Billls open to trading Evans

It has no bearing on this team whether you or me or anyone considers SJ #1 or LE #1 if they are both on the field as starters. The numbers are mythical and mean nothing. If SJ is #1 then Evans makes a great #2, and vice versa. SJ will get more passes because he is a better route runner, and has slightly better hands and ball skills (although he drops more, too) and Fitz doesn't have time to look downfield as much to Evans. But they are a solid 1-2 punch. SJ and Parrish, not so much.

I can definitely agree with this take, especially the 1-2 punch part, pretty nice last year. :beer: Edited by Rico

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Add him to the list of names you will recognize as playing very well for other teams after they left Buffalo.

:censored:

Yup--remember who he's had throwing him the ball the last few years when you consider his numbers. I've heard several GM-types (including Mike Lombardi) say that Lee is the "real deal" and draws lots of coverage that opens up everyone else. Looks like we'll find out the hard way. My prediction--if he goes to a team with a good O, he'll catch 60-70 balls, 7-8 TDs and about 1000 yards. Stevie J, meanwhile, will see his numbers drop 20-30%......

If this were any other team, people would be talking about the shrewd move to deal an aging veteran near the end of his contract.

There are teams interested in him. I unfortunately dont see him going for better than a 4th, but its better than the nothing we would get in two years. People act like we're loaded to make a serious playoff run in our division this year. Cmon.

Lets see how this plays out.

You do realize that two years of Lee Evans' production is, statistically speaking, much more valuable than the career production of the average 4th round pick?

Great--we can pick another Shawn Nelson perhaps?

Edited by MattM

This makes no sense to me, and we all know that the Bills will not use the money saved to pursue some free agents. It is ridiculous that the only free agent that we signed other than to fill a hole from a departing free agent was Smith. We have the worst front office in football.

If this were any other team, people would be talking about the shrewd move to deal an aging veteran near the end of his contract.

There are teams interested in him. I unfortunately dont see him going for better than a 4th, but its better than the nothing we would get in two years. People act like we're loaded to make a serious playoff run in our division this year. Cmon.

Lets see how this plays out.

wrong. you can't compare the bills to "any other team" because this team has sucked for over a decade. every offseason, hoards of dipsh!ts actually buy into this team taking the next step, until 2 months later it's back to square one. now, when most of us can actually get on board with a team that is starting to stockpile some talent, we're about to trade our offensive captain and #1B receiver? and we're supposed to be moving forward?? there is no one that can step in and fill lee's shoes. it's an insult to say otherwise. i feel back for stevie - he better used to triple teams.

This makes no sense to me, and we all know that the Bills will not use the money saved to pursue some free agents. It is ridiculous that the only free agent that we signed other than to fill a hole from a departing free agent was Smith. We have the worst front office in football.

Nice to see that wasn't lost on everyone. We signed effectively no one. RT need--nope. TE need--nope. Depth--nope. Zero, zip, zilch, nada, in what was the biggest offseason in years due to the logjam last offseason because of the uncapped year's rules. What a joke....

Perhaps the people arguing that Evans isn't worth his contract aren't the same people who are against trading him now. If people actually are contradicting themselves then you have a good point but I don't see it.

Maybe you are right but I do my remember many people syicking up for evans when he was being bashed

I don't think Evans goes to the Cardinals. The Cardinals would be very short on draft picks if they parted with even more for Evans. They'd really be mortgaging the future.

I like Lee Evans....but he is replaceable. I don't think defenses game plan for him the way some fans think they do.

I don't think Evans goes to the Cardinals. The Cardinals would be very short on draft picks if they parted with even more for Evans. They'd really be mortgaging the future.

I like Lee Evans....but he is replaceable. I don't think defenses game plan for him the way some fans think they do.

Not if they give us a 5th, like I suspect they will, since this may be more about money than the benefit of the team, I suspect....

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/11/evans-rumors-persist/

Not like Nix hasn't been full of crap before.. "we need to resign our younger talented players....and by the way I just let Poz walk."

But it's interesting that in the above article he seems to think that unless someone is offering something awfully good, Lee isn't going anywhere. However, his idea of something that will "improve our football team" remains to be seen.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/11/evans-rumors-persist/

Not like Nix hasn't been full of crap before.. "we need to resign our younger talented players....and by the way I just let Poz walk."

If Poz plays the way he has against the Pats back ups tonight all season long Jax might be asking for a refund.

Edited by Erik

This deal makes no sense. With a nice qb Evans would tear it up. Stevie was the go to guy last year cause he and Fitzy developed chemistry on that 2nd offense. Guys like Roosevelt, Nelson, Roscoe are guys that are available late in drafts and on practice squads all over. Guys like Lee are available but not this late in the game...if the front office wanted to do something it should have been done weeks ago and to do something now wouldn't be smart. Stevie needs a guy across from him that can draw a double coverage(lee still has the speed to do that) and open him up. Its just too late in the game to make this move.

The one thing that makes me nervous about this all being true is listening to Gailey and Nix's interviews from this afternoon. They were very passive and non-committal when asked about Evans.... that's not the mindset of people convinced they need him on the team. I think Evans opens up the field more than he gets credit for. I don't think he is a $9 million dollar receiver, but I don't think he's ready for the scrap heap either.

They are going to try to go with Buster I think

Buster's audition must have gone well. If Evans goes, you need a couple of deep threats, so it's Buster and Easely as the deep threats, Parrish and Nelson as the slot guys, and Stevie and Namaan as the possession guys. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts philosophy.

Maybe it's also a break with the past loser mentality too...?

If he is traded for a pick, which is what is being rumored, it is a perfect example of the ineptitude of the front office. Why wasn't he traded pre-draft then? Nothing has changed since then - Lee hasn't been rumored to have lost a step or been accused of showing up to camp out of shape.

The point being that by trading him now for a draft pick costs the team a full year with no player resulting from that transaction on the roster. By picking up the extra pick this year the player they would have received would be on the roster, going through the growing pains, and much closer to making a real impact next year.

Exactly! Did they just wake up today and realize they wanted a draft pick for him? The draft was months ago!