Spiller

I have seen a couple people post this.

I must have been watching a different game. From what I remember he had one good run to the right where he had nothing but space in front of him and he used his speed well. Otherwise squat. Not to mention his pedestrian pass routes and non existent pass blocking.

I'm not ready to declare Spiller a bust at this point, but he did not play or run well Saturday overall.

I thought Sunday was a mixted bag for Spiller.....he had some decent runs but still gets taken down by the first guy.....and he still needs to work on his blocking

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, lets keep the player around until he "develops" into an untradable commodity like Hardy, Maybin, McCargo, etc. Some people on this board act like the Bills are a well-run organization. RB is an easy position to play relativley speaking. I'd be all for trading Spiller if we got a top OL in return. Then we can plug Jackson and White back there and you will see them flourish. The Spiller pick was totally wasted, and will be, until we have a good O-line.

Why not just play Madden and ignore the NFL altogether.

Skip the middle man...

GTFO. Go back and watch the first quarter of the Denver game. Spiller ran well.

Yawn

^ This. We need to let Spiller develop. Thats all Hardy, Maybin, McCargo, Losman, Edwards, DBell, Levitre, needed. Once they got it, bang they were all pro.

This :thumbsup::lol:

More people than you think believe you in that a Spiller trade may be a good idea (though not for a 4th rounder a la Evans). I suggested a Spiller trade a few months ago and got spat on by the amateur experts on this noard. This thread is comparatively mild for the identical subject matter. Extrapolate further, and the same posters blasting the idea of a Spiller trade will be blasting the FO for not trading Spiller sooner to get more value in a trade.

Unfortunately, the Spiller pick is looking like the McGahee pick of years back, a luxury pick that failed to address a critical need.I like Spiller and his speed, but as one poster says, he needs a wide openning to be effective. In other words, he needs the door openned for him, while Jackson can open doors himself. It's a track star versus a football player.

McGahee is twice the back Spiller is and I didn't want Him either, we must have a penchant for drafting backs when we already have good ones.

No, lets keep the player around until he "develops" into an untradable commodity like Hardy, Maybin, McCargo, etc. Some people on this board act like the Bills are a well-run organization. RB is an easy position to play relativley speaking. I'd be all for trading Spiller if we got a top OL in return. Then we can plug Jackson and White back there and you will see them flourish. The Spiller pick was totally wasted, and will be, until we have a good O-line.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Seriously? His second season hasn't even started yet! Maybe he's not the greatest RB to start out of college but let's give him a little time before completely writing him off. Let him work more with Jackson. This may come as a shock, but some people aren't immediately amazing when they start off.

Edited by That Guy

Naa, sometimes it takes awhile for players to finally get it.

Jamaal Charles for example had a bad first year, he was a 3rd round pick in 2008 so expectations were not that high for him his first year. Still he managed better then 5 yds per carry that first year.

Combine times, Charles ran a 4.29 Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 Spiller 4.37 He has some serious speed if he can get in the open. I look at the coaches / GM failure to upgrade the O line to enhance his ability.

You should've just stopped talking right there. Theres a big difference between developing a 3rd round RB and waiting for a top 10 pick to develop.

Lets also trade Dareus already, the guy will obviously be a bust too. We haven't made the playoffs with him here, heck, the Bills haven't even won a game with him in the lineup yet. He has yet to have a Sack or even a tackle in a meaningful NFL game

get rid of this obvious bust now.

:blink::lol: please Dareus was a no brainer and Spiller was also a no brainer if you can figure that out.

You think it's time to go for Spiller? You should go to his house and burn a lower-case "t" to let him know.

Yeah because It's totally racist that I want him gone, I want him gone because I never wanted him in the first place and now we should get some value out of him before he has none and get the OT we should have drafted.

And this is why the OP is on my ignore list.

Thanks!

Spiller had a couple of nice runs, and he should have had a long gainer on the screen, but urbik completely blew the block that would have sprung Spiller free. Spiller also had a few head scratching runs.

To not acknowledge both the good and bad of the way he played on saturday shows that you simply have an axe to grind.

I have no axe to grind. I hope he turns into a perennial all pro.

That screen you mentioned looked to me like Spiller outrunning his blockers (which has been an issue with him to date).

The only nice run I remember was the one where he had nothing in front of him to the right.

The others I remember him seeing people in his path and either stutter-stepping or trying to take it outside and getting dropped.

I could be wrong I guess, maybe it just depends upon our definitions of a nice run.

Yeah because It's totally racist that I want him gone, I want him gone because I never wanted him in the first place and now we should get some value out of him before he has none and get the OT we should have drafted.

Haha relax, it was a South Park reference. I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't use the words "time to go".

I have no axe to grind. I hope he turns into a perennial all pro.

That screen you mentioned looked to me like Spiller outrunning his blockers (which has been an issue with him to date).

The only nice run I remember was the one where he had nothing in front of him to the right.

The others I remember him seeing people in his path and either stutter-stepping or trying to take it outside and getting dropped.

I could be wrong I guess, maybe it just depends upon our definitions of a nice run.

Go back and re-watch the screen pass. If he waits, he gets tackled because of the pursuit. Urbik completely whiffed on the play. You can certainly fault him for a couple of his runs, but the screen pass was not his fault for "only" gaining 10 yards. If Urbik hits the block, he springs that screen pass for a big gain.

Am I missing something? Didn't CJ run well in Denver? I swear when I rewarched the game last night I saw he had over 5+ yards per carry. Can someone go online and print up his stats from the other day? I can't get this info right now.

Personally I thought he ran very well especially with our crap line line. He is slowing things down and waiting for more holes. The one run behind Ubrik should have been better if he waited a little longer to break it out but that's the only real mistake that springs to mind. His pass blocking on the other hand needs a ton of work. He's going to get Fitz killed.

Go back and re-watch the screen pass. If he waits, he gets tackled because of the pursuit. Urbik completely whiffed on the play. You can certainly fault him for a couple of his runs, but the screen pass was not his fault for "only" gaining 10 yards. If Urbik hits the block, he springs that screen pass for a big gain.

Another run he at first looked bad on was the first drive, third and one or two. He gets the hand off and immediately there are two guys right in front of him. He stops and tries to bounce it outside. There is a third guy waiting for him and he gets about a yard or so before he is tackled just short of the first down. He didn't miss a hole, or misread the line, he avoided two defenders right on his ass three yards short of the first down. He probably, in retrospect, wishes he would have made the third guy miss, or dragged him for a first, but it was not in any way a bad run or misread of blocking, there was no blocking whatsoever right in front of him where the play was designed.

Am I missing something? Didn't CJ run well in Denver? I swear when I rewarched the game last night I saw he had over 5+ yards per carry. Can someone go online and print up his stats from the other day? I can't get this info right now.

Personally I thought he ran very well especially with our crap line line. He is slowing things down and waiting for more holes. The one run behind Ubrik should have been better if he waited a little longer to break it out but that's the only real mistake that springs to mind. His pass blocking on the other hand needs a ton of work. He's going to get Fitz killed.

6 carries for 10 yards. 1.67 ypc

2 receptions for 11 yards.

Interesting that you should use the term 'track star' - OJ was a track star. He also sucked his first 3 seasons, 'til Lou Saban returned to Buffalo and built an o-line and offense around Simpson.

Spiller gets more than one season to prove his worth, and you can't even begin to judge his talents while he's running behind this pathetic o-line.

Spiller and Jackson played behind the same O-line and Jackson outperformed him, in other words there is an apples to apples comparison and Jackson wins (at least in 2010). OJ's first 3 years were unproductive, but he was still the number 1 back. I also watched him play then, and he showed more than Spiller has (No offense to CJ, given OJ is a hall of famer). You don't have to believe me, but Lou Saban saw enough thru a fractured o-line to know that building around OJ was the best plan going forward. I don't see anyone building an offense around Spiller right now. Perhaps in time, but right now Jackson looks like the go to guy.

A track star? I think we're underestimating the talent that Spiller has. I had the luxury of watching him for 4 years at Clemson and he is nothing but a football player.

Give the guy some time to be able read the shambles of the line that he has infront of him. Jackson has had 4 years to learn how to react in a similar system without much talent on the front line. By week 6 this year all of the people who thought of trading this guy will be eating their words.

Spiller's playing in the NFL, not at Clemson. The NFL knows how to neutralize talent that flourishes in college. I hope your last line is correct, but I wish we saw more consistent production from Spiller in the 2nd half of last season. Jackson can give you several consecutive productive plays, something Spiller needs to show.