Bills sitting on their hands in Free Agency!!!!

Arthur Blank had the best line I've ever heard in regards to free agency yesterday. He said "you have to be carefull, free agency can be like going to the grocery store when you're hungry. Sometimes that makes you overpay and buy things you don't need."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...

That's fine, and no question Woody could be right...But Nix/Gailey and The Bills are banking on young players like CJ, Moats, Troupe, Carrington, Dareus, Stevie, Woody, Sheppard, Williams, etc. to take this Team to the next level towards being competitive...If Nix/Gailey are wrong then...well...The Bills will be slaughtered in this Division...If they are right then The Jets and NE are going to have a much tougher time than anyone thinks...We'll see... B-)

Yeah, the worst that will happen is that we get Luck in the draft next year! We can't lose! wallbash.gif

I don't have much faith in this front office, and even if I did, Ralphy has a tight fist around his wallet anyway. After so many years of losing, and being known as one of the tightest and worst franchises in the NFL, alot of top level talent doesn't want to come here.

The Bills may or may not have a reputation for being tight. But it doesn't make a difference. When someone like Clabo receives an offer for $5 million a year, he doesn't care about the reputation. He'll assess his offer on its own merits. The Bills were not tight with Flo or Smith or Thigpen. Two of these signings addressed important needs. The other gives us a playmaker. Like everyone else, I'm still hoping to see some OL help come via free agency as well.

You are probably right that the Bills' losing record discourages some FAs. Others see the Bills as a franchise now moving in the right direction. Thankfully, not everyone thinks as lowly of Ralph and One Bills Drive as you do.

From Damien Woody's tweet:

"Looks like the AFC East is gonna be tough....my condolences goes [sic] out to the #Bills for being innocent bystanders"

Laughingstock.

So manly of Woody… taking a cheap shot at the Bills less than a week after retiring from the NFL.

Arthur Blank had the best line I've ever heard in regards to free agency yesterday. He said "you have to be carefull, free agency can be like going to the grocery store when you're hungry. Sometimes that makes you overpay and buy things you don't need."

Perfect.

We wanted to re-sign Pos but he took an offer that was dollar for dollar, with a team that plays a scheme he wants to play in. He gets to live in Florida (0% state income tax vs 10% state income tax for wealthy New Yorkers).

We re-signed Drayton Florence who several teams were interested in.

We signed Brad Smith who is an underexploited and elite talent for good value.

We lost out on Tyson Clabo even though our offer was better… he took the "hometown discount" to stay with his playoff caliber team and probably used the Bills to drive his price up.

We made a fair offer to Kevin Burnett who took Miami's offer… (0% vs 10% state income tax), South Beach vs Buffalo, etc. He also probably used the Bills and the Bills refused to get into a bidding war with Miami. The Bills had their price and stuck with it.

Remember in years past when people were crying about the Bills failure to sign Pisa Tinoisamoa, Freddy Keiaho, and Jimmy Kennedy? Yeah… real difference makers that group.

Bottom line IMO, the Bills have tried hard but have refused to overpay players. They are being aggressive but disciplined and are sticking to their market values. They are avoiding the pitfalls of Derrick Dockery/Langston Walker signings… desperation signings.

As many others have pointed out, the Bills will be able to attract legit free agent interest when they become a better team.

In the meantime, no one wants to come play for a 4-12 team in a cold weather city with high income taxes and mediocre nightlife.

Just my opinion and didn't mean to interrupt all the crying and self-pity.

My condolences go to any Bills fans who really think this team is a playoff team...AT best, we are the 3rd best team in the division...This team needs another draft and 2012 Free Agency in order to be considered "maybe" a playoff team...

I don't think anyone thinks that at this point. We're 8-8 at the absolute best if we go out and sign a minimum of two starters at important positions in free agency. And as of right now that doesn't seem likely.

Edited by bills1960

I'm watching the rest of the division sign big name free agents to improve the clubs!! Meanwhile the Bills sign Brad Smith. Big deal.That'll make em Division winners!!! This team has obvious needs and the Bills are sitting on their hands again!!!! Woeful!!!!!

Cellar Dwellars again!!!

Who is out there that will make them division winners?? The Patriots and the Jets are signing big name guys because they have a solid foundation built and they are looking to win now. The Patriots know that they need to get every big player they can while they have Brady because when hes gone they are back to mediocrity. The Bills are still sorting through the rubble to build a solid foundation and see what talent they have and find out what they have. Yes its frustrating but signing free agents yes makes us better but 7-9 better, while building through the draft takes a chance on becoming great. Look at the playoff teams and where there QBs where takem

Jets- Sanchez -5th overall

Colts- manning- #1 overall

Baltimore- Flacco-18th overall from a D2 school

New England- Brady found on a fluke

Pittsburg-Roethlisburger- 11th overall from small Miami Ohio

New Orleans-Brees- 2nd round took 5 years to develop, was a risky sign with a shoulder injury

Seattle-Hasselback- traded for a 1st round #17 and a 7th

greenbay -Rodgers-24th overall- sat behind favre for a long time

Philidelphia-Vick-1st overall

Atlanta-Ryan-3rd overall

Chicago-Cutler-11th overall pick by Denver also using a 2nd and a 3rd to move up to get him then Chicago traded the farm to get him

So unless we wait for a fluke, have 5 years to wait for a player to develop, have a Brett Favre to sit behind, get lucky on a D2 guy, trade the farm, or score a hasselbach in the late first round. But then considering, a fluke comes once in a millennium, nobody is going to want to wait another five years to develop, we dont have a Brett Favre, dont have a strong supporting cast for D2 guy, Cutler isnt worth trading the farm for, hasselbach is a solid qb but not great, the best odds for landing a great QB and a franchise player is in the top of the draft and your not going to get there by signing free agents right now.

My condolences go to any Bills fans who really think this team is a playoff team...AT best, we are the 3rd best team in the division...This team needs another draft and 2012 Free Agency in order to be considered "maybe" a playoff team...

The would be year 3 of the 3 year plan to rebuild this team...Rome wasn't built in a day. My patience has been sorely tested, just like the rest of you, but we are going in the right direction now and I am willing to give this crew the three years they needed to turn this thing around.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THE BILLS DIDN'T SIGN THE GUY I WANTED THEM TO SIGN. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THE BILLS DIDN'T SIGN THE TOP FREE AGENT AT EVERY POSITION OF NEED. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THEY SIGNED BRAD SMITH.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THIS FRONT OFFICE BLOWS FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO CONVINCE A 30 YEAR OLD RT TO LEAVE HIS SUPER BOWL CONTENDING TEAM TO PLAY IN BUFFALO. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WE HAVEN'T SIGNED ZACK MILLER YET SO IT OBVIOUSLY MEANS NIX HAS NO IDEA ABOUT THE TE POSITION. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Artie Lang? Is that you?

They have tried but very few top players want to come here. The FO is not sitting on their hands.

That's exactly what they want you to think. Going around low-balling players then going 'O darn, we tried... buy season tickets', that doesn't count to me.

Whats the saying...? "Don't tell me about the labor pains, show me the baby"

I will believe they are trying to sign quality FAs when they sign a quality FA.

looks like zack miller will be on his way to the phins as well. lose again.

i dont get why people are defending this front office so far thru free agency they have done little to nothing. not many of us expected them to sign the top free agents but a chance to fill holes and get some solid starters and leaders in here and they choose 20 UDFA. stop drinking the koolaid. they are serving dogpoop sandwiches up by the footlong.

So manly of Woody… taking a cheap shot at the Bills less than a week after retiring from the NFL.

Perfect.

We wanted to re-sign Pos but he took an offer that was dollar for dollar, with a team that plays a scheme he wants to play in. He gets to live in Florida (0% state income tax vs 10% state income tax for wealthy New Yorkers).

We re-signed Drayton Florence who several teams were interested in.

We signed Brad Smith who is an underexploited and elite talent for good value.

We lost out on Tyson Clabo even though our offer was better… he took the "hometown discount" to stay with his playoff caliber team and probably used the Bills to drive his price up.

Goo

We made a fair offer to Kevin Burnett who took Miami's offer… (0% vs 10% state income tax), South Beach vs Buffalo, etc. He also probably used the Bills and the Bills refused to get into a bidding war with Miami. The Bills had their price and stuck with it.

Remember in years past when people were crying about the Bills failure to sign Pisa Tinoisamoa, Freddy Keiaho, and Jimmy Kennedy? Yeah… real difference makers that group.

Bottom line IMO, the Bills have tried hard but have refused to overpay players. They are being aggressive but disciplined and are sticking to their market values. They are avoiding the pitfalls of Derrick Dockery/Langston Walker signings… desperation signings.

As many others have pointed out, the Bills will be able to attract legit free agent interest when they become a better team.

In the meantime, no one wants to come play for a 4-12 team in a cold weather city with high income taxes and mediocre nightlife.

Just my opinion and didn't mean to interrupt all the crying and self-pity.

Good post - made a lot of sense - we don't want to overpay like the Walker signing and who really wants Ochocinco anyway. I think we all know deep down that we have at least another year to rebuild. I don't mind taking idiots like TO for a 1 year deal - but I think Gailey/Nix have made some pretty good picks and tried to get value where they could. Buffalo is not a place many want to come to - so they have to come for the team - we have to keep building

I'm watching the rest of the division sign big name free agents to improve the clubs!! Meanwhile the Bills sign Brad Smith. Big deal.That'll make em Division winners!!! This team has obvious needs and the Bills are sitting on their hands again!!!! Woeful!!!!!

Cellar Dwellars again!!!

4th place is not that bad in our division and half the fans here seem satisfied with status quo so why would they spend money

There's only so many born again Christians like Brad Smith willing to put up with Buffalo's lack of nightlife

"so many born again Christians" . . . really? was that necessary? and what does it have to do with anything?

Cellar Dwellars again!!!

One hesitates to think what you're doing with your hands.

That's exactly what they want you to think. Going around low-balling players then going 'O darn, we tried... buy season tickets', that doesn't count to me.

Whats the saying...? "Don't tell me about the labor pains, show me the baby"

I will believe they are trying to sign quality FAs when they sign a quality FA.

Ask, and ye shall receive.