Poll: Is Fitz a Franchise QB or a That'll Do For Now Fill-in?

243 members have voted

1. 1. Fitz...Franchise or Fill-in?

• Franchise. He's a winner and a long-term starter.
    • Fill-in. Let him groom someone younger next season.
    • Undecided. I haven't seen enough yet.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever came up with this term Franchise QB in the first place?

What is it based on? Here's what I THINK people mean: A QB that's good enough so that you don't draft a replacement for him. So Fitz is obviously our franchise QB because we passed on every college QB in the nation for the most critical position on the team (except Cam).

I agree with Gailey, its an ambiguous overused term with a million definitions. I'll say this: You don't buy stocks when they're at their peak and you don't sign players when they're hot (or coaches Ralph you dumbass signing Jauron after a win streak)

I LOVE Fitz, but if Ochocinco doesn't drop that pass, and the Oakland safety that was covering Chandler didn't let that pass go literally between his arms, we are 1-2 right now with our only win coming from KC, one of the worst in the league.

I'm actually an optimist, just pointing out that everyone needs to chill about signing Fitz and Freddy to long term deals right now. They're both making about $2 million a year and we'll retain both of them long term later in the season after things have shaken out and we drop a few games and don't have to pay insane money for these guys.

Lord knows we have the cap room, but I think.. a decent showing this year means this offseason the Bills are going to make a major splash in free agency cause the old man will see that we only need a few more pieces to be elite.

Either way, what a fun season so far. Fun for the fans and the players alike.

True enough that we're only a couple plays from being 1-2. But - not to nitpick - I think the Pats scored a TD anyway on the drive where Ochocinco dropped the pass so it was really a non-event. The bigger point is that most games come down to a couple key plays. Last year we lost 5 games by 5 points or less. We lost 3 in OT to playoff teams. So what? We still lost. The better team makes fewer mistakes. I don't know what the rest of the season has in store for us. But our offense seems capable and right now we deserve to be 3-0.

As for your stock analogy, if the Bills keep winning, the stock price will only go up. Which, of course, wouldn't be a bad problem to have. But I'd gamble and buy now before that happens.

Go Bills!

He is doing everything he needs to do and will get better with more experience. I think he can be as good as Drew Brees (even better), and is certainly good enough to win a Super Bowl. The best thing about him is that he has shown he can play well at critical moments and not blow it. He is better than Tony Romo (I think Jerry Jones would give Fitz a truckload of gold to play for Dallas!).

Keep improving the talent around him. and he can lead the Bills to the Promised Land.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Three games do not make a good sample. Trent Edwards 08, till Arizona. I'm not going to trip over myself to catch the bus quite yet. Show me with enough games to prove it, before the coronation. He does not have the strong arm and still throws some very wobbly and chooses questionable passes. So far he has gotten away with it. Give the defensive coaches of the other teams time to figure him out, then we will see how "real" he is. The winning is great fun, but let's slow down here and think.

I've been in lust with a lot of women early in our dating, sure glad I didn't rush out and marry them before the lust clouds cleared and I was able to see with the clarity of reality. In time reality has a way of showing you the whole picture, rather than the temporary "man crush" you might be experiencing. See what you think by the chill of December.

I voted undecided. He's playing at a higher level this season than he had last season. I'll need to see more than three games of this before declaring him franchise.

I also voted undecided. But Im glad to see so many votes for franchise. I want to label him that but its too early. Give him 6 more weeks to see if he can keep up with the season and if he is still playing with the same fire, I would definately franchise him.

I think us Bills fans have been down so long that now since the Bills play like a real NFL team, we are jumping the gun a tad.........

I don't think of Fitz as a franchise QB. That title brings to mind Kelly, Elway, Marino types. I think Fitz is Kelly's, smarter, less talented brother. He is tough, a gun slinger, has no fear and should be our QB for as long as he can be our QB. Let's see him go through an entire season and then figure out if he is the real deal. After 3 games, he is off to a good start.

To me the term "franchise QB" is reserved for only the elite quarterbacks in the league at a given time. Right now they are (Peyton Manning,) Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger and perhaps Vick. Fitzpatrick is about as good as any other quarterback in the league and is a good starter, making him worthy of a sizable contract extension. You don't have to have one of the 5 best quarterbacks in the game in order to win.

Because I don't like your "franchise QB or replacement needed" premise, I'm staying out of this poll.

3 weeks in, Ryan Fitzpatrick has the Bills off to a 3-0 start, is ranked 2nd in the NFL in QB rating, (in between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers)The 2011 Buffalo Bills have broken a Bills franchise record of scoring the most points ever in the first three games of a season at 113,(league high) and Fitzpatrick/Bills have just broken an NFL record for comebacks in back to back games.

This just in, Ryan Fitzpatrick is the franchise QB of the Buffalo Bills

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7020881/nfl-week-3-total-qbr-season-leaders

Edited by Fig Newton

3 weeks in, Ryan Fitzpatrick has the Bills off to a 3-0 start, is ranked 2nd in the NFL in QB rating, (in between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers)The 2011 Buffalo Bills have broken a Bills franchise record of scoring the most points ever in the first three games of a season at 113,(league high) and Fitzpatrick/Bills have just broken an NFL record for comebacks in back to back games.

This just in, Ryan Fitzpatrick is the franchise QB of the Buffalo Bills

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7020881/nfl-week-3-total-qbr-season-leaders

I'm well aware of the numbers, he is the quarterback of my fantasy team, which I named The Amish Rifle. I am ecstatic that we've finally found a quarterback. You'll have to excuse me if I don't think he's as good as Aaron Rodgers...

I'm well aware of the numbers, he is the quarterback of my fantasy team, which I named The Amish Rifle. I am ecstatic that we've finally found a quarterback. You'll have to excuse me if I don't think he's as good as Aaron Rodgers...

How about Fitzpatrick being a better QB then Brady for a day

Leader? Check?

Smart? Check

Plays to win? Check.

Can make all the throws? Check.

His only downfall is that hes not the most accurate. And while he will probably neever be an elite "All Star" QB...a Manning or even Jim Kelly type, hes proven he can win in this league, run an offense and lead a team. Team have won Championships and contended for years with LESS than Fitz at QB.

Edited by RkFast

Leader? Check?

Smart? Check

Plays to win? Check.

Can make all the throws? Check.

His only downfall is that hes not the most accurate. And while he will probably never be an elite "All Star" QB...a Manning or even Jim Kelly type, hes proven he can win in this league, run an offense and lead a team. Team have won Championships and contended for years with LESS than Fitz at QB.

Those QBs like Manning and Marino and Kelly are so so so so rare. We were spoiled with one for ten years and now we have Fitz. He is a leader like you said and the guys and coaches believe in him. Thats all I can ask for. He is undefeated this year and that is enough for me

Not accurate enough

Throws too many INTs

Not tall/big enough to be an elite QB in this league

Went to a non-AQ school

Too old

Can't groom himself

No one's even heard of this guy!

Seriously though, I'd like to see more this season to anoint him the next big thing -- imagine the DOOOOOM threads on here if he puts a couple bad losses together -- but Fitz is a very easy guy to like and there's a lot to be excited about! This thread also made me think about how in next year's draft we can focus on the trenches, defense, and depth instead of stressing out about the QB scenarios.

GO BILLS!