Jackson annoyed by contract

Beerball

That is complete and utter garbage.

You're right. I'm not speaking from experience. I've never been to a press event, press conference, conducted player interviews or been in professional locker rooms while interviews were taking place.

I made the whole thing up. I have virtually no insight when it comes to player/media interaction or how a news organization spins its coverage of quotable quotes.

C'mon, bruh. You know me better than to speak in absolutes about something I know absolutely nothing about.

Having now read that, I can say, for certain, that this is not nothing! :flirt:

Thank you, John for providing context. something the original link did not. My original comments to not apply to THIS coverage.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, but you dont pay players as a way of saying 'thank you' for what you have done.

2 games into the season, great. The Bills will wait to see what his numbers are like at the end of the season.

If Fred is in the top 5-10 rushers, he gets a new deal. Most likely for 3 years.

But as another poster said at 30 with 2 years on a contract, he does not have a lot of leverage.

And i get he hasn't been in the NFL all those years. Not to many guys run faster the older they get, regardless if they have 300lb+ guys landing on their legs and back every week for 16+ weeks.

I want Fred to run like he has the last two games for the next 100, but the likely hood of that is slim to none. and slim left town last week.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

You're right. I'm not speaking from experience. I've never been to a press event, press conference, conducted player interviews or been in professional locker rooms while interviews were taking place.

I made the whole thing up. I have virtually no insight when it comes to player/media interaction or how a news organization spins its coverage of quotable quotes.

C'mon, bruh. You know me better than to speak in absolutes about something I know absolutely nothing about.

Bullschitt. You are the one that was speaking in absolutes. You said, "This is NOTHING. When the media rips a single word from a quote, gives you an 80 word blurb and never provides the entirety of the quote, it means they're making "something" out of "nothing" in order to meet their deadlines."

Which is complete and utter garbage. And, as evidenced by the entire article, it doesn't at all mean "they're making something out of nothing". It could mean the complete opposite, which is what I said, and which is what happened in this instance.

folks, just for future reference. the initial story is goes out to all of our members, and particularly for our broadcast subrscribers. they're able to use these short "bursts" for their purposes. we try to get them out as soon as possible.

that means there's usually a lag between the NewsNow and the fuller version moves.

i do question the accusation that i would take something like "annoyed" out of context.

jw

Bullschitt. You are the one that was speaking in absolutes. You said, "This is NOTHING. When the media rips a single word from a quote, gives you an 80 word blurb and never provides the entirety of the quote, it means they're making "something" out of "nothing" in order to meet their deadlines."

Which is complete and utter garbage. And, as evidenced by the entire article, it doesn't at all mean "they're making something out of nothing". It could mean the complete opposite, which is what I said, and which is what happened in this instance.

That's precisely what I said.

And since BeerSphere is normally pretty good with ye olde links, and since that was presumably--until John posted the full version--the only coverage of the so-called damning quote, my comments reflected the value of the coverage at hand.

Are you calling me a liar about everything else? I won't stand for that.

I am sorry, but you dont pay players as a way of saying 'thank you' for what you have done.

2 games into the season, great. The Bills will wait to see what his numbers are like at the end of the season.

If Fred is in the top 5-10 rushers, he gets a new deal. Most likely for 3 years.

But as another poster said at 30 with 2 years on a contract, he does not have a lot of leverage.

And i get he hasn't been in the NFL all those years. Not to many guys run faster the older they get, regardless if they have 300+ guys landing on their legs and back every week for 16+ weeks.

I want Fred to run like he has the last two games for the next 100, but the likely hood of that is slim to none. and slim left town last week.

Absolutely, could not have said it better!

folks, just for future reference. the initial story is goes out to all of our members, and particularly for our broadcast subrscribers. they're able to use these short "bursts" for their purposes. we try to get them out as soon as possible.

that means there's usually a lag between the NewsNow and the fuller version moves.

i do question the accusation that i would take something like "annoyed" out of context.

jw

In all sincerity, I did not see your byline. In fact I didn't look for a byline at all.

I saw the "burst" coverage from a Canadian publication I'm unfamiliar with (could be the equivalent of the Northerly NYT, for all I know) and figured the whole thing was nothing more than a hits-grab.

Although, if I HAD seen your byline, honestly, my first reaction would have been, "wow, looks like John's editors are up to their necks these days. So desperate for eyeballs they'll put a guy's credibility on the line."

I don't envy you, man. I know how the biz be.

Turns out, though, the real article is some compelling ****. So per usual, kudos!!

That's precisely what I said.

And since BeerSphere is normally pretty good with ye olde links, and since that was presumably--until John posted the full version--the only coverage of the so-called damning quote, my comments reflected the value of the coverage at hand.

Are you calling me a liar about everything else? I won't stand for that.

Your comments didn't at all reflect the value of the coverage at hand. You said it's automatically untrue and it's not.

All I am saying is your quote about all 80 word blurbs and one word quotes is nonsense and flat out not true. You said it automatically means the writer is making something about nothing. Sometimes it is out of context and sometimes it is not. Sometimes it's precisely correct. There was no reason to believe this quote in this instance was taken out of context. Just the opposite in fact.

I'm not calling you a liar in this or any other thing. I calling this one quote from you patently false, because you made it an absolute. ;)

I understand him being upset.

But he should understand the Bills stance.

They are wanting to see him keep producing the rest of the year. i am sure he will get a nice offer from them.

Fred is also over 30 years old, that is old for RB. Not saying he wont get paid, but he will have to be reasonable.

Dont think he is getting a huge contract from anyone. Maybe 4-5mil a year for 3 years. History shows that RBs production drops off fast somewhere over 30. it is crazy, but go look at Thurmans drop off at age 31.

You're looking at this rationally. What you want an 'old for a RB' player to do is wait. Wait through 14 more games. Wait through 20+ touches per game. Wait through many other plays where he's called on to block. Wait until he gets injured. Wait while Williams is extended. Wait while Fitzpatrick is potentially extended. Wait while Johnson is potentially extended. Wait while he's risking his livlihood every time he steps on the field. Wait because his last agent was a putz and got taken by the Bills.

You want the most important player in terms of effort & ability on this team to wait and you want him to be happy (or at least silent)about it.

I know it goes against the grain and I never thought I'd say this about ANY player. Fred Jackson deserves to be extended because of what he has already accomplished as much or more than what he has yet to accomplish. To my mind he is that important to the team (past, present, future).

Some decisions deserve to be made for more than business reasons.

Why does Jackson have to keep quiet if his teammates support him? Going public is actually smart because grabbing public pressure/attention for his cause is one of the few ways he can improve his leverage in the negotiation.

I can understand telling Fred to shut up if his teammates don't want to hear about it, but his teammates apparently love him and have his back.

The Bills are very unlikely to pay him, btw. They have too much money tied up in the RB position already. But if there's a slim chance at all for a pay raise to get done, it will have to be with public pressure, imo.

If there were ever a player that has earned the right to have his existing contract torn up; Fred is that man. I'd call him in; literally tear the contract up, shake his hand, and say.. Fred lets get to work paying you what you've earned.

In every aspect, he has outplayed and surpassed the expectations of his current contract. Furthermore, he has done it consistently game in and game out. The last 2 games are by no means the exception. In every way, he's picking up right where he left off last December and even the year before.

It should also be done for overall team chemistry and success. Listen to what his team mates are saying about Fred. Don't pay him and the rest of the locker room will feel just a jilted. They're all buying into the "work hard and you'll be rewarded" mantra of Gailey and Nix. No one represents that attitude more than Fred. If he doesn't get taken care of; there's no guarantee anyone will.

IMO, Fred's contract is less about money and more about the psyche of the team.

The Bills are very unlikely to pay him, btw. They have too much money tied up in the RB position already. But if there's a slim chance at all for a pay raise to get done, it will have to be with public pressure, imo.

I don't think that is a viable argument in the Bills favor at all, to be honest. They are middle of the road at RB, with CJ at a #9 overall which is a good amount but not huge, Fred not much, and McIntyre and White for pennies.

Furthermore, they are paying pennies at TE.

They are paying less than pennies at WR with a #7 pick, and three UDFA (until Stevie signs)

They are paying pennies at LT, RT, RG, less than average at LG and only C is above average, and not by much.

At QB it is middle of the road, but only because the #2 makes decent money and you have to include the #3 who makes a lot for a #3. But it's still less than half of what most teams likely pay at that position.

Maybe he should have played out his first contract to become a free agent. He doesn't have any leverage, 30 with 2 years left.

He has as much leverage as a few things combined give him:

1) Public sentiment

2) Teammates sentiment

3) Media sentiment

4) The Bills sense of fairness

5) His willingness to keep his annoyance in the public eye

I'm getting a little annoyed at hearing how annoyed Fred is all the time. Seriously!

Shut your mouth and play.

Worst post in the topic, IMO. Here's one line from JW's article:

"He signed his current deal prior to the 2009 season, when he was the backup to Marshawn Lynch."

Reminds me of when people felt that Jason Peters should be happy with his contract… the one he signed when he became the starting RIGHT tackle… for 5 years and $15 million dollars… $3 million per year for a Pro Bowl left tackle. And some idiots here thought that he should honor that contract… meanwhile they're giving guys like Kelsay and Schobel lucrative extensions and paying both Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker more money than they were paying Peters.

But these guys should just shut up and play…

You do realize that base salaries are not guaranteed? You do realize that we're talking about one of the best backs in the league? You do realize we're talking about a man whose teammates voted him a team captain?

In professional sports, a team shows respect for a player in one way and one way only… MONEY.

He's actually a year and a half younger than Kelsay, whom they just extended thru 2014.

At least pay the man Kelsay-type $$, Ralph, ya cheap foook. B-)

Thank you, Senator. Much needed context.

You're looking at this rationally. What you want an 'old for a RB' player to do is wait. Wait through 14 more games. Wait through 20+ touches per game. Wait through many other plays where he's called on to block. Wait until he gets injured. Wait while Williams is extended. Wait while Fitzpatrick is potentially extended. Wait while Johnson is potentially extended. Wait while he's risking his livlihood every time he steps on the field. Wait because his last agent was a putz and got taken by the Bills.

You want the most important player in terms of effort & ability on this team to wait and you want him to be happy (or at least silent)about it.

I know it goes against the grain and I never thought I'd say this about ANY player. Fred Jackson deserves to be extended because of what he has already accomplished as much or more than what he has yet to accomplish. To my mind he is that important to the team (past, present, future).

Some decisions deserve to be made for more than business reasons.

Funny, you make lots of good points as usual Beerball but I would characterize Triple Threat's post as looking at this irrationally.

Why does Jackson have to keep quiet if his teammates support him? Going public is actually smart because grabbing public pressure/attention for his cause is one of the few ways he can improve his leverage in the negotiation.

I can understand telling Fred to shut up if his teammates don't want to hear about it, but his teammates apparently love him and have his back.

Exactly.

Fred can keep quiet and continue to be very underpaid or he can be HONEST WITH HIS DISSATISFACTION and possibly get the Bills to do the right thing.

I dunno, I think this is an emotional response, not a practical one. This is professional football. You think if all of a sudden Fred is the highest paid player everyone will just be happy and play hard? Hell no. People will just say 'I want that money'. Why does Fred deserve to be paid more than Fitz? Or than Steve Jackson? I mean, what business in their right mind would instill that type of precedent. That we will rip up your contract 3 years before it expires if you all of a sudden start performing way better than the contract dictates. Does Fred deal with it well? Yes. He's performing and he's not "holding out" or anything. But I mean, I just don't know how you can blame the Bills' FO.

In his post, Dan didn't say anything about Fred (in your words) "being the highest paid player."

Dan said that Fred should get a pay raise.

That's considerably different from what you are talking about.