Still not optimistic...

Virgil

Being at the game yesterday, and finally experiencing a win like that, would usually put me in a great mood and optimistic for the season. But, I still can't shake the season we had a few years back when we started off great, and finished 7-9.

Really, how is this season any different. We crushed a team that Lions equally crushed the following week. We barely beat a team that is completely one dimensional. They ran three plays. Draw, Screen, Deep Throw. And we couldn't stop any of them. They only punted 3 times! We rarely ran a safety over the top because we were so stacked against the run, and still couldn't stop them. Our DB's were in man with no support against average WR's and got owned. End of the day, we gave up 35 points at home, against the Raiders. I'm not knocking the Raiders, but 35 points? Even they were surprised they scored that much.

Yes, our O-Line has been a pleasant surprise and we have been able to move the ball passing. But we also are very transparent with our plays. We pass with empty backfields and overstack runs. Good defenses are going to be able to beat that.

I fully expect us to get pounded against the Patriots, beat the Bengals, and watch everyone talk about the surprise Bills at 3-1. But even then, who will we have beaten.

We have an easy schedule right now, our O is doing good, but not good enough to offset our crap D. We are still a .500 team at best. I'm still predicting an 8-8 record for this season.

Also, anyone else nervous about all the Fitx extension talk? Remember last time we had this start and we extended Jauron....

Flame away.

Edited by Derek in Va

I understand your pessimism.

But your looking at the glass half empty.

Campbell is not a bad QB. He is streaky, and when hot he is very good.

McFadden is a great RB, behind a good Oline.

Having said that, the Bills D looked average at best yesterday.

Gotta to hope a few of the young guys progress, Williams being key.

But the most important thing to take away from yesterdays game is the W.

This team fought back and won. It is the NFL every guy on that field belongs there.

The Raiders are no slouch.

Fitz (who i am still a pessimist about, but it is a lot less today) showed he could be a gamer when it counted.

Last year he threw a pick during similar situations.

This offense is for real. The just had there way with a very good Oakland D.

i get where you are coming from. Dont know how many times over the last several years i have uttered "just when you start to believe this year is different, they break your heart'.

But for now i am 'enjoying the ride'.

Also, anyone else nervous about all the Fitx extension talk? Remember last time we had this start and we extended Jauron....

I'm not simply because they'll need a quarterback regardless after this season (when his contract is up). Even if they tanked the rest of this season, Fitzpatrick would be a good tutor to a young draft pick. Really, an extension is a no-brainer.

The Jauron extension was a debacle, but they aren't comparable.

I will make this as nice as possible ! First off we have a Head Coach , secondly we have great coaches surrounding are head coach thidly we have a quaterback fourthly we have a Better Defense and will get better in time and cannot wait till Searcy n williams and Sheppard get more time on the field and did you know we are 12 pounds heavier per man on the defensive line ! :worthy:

Being at the game yesterday, and finally experiencing a win like that, would usually put me in a great mood and optimistic for the season. But, I still can't shake the season we had a few years back when we started off great, and finished 7-9.

Really, how is this season any different. We crushed a team that Lions equally crushed the following week. We barely beat a team that is completely one dimensional. They ran three plays. Draw, Screen, Deep Throw. And we couldn't stop any of them. They only punted 3 times! We rarely ran a safety over the top because we were so stacked against the run, and still couldn't stop them. Our DB's were in man with no support against average WR's and got owned. End of the day, we gave up 35 points at home, against the Raiders. I'm not knocking the Raiders, but 35 points? Even they were surprised they scored that much.

Yes, our O-Line has been a pleasant surprise and we have been able to move the ball passing. But we also are very transparent with our plays. We pass with empty backfields and overstack runs. Good defenses are going to be able to beat that.

I fully expect us to get pounded against the Patriots, beat the Bengals, and watch everyone talk about the surprise Bills at 3-1. But even then, who will we have beaten.

We have an easy schedule right now, our O is doing good, but not good enough to offset our crap D. We are still a .500 team at best. I'm still predicting an 8-8 record for this season.

Flame away.

Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...Fear can hold you prisoner, Hope can set you free...

Hey,

I am super pumped and enjoying these first 2 wins. You should too.

I also think an 8 win season.would be a great step forward.

Looking at the.schedule I se us with 7-9 wins. Give me more and it is all gravy. I'd be shocked if they do not win 7 though.

Go Bills!

Give him a break.

As a Bills fan, you're always living in fear. They've broken our hearts before like this.

I agree. I can't fault anyone for being skeptical at this point. But, there needs to be some rationality. For example, if we lose to the Pats* this week; that doesn't mean we suck. It just means we lost one week to one team. And if we finish 8-8; I'd say that a nice improvement and definitely signs that the team is on the right track.

I guess what bothers me are the posters that only see the negativity. We're not going to go undefeated. We're not going to play perfect games. Players will get burned; they'll make mistakes. Problem is... too many people expect pro bowl caliber players at every position and near flawless execution. Anything less is somehow a sign that the team and/or a player sucks. This team is progressing; I would hope everyone can see that. Is the rebuild complete? No. Are we Play Off bound? Probably not. But, that doesn't mean we need to bail on the one QB in a decade that's looked good. Nor does it mean we will never be able to beat the Pats*.

I'm optimistic we'll win this Sunday. Realistically, I doubt we will. I've thought all along, that I'll wait until this team actually has 8 wins before I consider this a winning season. But, that doesn't mean I'm not optimistic that we can do it. It just means that given past experience.. I'll believe it when I see it. This team has shown a propensity to hang in there and score. If they can score 30+ points... they've got a shot to beat anyone. And that should be reason enough for optimism.

I agree with the OP completely. This team has done nothing other than beat two teams it should have. If and when we beat one of Pats/Eagles/Jets then we might finally be on to something. Until then, color me cynical. History tells me that we're in for a whipping this weekend.

My negativity doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed our 2-0 start or didn't have a blast watching yesterday's game. I'm just realistic about our talent level and I'm not ready to go all in yet until this team gives me reason to believe we have the pieces to compete for a playoff spot.

People are entitled to fear or hope as they wish.

I will only say this. If there is reason to be fearful now, there will be reasons after week 8 too...

Hope is a choice, as is fear. We all know that life can bring crushing defeat at any moment. To survive, and to prevail in the face of life's terrifying uncertainty, requires facing the fear that knowledge brings and choosing to master it rather than be mastered by it.

Make your choice, Bills fans.

Go Bills! :beer:

I too don't want to get too pumped too early after the 2008 fiasco. But I'm super jacked about those 2 wins.

One difference I see is that now we have a QB and offense that is actually putting up points and TDs. In the 2008 season we got a lot of our points off of special teams and defense. In those first 5 games that Trent played in 2008, he threw 5 TDs. Once the Defensive and special teams TDs ended and Capt. Checkdown took over, we were toast. This year we have a real offense and real QB with leadership and balls. That's the difference.

You say we beat 2 teams we should have? Really? The Chiefs were 10-6 and a division winner last year and Raiders were 8-8.

If we go 8-8 this year I'll be happy. I want 10-6 and playoffs, but 8-8 would mean we're back.

I agree with the OP completely. This team has done nothing other than beat two teams it should have. If and when we beat one of Pats/Eagles/Jets then we might finally be on to something. Until then, color me cynical. History tells me that we're in for a whipping this weekend.

My negativity doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed our 2-0 start or didn't have a blast watching yesterday's game. I'm just realistic about our talent level and I'm not ready to go all in yet until this team gives me reason to believe we have the pieces to compete for a playoff spot.

There's that word again, it's my favorite. <_<

Let me ask you this: if we should have beat these teams, then what is the realistic expectations of our talent level? Or, if we have a bad talent level, then, how can anyone be a team we should beat?

And finally: nobody thought the Chiefs and Raiders were as bad as they are saying they are now. This is simply cognitive dissonance. People are criticizing both teams in order to make their invalid criticism of the Bills seem less invalid.

Before the KC game everyone said they were going to whip our asses. We ended up whipping theirs. That was not a team we were supposed to beat going into KC. San Diego is a playoff team, Oakland beat them twice last year. Same with Denver and KC. Oakland is no slouch of a team.

What you can take from it is that we have improved. Are we playoff bound? Who knows, I hope so.

Enjoy the ride, it is a game for enjoyment.

I don't understand people who cite 2008 as a reason to not be intrigued right now. Completely different team back then. Different coach, different QB, different pretty much everything. How many starters out of 22 are remaining from that team? By my count, it's just Kelsay and maybe McKelvin and KW...can't remember if those last 2 were starters yet.

I agree. I can't fault anyone for being skeptical at this point. But, there needs to be some rationality. For example, if we lose to the Pats* this week; that doesn't mean we suck. It just means we lost one week to one team. And if we finish 8-8; I'd say that a nice improvement and definitely signs that the team is on the right track.

I guess what bothers me are the posters that only see the negativity. We're not going to go undefeated. We're not going to play perfect games. Players will get burned; they'll make mistakes. Problem is... too many people expect pro bowl caliber players at every position and near flawless execution. Anything less is somehow a sign that the team and/or a player sucks. This team is progressing; I would hope everyone can see that. Is the rebuild complete? No. Are we Play Off bound? Probably not. But, that doesn't mean we need to bail on the one QB in a decade that's looked good. Nor does it mean we will never be able to beat the Pats*.

I'm optimistic we'll win this Sunday. Realistically, I doubt we will. I've thought all along, that I'll wait until this team actually has 8 wins before I consider this a winning season. But, that doesn't mean I'm not optimistic that we can do it. It just means that given past experience.. I'll believe it when I see it. This team has shown a propensity to hang in there and score. If they can score 30+ points... they've got a shot to beat anyone. And that should be reason enough for optimism.

I think this is an excellent post and pretty much sums up how I feel right now. I am going to enjoy the games where the team looks like they are progressing nicely, and I am going to be frustrated at those "back to earth" moments that I know are going to come at some point (probably next week). Either way its looking like another exciting season and I'm sure there are going to be twists and turns, and ups and downs. But I like our coach, I love our QB, and these guys make it really easy to root for them...