National Anthem on Sunday

jumbalaya

When you watch Sunday you will hear the National Anthem sung before the game on TV. Pay attention because it is only time you will hear it sung on TV before an NFL game until the Super Bowl. NFL has gotta sell commercials and can't waste precious air time with something like the National Anthem.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably the wrong thread for me to post this, because obviously tomorrow carries special significance. But 9/11 aside, the whole national anthem thing before sporting events makes no sense to me.

Edited by eball

This is probably the wrong thread for me to post this, because obviously tomorrow carries special significance. But 9/11 aside, the whole national anthem thing before sporting events makes no sense to me.

I'll bite.

It started about a century ago, with less than a third of our population today, when we first started mass attending social events and 'games'. People worked REALLY hard then and were very appreciative of the Land of Opportunity. They/we showed this appreciation with a tribute to our Country. It hit a crescendo few today can comprehend during WWII and continued strongly through the following decades. People actually dressed in their very best to attend -again, in appreciation for their opportunities.

Today, we are a far colder, self-gratifying society.

I, for one, look forward to the ceremonies and hope the tradition continues throughout my days.

I'll bite.

It started about a century ago, with less than a third of our population today, when we first started mass attending social events and 'games'. People worked REALLY hard then and were very appreciative of the Land of Opportunity. They/we showed this appreciation with a tribute to our Country. It hit a crescendo few today can comprehend during WWII and continued strongly through the following decades. People actually dressed in their very best to attend -again, in appreciation for their opportunities.

I, for one, look forward to the ceremonies and hope the tradition continues throughout my days.

That's an interesting perspective; thanks. The little bit of research I've done suggests it has more of a wartime influence and not much to do with people working hard/being appreciative. In other words, a show of support to the troops that first started during WW I and, as you correctly state, reached a crescendo during WW II.

In today's more global society, it just seems out of place to me (and self-serving). I completely accept that I'm likely in the minority on this view.

:censored: Well the quote above mine was more informed by Chandler81. I appreciate your input and concider your answer very American. I also found your answer more controlled than mine. While I am not sure if all the hype on TV about 9/11 is for the remeberance of the day that rings strong in all Americans is really about the day and not about the money I am appreciative of them all making an attempt to keep our minds on the truth of what a ruthless people can do when ,they are so filled with hate. This nation learned for a moment to look to God but quickly decided to forget the protection that we had as it could have been much worse. I like many lost a family member in that days hottible attack on the twin towers. Had the attack been half an hour late the death toll could have reached about 15000 or more. If while we enjoy our freedom we can't enjoy a song that shows thanks to the soldiers that have fought before us to give us and keep us our freedom we should be a shame of ourselves as the people of the USA. NEVER FORGET

I'll bite.

Count me as one who misses the Anthem being shown before games. It's just a great reminder that for all we enjoy, there are those who've sacrificed their time, their freedom, their lives to preserve this nation. Is a 45-second song that connects us as a common people --- among all our divisions and petty disputes --- really that hard to live through?

As an addition to this topic, I'd just like to say that I loved Jordin Sparks' rendition on Thursday night. Wasn't over the top, wasn't a gob of Elmer-Fudd-on-a-blender vocalizations trumping Francis Scott Key's words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0muP8G7tbM&feature=player_embedded

I'll bite.

+1

I agree with the Cowboys fan that posted up there^^^^^

When I go to Bills games and especially Sabres games, the national anthem makes me proud to be an American, gives me the chills like you wouldn't believe, puts a tear in my eye and last but not least GETS ME READY FOR THE GAME! There's no way to describe it.

I'll bite.

Great post. You nailed it.

I agree with you in that I hope the tradition continues throughout my days and beyond. I hope the younger generations embrace it.

I also hope that strong pride in our country comes back some day. One of the things I marvel at when I visit Europe is the peoples pride in their culture. Even after centuries of war and change.

I hope we can get to that point as a nation.

I'll bite.

Actually, that's not what I've read. The playing of the national anthem before baseball games began around the turn of the century. "Stadiums" were far less elaborate back then, consisting of wooden bleachers with maybe a grandstand. Given the spartan surroundings, teams started playing the anthem before games as a way of alerting the crowd that the game would shortly begin. Its origins had nothing to do with patriotism, showing appreciation, etc. Of course once the tradition was established it took on greater significance with the public, and has become expected before sporting events.

When you watch Sunday you will hear the National Anthem sung before the game on TV. Pay attention because it is only time you will hear it sung on TV before an NFL game until the Super Bowl. NFL has gotta sell commercials and can't waste precious air time with something like the National Anthem.

They should do it every week. NASCAR does it, why can't others?

Actually, that's not what I've read. The playing of the national anthem before baseball games began around the turn of the century. "Stadiums" were far less elaborate back then, consisting of wooden bleachers with maybe a grandstand. Given the spartan surroundings, teams started playing the anthem before games as a way of alerting the crowd that the game would shortly begin. Its origins had nothing to do with patriotism, showing appreciation, etc. Of course once the tradition was established it took on greater significance with the public, and has become expected before sporting events.

Right, but they could've chosen literally anything to accomplish that.

I agree with the Cowboys fan that posted up there^^^^^

When I go to Bills games and especially Sabres games, the national anthem makes me proud to be an American, gives me the chills like you wouldn't believe, puts a tear in my eye and last but not least GETS ME READY FOR THE GAME! There's no way to describe it.

:thumbsup: This^

I love our Anthem and I think its unites everyone for a breif time before we cheer on different colors. I once saw a fight at the Ralph about to start and someone stopped them and said "hey man its the Anthem!" Both guys stopped, fight averted.