Poll: Is Fitz a Franchise QB or a That'll Do For Now Fill-in?

243 members have voted

1. 1. Fitz...Franchise or Fill-in?

• Franchise. He's a winner and a long-term starter.
    • Fill-in. Let him groom someone younger next season.
    • Undecided. I haven't seen enough yet.

Undecided. Why the rush to label him? Fitz is approximately at the second year starting QB point in the life cycle. He has looked great, but poeple need to remember he has still made some lousey throws too.

That PI call in the end zone made the difference in the game in my opinion and totally squelched the comeback effort. Let's see if he can string together a winning season while accumulating wins and confidence before needing to rule on wheather he is a "franchsie QB" or not.

He is the best QB on the team and certainly demonstrating he could be the best one in over a decade. Let's just wait and see where we are a few months from now.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. It's been three games people. Fitz has been pretty good the first three weeks, I'll give him that. But lets not forget he's still made some bonehead throws that easily could have left us sitting at 1-2 right now if not for luck (Chandler td against Raiders and the pass interference on the interception in the endzone against the Pats) or a good breakup by our WR (Jones against Raiders). If he keeps up this level of play through week 10 or 11 and we are legitimate playoff contenders then it might be time to start thinking about this guy as the longer term answer at QB.

For those who want to annoint the guy after three games, I've got two words for you: Derek Anderson.

Lol. It's been three games people. Fitz has been pretty good the first three weeks, I'll give him that. But lets not forget he's still made some bonehead throws that easily could have left us sitting at 1-2 right now if not for luck (Chandler td against Raiders and the pass interference on the interception in the endzone against the Pats) or a good breakup by our WR (Jones against Raiders). If he keeps up this level of play through week 10 or 11 and we are legitimate playoff contenders then it might be time to start thinking about this guy as the longer term answer at QB.

For those who want to annoint the guy after three games, I've got two words for you: Derek Anderson.

Brady made more than two bone headed plays last Sunday. I'm not suggesting that Fitz is as good as Brady, but c'mon... a handful of bad plays out of how many this year?

Leader? Check?

Smart? Check

Plays to win? Check.

Can make all the throws? Check.

His only downfall is that hes not the most accurate. And while he will probably neever be an elite "All Star" QB...a Manning or even Jim Kelly type, hes proven he can win in this league, run an offense and lead a team. Team have won Championships and contended for years with LESS than Fitz at QB.

Plays to win?? Thats a stretch.. find me players that dont want to win.

Do you think he can make all the throws in the sense that Brees and Brady can make all the throws? There are more variables to being a good quarterback than just those.. and as far as "proving he can win", I think he's still got a lot of proving to do. He's won 3 games this season and had a losing record last year!

Granted he has shown the ability to be a very good QB, but shouldnt we give him more time?

I like Fitz, but a franchise QB, I don't know. And my definition of franchise, is signing him to a 6+ year contract. He's been fortunate, he got away with a couple passes that should have been intercepted in the Oakland game. And one really bad pass in the NE game that was called pass interference. The Bills could easily be 1-2, but are 3-0 and winning is really all that matters. If I were the Bills, I would sign Fitz to a 3-4 year contract extension and if there is a QB they really like in the draft, take him and groom him under Fitz. if not, no hurry to find one.

He is the Franchise guy now... It gives the organization some time to decide how they want to address the position in the future. He might be the guy for a while or someone to help tutor a QB they draft.

Personally I don't think you can make any final judgement until after this season is complete. If we lose out is he still our Franchise QB? Week 3 is EARLY!!

I called him as good as any quarterback not named Peyton Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers or Roethlisberger. That is very high praise.

Elite status does have to by earned over the long haul, but you ever notice how most of the so called Elite QB's in the league also have a playoff/Championship caliber management/Coaching staff backing them up.

Plays to win?? Thats a stretch.. find me players that dont want to win.

By that I mean he plays hard and is aggressive.

Do you think he can make all the throws in the sense that Brees and Brady can make all the throws?

Last week he made late in the game a throw outside the numbers about 25-30 yards downfield for a completion. That is by far and away the most difficult throw to successfully make in the NFL. He is not as accurate as those other passers, no. But he has the ability to put the ball where it needs to be anywhere on the field at any time.

There are more variables to being a good quarterback than just those.. and as far as "proving he can win", I think he's still got a lot of proving to do. He's won 3 games this season and had a losing record last year!

Granted he has shown the ability to be a very good QB, but shouldnt we give him more time?

More time for what? To consider him the starter? He IS the starter. More time to say the position is not one of need anymore? Until he has shown he cannot do the job, that question is answered, too.

Again, I dont put him on the level of the elites...but hes pretty good and has proven he can be successfu,l thats for sure.

Edited by RkFast

With all the recent buzz on this board about wanting Fitz to groom a rookie QB next year, I'd like to know what fans really think about his long-term future.

Count this fan solidly in the long-term franchise QB corner.

I guess I don't understand the obsession over whether or not Fitz is or is not our quarterback for the long term. He is our quarterback for this season and if he continues to play anything like he has been, he will be our quarterback

next year too. If he suffers some sort of collapse and plays terribly the rest of the season, then we will be looking for a replacement. No matter how convinced anyone might be that he is the guy, I can't believe they would still hold that

opinion if he plays terribly over the next 13 games. And no matter how mediocre someone else might think he is, if he continues to play like this, even they would have to change their minds. Fortunately, we don't really need to predict this

and we certainly don't need to argue over those predictions. We can sit back and see how it all plays out. Yes he has played great, yes he played well last year too. I expect him to continue playing well. And he is just about the easiest quarterback

to root for we have had since I don't know when. But all that matters is production on the field.

Glad (thrilled, actually) to see questions like this rather than, "So how many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks should we give over the next decade to get Andy Luck?" :lol:

If someone like Matt Barkley is on the board in round one (that's just an example - it could be Ryan Tannenhill in the second, or some other prospect in a later round), Nix will think hard about getting a young QB in the system for a few years of development under Gailey/Fitz. But there's certainly no hurry - Fitz is only 28. Barring injury, the o-line is protecting him so well that he could play another 10 years!

That said, of course Fitz is a 'franchise QB' - and the Bills may actually be forced to use the 'franchise tag' on him next season, if they don't 'get off the schneid' on his contract extension...

Ferchrissakes, git 'er done, Buddy!!!

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

until we can consistently beat top tier teams in this league, make the playoffs, and not look at our games vs the Patriots as our Superbowl's then we can be content with who we have at QB. What we do have is a team that has enough talent where we can take a 2nd or a 3rd round draft pick and not expect him to become a starter in the near future. If the is a QB like Gabbert that falls into the 3rd we can take him and try to groom him for 2-3 years and be a backup.