OK....here is a negative I have about Spiller and you

I think that CJ has all world potential....and I dont buy that he isn't big enough to play in the NFL....Thurman did it for years.

BUT

One thing I am still waiting to see is CJ make somebody miss even if its in the open field.....or run THROUGH a arm tackle.

He did it last year in preseason ONE time.....I still remember the run and I still have visions of him doing that on a regular basis this year.....

But since then.....NADA.

I am rooting for you though CJ

Spiller is fine. There are plenty of guys his size in the league and at RB too. I could put on 10lbs and be better off though. 200-210 is fine. If he's slightly below that...whatever.

Edited by dayman

I know Gailey is on record for saying he had diminished role in his rookie season, because of his ability to block and pick up the blitz...

Spiller has made it his personal goal this offseason to hit the weight room and work on blocking/blitz pickup this year...

My bro saw him lineup and take blitz assignments last week...

Hopefully, this pushes him into the player we want him to be!

The thing that concerns me with Spiller is the label that he isn't intelligent. I know some will say it doesn't take intelligence to run, but I'm willing to wager most smaller backs need to have a mental edge. Brandon Jacobs, Christian Okoye and the big bruiser types are one-dimensional downhill runners and don't need to or are asked to do as much as a small back. I think Fred Jackson is more versatile and can be the lead guy for the next 2-3 seasons if he stays healthy.

I once thought I had an epiphany that CJ as an outside runner was struggling because the poor tackles failed to seal the corner and allow him to get into space. But the elusiveness just didn't materialize even when he was one on one, save that preseason Whiiifff by Bethea we all remember.

Also his struggles running inside must have given the defense an edge knowing they only need to contain the outside run..

I really hope he at least contributes at the level of the prior first round RB picks. I'd like to see the kid suceed as he seems like a good dude and is nearly legendary at Clemson...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think the comparison for him is Jamaal Charles - it fits in a lot of ways. I hope he keeps progressing, we will need him this year if we want a chance to make some noise in the playoff hunt.

Great comparison IMO.

I think that CJ has all world potential....and I dont buy that he isn't big enough to play in the NFL....Thurman did it for years.

BUT

One thing I am still waiting to see is CJ make somebody miss even if its in the open field.....or run THROUGH a arm tackle.

He did it last year in preseason ONE time.....I still remember the run and I still have visions of him doing that on a regular basis this year.....

But since then.....NADA.

I am rooting for you though CJ

Was a horrible pick as we didn't need him and was NOT the best player available. Nix seemed a little rusty on his first draft, this years was a lot better, still dont know why they didn't address the offense that year as they redid the D this year.

He's bigger than Danny Woodhead.

rather have him , at least he is productive.

Was a horrible pick as we didn't need him and was NOT the best player available. Nix seemed a little rusty on his first draft, this years was a lot better, still dont know why they didn't address the offense that year as they redid the D this year.

rather have him , at least he is productive.

You mean because Spiller wouldn't look completely different in the Patriots' offense? :lol:

Oh, he's big enough to play in the NFL. Guys a lot smaller than him have lit it up.... Lionel James, Leon Washington.... What we hvae here with Spiller is Ronnie Harmon Jr. He likes the dges and catching the ball out of the backfield. But asking him to hit the hole up the middle???? From what I've seen, he looks too much like a kitty to to that. I'll admit though, I was OK with the Bills selecting him at #9 last year. However, I thought he was more like Ladanian Tomlinson. Man, was I way wrong. Running back is the only position that you can plug in a rookie and make it work. Usually, running backs drafted that high have a pretty decent rookie season, and if they don't, they ain't ever gonna get much better.

Come on CJ, make me eat my words.

Oh, he's big enough to play in the NFL. Guys a lot smaller than him have lit it up.... Lionel James, Leon Washington.... What we hvae here with Spiller is Ronnie Harmon Jr. He likes the dges and catching the ball out of the backfield. But asking him to hit the hole up the middle???? From what I've seen, he looks too much like a kitty to to that. I'll admit though, I was OK with the Bills selecting him at #9 last year. However, I thought he was more like Ladanian Tomlinson. Man, was I way wrong. Running back is the only position that you can plug in a rookie and make it work. Usually, running backs drafted that high have a pretty decent rookie season, and if they don't, they ain't ever gonna get much better.

Come on CJ, make me eat my words.

"Usually, running backs drafted that high have a pretty decent rookie season, and if they don't, they ain't ever gonna get much better."

Let's hope that's not true, we all want to see him develop, and I would say he needs to take a huge step forward this year or he may slowly but surely become the Arron Maybin of the Chan and Buddy era. :oops:

Like I said, I certainly hope NOT!

Somehow I think it takes some players even RBs a couple or few years to get the NFL game, CJ improved his running as the season went on last year. I think he needs more time, he gets 3 years at least.

Running backs tend to have the quickest adjustments. This is why, unless a player is a superstar, you don't want to waste a #9 on a running back, let alone a gadget player.

Trust me, if Spiller was selected in round 6 (which was about right for his production), he wouldn't have a 3 year window.