McKelvin

fishgrappler

Him and Florence are a HUGE liability in that secondary. I'd rather address that sooner as opposed to later. Byrd is the only one back there that seems somewhat consistent.

You mean by letting the WR get behind him for that 50 yard bomb. Our secondary is terrible. Mckelvin's instincts are probably the worst I have seen in a long time. Does not read the WR or have the agility to stay with him. I hope Williams develops because with him out there we are in serious trouble.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like this is something new. McKelvin has had plenty of chances, and failed in the majority of those chances. He is quick, but is clueless on how to play the ball. This results in either a penalty, or a catch...

Bottom line, McKelvin just isn't a starting quality CB. As a matter of fact he is pretty bad. Opposing offenses target him every time he is on the field, and to much success. It really hurt us to lose McGee, because we have no options other than an unproven rookie behind him. Reggie Corner is basically McKelvin lite.

Florence and the safeties are fine, its that other starting CB spot that's the issue. Also, we had no pass rush this past week either.

While the D looked pretty bad against the Raiders, I love how the Bills have looked in general. The problem is, we have done nothing to show we would be able to stop the Pats from shredding us...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

George Wilson should have knocked that deep TD pass away rather than trying to catch it. Their rookie WR made a few great catches- McKelvin was in position to make plays for the most part.

+1. George Wilson is supposed to be deep help. I know you're all going to love this, but I'm thinking Whitner breaks that pass up.

You mean by letting the WR get behind him for that 50 yard bomb. Our secondary is terrible. Mckelvin's instincts are probably the worst I have seen in a long time. Does not read the WR or have the agility to stay with him. I hope Williams develops because with him out there we are in serious trouble.

i'm thinking the coverage is designed that way, mckelvin underneath and wilson was supposed to be the deep cover. wilson let moore run right by him.

+1. George Wilson is supposed to be deep help. I know you're all going to love this, but I'm thinking Whitner breaks that pass up.

While McKelvin in general has looked pretty bad, I can't blame him or Wilson on the touchdown. I honestly think it was just an amazing play by the WR Moore. That kid knows how to get to the ball and has great hands. Both McKelvin and Wilson were all over him on that play, he just went up higher, and somehow held on. Not many WR's in the nfl can make that play...

Oh, Whitner wouldn't have been within 20 yards of that play, so I'm not sure what you are thinking there... Did you see the end of the Cowboy's game?!?!

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I love this quote from McKelvin: "I played great defense. I just didn't make the play."

That sums up his day and maybe his career. Often in position, he doesn't make the play.

That's NOT great defense.

I'm hoping McGee returns and stays healthy and that A. Williams proves he deserves his high draft position and earns a starting spot.

You know, if you cut every guy that gets burned, you soon won't have any CBs left.

This is a league where the rules are tilted far in favor of offenses. If you brush against a WR these days, they get a flag and the yardage for sure. I'm sorry, but in the position he was in, McKelvin probably did as much as he could do. And it was George Wilson who didn't even put a hand up in the air as he was chasing.

This day and age, you've just got to get back out there with your O and do the same against their defense. This what comes of the NFL wanting teams to score more and changing the rules to enable that.

Edited by UConn James

George Wilson played much worse than McKelvin today. He was out of position and letting getting into coverage on many of the deep passes. He deserves more blame that Leodis.

While McKelvin wasn't great, he was in good coverage position on a lot of those plays. The raider WR had himself a hell of a game with some spectacular catches. Sometimes the QB makes a great throw and the WR makes a great catch and there's nothing a DB can do about it. And as UConn said, any more agressive and we're in danger of being for flagged for PI with the current rule system in place.

Edited by Ramius

You know, if you cut every guy that gets burned, you soon won't have any CBs left.

This is a league where the rules are tilted far in favor of offenses. If you brush against a WR these days, they get a flag and the yardage for sure. I'm sorry, but in the position he was in, McKelvin probably did as much as he could do. And it was George Wilson who didn't even put a hand up in the air as he was chasing.

This day and age, you've just go to do the same against their defense. This what comes of the NFL wanting teams to score more.

You're right. On every passing TD at least one defender gets "burned". A zero tolerance policy will soon leave you with no starters. What's frustrating about mckelvin is how he hasn't learned to use his hands at all. He needs to watch film of Revis who's a master of hand use. Mckelvin doesnt have Revis upper body strength and the league let's Revis gets away with a lot, but in addition to mckelvins film study on opposing WRs he needs to watch film of Revis.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

You're right. On every passing TD at least one defender gets "burned". A zero tolerance policy will soon leave you with no starters. What's frustrating about mckelvin is how he hasn't learned to use his hands at all. He needs to watch film of Revis who's a master of hand use. Mckelvin doesnt have Revis upper body strength and the league let's Revis gets away with a lot, but in addition to mckelvins film study on opposing WRs he needs to watch film of Revis.

Exactly...saying McKelvin is getting "burned" isn't accurate in my opinion. The guy is fast, and he is almost always right on the reciever...by far his biggest problem is he does not know how to prevent the receiver from catching the ball. He just stares at the receiver as he catches it right over the top of him. If he tries to make any sort of play on the ball he ends up committing pass interference. He is fast and agile enough to cover guys like glue...he just has no clue how to play the ball. The bigger the receiver, the harder this is for him. He has the athletics, he doesn't have the brains or instincts...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

He makes ok plays once in a while but hurts us tremendously...especially when it can hurt the most. I was not very impressed with WIlson wither but I think it was just a bad game for him. I can forsee Brady picking on these 2 all day though next week.

McKelvin is not a smart football player. Am I the only one that feels this way?

FYI...I posted this during the game and was unaware of the TBD rules. My apologies.

I don't really get it. I watched McKelvin get beat on a play where he went up to the line to play the WR tight but then he didn't chuck the guy at all or even try. Getting off the line clean allowed the WR to get a step past him and to

get deep a step or two ahead of the safety who couldn't get over there in time. If Leodis chucks the guy, he buys himself, the safety and the pass rush and extra second to get the job done. And it wasn't like

the WR did some fancy move at the line to shake him or stiffed arm him. He didn't even try to chuck the guy. It just didn't make any sense at all. Was that coverage? What kind of man to man coverage has the CB up tight

on the WR but doesn't chuck the SOB??!

On the plays that McKelvin got beat on, if you tried that play ten times only one of the ten would the QB make the perfect pass and the WR make a spectacular leaping catch. I'd be thrilled if any DB had the coverage McKelvin had for the vast majority of the game including the plays he got beat on.

To be fair, Moore made a couple of great plays. However, and more to the point, McKelvin doesn't make plays. There's a reason that team after team goes after him. He's not a good player at this point. Expect Brady to implement Plan McKelvin very early next week. I can't wait until McGee gets back.

He makes ok plays once in a while but hurts us tremendously...especially when it can hurt the most. I was not very impressed with WIlson wither but I think it was just a bad game for him. I can forsee Brady picking on these 2 all day though next week.

McKelvin is not a smart football player. Am I the only one that feels this way?

FYI...I posted this during the game and was unaware of the TBD rules. My apologies.

I am not sure if he isn't a "smart" player, or if he is just not a great football player, but he has by no means lived up to the level of the position he was drafted. The only thing he has really been good at since he was drafted was returning kicks, and one disastrous game costing, boneheaded fumble killed that. He is becoming a target for offenses more and more, yesterday almost every time the Raiders had a big pass play, it was him not being where he was supposed to be or he just plain got burned. The Bills have to start thinking about benching him, maybe when McGee comes back healthy if he ever does.

Edited by billsfreak

McKelvin just shut down Dwayne Bowe a week ago and now he's a huge liability? He didn't have the greatest game, but he's shown he can lock down a Pro Bowl WR. The Raiders have excellent balance on offense so Campbell was able to work the play-action more than Cassell was a week ago. The guy McKelvin was covering also ran like a 4.3 40-yard dash. The deep ball thrown by Campbell was the best pass I've ever seen him make in his career and I was subjected to many of his games when he was in Washington. Does McKelvin make picks like Clements did? No. Is he the rocket scientist that Fitz might as well be? No. Can he get the job done? I think so.

He doesnt use his hands well. He needs to understand good coverage doesn't mean just being near the WR. Doesn't bump WRs when playing close to line, doesn't wrestle with them down the route when the refs will let you and doesn't even attempt to deflect passes.

He gave up the deep ball on the sideline because he was in press coverage and did not jam the receiver. I guess you are the only one in this thread that gets that. The floater he allowed was just another example of his mediocre ball skills. Biggest problem is his brain. He starts making mistakes and can't understand how to correct it. He has exceptional cover skills but he is a target because he is mistake prone and DC's know they can set him up for the scorch.

Denarious Moore should not have been a surprise; he was an extremely productive WR at Tennessee and was turning heads consistently during Raiders TC. This is not a guy playing "down" to his draft position; he's a potential stud and I'm not sure of the reasons why he didn't go higher.

I didn't think McCorner played horribly yesterday aside from the one long ball down the sideline. Both he and Wilson misplayed the TD but were in good position.

Where was this post after he helped hold Bowe to 2 catches for 17 yards last week? He's a cornerback, who is manned up quite a bit. You're gonna get beat but it's how you bounce back. I think McKelvin gets into his own head too much.

Are you referring to the powerful Kansas City offense?

The same Kansas City team that was beaten 48-3 yesterday?

George Wilson played much worse than McKelvin today. He was out of position and letting getting into coverage on many of the deep passes. He deserves more blame that Leodis.

While McKelvin wasn't great, he was in good coverage position on a lot of those plays. The raider WR had himself a hell of a game with some spectacular catches. Sometimes the QB makes a great throw and the WR makes a great catch and there's nothing a DB can do about it. And as UConn said, any more agressive and we're in danger of being for flagged for PI with the current rule system in place.

This is spot on. Everyone is busy eviscerating McKelvin, but by far the worst guy in our secondary so far is George Wilson. McKelvin played that touchdown well. He didn't make the play despite being in a position to do so and deserves some blame, but not what he is receiving. Wilson looks soft on the run and nearly useless against the pass. They were isolating him with a fullback converted to wide receiver. Wilson needs to step up his game and earn his defensive captaincy with more reason than for being a great guy.