No Splashes? Why not?

MClem06

It's really incredible that Nix would say that they won't spend big money to bring someone in that we all know can upgrade our team tremendously in places of serious need. (I.E. RT Clabo or TE Miller) With the situation in hand that the Bills have to spend a whole bunch of money, why overpay mediocre players to hit that number? Let's make splashes, evidently the whole cash to the cap routine Ralph has implemented during the depression decade of the past 10 years hasn't worked. Get some players that we know they can ball. Sick of the wait for the next draft mentality when there are great options out there NOW. I was all excited to have free agency start and saying to myself, man the Bills can make some good moves here. Come to find out no splashes is the mentality. We'll be at best a 50% win team at best for the next 5 years.

VENTING.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it in the other thread and I agree. It is a special FA this year and they can pick up some decent players. I am losing some faith.... I hope that, that is unwarranted. Why would he even say it? What is the point of announcing it? Other team are going to sign some "splashes".

Big time players make big time plays. The Bills have none. Zero. And now I hear they won't aggressively pursue top tier players in free agency. Keep on sleeping when free agency begins Buddy. Keep on sleeping. This organization doesn't have a friggin' clue.

I said it in the other thread and I agree. It is a special FA this year and they can pick up some decent players. I am losing some faith.... I hope that, that is unwarranted. Why would he even say it? What is the point of announcing it? Other team are going to sign some "splashes".

I completely agree with you. This statement is the epitome of a LOSER mentality. The ole.. "we're going to do the best with what we have". How can you expect the results to change when you keep doing the same things that got us into this mess in the first place.

Why do people expect Nix to tell the media exactly what he's going to do? He's been saying for a while that he wants to build through the draft. He's been saying for a while not to expect us to go after top tier free agents. And yet, people are still surprised by this? Why not wait and see what happens before pissing and moaning about all this?

It's really incredible that Nix would say that they won't spend big money to bring someone in that we all know can upgrade our team tremendously in places of serious need. (I.E. RT Clabo or TE Miller) With the situation in hand that the Bills have to spend a whole bunch of money, why overpay mediocre players to hit that number? Let's make splashes, evidently the whole cash to the cap routine Ralph has implemented during the depression decade of the past 10 years hasn't worked. Get some players that we know they can ball. Sick of the wait for the next draft mentality when there are great options out there NOW. I was all excited to have free agency start and saying to myself, man the Bills can make some good moves here. Come to find out no splashes is the mentality. We'll be at best a 50% win team at best for the next 5 years.

VENTING.

I understand your venting but you have to agree the team WAS terrible when Buddy took over. He made it clear from Day 1 his plan was to build through the draft and only make "splashes" when he felt the team was a player or two away and that player was there for the taking. Do YOU think the Bills are at that point? And do you think keeping Poz, Stevie and Fitzpatrick is "overpaying for mediocre players"? Last year was so much of "an evaluation" year. This year seems to be focused on keeping the good players, drafting towards need and strength of the draft class (defensive line and defensive back), and not going too crazy with signing stop gap players. Now, having said that, I'd still like to see the Bills take a stab at signing Tyson Clabo. He young enough. Going after Thigpen - who is younger than Fitzy - is another not necessarily stop gap move. The Bills have the making of a really good YOUNG defense. They MAY have their franchise quarterback. They are looking decent at the WR position. Wood and Levitre are solid in the middle of the line and they THINK they have something in the two guys they signed late last season. Demetrius Bell is is merely o.k at this point.

So, if you are looking for 10 wins this season EVEN IF THEY SIGN SEVERAL HIGH PRICED free agents, I'd like to have what you are smoking. 8 wins is a max out ...maybeeeee 9?? That would still be 4 more wins (or 5) than last year. Sorry if you have dreams of better but this is how you build it up and no I disagree strongly wit hyour last sentence, " We'll be at best a 50% win team at best for the next 5 years" ( I assume you mean doing what they are currently doing - building through the draft and resigning their best players, carefully restocking the team through free agency).

Go Bills!

-RichNJoisy

I guess it really is too much to ask to wait and see what he actually does?

What if it isn't Clabo but instead is Gaither or Trueblood?

What if it isn't Zach Miller but instead is Bo Scaithe?

etc etc

He is leaving the loophole for himself in his words that if he has a player that isn't producing they will look for one that can

I'm concerned what msg this sends to potential signees. If they know that the Bills are resigned to "not make a splash", that implies that they're not really anxious to get ANY players. So, come the early stages of FA, even if it's someone we have targeted, how anxious are they going to be to sign w/ us? More than likely, they'll opt to test the mkt further & then we'll likely miss out.

I understand your venting but you have to agree the team WAS terrible when Buddy took over. He made it clear from Day 1 his plan was to build through the draft and only make "splashes" when he felt the team was a player or two away and that player was there for the taking. Do YOU think the Bills are at that point? And do you think keeping Poz, Stevie and Fitzpatrick is "overpaying for mediocre players"? Last year was so much of "an evaluation" year. This year seems to be focused on keeping the good players, drafting towards need and strength of the draft class (defensive line and defensive back), and not going too crazy with signing stop gap players. Now, having said that, I'd still like to see the Bills take a stab at signing Tyson Clabo. He young enough. Going after Thigpen - who is younger than Fitzy - is another not necessarily stop gap move. The Bills have the making of a really good YOUNG defense. They MAY have their franchise quarterback. They are looking decent at the WR position. Wood and Levitre are solid in the middle of the line and they THINK they have something in the two guys they signed late last season. Demetrius Bell is is merely o.k at this point.

So, if you are looking for 10 wins this season EVEN IF THEY SIGN SEVERAL HIGH PRICED free agents, I'd like to have what you are smoking. 8 wins is a max out ...maybeeeee 9?? That would still be 4 more wins (or 5) than last year. Sorry if you have dreams of better but this is how you build it up and no I disagree strongly wit hyour last sentence, " We'll be at best a 50% win team at best for the next 5 years" ( I assume you mean doing what they are currently doing - building through the draft and resigning their best players, carefully restocking the team through free agency).

Go Bills!

-RichNJoisy

Rich - The way Nix was putting it was there was no way they'd be even looking at the likes of Clabo with their no big splashes statement. To me Clabo is a big splash. And yes we will have to wait and see but I disagree with the build through the draft sentiment. That is great if you have that kind of time but considering Ralph is no spring chicken and the fact that we've wasted so many high draft picks during the Modrak era I can speak for only myself when I say let's freaking make moves to win not to get gradually better. It is a rebuilding team. I understand that. But I'll take what you're smoking if you really think that Nix's no splashes statement is the way to go. I don't recall naming people when saying overpaying for mediocre players because i do like Poz. Do i think he's a top echelon player. No but he's better than what we have right now.

I think we should rip on the Steelers.

They've done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about signing free agents! How do they expect to win the superbowl if they don't sign any free agents??? Unbelievable!

Break out the Tar and Feathers! Pitchforks! Rotten tomatoes!

...Oh. Nobody has signed a free agent yet?

I'm concerned what msg this sends to potential signees. If they know that the Bills are resigned to "not make a splash", that implies that they're not really anxious to get ANY players. So, come the early stages of FA, even if it's someone we have targeted, how anxious are they going to be to sign w/ us? More than likely, they'll opt to test the mkt further & then we'll likely miss out.

What the front office says to the media and to players and their agents are a lot of the times very different.

I don't do hockey, so I have no idea what you're talking, nor do I care. Can we talk football here?

Go BILLS !!

I'd love to talk about football instead of people's personal depression that is currently dominating this thread.

but we have to spend 30 mil more this season right? where is that gonna go? realistically they have to spend some serious cash unless they redo kyle williams and steve johnson for this year but even that wouldn't cover it.