Do we really need Lee Evans?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I'd get rid of Evans I'd like to see him with a QB who's not running for his life.

Exactly. Put him on the Patriots and he has 3 or 4 Pro Bowls under his belt by now. Brady would love to throw to him and his speed.

Fitz only played 13 games and threw for 3,000 yards.Johnson caught for over a thousand yards.Lee isn't going to get better.

When you have weapons like Lee Evans it is the coaches responsibility to design an offense to get your playmakers the ball. They didn't that last year. Period. Evans is still clearly the best WR on this team, if he didn't take all the double teams, Stevie wouldn't have been open enough to lead the league in drops like he did.

Exactly. Put him on the Patriots and he has 3 or 4 Pro Bowls under his belt by now. Brady would love to throw to him and his speed.

When you have weapons like Lee Evans it is the coaches responsibility to design an offense to get your playmakers the ball. They didn't that last year. Period. Evans is still clearly the best WR on this team, if he didn't take all the double teams, Stevie wouldn't have been open enough to lead the league in drops like he did.

You lead the league in drops when the ball is thrown to you alot.Ask that horrible soon to be Hall Of Fame receiver T.O.LOL. And i'm sure Brady would love to get Lee and get rid of Wes Welker.LMAO.

Is the fact that none of our 2010 draft picks made any impact their fault or the previous GM's?Or what about holding on to Lynch when it came out that teams offered more and were turned down by the Bills.They took advantage of the Bills incompetence and got Lynch for next to nothing.Or what about starting Trent?Was that their fault.We all knew Fitz was better.

Something you have to understand about building a team, is that initially, the picks won't look good. As the team compiles talent, everyone will begin to look better. We still may be two years away- the mess that was made is that bad. Lee Evans will never be Michael Irvin or Jerry Rice, but shouldn't be cut because he isn't elite- he is a very good football player. We are better with him.

I'm disappointed in Lee's lack of production last season too, but there are not 3 better receivers on the roster. There aren't 2 better receivers, and whether there is 1 better receiver on the roster is very debatable. Darrel Revis has been on record that Lee is the toughest assignment he has had in the NFL. Revis has lined up against some big names too. I think that compliment speaks volumes. I do wonder if Lee hasn't subconsciously lost his edge after years of playing on less than inspiring offensive units. Trent may have taken the wind out of Lee's sails. Try lining up for 3 years in the most predictable offense in the NFL, knowing your QB can't see anything more than 3 yards downfield.

Fitz has stated a few times that his chemistry with Stevie is largely a product of the time they spent running the second team and preseason offense together. Hopefully, now that Fitz is getting all the first team reps he can develop similar chemistry with Evans. If we can get Lee engaged again, and with Johnson continuing to develop, our WRs could pose some serious matchup problems to opposing secondaries.

I for one (and I might be the only one) believe that Evans is expendable. He hasn't been relevant since Losman left and the only reason why he was good the. Was because he's the only player JPbever threw it to. I'd rather see Johnsn start opposite Easley/Smith/Nelson to be honest. Give the you g guys a chance, we've had Evans on this team for years and it hasn't ever worked enough to make a difference. I agree OP. I'd take a 4th for him if you could get that much at this point but I doubt it. Ocho only got a 5th and he could run circles around Lee.

expendable is a long ways from 'fourth best receiver' behind a guy that has yet to not be injured.

You lead the league in drops when the ball is thrown to you alot.Ask that horrible soon to be Hall Of Fame receiver T.O.LOL. And i'm sure Brady would love to get Lee and get rid of Wes Welker.LMAO.

He led the league in percentage of drops, which doesn't matter how many balls were thrown your way, it is a percentage. So that sorry excuse for Stone Hands Johnson doesn't fly in this conversation. If Evans went to the Pats, he wouldn't be replacing Welker, they are two different types of receivers, do you ever watch football? LMAO!

I'm disappointed in Lee's lack of production last season too, but there are not 3 better receivers on the roster. There aren't 2 better receivers, and whether there is 1 better receiver on the roster is very debatable. Darrel Revis has been on record that Lee is the toughest assignment he has had in the NFL. Revis has lined up against some big names too. I think that compliment speaks volumes. I do wonder if Lee hasn't subconsciously lost his edge after years of playing on less than inspiring offensive units. Trent may have taken the wind out of Lee's sails. Try lining up for 3 years in the most predictable offense in the NFL, knowing your QB can't see anything more than 3 yards downfield.

Fitz has stated a few times that his chemistry with Stevie is largely a product of the time they spent running the second team and preseason offense together. Hopefully, now that Fitz is getting all the first team reps he can develop similar chemistry with Evans. If we can get Lee engaged again, and with Johnson continuing to develop, our WRs could pose some serious matchup problems to opposing secondaries.

When every team puts their top corner on one receiver, that receiver is obviously the best on the team and the one that the opponent fears the most.

Edited by billsfreak

Do we really need Fred Jackson? Kyle Williams? Eric Wood? Of course you want to keep your best players. Silly question.

I love those three players.Even though Jackson is our best offensive player his salary is 1/5 that of Evans.I'd keep jackson,wood and williams.They perform.

Edited by playboy reese 2.0

Nobody takes him serious as a deep threat anymore.Johnson is our deep threat.Evans isn't fast anymore.DB's just jam him up.Forget speed, height and size are worth more.Ask every other NFL team that's a contender.And if Fitz isn't a deep ball guy how could evans be money.If evans ran a 4 flat we still couldn't get him the ball.

I am sorry I am trying to listen to you but I am too busy watching the replays where I see Lee Evans wide open down the field but couldnt get him the ball as Fitz had 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball

I love those three players.Even though Jackson is our best offensive player his salary is 1/5 that of Evans.I'd keep jackson,wood and williams.They perform.

Knowing players salaries has really deceased enjoyment of the game.......I guess it doesn't matter if he makes you a better player, if you think he is overpaid....

He led the league in percentage of drops, which doesn't matter how many balls were thrown your way, it is a percentage. So that sorry excuse for Stone Hands Johnson doesn't fly in this conversation. If Evans went to the Pats, he wouldn't be replacing Welker, they are two different types of receivers, do you ever watch football? LMAO!

When every team puts their top corner on one receiver, that receiver is obviously the best on the team and the one that the opponent fears the most.

Same height and weight.And of course they're different that's my point, Welker makes a huge difference.And Welker is faster than Lee.Lee is one dimensional.Welker is a God send to a QB.

Ok,where are his recs and yards.T.O. was supposed to be Robin and ended up being Batman.I guess evans is running past everyone and wide open,or getting past all of the jams from the huge DB's with his enormous 5"9 frame and the QB's aren't getting him the ball.The proof is in the pudding.You sure you don't work for the Bills front office.

Last year, the reason that "Joker" Stevie was so open was he was seeing alot of single coverage while Lee was seeing the double coverage. This year that may reverse itself but there is no reason to get rid of Lee just yet... And if anyone noticed our "new phenom" - according to some, (Easley) seems to be injured already - our so called #2 receiver - according to some... a guy who has yet to do ANYTHING.....

Same height and weight.And of course they're different that's my point, Welker makes a huge difference.And Welker is faster than Lee.Lee is one dimensional.Welker is a God send to a QB.

Welker is quicker, but I am not sure about faster. He also has a better offensive line, QB and has had a better system. Evans would put up big numbers if he played in Boston

Last year, the reason that "Joker" Stevie was so open was he was seeing alot of single coverage while Lee was seeing the double coverage. This year that may reverse itself but there is no reason to get rid of Lee just yet... And if anyone noticed our "new phenom" - according to some, (Easley) seems to be injured already - our so called #2 receiver - according to some... a guy who has yet to do ANYTHING.....

Lol.I agree with you on easley 100 percent.But following your logic Lee was only good because moulds caught all the double teams.

The other day Andre Reed, who still follows the Bills very closely, and knows a thing or two about receiving, said Lee Evans is clearly the BIlls #1 WR.

We clearly need him. He's the only one that has a reputation that concerns other safeties, the only one who can consistently get deep and open up the field for other players. Stevie gets open a lot, and I love the guy now, but he doesn't open up the field for other players.

This was a much better discussion when # 83 had trade value. After not cracking top 50 for wr production for consecutive years, there is more to lose than gain in any trade and pointless letting him walk. Even if he were surpassed by a Johnson- possible, Parrish- situationally, smith-Gadget guy, Easley-total unknown, nelson-maybe someday, he is not losing a roster spot to naamen, jones or Hubbard

Incidentally, after hearing Fitz say he can hit him with his eyes closed it probably speaks to route running acumen that he can pass on to the very young remaining wr Corp.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Thank you.You seem like one of the only guys on here who actually understands football.This small town mentality around here is killing me.

The thing is, I really like Lee. I've met him many times. Had conversations with him and he is a really good guy. From a football standpoint however, he is just not that good. His only trick is speed and at the wrong side of 30, he doesn't really have that anymore. At least not enough to compensate for his "shortcomings". He's small and short for an NFL WR let alone a starting WR or being advertised as a #1.

I have to look at the attributes of true #1 WR in this league and Lee Only has the speed factor down.

1. Physically overpowering- Andre Johnson, Rodd White, Larry Fitzgerald, T.O.

2. Quickess- Wes Welker, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith

3. Ability to beat double coverage- Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss

4. Ability to go up and get the ball- OchoCinco, TJ Houshmanzada, Plaxico Burress

5. Blocking ability- Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin

the only thing I'd really give Evans, like I said is speed. And at his age it's only downhill from here on out. We've seen the best production we will ever see out of Evans. Mark it down with a perminant Sharpie.