Jackson annoyed by contract

Beerball

This will be an emerging issue with bills players if they continue to win and elevate their profile in the league media. Fitz, fred, sj, levitre and others will want big time deals. Only one I'm comfortable giving one to is sj. Fred is getting old and fitz still needs to show me more. huge money for a guard is also questionable.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that is a viable argument in the Bills favor at all, to be honest. They are middle of the road at RB, with CJ at a #9 overall which is a good amount but not huge, Fred not much, and McIntyre and White for pennies.

Furthermore, they are paying pennies at TE.

They are paying less than pennies at WR with a #7 pick, and three UDFA (until Stevie signs)

They are paying pennies at LT, RT, RG, less than average at LG and only C is above average, and not by much.

At QB it is middle of the road, but only because the #2 makes decent money and you have to include the #3 who makes a lot for a #3. But it's still less than half of what most teams likely pay at that position.

Oh, I agree with you. My point wasn't they are spending a lot at RB for an NFL team. I'm saying, they're spending a lot "for the Bills."

It might just be habit, but I expect the Bills to cheap out with Freddy.

I could be wrong.

This will be an emerging issue with bills players if they continue to win and elevate their profile in the league media. Fitz, fred, sj, levitre and others will want big time deals. Only one I'm comfortable giving one to is sj. Fred is getting old and fitz still needs to show me more. huge money for a guard is also questionable.

Wow.

And they call Ralph stingy.

I'm glad you're not the owner of the Bills.

It's not even your money and you don't want to pay it.

What a dispirited and disillusioned football team you would have.

No one would want to play for your team… it would be even worse than it is now.

Even Ralph is at least talking to Stevie AND Fitz right now…

I'm a little annoyed by these "shut up and play" posts.

Dude is being the "good soldier" and going out and getting it done. He signed a back up contract, outplayed it becoming the starter for the last 2 years beating out 2 first rounders, and guys like you tell him to shut up and take what he gets.

And don't give me this bull **** about honoring the contract he signed. If the he underperformed they'd have cut him outright. That sword cuts both ways. -see David Garrard

Shut your potty mouth. Don't put words in my mouth and insunuate you know my thoughs by what I typed. I just want him to shut up and play period. No "good soldier" complains about not getting the start in preseason and then when the team is 2-0 starts complaining about his contract.

I think he's worth more money, I think NFL contracts are one sided in favor of the teams, and I still think he needs to shut up.

He's a 30 year old running back with 25 year old tread on him. I'm annoyed he's acting like a 25 year old when he's 30. He's quoted as saying he's not letting the off field stuff effect what he needs to do on the field. Well guess what Jackson, you're distracting me from enjoying a 2-0 start. Shut up and play.

Listen, Fred just got an extension in 2009. It was, looking back on it, one of the few shrewd moves the FO has made. He got roughly 8 million guaranteed if I remember. Not bad for someone who was, at the time, a 27 year old back up running back. Now that he is a starter and having a pro bowl type year, I can understand why he wants more money.

1] It was a four year deal for 7.5 mil. Less than 2 mil was guaranteed. Each year was less than 2 million I think.

2] It wasn't really an extension, he was a RFA. They tendered him an offer at $460,000

3] He was the starter.the last game of the season rushed for 137 and started three games. He had 130 carries, a very good 4.39 average, caught 37 passes, returned some KO and some PR. At the very least he was the third down back, top reserve and sometimes starter.

4] He had never made any money, and he never had a chance at playing full time in the NFL. This was going to be his chance. Some fans say he didn't have to sign the contract, well he really did. If he held out for what he was worth he would be jeopardizing the one chance he had after being thwarted everywhere. The Bills took advantage of it, and him, and gave him a crappy offer. I think he even fired his agent afterwards.

5] Every year he has played he has outplayed his contract, except perhaps his first year when he wasn't allowed in the games (he averaged over 5 YPC when he did)

You're looking at this rationally. What you want an 'old for a RB' player to do is wait. Wait through 14 more games. Wait through 20+ touches per game. Wait through many other plays where he's called on to block. Wait until he gets injured. Wait while Williams is extended. Wait while Fitzpatrick is potentially extended. Wait while Johnson is potentially extended. Wait while he's risking his livlihood every time he steps on the field. Wait because his last agent was a putz and got taken by the Bills.

You want the most important player in terms of effort & ability on this team to wait and you want him to be happy (or at least silent)about it.

I know it goes against the grain and I never thought I'd say this about ANY player. Fred Jackson deserves to be extended because of what he has already accomplished as much or more than what he has yet to accomplish. To my mind he is that important to the team (past, present, future).

Some decisions deserve to be made for more than business reasons.

I get what you are saying.

And maybe the Bills will do that...i doubt it, and so do you(i bet).

Those other guys you listed, to the best of my knowledge, havent said a word.

All i said was wait till the end of the season. If Freddy is amoung the best in the league then, pay him a reasonable 3 year deal, front loaded of course.

What happens if you give Freddy some huge contract now? And in 2 years he cant play. And you have some of these other young guys that are on the team now comming up for contract?

It is a business. They get paid very well to play a game. Freddy is still making 1.75m this year. Come on, not sure what you do for a living, but how many years would you have to work to make that?

I dont begrudge him or anyone for wanting to get paid. All for it,

But i also have to see the Bills point of view.

Shut your potty mouth. Don't put words in my mouth and insunuate you know my thoughs by what I typed. I just want him to shut up and play period. No "good soldier" complains about not getting the start in preseason and then when the team is 2-0 starts complaining about his contract.

I think he's worth more money, I think NFL contracts are one sided in favor of the teams, and I still think he needs to shut up.

He's a 30 year old running back with 25 year old tread on him. I'm annoyed he's acting like a 25 year old when he's 30. He's quoted as saying he's not letting the off field stuff effect what he needs to do on the field. Well guess what Jackson, you're distracting me from enjoying a 2-0 start. Shut up and play.

So this is all about you… he should consider your feelings above his career compensation?

How about you consider the fact that your post is annoying a bunch of other people…

It's mind-boggling to me that less than one year ago, this team gave Chris Kelsay a 5-year, $28.2 million contract but there are posters here who don't think Fred Jackson deserves a fair raise… and think he should shut up.

He's underpaid. If he shuts up he stays underpaid.

His only hope of not being underpaid is being honest with his dissatisfaction.

In pro sports, teams show how much they respect a player in one way and one way only… WITH MONEY.

What happens if you give Freddy some huge contract now? And in 2 years he cant play. And you have some of these other young guys that are on the team now comming up for contract?

It is a business. They get paid very well to play a game. Freddy is still making 1.75m this year. Come on, not sure what you do for a living, but how many years would you have to work to make that?

I dont begrudge him or anyone for wanting to get paid. All for it,

But i also have to see the Bills point of view.

Who said anything about a huge contract?

People keep writing things like "highest paid" and "huge contract."

I thought we were talking about fairness and respect here?

I would like to see Fred Jackson playing under a fair contract… not one he signed when he was Marshawn Lynch's backup and when he was a restricted free agent.

What am I missing?

Wow.

And they call Ralph stingy.

I'm glad you're not the owner of the Bills.

It's not even your money and you don't want to pay it.

What a dispirited and disillusioned football team you would have.

No one would want to play for your team… it would be even worse than it is now.

Even Ralph is at least talking to Stevie AND Fitz right now…

problem is you can't pay them all. Theres a lot of risk involved with big money, long term contracts. Get it wrong and youre doomed to long term suckiness like Redskins and 9ers.

In his post, Dan didn't say anything about Fred (in your words) "being the highest paid player."

Dan said that Fred should get a pay raise.

That's considerably different from what you are talking about.

Thank you! You are precisely correct in my intention.

No, I'm not of the opinion that Fred should be the highest paid Bill. Nor do I think he should be the highest paid RB in the league. However, he is clearly a starting RB and performing at such a level and, as such, should be paid appropriately. A significant raise for the next 2-4 years would do wonders to the psyche of this young team, IMO.

And I don't say that because I like him (although I do) nor because I'm emotional. I say it because he has performed at this level ..consistently.. for several seasons. Fred's production is not a flash in the pan couple of good games. He's consistently been our top rusher while contributing as a WR, blocker, and kick returner. Furthermore, listen to the statements from his fellow Bills. It's clear that he is much more highly regarded than Peters (for ex). By not paying him, you're sending a clear message to all the other late round and UDFA on the team (to which there are many); that all the talk about playing hard and being rewarded is just that... talk. IMO, it's every bit as much of a business decision as anything.

"He signed his current deal prior to the 2009 season, when he was the backup to Marshawn Lynch."

He was a restricted free agent at the time.

So play the season, and redo his contract at a reasonable $.

I don't think 2 games into the season is the time to start negotiating.

:unsure:

So this is all about you… he should consider your feelings above his career compensation?

How about you consider the fact that your post is annoying a bunch of other people…

It's mind-boggling to me that less than one year ago, this team gave Chris Kelsay a 5-year, $28.2 million contract but there are posters here who don't think Fred Jackson deserves a fair raise… and think he should shut up.

He's underpaid. If he shuts up he stays underpaid.

His only hope of not being underpaid is being honest with his dissatisfaction.

In pro sports, teams show how much they respect a player in one way and one way only… WITH MONEY.

You're not listening. I think Jackson deserves more money. I also think there's a time to be vocal about your displeasure, ie the off season/start of camp. It isn't anyone's fault there wasn't an off season for litle Freddie to get more money. I was responding especially to the "good soldier" comment. I think his timing is incredibly selfish and foolish. The team starts off 2-0 and has arguably it's most important game in 10 years coming up this weekend at home and we have to hear about little Freddy being annoyed by his contract?

You keep bringing up Kelsay which clearly tells me we aren't talking apples to apples. I'm not arguing the validity of Fred's deserving of of more money. But I don't remember Kelsay telling us how annoyed he was by his contract. If anything you're making my point. If Kelsay can get more money why wouldn't Fred? Hey Fred, shut up and play.

Edited by Triple Threat

You're not listening. I think Jackson deserves more money. I also think there's a time to be vocal about your displeasure, ie the off season/start of camp. It isn't anyone's fault there wasn't an off season for litle Freddie to get more money. I was responding especially to the "good soldier" comment. I think his timing is incredibly selfish and foolish. The team starts off 2-0 and has arguably it's most important game in 10 years coming up this weekend at home and we have to hear about little Freddy being annoyed by his contract?

You keep bringing up Kelsay which clearly tells me we aren't talking apples to apples. I'm not arguing the validity of Fred's deserving of of more money. But I don't remember Kelsay telling us how annoyed he was by his contract. If anything you're making my point. If Kelsay can get more money why wouldn't Fred? Hey Fred, shut up and play.

+ 1

Timing is odd. Who starts complaining about a contract after a lockout and two weeks into the season.

Play the season already.

Another thing, if Buddy Nix is anything like A.J. Smith in San Diego, you don't want to start causing problems now, as you have

basically two years to go. IMO.

Having now read that, I can say, for certain, that this is not nothing! :flirt:

Thank you, John for providing context. something the original link did not. My original comments to not apply to THIS coverage.

And I'm hoping that you understand that I linked what I found published at the time.

What a dumb article. Seriously, it was well documented that he was annoyed before the season. Now that we are 2-0, JW asks him if he is still annoyed. Why would it go away in 2 weeks? STOP THE PRESSES!

Pay Fred. Just pay the Man. we already are indebted to him for his diligent work and now, blatantly obvious performance. This year he is truly kicking ass.

ps thanks o -line for the past two games good work but thanks mostly fred for the extra efforts that change the games. and also helping your little buddy along unselfishly.

That's precisely what I said.

And since BeerSphere is normally pretty good with ye olde links, and since that was presumably--until John posted the full version--the only coverage of the so-called damning quote, my comments reflected the value of the coverage at hand.

Are you calling me a liar about everything else? I won't stand for that.

I guess I was wrong. You don't understand. I found one link with the short version. I found another with the same short version. I found a third, sadly the same small version. Any you blame me? I'm normally pretty good with links? Meaning this time I posted a bull **** link?

It could be that what I found was a 'tease', I don't know, I'm not in the business. But come down off your high horse.

Thanks jw for posting the full article.

Never mind the strike through. I see that question has been answered.

Peters wants more money? Get rid of him. Whitner wants more money? He's a fraud. Kelsay gets an extension? He's overpaid. Fred Jackson wants an extension....HOLD EVERYTHING! We have to pay him!

If you don't see any differences in those players then there is no hope for you. The world doesn't work on absolutes.

Edited by Beerball

First of all TT, thanks for not taking my obvious annoyance and adding to it… I got a bit heated and appreciate you making a civil and calm response.

Fred is my favorite Bills player and the ONE issue I still have with this team is that the triumvirate of Ralph, Littman, and Overdorf in my opinion, cannot be trusted to do the right thing.

I'm glad that Nix and Gailey are running the personnel side but very concerned that the same people are making the financial decisions.

As for your timing argument, I would rewind to Beerball's comments. Most football players have short careers.

You say wait till the end of the season. That's 14 games.

What percentage of Jackson's career do you think 14 games amounts to? This is not hockey, basketball, or baseball. We're talking about gladiators with very limited careers. I would say that 14 games is virtually one whole season and I don't think he should wait one whole season to make a request in his pay.

You mention Kelsay as getting an extension and imply that maybe Jackson would get one if he just played the "good soldier."

You must have missed Fred's comments in JW's article which expresses frustration that his agent approached the Bills (I think you're very misguided if you think the "good boy" act will yield Freddy any results):

"We've approached them, and it's not gone the way we would've liked it to," Jackson told The Associated Press prior to practice Wednesday. "I'm annoyed by it. I've been playing at a high level for three straight years now. I would like something to be done about it this year. I want something done that's fair for myself and the team."