Your lowest moment as a fan

Billzfan23

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Music City Miracle . . . I think we all kind of knew the ride was coming to an end, that play was an exclamation point, and one in which we are still feeling the effects of today.

And it was not just that play, it was the decision to start Johnson (granted, he played well enough that day, but it's what it meant to the team thereafter). I'll go to my grave not understanding why they played Rob Johnson that game over Flutie--I think one of the all-time bonehead coaching decisions in the history of the NFL.

The play buried the season, the move buried the franchise, and it's still digging out.

I agree. It seemed as if after Christie made the kick we were going to the next round.

Music City Miracle hands down.

If I see that blank f'ing stare of Wade Phillips one more time on replay I might just kick the god damn tv in.

No one can ever make me understand why they started Johnson over Flutie. Never.

Tools.

I was always proud of the Superbowl teams, even if the seasons ended in a loss.

The Music City Miracle really hurt, but luckily I was around other Bills fans to share in my misery.

Honestly, the one loss that hurt the most was that friggin Dallas/Buffalo Monday Night Football game. I still have nightmares over that one and just how we managed to blow it. Same for the Patriots/Bills home opener in 2009. I was really embarrassed to be a Bills fan the day after.

Those three are the ones that stand out in my mind for sure. All of them left me sick to my stomach.......

2005, Terrence McGee back to return a kickoff just before the half.

Runs the ball about 300 yards, weaving in and out of defenders, breaking tackles, bobbing, jiving, slipping, sliding, juking, twirling, stiff-arming his way ALL the way down to the 3 yard line, only t be tripped up after time expired. Take it to the half, his efforts for naught.

Given all of the optimism and promising start to the season (let's hope the bad lows are in our rear view) - what was your lowest moment of your history as a Bills fan? I'm 34 years old, grew up a Bills fan in southern Missouri of all places. I was 12 years old, volunteering at a food pantry during the summers, and I had a Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas shirt I used to wear to that job all the time. I always talked about Bills news and happening with my boss (the director of the place). He knew I was a fan, and oddly enough, he was a displaced western New Yorker and his younger brother worked as a scout for the Bills. My boss calls his brother, asks him if he can get the Bills to do something nice for me - and I end up getting a huge package in the mail with an autographed picture of Jim Kelly - and a bunch of Bills stuff in 1991.

Of course, when I was 13, 14, 15, and 16 years old - the Bills lost superbowls. Every single one of them stung like hell. But...I have to say - in 1997 I went to my first Bills game ever. I had moved to Boston right out of high school - and was at the Bills/Pats game in the fall of 1997. The game was a home game in Foxboro for the Pats, and first place in the division was on the line. Jim Kelly had retired, Thurman was still on the team - and there I was, decked out in Bills gear - and Todd Collins gets injured, the Bills get blown out (with Billy Joe Hobert who later admitted he didn't know the playbook) and it was an ugly year. The end of that game was the lowest point for me as a fan (yes, even lower than the Gregg Willams era)

For some reason, being there, seeing it live, getting heckled, etc...sucked worse than the home run throwback in January of 2000.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but out of curiosity - what was your lowest point?

Every day that goes by without a Bills playoff birth is my lowest point

Cleveland snowstorm game 6-3. need i say more.

Cleveland Monday Night game. jauron decides to run 3 straight run plays to set up a 51 yd fg, which lindell misses. browns get the ball back and dawson boots the 53 yd game winner

Pats Sunday Night flex game. Supposed to challenge them for the division instead it turns out to be 56-10 with Randy Moss scoring 4 td's in the first half.

The super bowls were pretty bad , but I was the same age as the OP, and I am pretty proud of that era.

Dallas Monday Nighter a couple years ago gets my vote. There has been a point for all of the regimes of the past decade where i gave up on them, or the QB. that night I knew jouron would never win.

awful.

Walking out of Tampa Stadium after Super Bowl XXV, having to hear "New York, New York" as it was blaring out of the stadium speakers and seeing the celebrations of the Giants fans.

That was a very emotional day, with the Gulf War, the first ever Bills Super Bowl, the Whitney Houston Star-Spangled Banner, and the game itself. The only time I actually shed a tear over the Bills.

2005, Terrence McGee back to return a kickoff just before the half.

Runs the ball about 300 yards, weaving in and out of defenders, breaking tackles, bobbing, jiving, slipping, sliding, juking, twirling, stiff-arming his way ALL the way down to the 3 yard line, only t be tripped up after time expired. Take it to the half, his efforts for naught.

Against the Saints in San Antonio in their first "home" game after Hurricane Katrina.

Each one of the crushing defeats sucks in its own unique way...hard to quantify which one was actually the worst, although the monday night opener vs the Pats seems to sting the most. Maybe because I just KNEW it was going to happen and it did. Each of the SB losses followed a quality season so there was cause for optimism. The Pats loss reinforced the futility of seasons past and seasons to come.

Working from the personal lowest moment angle, I was at a party for SB XXVIII where there were an overwhelming number or Cowboys fans. One of the "fans" (actually a bandwagoner who claimed to be a fan of 5-6 different NFL teams) was particularly loud and obnoxious in the 4th quarter. There was a deli plate nearby and I picked up a tomato and totally Nolan Ryan'ed one at his head, splattering his face and knocking his glasses off. A pretty ugly food fight ensued.

Hmm...upon further review, that mighta been one of my best moments...

There have been far too many ... I think that collectively the "Jauron Era" was the low spot for me. Totally wasted years that we are still trying to emerge from.

Totally agree.

The worst was the Patriots/Bills home opener in 2009. In my 29 years of being a fan, that game brought me the closest I've ever come to picking a new team to follow.

Grew up in Buffalo and enjoyed sharing my support for the Bills with friends and family. There were a few highs in those early decades and a lot more lows. But it didn't bother me very much because we enjoyed being at the games, rooting for our team, tailgating before and after, sharing the highs and lows with other fans, etc.

Eventually, job moves took me away from Buffalo and most of the fun experiences. But I still went to occasional games, watched the others with family, etc. Even then, it didn't hurt that much when Christie missed or Tennessee got away with a bad play. You still felt the team would be back fighting for the SB the next year.

After the new century started, it was becoming obvious that Wilson was no longer trying to field a winner - just a team that would continue to bring in the fans' money. Recent years keep piling onto that fact. So for me the lowest point was just before this season started.

After the Bills blew away the sleepwalking Chiefs, I felt a little better. Hope springs eternal, I guess. But I still know that the sad story of the Bills and Buffalo fans is probably heading for a sad ending. I'll keep hoping for a savior, and in the meantime try to get some enjoyment out of this season.

My lowest point as a Bills fan was hearing a large contingent of "Bills fans" cheer when Rob Johnson got hurt in a game (I don't even remember which one because i try not to think about it), while he was struggling to get to his feet after taking a huge shot and in obvious pain. It made me sick to my stomach :sick: and ashamed :bag: to be a fan of team who had fans that would do that.

As I said, I try not to think about it. I don't care how far up the butt of the little guy one's head was, the man was playing his ass off and doing his best for our team. It was hard for me to bring myself to watch the next game.

I remember a play (think they were playing Tampa) where RJ got hit way after he released. A player would get ejected and fined for doing that today. Marcus Spriggs was standing right there. He didn't go after the defender or even help RJ up as he lay there bleeding.

If Lori was around she would remember that game. I think we lost a slew of players, some for their entire career.

There have been far too many ... I think that collectively the "Jauron Era" was the low spot for me. Totally wasted years that we are still trying to emerge from.

I call that the Levy/Jauron Era. After all, good ol' Marv hired Jauron.

And I don't know if it was the "low point," but the angriest I have ever been was in 06 when they drafted Whitner. The next 3 picks were also about as dumb as it gets.

And this is not 20-20 hindsight. I was furious, and this draft is still hurting the Bills. Hopefully, we are climbing out of this hole now. :thumbsup: