At What Point Do Nix and Gailey Own This Team

Nix and Gailey owned this team from the time they signed with the Bill's organization. Right now they are attempting to make the best team they know how based upon the talent they have and the talent they can get. I think they are open to free agency. But not many free agents want to play for the Bills. They both recognize they will get their main talent through the draft. I am not willing to crucify them based upon a few preseason games.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/6883286/tmq-says-money-motivates-losing-cheap-paying-wins

Seems to hit a bit close to home...and I love how the cartoon depicts players with 'our colors.'

That is how the entire country views the Bills. Whether right or wrong, it is how it is. The Bills have no one to blame for themselves. Countless mistreated players. Players leaving because the did not feel they got a sufficient enough pay raise, that they eventually would up getting somewhere else.

Mr.Wilson whom I do respect and admire as a person for what he has done for this league, has put a black cloud over this organization over the past ten years.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/6883286/tmq-says-money-motivates-losing-cheap-paying-wins

Seems to hit a bit close to home...and I love how the cartoon depicts players with 'our colors.'

Gregg Easterbrook is from Buffalo. This is very clearly about the Bills.

Btw, Edwards' salary for last season was guaranteed because he was on the opening day roster.

When you have made up your mind that the draft is the only way to build the franchise (For Buddy and Chan), they better get their drafting right...Your players from 1st - 3rd round need to be solid contributors, not bench warmers...

And that assumes this GM/HC are committed to playing rookies. Both guys are 'old school,' so it's likely not in their nature to rush young draft picks into the lineup at the expense of their long-run development.

They seem willing to loose games, rather than follow the 'burn up the new guys to win now' approach of the past few years. We better acknowledge that reality as fans pretty soon..

"Since arriving a year ago, Nix has waived, traded or let go four recent first-round draft choices (Maybin, Evans, Marshawn Lynch and Donte Whitner), cutting costs while shifting blame backward to the previous coach and general manager."

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Right, and Lynch, Whitner, and Maybin all deserved to stay based on merit alone.

The only true irreplaceable talent was Evans and I don't buy for a second he was let go simply for money reasons. You don't give a guy a $1.5m bonus days before trading him just to save money.

GO BILLS!!!

Cue the Ralph apologists on this one...cant wait to see the spin.

Image is EVERYTHING sometimes, and whether you see the Evans trade a different way,. agents, GM's and players WILL see it the way it was described in the article.

Keep apologizing for Ralph, it will get you nowhere.

That is how the entire country views the Bills. Whether right or wrong, it is how it is. The Bills have no one to blame for themselves. Countless mistreated players. Players leaving because the did not feel they got a sufficient enough pay raise, that they eventually would up getting somewhere else.

Mr.Wilson whom I do respect and admire as a person for what he has done for this league, has put a black cloud over this organization over the past ten years.

Well I think we all know it's not a misconception but the truth, it literally is spelled out in black & white on how our franchise and some of the other sad sack franchises operate.

"Since arriving a year ago, Nix has waived, traded or let go four recent first-round draft choices (Maybin, Evans, Marshawn Lynch and Donte Whitner), cutting costs while shifting blame backward to the previous coach and general manager."

Curious how you see making the team weaker (the premise of this statement, I presume) is better for Buddy? If anything, I see it as the opposite...that Nix has big enough balls to make the hard decisions to dump the past mediocrity, even if it negatively affects the team's short-term results, in order to build a solid long-term foundation.

If anything, Donahoe and Marv were the 'shifters' since they tried to dazzle fans with a magical slight of hand...

Edited by Lurker

Curious how you see making the team weaker (the premise of this statement, I presume) better for Buddy? If anything, I see it as the opposite...that Nix has big enough balls to make the hard decisions to dump the past mediocrity, even if it negatively affects the team's short-term results, in order to build a solid long-term foundation.

If anything, Donahoe and Marv were the 'shifters' since they tried to dazzle fans with a magical slight of hand...

Nix had better be right, or those big balls of his are going into the vice grip. So far, his decision making on the OL and at WR aren't looking good.

Still, any time the Bills drop or trade a high priced player once could think that it's engineered by someone above the GM level for a financial reason. True or not, the reputation of the organization makes it a possibility.

Edited by BillsVet

The helmet color and old man pushing a wheel barrel of cash immediately made me think of Ralph and the Bills. The one thing I disagree with is the story portrayed Trent Edwards a salary dump, incorrect, he was a true trash dump.

Image is EVERYTHING sometimes, and whether you see the Evans trade a different way,. agents, GM's and players WILL see it the way it was described in the article.

Wouldn't want to stand in the way of all the progress being made here. Maybe tomorrow you can tackle climate change, shift some paradigms, lower the glass cieling or maybe save some whales?

OK, so if Evans was traded just so they could save money, why did they give him a $1.5m bonus days just a few days before?

Apologizing for Ralph has nothing to do with it. There is a legitimate reason to question the idea that Evans was traded simply for money reasons.

Just like there were legitimate reasons, other than money, for the departures of Lynch, Whitner, and Maybin. Seems the Bills wasted a ton of money on Maybin actually.

GO BILLS!!!

The Chiefs have nearly $33 million of unused cap space. The Bucs, Jaguars, Bengals, Bills, Broncos and Browns have at least $20 million each. Another six teams have at least $10 million unused.

so make sure yuo point the finger at the rest of the teams that are obviously CHEAP ASSES

While the draft is clearly their primary focus, there will be anywhere from 7-9 opening day starters on this team that were free agent acquisitions by Nix. See my post three above yours.

I respectfully disagree on just about all points. Please list all of the NFL teams (besides Philly) who have rosters full of "top talent" free agents in their prime. The draft is the key. My point is that Nix has gone out and added veteran starters where needed while drafting what he hopes is his foundation. And although the OL is a huge and legitimate concern, it hasn't been "ignored" unless one remains hung up on not drafting guys in the first couple of rounds the last two years. They went after Clabo and he chose to remain in Atlanta. You can't win 'em all, and it doesn't set a good precedent to vastly overpay a RT.

The Spiller pick remains questionable. Aside from that, however, how can one argue with the strategy of what has been done? I guarantee Nix/Gailey have a longer leash than two seasons.

eball,

My point was that for a franchise picking in the top 10, and hopes the draft as its way to success, needs to hit on its draft picks and have them contribute in their rookie season. Spiller, Troupe and Carrington hardly saw the field and that too on a lousy 4-12 team that started 0-8. I believe that just does not cut it for the draft success. And in their second season, none of these guys are likely to be starters on opening day @ their positions. The good teams get good value from their top picks and not have them as bench warmers.