Chief OL

ganesh

The KC Chiefs have trimmed down to the 53-man roster limit and it includes only SEVEN linemen.

The five projected starters from left to right include: Branden Albert, Ryan Lilja, Casey Wiegmann, Jon Asamoah and Barry Richardson.

Jared Gaitheris pushing for play-time at tackle and second-round draft pick Rodney Hudson rounds out the group as an interior swing player.

We are talking about lack of depth on the Bills. Many other teams have the same problem. OL is just hard to fill. We are not going to find any players in the waiver wire.

LT Brandon Albert - 3rd year pro. Has started 29 games at LT. 15th Overall selection in 2008

LG Ryan Lilja - 7yr pro. back in KC after playing with the Colts. Solid player

C Casey Wigeman - 18th season as the Center. Has played for several teams, 2nd stint with KC.

RG Jon Asamoha - 3rd Rd pick in 2010 draft. Started one game last season

RT Barry Richardson - 3rd year player, drafted in the 6th round. Was a 16 game starter last year.

Now Casey and Ryan have experience, but the Chiefs have an euqally vulnerable right side. Can the Bills defense put pressure on this offensive front. Can Merriman and Dareus create some havoc.

My question is: How the hell did this same OL allow the Chiefs to run the ball so effectively against us. I just have to believe coaching makes this team better.

I dont get it only 3 reserve O-line for 5 positions but the D-line has 4 reserve players for 3 positions!! I sure hope we will have a couple O-line on the practice squad!! It would suck to pull guys off the street mid-season and try to teach them the system is 3-4 days.

I dont get it only 3 reserve O-line for 5 positions but the D-line has 4 reserve players for 3 positions!! I sure hope we will have a couple O-line on the practice squad!! It would suck to pull guys off the street mid-season and try to teach them the system is 3-4 days.

couple of things here.

#1) Bills play just as much 4-3 as they do 3-4. Also, the O line tends to stay in the entire game barring injury, whereas the D line rotates quite frequently..hens the difference in the numbers

Also, adding to it, Albert's play at LT has come under some fire, leading to the signing of the injury prone Gaither.

I guess it depends on if you count Carrington as an OLB or not.

Edited by Carey Bender

You rotate DL- if healthy you do not rotate OL

The KC Chiefs have trimmed down to the 53-man roster limit and it includes only SEVEN linemen.

The five projected starters from left to right include: Branden Albert, Ryan Lilja, Casey Wiegmann, Jon Asamoah and Barry Richardson.

Jared Gaitheris pushing for play-time at tackle and second-round draft pick Rodney Hudson rounds out the group as an interior swing player.

We are talking about lack of depth on the Bills. Many other teams have the same problem. OL is just hard to fill. We are not going to find any players in the waiver wire.

LT Brandon Albert - 3rd year pro. Has started 29 games at LT. 15th Overall selection in 2008

C Casey Wigeman - 18th season as the Center. Has played for several teams, 2nd stint with KC.

RT Barry Richardson - 3rd year player, drafted in the 6th round. Was a 16 game starter last year.

Now Casey and Ryan have experience, but the Chiefs have an euqally vulnerable right side. Can the Bills defense put pressure on this offensive front. Can Merriman and Dareus create some havoc.

My question is: How the hell did this same OL allow the Chiefs to run the ball so effectively against us. I just have to believe coaching makes this team better.

Not sure how "vulnerable" this line is. I don't follow KC and don't know if it's the same line as last year. But they did lead the NFL in rushing in 2010.

This will be a good test of our revamped front 7. While KC was #1 in rushing yards, our defense was #32 in defending the rush.

I wonder, though, if KC's offense will take a step backwards with Charlie Weis.

Not sure how "vulnerable" this line is. I don't follow KC and don't know if it's the same line as last year. But they did lead the NFL in rushing in 2010.

This will be a good test of our revamped front 7. While KC was #1 in rushing yards, our defense was #32 in defending the rush.

If the pre-season is any indication, yes. And the additional problem in keeping just 7 OL is that one of them is Gaither, who had s had injury issues.

I watched KC third pre-season game and it was kind of ugly for them. They got dominated on both sides of the football, their trenches looked bad. B word Haley is calling the plays now, lots of short passes and screens. Palko played a series with the ones and I thought he looked better than Cassell, who is and always will be just a game manager.

Call me crazy but I always thought teams carried 8-10 OL with most carrying 9. Very odd to only have 2 OL to bring off the bench. Also OL have a decent amount of uses on special teams you would think they would need more.

You're not crazy. It's very typical to carry 9 OL and activate 8 for games. The Bills only kept 8 because they've decided to keep an extra LB than normal. This is partly due to the high number of injuries we seem to get at that position, and also partly due to the fact that we didn't really have more than 8 NFL-caliber OL in training camp.

I watched KC third pre-season game and it was kind of ugly for them. They got dominated on both sides of the football, their trenches looked bad. B word Haley is calling the plays now, lots of short passes and screens. Palko played a series with the ones and I thought he looked better than Cassell, who is and always will be just a game manager.

I wonder about Haley. Fired Gailey. Weis jumped ship. Chiefs went from 4-12 to the playoffs in one year. Wonder if last year was a bit of a fluke. Seems there are reasons to think the Bills can win this game.

Gaithers did not practice Friday and is now listed as questionable

Edited by richNjoisy

Gaithers did not practice Friday and is now listed as questionable

And the man they would like Gaither to replace, Barry Richardson is a pretty terrible ROT.

It really is a bit of a mystery how the Chiefs were able to run the ball so well last year.

Obviously Charles and Jones are excellent RBs but the offense has very few weapons and not much to strike fear in the heart of opponents in terms of overplaying the pass.

Dwayne Bowe is their only receiving threat now that Tony Moeaki is out for the season… and Dexter McCluster has had minimal impact.

I think we have a good chance of shutting down this offense.

But again, I don't know why they were such a good run team last year.

Maybe some of our Missouri contingent could shed light on this.

The thing I hope we don't see Sunday: Screen Passes all day. We looked terrible covering the screen in the preseason. If they go to the well early and often with Charles, McCluster and Jones on screens, it'll really help themnset up the run. It may only take 2 successful screens and one running play to end the game. 21 points is something I don't think we will score.

The thing I hope we don't see Sunday: Screen Passes all day. We looked terrible covering the screen in the preseason. If they go to the well early and often with Charles, McCluster and Jones on screens, it'll really help themnset up the run. It may only take 2 successful screens and one running play to end the game. 21 points is something I don't think we will score.

Are you sure? I noted in the games I saw that the FIRST STRING defense covered well and, in addition, were not fooled by misdirection plays. The replacement players as the games wore on, however, looked pretty bad.

I admit I missed the 4th game and only read about the third.

The Chiefs are going to come out throwing the ball, mark my words. The will anticipate that the Bills will start out hyped up and overcommitted to stopping the run, so they're going to try and make a few big plays passing the ball and then turn to the running game once the defense is off balance.

The Chiefs are going to come out throwing the ball, mark my words. The will anticipate that the Bills will start out hyped up and overcommitted to stopping the run, so they're going to try and make a few big plays passing the ball and then turn to the running game once the defense is off balance.

That sounds to me like a team trying to out-think itself. You do what you do best. The wild card in the equation is the fact the Chefs have a new play-caller -- there's no "book" on him.