Albany Newspaper Trashes Bills Nation

Channel 6 is making sure everyone knows the Bills/Bengals game is on Sunday. They led off the sports with the story after rumors started that they were showing Pittsburgh/Houston & have it on their website:

http://www.cbs6albany.com/articles/sunday-1288121-game-bills.html

lol! Sounds like the Bills fans are finally winning the battle now that the team is good again!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would as well. Have you been to New Hampshire or Maine? For the most part they're very nice.

I've traveled and vacationed in New Hampshire several times and actually lived in Maine for about a year and a half. I really liked both places.

Spent a week in the Adirondacks this summer and found myself very relieved to have chosen to be as far North of Albany as I did.

Maybe I'm just too much of a country boy but I did not care for the Albany area at all.

I would love to say you're kidding but I think you take this far too seriously. You're overstating the case a wee bit, don't you think? Nonetheless, this is certainly not worth arguing over.

Agreed. I admit I've complained in recent years, but for legitimate reasons. For example, CBS6 trying to show Indy at Minnesota over Buffalo at Jacksonville when the Jets, Giants, and Patriots were all playing at different times. It's silly decisions like this that make us annoyed. There is still a large contingent of Buffalo fans in this area and when the local media disses the Bills, it legitimately calls for complaints.

Gish's column was unprofessional, especially considering she gave the impression that she was going to write something positive. Whether she's a fan of the Giants, Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, or the f'in Seahawks doesn't matter. I hate and loathe the Cowboys - but that won't allow me to publicly blast their fans just because they're Cowboys fans. That appears to be what she did - blast us just because we're Bills fans.

It's too bad the game wasn't televised here on Sunday - she would've probably gotten sick at the sight of the Bills winning.

Edited by BuffaloWings

A local Albany Parenting Blogger turned sports columnist wrote a horrible piece that beats up on an 82 year old woman for liking the Bills...Amongst other attacks.

You can read it on the Albany Times Union's Website. I am not posting the link because I don't want to give her the pleasure of the increased direct link views.

The Albany Bills Backers have responded. Read our Response.

I'm from Albany. This is just a lady with no career trying to "spark" interest in her uninformed, poorly written garbage. You could even send emails to the editor. Probably wouldn't be hard to get her canned.

It's strange that a newspaper would call out a segment of their readers with such venom. The only response would be don't go to their website or buy their papers. Do they cover the Pats alot in Albany? Or is it mainly Giants/Jets?

The coverage in Albany goes like this...Giants first and foremost (heck the Giants training camp is here). Jets second, being far outnumbered by Giants fans. Then the Bills. Actually the Patriots get almost no coverage of any kind here, other than national style coverage due to their dominance .

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Not sure if any of you guys got a response from Ms. Gish, but I did.

Here is her response:

Jonathan,

Just wanted to say congratulations on the win and thanks for your note. It was a great game, and the Bills certainly proved something.

Best,

Jennifer

Jennifer Gish

Features reporter/Sports columnist

Times Union

Albany, N.Y.

(518) 454-5089

jgish@timesunion.com

http://blog.timesunion.com/parenting

Man, she may have been off base with her column, but the brain-dead trogs who wrote those responses to her should be ashamed of themselves. All that name-calling is not only out of line, it allowed her to sidestep the meanness of her own piece by presenting herself as a victim.

Man, she may have been off base with her column, but the brain-dead trogs who wrote those responses to her should be ashamed of themselves. All that name-calling is not only out of line, it allowed her to sidestep the meanness of her own piece by presenting herself as a victim.

I wholeheartedly agree. Wow. some of those responses were just ridiculous.

Bunch of mouth-breathers, they are.

That was embarrassing.

You knew she'd portray herself as a victim, and "passionate" Bills fans can be counted on the give her the ammo. She is a hack with an axe to grind and anyone with half a brain can tell that. All we can think about when writing any response is "You stay classy San Diego, er...Bills fans"

My censored response is as follows, because I was highly offended:

I am a well educated, compassionate, thoughtful, and caring man. I still am after reading your article, but my response will not be erudite or clever; that I promise you.

Simply put, "forget" you you stupid, arrogant, thoughtless "beatch", and stick all of your snide Bills comments up your "rump", if there enough room for it with all of the "poop" coming down the other way.

That felt good... if they don't want more Bills fans calling them and emailing them with colorful responses, then maybe they'll stop allowing that sort of 'journalism' to be published. You don't pick on an 82 year old woman and make fun of her to make a point- that REALLY PD me off.

You made the paper...congratulations??? You and everyone else who wrote in similar fashion should be ashamed of yourselves.

I'm glad she made point to say that it was the minority of feedback that was of this tone and not indicative of all of Bills Nation.

Personal shots about her being a woman, not being attractive, threatening her, seriously? Personally, as a Bills fan, those responses were embarrassing.

Edited by Mark80

Seriously. Jesus. What a bunch of buffoons. Those are like 5th grade responses to someone who just stole their lunch money.

You made the paper...congratulations??? You and everyone else who wrote in similar fashion should be ashamed of yourselves.

I'm glad she made point to say that it was the minority of feedback that was of this tone and not indicative of all of Bills Nation.

Personal shots about her being a woman, not being attractive, threatening her, seriously? Personally, as a Bills fan, those responses were embarrassing.

I am not embarrassed one bit. Her column was highly insulting and she earned all of the highly negative responses. I believe in an eye for an eye, and just because you do not doesn't make you any better of a human being than me. Doing nothing or allowing her to get a free pass is despicable to me, but hey, if that's what you believe in than so be it. I didn't threaten her or say anything about her looks, but I sure as heck let her have it for how she came off and how she treated those people who were nothing more than dedicated fans who did NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!! No free passes for those people, ever.

I could have worded that same response in the most esoteric, intelligent sounding language possible and STILL had the same thoughts expressed, but since her vulnerability was with crude insults in the form of cursing, I hit her verbally where it wounds the most.

I don't care if she calls herself a victim, but people for centuries have manipulated the facts to portray themselves as innocent victims. This is nothing new, and I for one am not surprised in the least. Like I said, I didn't threaten her or assault her looks, but I DID assault her language and her tone, and told her what she could do with said language, which of course could not literally be done. I find the whole affair amusing!

Edited by BmoreBills

I am not embarrassed one bit. Her column was highly insulting and she earned all of the highly negative responses. I believe in an eye for an eye, and just because you do not doesn't make you any better of a human being than me. Doing nothing or allowing her to get a free pass is despicable to me, but hey, if that's what you believe in than so be it. I didn't threaten her or say anything about her looks, but I sure as heck let her have it for how she came off and how she treated those people who were nothing more than dedicated fans who did NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!! No free passes for those people, ever.

I could have worded that same response in the most esoteric, intelligent sounding language possible and STILL had the same thoughts expressed, but since her vulnerability was with crude insults in the form of cursing, I hit her verbally where it wounds the most.

I don't care if she calls herself a victim, but people for centuries have manipulated the facts to portray themselves as innocent victims. This is nothing new, and I for one am not surprised in the least. Like I said, I didn't threaten her or assault her looks, but I DID assault her language and her tone, and told her what she could do with said language, which of course could not literally be done. I find the whole affair amusing!

Ok, so of the 14 responses that she quoted there, yours was the only one that was cool? I'm really glad she kept in that one appropriate response to show the other 13 how it should have been done. Thanks.

Also, she did not portray herself as a victim at all. She clearly wrote that most responses gave her some jabs and that those were expected and, in fact, welcomed. However, the idiot few (yours being one) wrote things like this...

Edited by Mark80