Albany Newspaper Trashes Bills Nation

Obviously I've touched off a nerve. Or you're just having a rough day. Or, option three, you're just a cranky, lonely sycophant with nothing better to do than police people on a message board.

But, I guess those are the pratfalls of being so grown up...

Y'all two wanna get a room?

Exactly. Move on.

+3

Agreed, read some of Lori's old gameday previews and tell me that women do not know anything about sports.

Well, Duh. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, that chick in Albany clearly knows next to nothing about sports. And it's just human nature of people to generalize. Pattern matching is built into our genes, or something.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and Albany's number 2 team the Jets have some recent AFC Championship experience and then there's the other Albany/Saratoga favorite team the Patriots and their recent Vince Lombardi trophies.

So, why were Albany area Bills complaining in the first place? We haven't been to the playoffs in over ten seasons. And the Philadelphia Eagles are closer to Albany than the Buffalo Bills are.

Howard, you're a pain in the butt… and you're crusading now.

I think that the responses to the column reflected poorly on Bills fans.

But clearly there is a vocal and substantial number of Bills fans in the Albany area.

And the fact that the team has sucked for more than a decade and the Albany media outlets are still barraged by Bills fans demanding Bills coverage reflects very well on the passion of Bills fans in Albany and everywhere.

Obviously I've touched off a nerve. Or you're just having a rough day. Or, option three, you're just a cranky, lonely sycophant with nothing better to do than police people on a message board.

But, I guess those are the pratfalls of being so grown up...

We don't discuss politics and religion here.

There are other forums where those discussions take place.

The political/religious comments which are tolerated here are ones that are intelligent, funny, and don't make negative value judgements in the guise of "truth" (as if you're right and people who disagree are wrong).

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/forum/14-politics-polls-and-pundits/

Seriously though, what misguided idiot says to themselves, "I am gonna pick on the lovable losers of the NFL because everyone likes it when you beat up on losers. Also, I presume that because my garbage town is full of Giants fans no one will ever hear about this article outside of my city because the interwebs is weird and frightening to me." This lady is the most moronic sports writer I have ever heard of. Sullivan, Maiaonara, Leo Roth: they at least are paid to cover the Bills so they have to suffer with the rest watching sub par products being out on the field. But this hairy New England sycophant thinks she can pick a fight with us by saying we are all morons for believing in something that brings us together. I left western New York and moved down to NYC for school, for jobs like so many people do. The Bills are our calling card, our symbol of our home where many of us wish we could have stayed. In attacking the Bills and the fans who believe in them she attacked a community that has suffered for years and proven herself a smug, indolent, sophomoric writer. An ill-conceived piece that I hope ends her attachment to all things New York.

Alright, I feel better. As someone who wrote her an angry email, as many of us did, I feel that the comments some of us made went over the line. I defended the comments on her gender with the retort, "she started it all. What idiot starts something like this with beer swilling morons from the rust belt and then cries when things dont go her way." Blaming the victim is what that is. And it is very similar to arguments about how de-segregation was wrong because of the danger it would put black people in. Having said this, I hater her, hate her writing, her posting of the angrier comments like it was making a statement. She deserved every bit of vitriol that she received but it is wrong, to repeat: very wrong, to rag on her for being a lady. A terrible sportswriter who doesn't understand what she is doing, sure say it all day. Some sort of demon sent to torment me as i watch the Bills play always wondering when the next collapse will come, of course she is. But to say things like "stay in the kitchen" or to rag on her appearance, while satisfying to me in a way that makes me feel a little sick, is very wrong and should not be tolerated. We here on the boards go on endless debates whenever a racial issue is touched on even when they are relatively benign. This is not benign, this is not right gentleman. I hate her so much for being a moron, for ragging on me and "my" team. We should not be demeaning her as a woman though, just as a stupid, stupid human being.

The people who responded to her poorly written article played into her plans and started or extended her 15 minutes. Ignore her and she'll go away.

^^

Well, you called it. The fans that trashed her have now given her a bigger stage.

I avoided this thread and will propbably regret jumping in here, but to the people that wrote the negative comments to the first article you did nothing to help the perception of Bills fans or the city. You only reinforced her point.

My dealings with people from Albany go back to the late 70's and early 80's. I was a student at RIT and even back then the Albany people that I met where Giants fans and they seeemed to enjoy mocking both Buffalo and Rochester. I sensed some kind elitest attitude because they were from the state capitol. Later, I lived in Pittsfield, MA and worked for GE as a coop student (intern). There were many Albany people working at GE at the time. The Bills were in the best part of the Chuck Knox era and even then there was no kinship between them and the Bills. They were Giants/Jets fans and they had an arrogance to them. My exposure to people from Albany was not good.

Let's cross Albany of the list of potential Bills turf and move on.

Who cares what this writer thinks. Let's not validate her any further by writing her back.

Edited by Bob in STL

I live in Renn. County and get "The Record" out of Troy. They are the same as Union. All N.J. Giants and N.J. Jets. On the other hand the Berkshire Eagle out of Pittsfield MA. had us on the front page after beating NE and had nice things to say about us and bad things to say about the Pats and Bill. They sure hate to loose.

"Good people" are not people who are sexist bigots. A "good" action would be a well worded letter to her editor, not throwing tantrums on the internet behind anonymity.

Well put. Anyone who thinks that they have somehow done a good thing by slinging neanderthalian sexist comments is an idiot. There are so many ways to express intelligent disagreement with a newspaper column; none of them involve references to gender or other stereotypes. Any sensible person should recognize that.

That's what I keep saying!

P.S. I'm from Syracuse and the Orange lost today - in overtime. To me, it's not a good sign for tomorrow's Bills game. Hope I'm wrong!

One has absolutely, positively nothing to do with the other. I think.

And next week: Giants-Seahawks, not Bills-Eagles, on Syracuse TV at 1 p.m., according to Ch. 68 web site. Start calling now!!

^^

Well, you called it. The fans that trashed her have now given her a bigger stage.

I avoided this thread and will propbably regret jumping in here, but to the people that wrote the negative comments to the first article you did nothing to help the perception of Bills fans or the city. You only reinforced her point.

My dealings with people from Albany go back to the late 70's and early 80's. I was a student at RIT and even back then the Albany people that I met where Giants fans and they seeemed to enjoy mocking both Buffalo and Rochester. I sensed some kind elitest attitude because they were from the state capitol. Later, I lived in Pittsfield, MA and worked for GE as a coop student (intern). There were many Albany people working at GE at the time. The Bills were in the best part of the Chuck Knox era and even then there was no kinship between them and the Bills. They were Giants/Jets fans and they had an arrogance to them. My exposure to people from Albany was not good.

Let's cross Albany of the list of potential Bills turf and move on.

Who cares what this writer thinks. Let's not validate her any further by writing her back.

Not sure why I am validating your post Bob, but that was some pretty harsh stuff about people from the CD. Quid pro quo....could it have been YOU that was offensive in YOUR behavior towards "those Albany people"? Before YOU cross US off YOUR list, stop back this way some time and catch a Bills game with us. You may not like everyone, but there will probably be a few of us that are good natured who also happen to enjoy our beloved Buffalo Bills.

For PearlHowardMan, I hear that the Bills game may not be carried next week in the Syracuse area in favor of the Giants-Seahawks game. How does it feel to walk in our shoes....

For PearlHowardMan, I hear that the Bills game may not be carried next week in the Syracuse area in favor of the Giants-Seahawks game. How does it feel to walk in our shoes....

In Utica, the Fox game is Giants-Seahawks. The CBS game is TBD. At least that is what it says now.

While I certainly don't condone the nastiest comments sent her way (which, by the way, were par for the course as far as anonymous internet posters go...i.e. racism, sexism, violence and all-around buffoonery), her article that she defends as "good-natured ribbing" lacked any good-natured tone whatsoever. It definitely sounded as though she had an axe to grind of some sort and the whole article came off as passive-aggressive and hostile. Anyway, that aspect is lost among the fervor surrounding the comments. Now she gets more press than she's probably ever had.

Not sure why I am validating your post Bob, but that was some pretty harsh stuff about people from the CD. Quid pro quo....could it have been YOU that was offensive in YOUR behavior towards "those Albany people"? Before YOU cross US off YOUR list, stop back this way some time and catch a Bills game with us. You may not like everyone, but there will probably be a few of us that are good natured who also happen to enjoy our beloved Buffalo Bills.

Harsh? Sorry if I was harsh. I did not mean to be harsh or show any disrespect to the Albany Bills fans. I would expect that there are a lot of WNY transplants in the area. How many are in your Albany Bills Backers chapter?

My past experience, which is way past (as in 1977 thru 1981), is that Albany is Giants territory, with some Jets fans too. Once upon a time we Bills fans were the subject of Bills jokes and slurs about Buffalo and Rochester from the good folks from the CD (kind of like in Ms. Gish’s article only 30 years prior). I am sure these fine citizens were only joking and there were no hard feelings either way, just college kid stuff.

My point about crossing Albany off the list as Bills territory is more geographical and is proven by the TV networks and which game the select to cover. Why would an Albanite (or is it Albanian?) drive 5+ hours to a Bills game when he can go to a Giants/Jets game in half the time? Do the Bills market heavily in the area like they do in Rochester and in Southern Ontario?

I go to Binghamton for business on occasion and watch Bills games with majority Jets and Giants fans in the sports bars. If I ever get to the fair city of Albany again I will look up the Albany Bills Backers. If you ever make it out to St. Louis please come watch the game with the Bills Backers in our town.

Cheers!

While I certainly don't condone the nastiest comments sent her way (which, by the way, were par for the course as far as anonymous internet posters go...i.e. racism, sexism, violence and all-around buffoonery), her article that she defends as "good-natured ribbing" lacked any good-natured tone whatsoever. It definitely sounded as though she had an axe to grind of some sort and the whole article came off as passive-aggressive and hostile. Anyway, that aspect is lost among the fervor surrounding the comments. Now she gets more press than she's probably ever had.

Its her 15 minutes of fame. But hey, you never know, it might turn in to a couple of Milkbone commercials too.