I like our front seven on paper.

Question is... will they stay healthy?

Dareus - Big upside

Williams - Pro-bowler

Edwards - Solid-Good

Merriman - Pro-bowler when healthy

Davis/Morrison - Solid-Good?

Barnett - Good

??? - Who goes here? Kelsay (solid but not good), Carrington (unproven), Batten (unproven), Moats (seemed decent last year but is now in the middle)?

Edited by Dorkington

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll we won't know because he wasn't allowed to play his natural NFL position because of some arbitrary height requirement. BS. If he "ain't good enough " let him do or die on the field and not in a position where he is set up to fail. P*ss poor job of coaching on this matter.

Green, you are neglecting the fact that he got plenty of playing time there last year, and struggled. There was a reason for the move, it wasn't "arbitrary". If they didn't move him to ILB, he was an auto-cut...

Wanting a guy to be good, and a guy actually being good, are two different things man...Gailey went with the best players at the position, and they have looked good so far. I don't think you can fault him at all...

I like our front seven on paper.

Question is... will they stay healthy?

Dareus - Big upside

Williams - Pro-bowler

Edwards - Solid-Good

Merriman - Pro-bowler when healthy

Morrison - Solid-Good

Barnett - Good

??? - Who goes here? Kelsay (solid but not good), Carrington (unproven), Batten (unproven), Moats (seemed decent last year but is now in the middle)?

Morrison is a backup and was awful for the Jags last year (solid experienced depth guy though, good move). Davis is our starter...and has looked pretty good at that

Edited by Turbosrrgood

:D I think the Eddins/Moats/Coleman is an interesting battle. I wouldn't be surprised if Eddins made the roster...

It absolutely befuddles me that Moats is on the verge of a possible cut. Am I completely crazy or didn't we have him at OLB last year and didn't he provide a lot of QB pressures for us? I don't get it, I don't understand why he isn't playing in Kelsays slot. Maybe i'm clueless now a days. :doh:

Green, you are neglecting the fact that he got plenty of playing time there last year, and struggled. There was a reason for the move, it wasn't "arbitrary". If they didn't move him to ILB, he was an auto-cut...

Wanting a guy to be good, and a guy actually being good, are two different things man...Gailey went with the best players at the position, and they have looked good so far. I don't think you can fault him at all...

Morrison is a backup and was awful for the Jags last year (solid experienced depth guy though, good move). Davis is our starter...and has looked pretty good at that

I don't consider one bad year with one bad team enough to throw out many good years in the league. I was under the impression that he would compete for starter after he got familiar with the system. But either way, I'll update. :)

It absolutely befuddles me that Moats is on the verge of a possible cut. Am I completely crazy or didn't we have him at OLB last year and didn't he provide a lot of QB pressures for us? I don't get it, I don't understand why he isn't playing in Kelsays slot. Maybe i'm clueless now a days. :doh:

He did have a few nice plays last year, he also completely disappeared on run plays, and cant cover. Moats might have made for a nice situational pass rusher, but we have better guys there now. Carrington, who will be splitting time with Kelsey it appears, then Batten and Coleman as solid backups, with Eddins looking good and making a strong push.

Moats had a few nice plays, but looked FAR from great overall. People are only remembering those few nice plays, and are assuming he's a stud.

I don't consider one bad year with one bad team enough to throw out many good years in the league. I was under the impression that he would compete for starter after he got familiar with the system. But either way, I'll update. :)

Neither do I, which is why I think it is a good pickup. Unless something dramatic happens though, he will be a backup. Davis has looked very solid so far.

I agree. Let him play and prove it. Don't say he's too short and bury him in a place where he will fail. No excuse here. Let him compete or don't have him in camp. All else is crap.

We'll we won't know because he wasn't allowed to play his natural NFL position because of some arbitrary height requirement. BS. If he "ain't good enough " let him do or die on the field and not in a position where he is set up to fail. P*ss poor job of coaching on this matter.

Yea, Dave Wannstedt(ILB Coach) knows nothing about personnel and who should be playing where. What is he thinking?!?!

It seems everyone is caught up in some QB pressures Moats had last year. There's more to playing LB than pressure on the qb, how did he do in coverage, how did he do against the run? Obviously, the coaches feel he wasn't progressing enough in that area.

I hate what they've done to Moats. He showed promise on the outside, so they move him to the inside where now they don't know if he'll make the team.

Either way Chris White should not be a lock, and I'd take Moats over him even in the middle. White to PS.

The way Gailey was talking, Eddins is going to make the team. There's no way they would rave about a player & then try to sneak him onto the practice squad. At least, a competent organization wouldn't do this. If they try, they're going to lose him on waivers.

All this talk about Eddins is comical. He is this year's Joique Bell. I am pretty sure nobody else around the league gives a **** about Eddins. If he makes the roster that's fine. But if he plays it just means that Merriman is hurt or Kelsay/Carrington etc cannot get the job done.

I think it is funny how everyone was putting Moats in the Hall of Fame for making one hit on Favre and now he is going to be cut. All of the Armchair GMs/Talent evaluators on this board better not quit their day jobs.

Oh, and we should rush out and grab Tony Pike off of waivers. So many of you castigated the Bills for not picking him because he was surely going to be the next Tom Brady.

Edited by Maddog69

See: Kelsay, Chris.

Talk to the coaches and players. They'll tell you something different than what you read on this message board.

Green, I'll forgive your mancrush (or is it bromance?) on Arthur, but aren't we being just a touch melodramatic here? The guy got a ton of playing time last year, and if he was ready to light it up the coaches would hardly have moved him inside "arbitrarily." You're picking apart one quote from Gailey about prototypical height at the position, but that clearly doesn't tell the whole story.

White is a lock to do one thing, get cut, and most likely make the practice squad.

I just don't understand the emotional attachment to Moats. He was a late round pick, that got some playing time last year...made some nice plays, made a lot of bad plays, didn't look all that great to me. Batten, Coleman, and Eddins all look much better IMO.

With those guys, and Morrison and Sheppard (despite being injured all preseason) in the middle, Moats is on the outside looking in. White never really had a chance, but he should be safe on practice squad and get a shot next year.

Well said sir

I don't think the Bills would cut White and risk losing him. My bet is he winds up with some "injury" and gets shuffled to the IR.

I don't think Moats is going anywhere anyway. Gaughan is just stirring up something to talk about. I think Gailey and co. like Moats a lot.

Last year I groaned with heart-rending futility as opposing RBs ran through our defense like a machete through jello.

Have we in just one year transformed our weak LB corps into a strength? While reading Mark Gaughan's article today, I was struck by the quality of LBs who might not even make the 53 man squad:

Linebacker: Gailey kept nine last year. The starters are Shawne Merriman, Chris Kelsay, Andra Davis and Nick Barnett. Alex Carrington could count as a D-lineman or a linebacker, but he has worked at outside 'backer the past three weeks. Danny Batten is a lock outside. Inside men Kirk Morrison, Kelvin Sheppard and Chris White are locks. That's nine players, or eight if you count Carrington as a lineman. Will the Bills make room for either outside man Antonio Coleman or inside man Arthur Moats? Moats does more on special teams. Undrafted rookie Robert Eddins is a prime practice squad candidate.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article541133.ece

Strong at linebacker? Are you serious?

You have a bunch of castoffs from other teams and unproven young players and Kelsay! Where do you get strength from that scenario?

I know everyone wants to be optimistic about the Bills, but the reality is that this LB corp is a patchwork that strives to reach average status. Average would be an improvement, but by no means is this group strong.

Aren't we being a little too harsh on a 6th round pick who was moved from inside to outside LB at the last minute last year, his ROOKIE year? The one guy who made the most of his oppurtunities on a paper thin defensive line? Really, how much production do you guys expect from a sixth round rookie??? This kid is a Kyle Williams type of person, who despite supposed physical shortcomings, will more than make up for it in sheer hard work and heart. I am all for putting the best 7 out there...surely this kid has shown enough to warrant a second chance his SECOND year!

All this talk about Eddins is comical. He is this year's Joique Bell. I am pretty sure nobody else around the league gives a **** about Eddins. If he makes the roster that's fine. But if he plays it just means that Merriman is hurt or Kelsay/Carrington etc cannot get the job done.

I think it is funny how everyone was putting Moats in the Hall of Fame for making one hit on Favre and now he is going to be cut. All of the Armchair GMs/Talent evaluators on this board better not quit their day jobs.

Oh, and we should rush out and grab Tony Pike off of waivers. So many of you castigated the Bills for not picking him because he was surely going to be the next Tom Brady.

Not everyone

Strong at linebacker? Are you serious?

You have a bunch of castoffs from other teams and unproven young players and Kelsay! Where do you get strength from that scenario?

I know everyone wants to be optimistic about the Bills, but the reality is that this LB corp is a patchwork that strives to reach average status. Average would be an improvement, but by no means is this group strong.

You are either out of your damn mind or a troll....one of the two

Merrimen - Pro Bowler

Davis - Solid Starter

Barnett - Solid Starter for a championship team

Morrison - Solid Starter who has starter everywhere he has been

Kelsay - Average starter

Batten - Promising second year player

Colemen - Promising second year player

Shep - Unknown

When you consider where we were last year and you put that experience on the table....I challenge you to find 5 better sets of linebackers overall then that.

I hope we can keep Moats. Chan seemed to like his potential last (year (1st).

Morrison played poorly on Jags but go back to his starts in Oak. The boy can play football all day long. imo. tonight will help a little bit withs seeing/hearing about! his physical skills

We are strong at LB inside and out now. The Merriman thing is factoring into our play scheme, we are hoping for big pressures from him. Barnett is an upgrade too. With an up and coming Batten, Davis's solid play and lots of situational guys we should fair well this year. And as mentioned it does begin to succeed with the front 3 or 4 linesman. should be fun to watch this year at least!