Jackson annoyed by contract

Beerball

The Buffalo Bills are in the business of making money and Fred Jackson is in the business of making money. The team uses and has used its leverage in the situation to pay him the least they can; Fred is interested in building his leverage to force the team to pay him the most they can. I don't really see either side's financial interest as morally superior - it's a business, I expect both sides to pursue their financial goals.

This. x1000

I'm not sure why anyone needs to take "sides" here. Fred wants more money, the Bills want to keep their salaries down to maximize profit. This is a business on both sides.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know full well that the NFL is a business. This isn't a feel good exercise and owners aren't usually prone to paying players (who are currently under contract) more money because the fans happen to like him. Is there any precedent for a feel good raise in the NFL?

It is a business, as are the Bills. There are many ways to run a business, however. Some people run their businesses by putting value on their "people" and take care of them with good wages and nice perks, fostering loyalty and happy workers. Usually this style is the hallmark of a well run business that does well. People line up thousands deep trying to work at that company. Another way is to count every penny, pay less than the average wage, and jettison workers/cut corners to jiggle the bottom line a little. This style is usually the hallmark of a company that has lost it's way and is on the way down. Those who can't find work anywhere else reluctantly apply to work at this company.

Which one sounds like the way Ralph has been running the Bills for years?

Pay Fred Jackson. It's not because 'the fans happen to like him', but because he's way outperforming his wage scale. People in 'business' get performance raises/bonuses all the time.

Fred is a victim of timing in this one. He just got a new contract not long ago, and by the time this one expires he will be 32. No 32 year old back is getting a pay day. He's 30 right now, so this is his last hope/chance at a contract on par with starting feature-backs. I wouldn't give him a new contract, but it would be cool if the Bills offered up some performance based bonuses and incentives for the next 2-3 years. Some type of contract esacalator.

I don't know the details of his current deal, maybe he already has some nice enhancements built in.

Who said anything about a huge contract?

People keep writing things like "highest paid" and "huge contract."

I thought we were talking about fairness and respect here?

I would like to see Fred Jackson playing under a fair contract… not one he signed when he was Marshawn Lynch's backup and when he was a restricted free agent.

What am I missing?

In my original response i said 3 years at 5 mil a season.

front load it.

And the fact he signed it while Marshawns back up is irrelevant really.

He wouldn't have gotten a better deal anywhere else.

Lets also remember it was the Bills who found Freddy and gave him his shot...i mean if we are being Fair.

I think people should stop using stats like this to prove points. The reason the average lifespan of an NFL player is so short is because so many sucky players last one or two years. The average lifespan of good to great NFL players is like 10-12 years. Good to great running backs 9-10, on average.

Granted, the last couple three years for those RBs they are usually on the decline, sometimes quickly. But good RBs usually play 7-8 very good years.

Just look at the top, say, 100.

http://www.pro-footb..._yds_career.htm

How many players suffered a career ending injury before they hit 7-8 years? Guys that could have become HoFers but a severe injury-concussions didn't allow them. The NFL is riddled with players just like that and not just sucky players. Ask Bo Jackson(4yrs)-Terrell Davis (7yrs)Gale Sayers played 5 years ( injured knee 2x and really played 6 years)and is IN the HOF but just imagine what records he could have broken if he played more then SIX measly years. Still don't buy it...ask Kevin Everett (2 yrs) as the list is almost endless...

My take is FJ is as good if not better then y2k, AD because he is getting it done on an inferior team. Just imagine what this guy could do if he played for the Patriots or Jets and their very good O lines

PAY>>>THE>>>MAN

None.

He makes 1.75 mil this year and 1.83 mil next year flat.

He's not only underpaid, he's grossly underpaid.

do you think he thought he was underpaid when he signed this deal or do you think he was happy with it?

he signed a 4 year deal that he was obviously happy with and just started year 3...he should finish the year strong and work on a new deal after this season

In my original response i said 3 years at 5 mil a season.

front load it.

And the fact he signed it while Marshawns back up is irrelevant really.

He wouldn't have gotten a better deal anywhere else.

Lets also remember it was the Bills who found Freddy and gave him his shot...i mean if we are being Fair.

So just to be clear. "You're were paid a backup's salary as a backup, but now you're a starter" isn't relevant to paying him like a starter.

But "You'd be nothing without us, so shut up" you're okay with.

do you think he thought he was underpaid when he signed this deal or do you think he was happy with it?

he signed a 4 year deal that he was obviously happy with and just started year 3...he should finish the year strong and work on a new deal after this season

I know pretty much for a fact that he was not happy with his earlier contract. Part of it may have been that he made a mistake and hired the wrong agent, but nobody wanted to represent him because he was a nobody. He fired his agent for making such a crappy deal and now has a new one that is trying to do a new deal with the Bills. The old one, if I'm not mistaken, is back to ambulance chasing.

I know pretty much for a fact that he was not happy with his earlier contract. Part of it may have been that he made a mistake and hired the wrong agent, but nobody wanted to represent him because he was a nobody. He fired his agent for making such a crappy deal and now has a new one that is trying to do a new deal with the Bills. The old one, if I'm not mistaken, is back to ambulance chasing.

that sounds pretty weak to me...an agent isnt going to shy away from a guy they know is going to get a contract and play for a few years

that sounds pretty weak to me...an agent isnt going to shy away from a guy they know is going to get a contract and play for a few years

I assume you're talking about the second agent? The first agent he signed with was when Fred was a nobody. The agent's name was Jerome Douglas. Look at this and try to stop from laughing...

http://www.integritysports.net/home/index.jsp

Sometime after the contract that Douglas negotiated for Jackson with the Bills, Fred fired him. Now he has a different agent.

I assume you're talking about the second agent? The first agent he signed with was when Fred was a nobody. The agent's name was Jerome Douglas. Look at this and try to stop from laughing...

http://www.integritysports.net/home/index.jsp

Sometime after the contract that Douglas negotiated for Jackson with the Bills, Fred fired him. Now he has a different agent.

You beat me to it, I was going to post the same link. Wonder if Jackson knows that his image is still being used by Douglas?

Freddie had no choice during his last set of negotiations. He was an ERFA, and had no options other than 1) accept the cheap offer the Bills gave him, 2) play under the 1 year 460,000 tender, or 3) holdout and not play football. He's owed a raise for not only his on the field contributions, but if for no other reason than to show othr potential FAs that the Bills treat their players right, and if you earn it, you'll get paid.

If Freddie signed his deal as a UFA, this would be a different story. But he had no wiggle room being an ERFA.

Freddie had no choice during his last set of negotiations. He was an ERFA, and had no options other than 1) accept the cheap offer the Bills gave him, 2) play under the 1 year 460,000 tender, or 3) holdout and not play football. He's owed a raise for not only his on the field contributions, but if for no other reason than to show othr potential FAs that the Bills treat their players right, and if you earn it, you'll get paid.

If Freddie signed his deal as a UFA, this would be a different story. But he had no wiggle room being an ERFA.

he signed the deal which at the time was a nice raise for an undrafted guy that played in the world league

did the Bills not show that they treat their players right by giving an extension to Kyle Williams who obviously deserved it?

are they not continuing to show it by working on extensions for Fitz and Johnson who are both free agents after this season?

didnt they resign Florence this offseason when he was a free agent and give him a nice raise?

I am by no means a blind loyalist but all this show players they will pay them is BS

Fred's more than earned a new contract. Give him a four year contract (including this year) with a nice signing bonus to cover his dissatisfaction and the guaranteed $$ front loaded. That would cover this year and next year. After that, if age has caught up with him we can cut him no biggie, but if he's still good he stands to make proper $$.

IMO proper allocation of guaranteed/non-guaranteed $$ should make everybody happy.

I think Fred is one of those rarest of players who gives his all no matter what, everytime he takes the field. Hell, he's proving it right now.

Bills mgmt needs to make this happen.

Edited by GaryPinC

he should finish the year strong and work on a new deal after this season

Fred's going to finish the year strong anyway because he's a good guy like that, but what makes you think the Bills are going to give him a new contract after the season?

This is already going to be his third consecutive year being hugely underpaid. He has no reason to trust the Bills.

And quite frankly, I don't think the Bills are going to ever reward him. He's just in an unfortunate situation where all his money is going to his backup. I don't think Ralph is going to pay for two big money backs.

Fred's going to finish the year strong anyway because he's a good guy like that, but what makes you think the Bills are going to give him a new contract after the season?

This is already going to be his third consecutive year being hugely underpaid. He has no reason to trust the Bills.

And quite frankly, I don't think the Bills are going to ever reward him. He's just in an unfortunate situation where all his money is going to his backup. I don't think Ralph is going to pay for two big money backs.

third consecutive year he is supposedly being underpaid with a contract he SIGNED

this is his first year as the full time starter from day 1 so saying its his third year being underpaid is a little bit of a reach

what makes you think they wont give him a new contract? they gave one to Williams and are trying to resign Fitz and Johnson who are higher priorities which for some reason people just dont understand

the point is they dont have to give him a new deal at this time and have more pressing needs with players that are actually free agents after this year

lets say they give him a new deal now and he ends up having a monster season, are they supposed to give him another one next year?

and whats wrong with having Jackson play with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder?

Edited by Max997

third consecutive year he is supposedly being underpaid with a contract he SIGNED

Eh. A contract getting re-done when a player outperforms it by a wide margin is SOP for the NFL.

this is his first year as the full time starter from day 1 so saying its his third year being underpaid is a little bit of a reach

No it's not a stretch. If we can't agree on this, we can't agree on anything.

the point is they dont have to give him a new deal at this time and have more pressing needs with players that are actually free agents after this year

The front office should have the ability to multitask. If Spiller weren't making a lot of money already, it'd already be done, imo.

lets say they give him a new deal now and he ends up having a monster season, are they supposed to give him another one next year?

The problem isn't that he's slightly underpaid; it's that he's VERY underpaid. His performance far outexceeded his contract for two seasons already. He shouldn't have had to deal with a third. But life is unfair sometimes.

Edited by Ozymandius

Such a weird situation with a guy who just cant gey money's worth. He has absolutely no leverage from a bargaining point of view but is in the top tier of offensive weapons in the entire NFL. Fred is an unusual physical specimen. It is quite possible that he can maintain this production until age 34-35 but he negotiates his next contract he will be 32. Again a weak bargaining position. Thats why Fred needs a deal now. They should extend him for 2 more years and pay him 3 mill a year, 6 mill guaranteed.