Buddy Nix on WGR550 this morning....

Never heard a more counterproductive interview...

When asked about Poz: It wasn't the money.

When asked about perception about Buffalo: Ignored the question about others, laughed, said he wouldn't consider that personally.

When asked about adding through FA: He feels people internally can step up to replace Poz.

I actually stopped listening cause the guy just sounded like he didn't care, and while I wouldn't expect him to go into his "plans" going forward...The interview itself was kind of infuriating.

It's on Wgr550.com if you wanna listen.

Maybe he was just cranky, having to wake up early and all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not like he had a choice. he's was hired to be a yes-man and he's going to deliver. just like darcy under golisano.

we're going to find out if he was the personnel genius some here seem to think he is, but in the meantime, he's done what was expected of hom by ralph and the beancounters.

what really cracks me up about the whole situation is that some folks seem surprised.

Yep. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but apparently he settled for Thigpen. Lombardi is reporting that the Bills were heavy after Tavaris Jackson, lost out, as always, and Thigpen was plan B. I like Thigpen, only because he was good with Gailey.,

I don't, however, like the fact that our GM is already 0-2.

Not defending the Bills, but you can't say we "lost out" on Tavaris Jackson. He went to a place where he's gonna get a shot to win the starting job. Hard to fault him for taking that opportunity over a place where he'd be the backup.

I've said it before many times...

NOTHING will change until Wilson, Overdorf & Littman are no longer associated with the Bills. There is no commitment to winning when looking at the front office, the coaching staff or the players.

I agree w/ every statement except the coaching staff. Gailey seems to be the only one with any football sense. Too bad he's stuck with Dumb and Dumber (Nix and Ralph).

here's the link to the interview:

http://www.wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5399306

The interview was not very illuminating. Nix was extremely vanilla - unwilling to say anything detailed or insightful.

But let's be fair to Buddy. Nix inherited a team without any great players. He believes primarily in building through the draft, like some good teams do. Building through the draft takes time. It seems to me, it's still too early to judge how this is going.

And I'm willing to give him time. I don't see a "laissez faire" attitude. He's been very clear that anything less than a Super Bowl is a failure. He's hot to win. Let's wait to see if he's capable. Losing Poz is not evidence of a sinking ship.

Maybe he was just cranky, having to wake up early and all.

The dude is super old. By this time of the day he was already eating lunch. Maybe that's why he was cranky...they interrupted his lunch.

I agree w/ every statement except the coaching staff. Gailey seems to be the only one with any football sense. Too bad he's stuck with Dumb and Dumber (Nix and Ralph).

Except for bringing in Wannestedt(who is a 4-3 guy) this year as an assistant to the DC(who is a 3-4 guy), the assistants hired by Gailey were about uninspiring as possibly could be. Clearly a case where $$$ played a big role in compiling his staff.

Edited by LabattBlue

Except for bringing in Wannestedt(who is a 4-3 guy) this year as an assistant to the DC(who is a 3-4 guy), the assistants hired by Gailey were about uninspiring as possibly could be. Clearly a case where $$$ played a big role in compiling his staff.

They are running a hybrid this year and mixing it up, so they need both types of coaches. Plus, Wanny can teach our current DC the basics of being a DC, because he is totally lost out there. Also, the $$ is not Gailey's fault. That goes back to Ralph being cheap.

Edited by RyanC883

They are running a hybrid this year and mixing it up, so they need both types of coaches. Plus, Wanny can teach our current DC the basics of being a DC, because he is totally lost out there. Also, the $$ is not Gailey's fault. That goes back to Ralph being cheap.

Which goes back to my point. Nothing will change until Wilson, Overdorf & Littman are gone. Also, you agree with me about the coaching staff by stating that our current DC is "lost".

I think we'll be fine as long as Poz isn't replaced by someone with a high motor.... And also, players that bring their lunch pail to work with them have never really panned out for us. Wasn't Tim Anderson the last lunch pail carrier for us?

I'm pretty sure Kyle Williams was/is.

Yeah, but apparently he settled for Thigpen. Lombardi is reporting that the Bills were heavy after Tavaris Jackson, lost out, as always, and Thigpen was plan B. I like Thigpen, only because he was good with Gailey.,

I don't, however, like the fact that our GM is already 0-2.

In reality, the Bills didn't "lose out" on Jackson.

you forgot the botched lynch trade. and the failure to attain a franchise quarterback

The "botched" was debunked last year. And true, it's real easy to obtain a franchise QB.

Here's the question I wished they would have asked Buddy: If you are so happy with the ILBs you already have under contract, why were you willing to spend $40 million to add another one?

This is a ridiculous question. It's obvious now that Bills wanted to keep Poz, but couldn't negotiate with him during the lockout. They also didn't have an exclusive negotiating period after the lockout ended. From all accounts, Bills were set to pay a high market rate to retain Poz, indicating that they thought he would still be a key player for htem. He elected to go south for a better 4-3 opportunity.

That kind of ties what Nix can say about the rest of the roster. What do you expect him to say, "Now that Poz is gone, the rest of the LBs suck?"

Nix seems obsessed with telling people that he thinks the Bills' no-name players are a lot better than the media/fans think. But they keep losing games and looking bad doing it. Buddy, maybe it's you. Maybe your evaluations are trending a little on the high side. Think about it.

Regarding Wilson/Overdorf/Littman, I'm very curious to see 1.) How the Bills get to the salary floor, and 2.) How close to the floor they wind up.

they hire Ralph Wilson as the 4th string QB and pay him a huge salary

I want him to say:

1. The owner has made it clear to him that the goal is going to be to reverse the decade plus record of failure to make the playoffs (I have heard no acknowldement whatsoever of the dismal record of the past decade and a commitment from the owner to take business risks in order to gain sportsman achievements .

2. I would like to here a statement of expectation they have of all players that they must reach down as deep as the can to sacrifice to achieve victory.

3. I would like to hear that the front office realizes as leaders of this team that they cannot expect to succeed in getting the individual players to make a special effort and take risks necessary to succeed UNLESS the front office is also willing to take risks.

There needs to be some reflection in how Nix sells the product that the FO and Mr. Ralph are going to lead by example and take business risks in the hope of achieving sportsman goals.

I do not think this is unreasonable for Nix to say UNLESS Mr. Ralph is actually more committed to being a good businessman than he is committed to being a good sportsman.

I am going to reserve judgment until the roster is actually set. What do you want him to say on the radio this morning? Did you want him to say "our roster sucks we need to add linebackers." Then another team knows what the Bills are targeting and we are out of luck. Or God for bid we don't sign anyone after he makes that statement and he has to talk to some of the guys we have and say " I have a ton of faith in you, blah blah blah."

IMO Buddy Nix said what he publicly should have this morning. You should always talk up the guys you have. You should never show your hand as to what your plan is.

As for Poz, no loss for me. He did a good job racking up tackles but he really had a big issue with pass coverage. Doesn't hurt my feelings that he's no longer with us. I personally don't think it makes us that much worse.

We lost with Poslusny, we can lose without him.

I think it's a pretty simple and successful philosophy: Build thru the draft. Pay your productive people and let anything less than your STARS (and maybe even them at a big number) leave. Over the past 10 years, there were time that I thought the Steelers were going to suck because they lost people like Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, Alan Faneca, Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes. But they took their supplemental 3rd and 4th round picks and stocked the team with replacements that we never heard of until they were starters (and the new cornerstones of the Steelers team).

The Bills are early on in the process. Kelvin Sheppard may be their Joey Porter. Stevie Johnson may be their Hines Ward. But to scream at the gods because you no longer have Paul Poslusny (@7M per) or didn't get Tarvaris Jackson is just plain ignorant.

We lost with Poslusny, we can lose without him.

I think it's a pretty simple and successful philosophy: Build thru the draft. Pay your productive people and let anything less than your STARS (and maybe even them at a big number) leave. Over the past 10 years, there were time that I thought the Steelers were going to suck because they lost people like Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, Alan Faneca, Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes. But they took their supplemental 3rd and 4th round picks and stocked the team with replacements that we never heard of until they were starters (and the new cornerstones of the Steelers team).

The Bills are early on in the process. Kelvin Sheppard may be their Joey Porter. Stevie Johnson may be their Hines Ward. But to scream at the gods because you no longer have Paul Poslusny (@7M per) or didn't get Tarvaris Jackson is just plain ignorant.

So where does the Kelsay signing fit into this philosophy? :blink:

Well, it was a sucky interview to endure after losing a player we were told we are targeting under the "draft, develop and resign" our own talent Buddy Nix system. But upon further review, there's really not much more meaningful he could have said. Never confuse activity with results. We just have to be patient and see how the FO responds to this. I don't think Buddy wants to go into the season with a vet coming off a major injury and two rooks at ILB. Wannstache will weigh in. Boys, let's see what he does. There is ILB talent out there and I gotta believe we're going to sign one. And if all fairness, $7 mil for Poz? Really? I'd be furious if they paid him that. Right now, I'm not furious, just uneasy. Maybe that's why I'm not a GM!