to pressure the QB on every play, they're going to give up medium-range passes down the middle and allow a lot of yards after the catch. The coaching staff seemed to be OK with that as long as Vick got hurried and knocked around.

The collapse during the Cincy game worried me a bit, and this game didn't do anything to relieve those fears... but at the same time, I don't think you can use data from this game to go overly negative on the LB corps given the game plan they went ahead with.

We're hardly alone in giving up 450+ yards to NE*, Oakland, or Philly this year. Expecting a desperate Iggles team that's loaded with talent not to put up some numbers on this defense is unrealistic. IMO, the concerning game was last week when we couldn't stop the Bengals in the second half. Andy Dalton is not supposed to do that, at least not at this point in time. He had all day to sit back and throw the ball. Hit him last week like they blasted Vick at times today and we're 5-0.

Looking through the rest of the schedule, I'd expect that most of the season is going to be a track meet, with only the Skins, Phins, Denver, and possibly Tennessee and the Jets not putting up points with regularity. At least we can hang with the big boys on offense now. Beats watching a team check-down to the tune of 13 points per game while giving up 450+ on defense... doesn't it?

Edited by transient

Can a bad defense that consistently gets turnovers because of opportunistic play and aggressiveness be successful long term?

Didn't the mid-2000s Colts, the late 90s Rams, and just for fun, the Dallas Mavericks, prove that it can be done?

Can a bad defense that consistently gets turnovers because of opportunistic play and aggressiveness be successful long term?

Didn't the mid-2000s Colts, the late 90s Rams, and just for fun, the Dallas Mavericks, prove that it can be done?

It's not a bad defense. It has had to play against teams that are playing wide open. There are high risk/reward plays happening constantly and this defense has risen to the occasion pretty well. A bad defense doesn't come up with the turnovers that they should get when playing desperate teams. This defense does!