Poll: Is Fitz a Franchise QB or a That'll Do For Now Fill-in?

243 members have voted

1. 1. Fitz...Franchise or Fill-in?

• Franchise. He's a winner and a long-term starter.
    • Fill-in. Let him groom someone younger next season.
    • Undecided. I haven't seen enough yet.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for "franchise qb", and although i do believe in fitzmagic...I think franchise qb's do it year in and year out.

it sucks because his contract is up after the season i believe, and he lost alot of time behind trent. While he showed flashes of greatness last year, and is on fire this year...i'd like to see how the season plays out and next season to determine if he can maintain this high level of play. I guess we will see how he plays throughout the season. If it is like the first 3 games- Franchise him!

I feel it should be a combination of the all the choices. Fitz knows that the O-line is good but not great. Therefore you must get rid of the ball quickly. Both Thigpen in pre-season and Brohm at the end of last year held the ball too long and paid the price (I know they were playing behind second string lines at the time). A rookie will have to learn to get rid of the ball quickly or run for his life if he wants to avoid getting sacked. Fitz is also among the best in the league at reading defenses and making audibles. That is the result of film watching and experience. That is the kind of thing that should be learned over the course of a year or two with Fitz as a mentor. Kind of like Aaron Rodgers waiting for his turn behind Brett Favre in Green Bay. If a good QB is available, then he should be drafted, but right now it is not a priority. We all know that Fitz will make a few bone headed throws and sometimes the ball seems to slip out of his hand, but that seems to be a worthwhile tradeoff for somebody with his knowledge and instincts. I hesitate to credit too many of his abilities to experience, since he really has only had about two seasons as a starter. I feel as though he still has room to improve, especially if he can restrain himself from making some of those bone headed throws.

I thought Fitz was really good most of the time last season but he lost out on important snaps in training camp because they continued to be enamored with "everyday but Sunday" Edwards, so most of the season was getting comfortable with Chan and the other players and figuring out how to best utilize the skill sets of each.

I give the new regime full marks for realizing very quickly that Trent was a practice field Pro Bowler and that Fitz is probably the polar opposite. I'm even more amazed at how quickly they've jelled this season without OTAs and with the relative inexperience at WR and TE.

This team is on the verge of being something special if the defense can get its **** together and play up to its potential. Fitz' play and leadership are a big part of it.

I couldn't answer the poll. I think Fitz and Gailey are the perfect storm of a sort. I'm not talking Kurt Warner/Mike Martz perfect storm yet but so far so damn good! Gailey's offense with Fitz's ability to execute it seem to be VERY well suited. Right now their successes are truly linked to each other. Gailey has had some success with the Kordell Stewarts and Tyler Thigpens of the world but Fitz seems to really be in a system and environment right now that truly play to his strengths.

As long as Gailey is his coach and perhaps even more importantly his offensive coordinator Fitz IS a franchise QB! In reality I think "history" says whether a guy is a franchise guy not. Predicting whether a QB is a franchise guy or not requires a great deal of speculation and no one knows for sure. I would like more of a "history" to confirm my "speculation" that as long as Gailey is with him Fitz is THE GUY.

Edited by PDaDdy

I wish Fitz had a stronger arm and was more consistently accurate (especially on his deep balls).

But I still voted for him as our franchise QB. The offense is purring like a well-oiled machine and it's largely because of him. He's been accurate enough on the pass plays the Bills run for the Bills to average 38 points a game. He understands the offense, knows how and when to audible, even draws up new routes in the huddle. He's unfazed by bad luck and lopsided scores. He gives credit to his teammates who seem to respond really positively to him. His quick release is perfect for this offense.

All-in-all, I am very pleased with Fitz. According the the QBR ratings, he's the second-best QB in the NFL right now. How could anyone be unhappy with him?

I love what he's doing and I think he has taken great strides in working with his team mates and getting better. I think he has the capability to be a long term answer. He has not done it over a long period though. Until this season he had average numbers. I realize he threw for 3000 yards, but I don't believe that means what it used to. Teams give someone 2-3 years to fail, let's give him time to succeed. If he continues on the path he is on, by all means I lock him up long term and use my draft elsewhere. That's why I voted to wait to decide.

Edited by cowtippur

I love what he's doing and I think he has taken great strides in working with his team mates and getting better. I think he has the capability to be a long term answer. He has not done it over a long period though. Until this season he had average numbers. I realize he threw for 3000 yards, but I don't believe that means what it used to. Teams give someone 2-3 years to fail, let's give him time to succeed. If he continues on the path he is on, by all means I lock him up long term and use my draft elsewhere. That's why I voted to wait to decide.

Why wouldn't he have had average numbers when the teams he played on were so bad?

I voted undecided. He's playing at a higher level this season than he had last season. I'll need to see more than three games of this before declaring him franchise.

He played at a pretty high level during last Season also, Steelers-Ravens-Bengals 49-31 ring any bells? It was the rest of the team that stunk and was playing poorly

Someone mentioned a prefect storm earlier, well looking at this team so far. They are highest scoring team in the NFL so far, plus they are utilizing Fred Jackson quite a bit even tho he didn't break 100 yards against NE.

The "TEAM" is playing like a team, no mental mistakes or breakdowns in penalties that kill drives, no dropped passes, no fumbles. Perfect execution on almost all offensive plays. The Bills are playing hard nosed, inspired, tough, disciplined football right now.... Its a beautiful thing to behold . I didn't think Gailey and his coaching staff had it in them to be this good. Another thing to be aware of is the 1/2 time adjustments the last two games, freaking unbelievable.

Fitz has had 4 picks, but I suppose that it what you get with a 'gunslinger" vs someone who is afraid to throw into tight windows....I'll take the "gunslinger" every time.

Charley Casserly (ex-GM of the Redskins-Texans) on the NFL today show last Sunday openly stated he thinks Fitz is better then Kevin Kolb, who just signed an 11 million , 20 mil guaranteed contract with Arizona

I hate to be sarcastic on my own post, which I really wanted to get honest feedback on, and still do, but the people who want to wait and see, to me, will never be happy until Jesus Christ flies out of Fitz' beard.

What more do you want to see? Seriously, fellas? The dude is the first good QB we've had since Bledsoe and the first winner since Flutie. Last year was his FIRST year starting and he did damn good. He's doing more than damn good this year.

How much longer do you want to wait?

Why wouldn't he have had average numbers when the teams he played on were so bad?

I don't know, the Colts seem pretty bad now, but Manning always seems to have good numbers. All I said was wait and get a larger sample, I don't think that's unreasonable. It was given as an option in the poll.

I hate to be sarcastic on my own post, which I really wanted to get honest feedback on, and still do, but the people who want to wait and see, to me, will never be happy until Jesus Christ flies out of Fitz' beard.

What more do you want to see? Seriously, fellas? The dude is the first good QB we've had since Bledsoe and the first winner since Flutie. Last year was his FIRST year starting and he did damn good. He's doing more than damn good this year.

How much longer do you want to wait?

Sounds a lot like what was said about Edwards before his head got rattled. What's wrong with getting a half season under his belt? If he keeps it up all that will happen is the Bills will have to pay him, maybe more than they could today.

Edited by cowtippur

I don't know, the Colts seem pretty bad now, but Manning always seems to have good numbers. All I said was wait and get a larger sample, I don't think that's unreasonable. It was given as an option in the poll.

Sounds a lot like what was said about Edwards before his head got rattled. What's wrong with getting a half season under his belt? If he keeps it up all that will happen is the Bills will have to pay him, maybe more than they could today.

I never said that about Edwards. Back then, I didn't understand how defenses weren't figuring him out...and they eventually did. Fitz is no Edwards. Fitz' beard is no Edwards.

Case settled.

I never said that about Edwards. Back then, I didn't understand how defenses weren't figuring him out...and they eventually did. Fitz is no Edwards. Fitz' beard is no Edwards.

Case settled.

I respect your desire for a larger sample. But I think he's played better than any QB in recent memory over the past 16 samples.

When will that magic point be? The Bengals? The Jets? The Pats again? (don't think we're going to beat them twice) I really do wonder when his watershed moment will be that moves the undecided crowd.

He lacks the arm strength and that's where most of his poor throws come from. Look at how economically a brady or manning can just Zip it in there. With fitz he has to get his whole body involved like he's throwing a hail Mary. The real question is can he overcome that weakness with a superior intellect. Idk but we'll find out.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Whoever came up with this term Franchise QB in the first place?

What is it based on? Here's what I THINK people mean: A QB that's good enough so that you don't draft a replacement for him. So Fitz is obviously our franchise QB because we passed on every college QB in the nation for the most critical position on the team (except Cam).

I agree with Gailey, its an ambiguous overused term with a million definitions. I'll say this: You don't buy stocks when they're at their peak and you don't sign players when they're hot (or coaches Ralph you dumbass signing Jauron after a win streak)

I LOVE Fitz, but if Ochocinco doesn't drop that pass, and the Oakland safety that was covering Chandler didn't let that pass go literally between his arms, we are 1-2 right now with our only win coming from KC, one of the worst in the league.

I'm actually an optimist, just pointing out that everyone needs to chill about signing Fitz and Freddy to long term deals right now. They're both making about $2 million a year and we'll retain both of them long term later in the season after things have shaken out and we drop a few games and don't have to pay insane money for these guys.

Lord knows we have the cap room, but I think.. a decent showing this year means this offseason the Bills are going to make a major splash in free agency cause the old man will see that we only need a few more pieces to be elite.

Either way, what a fun season so far. Fun for the fans and the players alike.

Whoever came up with this term Franchise QB in the first place?

What is it based on? Here's what I THINK people mean: A QB that's good enough so that you don't draft a replacement for him. So Fitz is obviously our franchise QB because we passed on every college QB in the nation for the most critical position on the team (except Cam).

I agree with Gailey, its an ambiguous overused term with a million definitions. I'll say this: You don't buy stocks when they're at their peak and you don't sign players when they're hot (or coaches Ralph you dumbass signing Jauron after a win streak)

I LOVE Fitz, but if Ochocinco doesn't drop that pass, and the Oakland safety that was covering Chandler didn't let that pass go literally between his arms, we are 1-2 right now with our only win coming from KC, one of the worst in the league.

I'm actually an optimist, just pointing out that everyone needs to chill about signing Fitz and Freddy to long term deals right now. They're both making about $2 million a year and we'll retain both of them long term later in the season after things have shaken out and we drop a few games and don't have to pay insane money for these guys.

Lord knows we have the cap room, but I think.. a decent showing this year means this offseason the Bills are going to make a major splash in free agency cause the old man will see that we only need a few more pieces to be elite.

Either way, what a fun season so far. Fun for the fans and the players alike.

Well said.

My point, still...we have our guy. Let's stop thinking about who the next, and better guy, could be. Enjoy him. Pay him. Keep him around. Continuity is what makes winners.

To me the term "franchise QB" is reserved for only the elite quarterbacks in the league at a given time. Right now they are (Peyton Manning,) Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger and perhaps Vick. Fitzpatrick is about as good as any other quarterback in the league and is a good starter, making him worthy of a sizable contract extension. You don't have to have one of the 5 best quarterbacks in the game in order to win.

Because I don't like your "franchise QB or replacement needed" premise, I'm staying out of this poll.