Spiller

Its time we trade Spiller. RB is supposed to be the easiest position to transition into the pros but he is making it look difficult. Now is the time we should trade him before we cut him next year like Maybin. Nix needs to admit he made a mistake and do the right thing by getting a competent WR or tackle in here.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its time we trade Spiller. RB is supposed to be the easiest position to transition into the pros but he is making it look difficult. Now is the time we should trade him before we cut him next year like Maybin. Nix needs to admit he made a mistake and do the right thing by getting a competent WR or tackle in here.

Naa, sometimes it takes awhile for players to finally get it.

Jamaal Charles for example had a bad first year, he was a 3rd round pick in 2008 so expectations were not that high for him his first year. Still he managed better then 5 yds per carry that first year.

Combine times, Charles ran a 4.29 Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 Spiller 4.37 He has some serious speed if he can get in the open. I look at the coaches / GM failure to upgrade the O line to enhance his ability.

Nix doesn't admit mistakes.

GTFO. Go back and watch the first quarter of the Denver game. Spiller ran well.

I have seen a couple people post this.

I must have been watching a different game. From what I remember he had one good run to the right where he had nothing but space in front of him and he used his speed well. Otherwise squat. Not to mention his pedestrian pass routes and non existent pass blocking.

I'm not ready to declare Spiller a bust at this point, but he did not play or run well Saturday overall.

It doesn't surprise me that a veteran of this board would make a stupid comment like this.

LET THE PLAYER DEVELOP!! You people act like you can just snap your fingers and have a playoff team fall into your lap.

The guy came into the league 12 months ago. Any one who WATCHES the Bills has seen gradual improvement from this guy over that time period. Maybin was no better in year 3 than he was in year 1. Thats a huge difference.

I have seen a couple people post this.

I must have been watching a different game. From what I remember he had one good run to the right where he had nothing but space in front of him and he used his speed well. Otherwise squat. Not to mention his pedestrian pass routes and non existent pass blocking.

I'm not ready to declare Spiller a bust at this point, but he did not play or run well Saturday overall.

Spiller had a couple of nice runs, and he should have had a long gainer on the screen, but urbik completely blew the block that would have sprung Spiller free. Spiller also had a few head scratching runs.

To not acknowledge both the good and bad of the way he played on saturday shows that you simply have an axe to grind.

LET THE PLAYER DEVELOP!!

^ This. We need to let Spiller develop. Thats all Hardy, Maybin, McCargo, Losman, Edwards, DBell, Levitre, needed. Once they got it, bang they were all pro.

Edited by Thoner7

Better just to ignore the buzzing of message boards...

I disagree. Most Bills first round draft picks are similar to new car purchases. When you drive off the lot, the value goes sharply down.

Think about it.....Maybin, Whitner, Losman, McCargo, Lynch. These players had little to no value once the league saw them play. It's nice to think Spiller is different, and he might be. But at this point he would only be worth perhaps a 4th or 5th.

Might as well roll the dice and see if he will ever be any good.

So now we draft players, keep them for one season, and - if they don't set any all-time NFL records in their rookie season - cut them loose?

I agree that he was not the smartest pick, since we already had 2 excellent RBs in Lynch and Jackson. We should have taken OT Anthony Davis, but Spiller was not a 'reach' at #9 like Maybin was at #11 the year before - Spiller was the #1 RB and ranked in the top-5 overall by many. What's done is done - he needs to play and develop this season (and produce, which I believe he will).

Don't see how trading the guy now helps the 're-build' process at all. What do you think we'd get for him, anyway?

Edited by The Senator

More people than you think believe you in that a Spiller trade may be a good idea (though not for a 4th rounder a la Evans). I suggested a Spiller trade a few months ago and got spat on by the amateur experts on this noard. This thread is comparatively mild for the identical subject matter. Extrapolate further, and the same posters blasting the idea of a Spiller trade will be blasting the FO for not trading Spiller sooner to get more value in a trade.

Unfortunately, the Spiller pick is looking like the McGahee pick of years back, a luxury pick that failed to address a critical need.I like Spiller and his speed, but as one poster says, he needs a wide openning to be effective. In other words, he needs the door openned for him, while Jackson can open doors himself. It's a track star versus a football player.

Now is the time we should trade him before we cut him next year like Maybin.

No offense, but you are simply out of your mind if that is the way you truly feel. He's 24 and going into his second year??? I get that the NFL fishbowl has become 24/7 with hacks like Jerry Sullivan looking to create controversy all the time -- but give the kid a chance. All NFL rookie running backs struggle with blitz pickups and speed-of-game adjustments. Mendenhall rushed for 58 yards in his rookie year -- do you think the Steelers are glad they didn't trade him away after his dismal first year?

More people than you think believe you in that a Spiller trade may be a good idea (though not for a 4th rounder a la Evans). I suggested a Spiller trade a few months ago and got spat on by the amateur experts on this noard. This thread is comparatively mild for the identical subject matter. Extrapolate further, and the same posters blasting the idea of a Spiller trade will be blasting the FO for not trading Spiller sooner to get more value in a trade.

Unfortunately, the Spiller pick is looking like the McGahee pick of years back, a luxury pick that failed to address a critical need.I like Spiller and his speed, but as one poster says, he needs a wide openning to be effective. In other words, he needs the door openned for him, while Jackson can open doors himself. It's a track star versus a football player.

Interesting that you should use the term 'track star' - OJ was a track star. He also sucked his first 3 seasons, 'til Lou Saban returned to Buffalo and built an o-line and offense around Simpson.

Spiller gets more than one season to prove his worth, and you can't even begin to judge his talents while he's running behind this pathetic o-line.

^ This. We need to let Spiller develop. Thats all Hardy, Maybin, McCargo, Losman, Edwards, DBell, Levitre, needed. Once they got it, bang they were all pro.

No, lets keep the player around until he "develops" into an untradable commodity like Hardy, Maybin, McCargo, etc. Some people on this board act like the Bills are a well-run organization. RB is an easy position to play relativley speaking. I'd be all for trading Spiller if we got a top OL in return. Then we can plug Jackson and White back there and you will see them flourish. The Spiller pick was totally wasted, and will be, until we have a good O-line.

I still for the life of me can't figure out how people think Spiller was a luxury pick. The guy will start for this team and Freddy is north of 30. Explain to me how you'd want to trade a guy that hasn't had a chance to play yet? This is the kind of stuff that keeps this team mired in mediocrity. He has the potential to develop into a true game changer, so yeah lets trade him now before he gets too good :thumbdown:

A track star? I think we're underestimating the talent that Spiller has. I had the luxury of watching him for 4 years at Clemson and he is nothing but a football player.

Give the guy some time to be able read the shambles of the line that he has infront of him. Jackson has had 4 years to learn how to react in a similar system without much talent on the front line. By week 6 this year all of the people who thought of trading this guy will be eating their words.

YES!! Another RB to run out of town!! Forget waiting, lets jump on this bandwagon before his 2nd season officially starts!!

He has caused dishonor to the house of our aging utility RB! He must be exiled from the city of Buffalo!

edit: YES, RB is the easiest position to play. Especially behind the all-pro line of the Buffalo Bills. Our superior OT performance should allow him to bounce it outside and hit the lane every play. WHY DOESNT HE WANT TO RUN THE BALL???

Edited by DrDareustein