Positive 11' Bills Discussion

eme123

- D has good blend of experience (Williams, Barnett, Merriman, McGee) and youth (Dareus, Troup, Batten, Moats). They should work together to vault our overall D to the mid-tier. Possibly right in the middle as averaged for the entire season

- Spiller, Jackson, Fitzy, Stevie, B Smith, Gailey will keep the O humming (if the OL gives them a smidgen of time). My widcard - Easley comes on real strong by mid-season

- We steal a win over NE (yea, I really think so) on the strength of an opportunistic D

- Our DBs mature and while I dont expect much from McK, Byrd/Aaron Williams/Scott should do quite well with the DL's aggressiveness

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed. Now for the negative. If Dareus turns into the next Bruce Smith, I highly doubt the Bills will be able to re-sign him.

You know, I was young, but I recall a lot of people saying the same thing about the original Bruce Smith when his contract first came up.

1. The D has to be better

2. We get to see promising young players develop this year. (spiller,troup,carrington,stevie,nelson,jones,dareus,sheppard)

3. We get to find out what Fitz is really made of

I'll admit I go into panic mode as fast as anybody and I did after watching the last preseason game but I don't think that we will be worse than we were last year. If we are worse than we are last year then so be it. We still have a decent core of young talent to build on and the qb class coming out next year is awesome. I think this may be the last year the Bills suck. GO Bills!

•  
  • Dareus and Merriman, like everyone else.
  • The potential of Brad Smith, like everyone else.
  • The potential for a fun offense.
  • Cool uniforms.
  • Fitz's beard is respectable.
  • After watching the Giants, Ravens and Eagles games, I was wondering why in the world we got rid of P. Fewell, L. Evans and B. April. Sorry, there I go again...
  • As a former New Yorker and current Atlantan, I find it amusing this team, which epitomizes the North, is led by two Southerners, one of whom, Nix, has a drawl that even sounds extreme to me.
  • I do like Gailey, and I'm confident he will build a team that is eventually competitive and fun to watch. Don't know if we can beat the Pats with him, but I do like him.

That about wraps up my thoughts.

I'm happy to see this! People are getting so down, and we haven't even started yet.

Things I like:

1) Our new run defense. If Merriman and Barnett can be even relatively healthy and if Dareus keeps playing as he has or, quite possibly *gets better* :worthy: I don't see us getting gouged on the ground nearly as often.

2) Our offense. Yes, we've kind of sucked this preseason. But if people remember last season, Fitz almost always got better as the game went on. I think that a spread offense works well with our O-line, and honestly think that Spiller would make a good option back. With Brad Smith coming in as a QB to run a real Wildcat that gives us options without having to rely too much on our O-line.

1. Our head coach, who has a reputation for offensive ingenuity, had lots of time on his hands during the lock-out - - and hasn't shown much of anything surprising yet in preseason - - it's coming.

2. Could be wrong, but we're half way through preseason, and we don't have anybody significant out injured for the year, or even the first regular season game.

3. If Jasper makes the practice squad, he hasn't shown enough so far this preseason to create a risk that some other team will steal him away from us before he develops into an All-Pro. [it's an optimist thread]

Lets start a positive discussion about the 11' Bills. We all know there are some negatives to talk about which are included in every other thread on this board. So if you can't handle a glass half full mentality (Winners Mentality) then don't bother posting.

I'm going to start a confrontation and say that I'm feeling positive about the recent changes on the O-Line. The Bills obviously feel pretty strong about the development of Chad Rhinehart which frees up a very versatile Levitre. Levitre has alot of experience at LT and will likely give Bell some hefty competition at that spot. If it wasn't for his short arms he would be a LT in the NFL already. Pears has looked serviceable at RT in the pre season so far and has been quiet. Quiet on the O-line is a good thing. Urbik started out this pre season terrible and has showed some improvement. Wood is nice and stiff in the middle.

One reason i see this O-line getting alot better is the competition they have going in practice every day. Competition for starting spots all over the line such as Bell vs. Levitre, Levitre vs. Rhinehart, Hangartner vs. Urbik. Every day this o-line has to deal with a bigger, stronger, and heavier defense. I really think this will help them improve leverage. Also, going up against talents like Kyle Williams, Dareus, Merriman will make them better with their hands.

What do you guys have thats positive about the 11' Bills??

Dareus will be a blast to watch, simply because their are only a small handful of super gifted big man O lineman in the league that can handle that quickness and push. He will be a show himself, much like the way Kris Jenkins simply dominated for the Jets for the two or three years he was healthy. Reggie White size and quicks. Also, a healthy Merriman playing at 90% will be something to see for those of us who saw him play in SD. Like Dareus, just an very unusual, very rare combo of size, quicks and find the ball savvy, much like Biscuit years ago.

Whether the offense scores 15 or 45, it will be fun to watch simply because Gailey is a creative, agressive offensive coach and has a QB who has little fear of failure. So that will be fun as well.

Could be some real blowouts going both ways this year, so get the popcorn out and do not be surprised by anything you see....

I like the idea of Alex Carrington playing a pash rushing outside linebacker role. The guy is up to 305lbs right now with good speed and agility. He's not going to be covering running backs in space by any means but i think he will give tackles/tight ends fits coming from a stand up position. I have not seen any confirmation anywhere but i would imagine Carrington would take Kelsay's place on obvious run downs and heavy pass rush situations. I think this will get a handle on the Bills' problem with "setting the edge" last year.

Lets start a positive discussion about the 11' Bills. We all know there are some negatives to talk about which are included in every other thread on this board. So if you can't handle a glass half full mentality (Winners Mentality) then don't bother posting.

I'm going to start a confrontation and say that I'm feeling positive about the recent changes on the O-Line. The Bills obviously feel pretty strong about the development of Chad Rhinehart which frees up a very versatile Levitre. Levitre has alot of experience at LT and will likely give Bell some hefty competition at that spot. If it wasn't for his short arms he would be a LT in the NFL already. Pears has looked serviceable at RT in the pre season so far and has been quiet. Quiet on the O-line is a good thing. Urbik started out this pre season terrible and has showed some improvement. Wood is nice and stiff in the middle.

One reason i see this O-line getting alot better is the competition they have going in practice every day. Competition for starting spots all over the line such as Bell vs. Levitre, Levitre vs. Rhinehart, Hangartner vs. Urbik. Every day this o-line has to deal with a bigger, stronger, and heavier defense. I really think this will help them improve leverage. Also, going up against talents like Kyle Williams, Dareus, Merriman will make them better with their hands.

agreed.....our oline came on strong at the end of last season...it doesn't make sense that they can regress so much

great thread.

to me, the positives are that we started 0-8 last year, and finished 4-4. the last 3 games of our 0-8 stretch, we lost by 3 points each.

we were clearly a team on the rise last year, and to me, it's exciting that the front office is getting rid of players on this team that have contributed to a DECADE of losing. i don't think anyone here could say with confidence they like the way the bills have been playing in the last decade, so how they could turn around and complain that we need to keep evans, or poz, or fred jackson, or ANYONE for that matter, is beyond me.

i think, gailey and nix have a vision. big football players in the trenches, athletic playmakers on the wings and in the backfield.

to get to where they want to be is going to take time. a football roster isn't a basketball roster - its 53 positions that need to be turned over. 3-4-5 years of rebuilding is fine with me, as long as we continue to see progress. for me, i saw A LOT of progress from week 1 to week 17 last year, and im optimistic it's going to happen again.

furthermore, when you look at our schedule, there's really only 3 games (2 new england, 1 philly) that i look at as it would be a miracle if we win. i mean, theres a full THIRTEEN games on this schedule, that when i sit down in front of the tv, with a beer in hand, i'm going to be dissapointed if we lose. this is a really good schedule for us this year.

everyone is jumping ship because we lost a SCRIMMAGE in which our coach basically said were not blitzing, were not helping on the o-line, im just going to analyze position by position who can do what in space without help. ITS THE PRESEASON. IT. DOES. NOT. MATTER.

and if it does matter, 3 of our first 4 games in the regular season are against teams that are, you guessed it, 0-2 this preseason.

it's going to be the best year following the bills since 04. im confident of it.

Good points.

The defense has to be beter with Wannstadt helping out and the addition of Dareus and Barnett. Plus we have Kyle Williams. If Merriman is healthy they could be decent.

On offense, uhmm, uhh ... if Fitz has time to throw we will be ok.

great effort of will by some and an affirmative posting by all.

I am quoting one of our fellows here " Could be some real blowouts going both ways this year, so get the popcorn out and do not be surprised by anything you see.... "

i love it. who needs details, this covers it!

gobills.

Best defensive front seven in a decade. QB depth chart is actually known going into the season.