Spiller

Its time we trade Spiller. RB is supposed to be the easiest position to transition into the pros but he is making it look difficult. Now is the time we should trade him before we cut him next year like Maybin. Nix needs to admit he made a mistake and do the right thing by getting a competent WR or tackle in here.

ok, most sane fans know this is a stupid pick.

and they also know jackson is still a better player.

should we have chosen him at all, let alone at #9? probably not. is he a bust yet? hell no.

i can only hope he started in denver because it was a pre-season game and the coaches wanted to see what he looked like with the first team. if they can't see by now that jackson is obviously the better player, they're a bunch of idiots.

spiller is an example of a guy who, if we dumped him (which is not likely, but with this regime ANYTHING is possible)would go to another team and make the pro bowl with reasonable blocking. the fact that jackson can do what he does behind this line means that not only should he start, but there should be a !@#$ing statue of him right outside the main gate of the stadium.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't surprise me that a veteran of this board would make a stupid comment like this.

Just because he has a terrible case of keyboard diarrhea and never shuts up does not make him a veteran.

He's been here exactly 3 weeks longer than you.

I disagree. Most Bills first round draft picks are similar to new car purchases. When you drive off the lot, the value goes sharply down.

Think about it.....Maybin, Whitner, Losman, McCargo, Lynch. These players had little to no value once the league saw them play. It's nice to think Spiller is different, and he might be. But at this point he would only be worth perhaps a 4th or 5th.

Might as well roll the dice and see if he will ever be any good.

Agreed. Just to add to what you've written: if Nix gets rid of Spiller, he will (presumably) become a lot more open to the idea of using another first round pick on a "waterbug" back for Gailey's offense. :( The longer it takes before that happens, the better. And who knows? Maybe Spiller or some other back will become the waterbug Gailey is looking for, without the Bills having to invest yet another first round pick into the position.

I still for the life of me can't figure out how people think Spiller was a luxury pick. The guy will start for this team and Freddy is north of 30. Explain to me how you'd want to trade a guy that hasn't had a chance to play yet? This is the kind of stuff that keeps this team mired in mediocrity. He has the potential to develop into a true game changer, so yeah lets trade him now before he gets too good :thumbdown:

At the time Spiller was drafted the Bills still had Lynch, who was very much the right side of 30. Given that fact, the Spiller pick was very much a luxury pick.

At the time Spiller was drafted the Bills still had Lynch, who was very much the right side of 30. Given that fact, the Spiller pick was very much a luxury pick.

Buddy had already decided to move Lynch well before Spiller was selected, so we essentially only had Fred Jackson; and one back does not cut it in this league.

While I hated the pick, we did need another back at the time.

Oh brother.

First, I am sick and tired of trading guys that we picked in the first round for lower round picks.

Second, anyone who saw Spiller play in college knows that the guy has a lot of talent. We will see whether that translates to the NFL. Yet, the guy is just beginning his sophomore year (so to speak). Let's see what he can do.

Its time we trade Spiller. RB is supposed to be the easiest position to transition into the pros but he is making it look difficult. Now is the time we should trade him before we cut him next year like Maybin. Nix needs to admit he made a mistake and do the right thing by getting a competent WR or tackle in here.

This is why you never go full retard.

Spiller has talent, it is that his learning curve is out of whack as of now. Maybin didn't have ANY positives.

I cannot advocate for this as of now... maybe the light switch will turn on for him, and the line will improve.

Buddy had already decided to move Lynch well before Spiller was selected, so we essentially only had Fred Jackson; and one back does not cut it in this league.

While I hated the pick, we did need another back at the time.

Ummm Lynch started like 4 games for us in 2010. how is that Nix deciding to trade him already?

And even still, that doesnt make Spiller a good pick at 9

GTFO Spiller! And take Dareus with you!

What does GTFO mean anyway

Smart Thinking Sir. The guy's never gonna be what Chan envisioned. Totally 100% on board with this. :thumbsup:

Ummm Lynch started like 4 games for us in 2010. how is that Nix deciding to trade him already?

And even still, that doesnt make Spiller a good pick at 9

What does GTFO mean anyway

That was the classic showcase in an attempt to bump up Lynch's value. They wouldn't have got a hill of beans for him in the offseason so they waited until they could show he was healthy and committed to try and maximize his value.

And no it doesn't make Spiller a good pick; the Lynch move was right but that pick was a bad foot for the new GM to get off on.

GTFO = Get the f*** out

No, lets keep the player around until he "develops" into an untradable commodity like Hardy, Maybin, McCargo, etc. Some people on this board act like the Bills are a well-run organization. RB is an easy position to play relativley speaking. I'd be all for trading Spiller if we got a top OL in return. Then we can plug Jackson and White back there and you will see them flourish. The Spiller pick was totally wasted, and will be, until we have a good O-line.

You have a good point. If we trade him now, some other team is bound to think him sucking is our bad OL and not his lack of awareness or abilty to break tackles(maybe it is, maybe it isnt). He may be worth a 2nd rounder even. If we keep him around for a few more years he may not be worth anything!

I still for the life of me can't figure out how people think Spiller was a luxury pick. The guy will start for this team and Freddy is north of 30. Explain to me how you'd want to trade a guy that hasn't had a chance to play yet? This is the kind of stuff that keeps this team mired in mediocrity. He has the potential to develop into a true game changer, so yeah lets trade him now before he gets too good :thumbdown:

This is only my opinion but, unless a RB is that rare athlete who is so outstanding that his play and his impact puts him in a category above and beyond all other RBs of his time (think Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, the young Sayers...probably Red Grange, and maybe ten or 20 others including the Bills own O.J. Simpson)then I don't think any RB is worth a 1st round pick.

In the case of Spiller, he was a luxury pick because he did not meet the "position of need" criteria, nor were his set of skills so unusual or so impressive that they would have made an immediate impact on the game. The Bills already had a wealth of punt and kick returners, and arguably had two solid backs who were good receivers and decent blockers. So Spiller filled no particularly glaring need. At the same time, there were other holes on the team that screamed to be addressed. And if the Bills wanted to add depth at RB, they could easily have done that later in the draft. In fact, they could have done it in free agency: LaGarrette Blount went undrafted.

Bottom line: unless a RB is that once-every-10-year phenom, they don't rate a 1st round pick. And they especially don't rate one when there are more pressing needs.

You think it's time to go for Spiller? You should go to his house and burn a lower-case "t" to let him know.

More people than you think believe you in that a Spiller trade may be a good idea (though not for a 4th rounder a la Evans). I suggested a Spiller trade a few months ago and got spat on by the amateur experts on this noard. This thread is comparatively mild for the identical subject matter. Extrapolate further, and the same posters blasting the idea of a Spiller trade will be blasting the FO for not trading Spiller sooner to get more value in a trade.

Unfortunately, the Spiller pick is looking like the McGahee pick of years back, a luxury pick that failed to address a critical need.I like Spiller and his speed, but as one poster says, he needs a wide openning to be effective. In other words, he needs the door openned for him, while Jackson can open doors himself. It's a track star versus a football player.

+1