No Splashes? Why not?

MClem06

Iam not going to get upset over free agency just yet I will wait and see how things turn out just because Buddy said that the Bills would not make any big splashes doesn't mean that he won't sign any good players.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big splashes cost unwarranted money:

A league source tells PFT that the Panthers and Johnson have agreed on a deal that will keep Johnson in Carolina.

The Panthers’ front office and Johnson’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, have worked out a six-year, $76 million deal with $32 million guaranteed, including a $30 million signing bonus.

The 25-year-old Johnson started all 16 games for the Panthers last season and recorded 11.5 sacks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/charles-johnson-stays-with-panthers-gets-32-million-guaranteed/

Ridiculous, $12.6M per season

Yes we need to sign Big time free agents.....we where awesome with TO, Takeo Spikes, Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent.......I mean we almost made the playoffs...screw winning 4 games and developing young guys when we can spend big money and win 6.

I said it in the other thread and I agree. It is a special FA this year and they can pick up some decent players. I am losing some faith.... I hope that, that is unwarranted. Why would he even say it? What is the point of announcing it? Other team are going to sign some "splashes".

If they don't bring some people in, I am done with this team. I have stuck to my guns and not purchased anything from the Bills (memoriblia or tickets) for the last 4 years. I will keep doing that until they show they are serious about winning. You can't just build in the draft. New England is proably the most successfull team of the last 10 years and they get big name free agents. The draft only gives 3 or 4 potential starters each year(not by Bills standards of course) and if they are good we lose them after 4 years. So the draft only is never going to cut it. If the Bills don't address the major holes like RT and TE, I won't even go out of my way to watch the games. It will save me a few hundreds I would have spent on NFL package. People defending the build through the draft only are drinking the coolaid and supporting this team's cheap ways.

Anyone remember the last "franchise QB" we traded for? Drew Bledsoe? How did that work out for us? A 1st round pick to a division rival to get to 7-9.

PTR

Revisionist thinking again?

That 2004 team went 9-7 with Bledsoe and if they had beaten the Steeler back up players in the last regular season game the Bills make the playoffs.They lost that game 9-7.

That was the only Buffalo Bills team with a winning record in the last decade, so it didn't work out as badly as you put it with Bledsoe.

Another thing, I'll tell you what, bringing in Bledsoe sure did put the buts in the seats after a 3-13 season. with AVP and Rob Johnson at QB!

The biggest problem as I saw it with Bledsoe was the Bills couldn't protect the QB,any QB. Bledsoe was older and slower and didn't have the quickest release, but what he did have was a cannon for an arm, and if given time to get into a rhythm he was very accurate and a monster.

What happened was opposing team figured out that if they can hit him early and often he would see phantom sackers and hurry his throws. The Bills answer to this was to try and make him get rid of the ball in under 4 seconds, basically trying to teach an old dog new tricks. that doesn't work if you are constantly calling 5-7 step drop deep passing plays either.

What they should have done to help Bledsoe and all the QB's that have followed is build a proper offensive line, something that hasn't happened in Buffalo since the Kelly era.

Anyone remember the last "franchise QB" we traded for? Drew Bledsoe? How did that work out for us? A 1st round pick to a division rival to get to 7-9.

PTR

You mean the Drew Bledsoe that some other team, namely a good franchise, decided to move on from? Yeah, I remember that, another dumb decision by us.

Doesn't mean that a guy like Clabo wouldn't be a great addition to help further along the process of the Bills getting better quicker.

This franchise is indefensible. It's just too bad it's in a great football town that has to suffer with it's ineptness year after year. If this team was in Arizona, Jax or even Indy (where no one cared about football before Manning), it would folded long ago.

The more I think about it, the more Ralph Wilson should be kissing Buffalo's assss. Because there aren't many other NFL cities that would endure this crap the way we have through most of the this owner's existence. This organization would be drawing 20,000 people per game in a lot of other NFL cities that don't care.

That 2004 team went 9-7 with Bledsoe and if they had beaten the Steeler back up players in the last regular season game the Bills make the playoffs.They lost that game 9-7.

That was the only Buffalo Bills team with a winning record in the last decade, so it didn't work out as badly as you put it with Bledsoe.

Another thing, I'll tell you what, bringing in Bledsoe sure did put the buts in the seats after a 3-13 season. with AVP and Rob Johnson at QB!

The biggest problem as I saw it with Bledsoe was the Bills couldn't protect the QB,any QB. Bledsoe was older and slower and didn't have the quickest release, but what he did have was a cannon for an arm, and if given time to get into a rhythm he was very accurate and a monster.

What happened was opposing team figured out that if they can hit him early and often he would see phantom sackers and hurry his throws. The Bills answer to this was to try and make him get rid of the ball in under 4 seconds, basically trying to teach an old dog new tricks. that doesn't work if you are constantly calling 5-7 step drop deep passing plays either.

What they should have done to help Bledsoe and all the QB's that have followed is build a proper offensive line, something that hasn't happened in Buffalo since the Kelly era.

Don't throw logic into a homeristic viewpoint. While I respect the loyalty of PTR, if he isn't Russ Brandon's son or brother, he should be. They should have PTR doing Chris Brown's job. He's much better at it.

Yes we need to sign Big time free agents.....we where awesome with TO, Takeo Spikes, Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent.......I mean we almost made the playoffs...screw winning 4 games and developing young guys when we can spend big money and win 6.

I do, I do.

We signed TO when no one else would have given him as much money as we did. So, we kept him a Big Time free agent, AND he probably was the best player on our team anyway, which is sad.

Spikes? What about him? He was a big time player, AND he was good here. So, what was the problem with Spikes? Well, we needed even more help. That's not Takeo's fault.

Milloy? The Patriots moved on from him for a reason, and TD scooped him right up. Dumb decision. Period. Who's fault is that? They were outsmarted, imagine that, by New England......again.

Vincent? See Milloy, but change teams.

There are YOUNG free agents out there that we could get that could grow with the guys we are bringing in. Period. We don't need Donovan McNabb or 30 year old Albert Haynesworth. But don't tell me there aren't guys in Free Agency, that are also young, that wouldn't upgrade this football team. And a couple of them at offensive tackles.

This team lacks the will to win. Not from Nix. Not from Gailey. And not from the fans. From the owner. End of story. It can't even really be argued. This team is leaderless from the top, and it sucks.

Edited by Lv-Bills

I guess with the Sabres spending..people have to find *something* to cry about

I think what you are trying to say is that because the Sabres spent money this offseason the Bills are suffering by comparison. Otherwise, your statement makes no sense.

In reality, when you miss the playoffs for 11 seasons, YOU are the frame of reference....for how bad it can get at the NFL level.

New England is proably the most successfull team of the last 10 years and they get big name free agents.

Not attacking your entire post, but who are the big name, marquee free agents that the Pats have signed recently? It's more typically name players in the twilight of their career signed on the cheap.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

9-7...my bad, but a big choke on the last game of the season...good times.

PTR

Not attacking your entire post, but who are the big name, marquee free agents that the Pats have signed recently? It's more typically name players in the twilight of their career signed on the cheap.

Well Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and most of their running backs have all been free agents have they not? They seem to draft or develop lineman alot, and sign LB's and and offensive skill.

Seems like a pretty decent plan. You have to sign some free agents worth a damn. You don't have to be Washington, but there is plenty of help, especially for a team like the Bills that could be had.

And Andre Davis, and the stiff RT we got from the Raiders isn't going out and getting smart help.

9-7...my bad, but a big choke on the last game of the season...good times.

PTR

Yes, and the sad part of this is.......it was good times compared to the rest of the decade. At least we were relevant beyond week 6 of the NFL season.

Well Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and most of their running backs have all been free agents have they not? They seem to draft or develop lineman alot, and sign LB's and and offensive skill.

Seems like a pretty decent plan. You have to sign some free agents worth a damn. You don't have to be Washington, but there is plenty of help, especially for a team like the Bills that could be had.

Pats traded for Moss, Branch, and Welker. I don't really consider 35 year old Fred Taylor a big signing nor Sammy Morris. I guess maybe Adalius Thomas in 2007?

The Bills didn't say they wouldn't sign anyone, just that they wouldn't be active in the first few days spending big money. Almost replicating exactly what the Patriots have been doing the past few years. Other good teams do it also.

Rosters from San Diego, Pittsburgh & Green Bay are all almost entirely made up of draft picks. Not coincidentally Nix and Whaley came here from two of those teams.

Pats traded for Moss, Branch, and Welker. I don't really consider 35 year old Fred Taylor a big signing nor Sammy Morris.

The Bills didn't say they wouldn't sign anyone, just that they wouldn't be active in the first few days spending big money. Almost replicating exactly what the Patriots have been doing the past few years.

Does it really matter if they were traded for or signed. They were acquired, and produced for them. Big time. And that's just it about Fred Taylor, Sammie Morris, and new little white dude that took Welker's place in the slot last year....(Edelman maybe....same guy cut from the Jets?).......they don't whiff much on who they bring in to play roles. And when they do, they cut them. Almost immediately.

We aren't even coming close to replicating what the Patriots are doing. Are you kidding me?

So, maybe your post exposes yet another flaw of our franchise. The pro personnel department. I mean, New England obviously evaluates well, and trades for players that can still produce......

Meanwhile, again, the Bills........well, we got Andra Davis, the RT from the Raiders (whose name escapes me), and Geoff Hangartner.

Yeah, just like the Patriots. Doesn't really matter how you acquire the players, trade or free agency, it's all the same.

The whole problem with the Bills is that they keep missing.......in EVERY area of the game, except running backs.....and for some reason, we seem to have to keep stockpiling those too, because they end up headcases or fading out after a promising year.

Pats traded for Moss, Branch, and Welker. I don't really consider 35 year old Fred Taylor a big signing nor Sammy Morris. I guess maybe Adalius Thomas in 2007?

The Bills didn't say they wouldn't sign anyone, just that they wouldn't be active in the first few days spending big money. Almost replicating exactly what the Patriots have been doing the past few years. Other good teams do it also.

Rosters from San Diego, Pittsburgh & Green Bay are all almost entirely made up of draft picks. Not coincidentally Nix and Whaley came here from two of those teams.

And I agree about SD, Pitt, and Green Bay. Unfortunately, the Bills draft still hasn't produced anything resembling brilliance, and they don't get the benfit of the doubt, until they finally start hitting on something. There's your difference between GB, Pitt, SD......and say Buffalo or Cincy.

Ralph is trying to buy a new toilet for his grave figuring that he can flush the team down with his ashes, that's why we can't spend anymore money but to keep our 4-12 team strong & together.

Can you at least be funny w/ your Ralph/death jokes?

Does it really matter if they were traded for or signed. They were acquired, and produced for them. Big time. And that's just it about Fred Taylor, Sammie Morris, and new little white dude that took Welker's place in the slot last year....(Edelman maybe....same guy cut from the Jets?).......they don't whiff much on who they bring in to play roles. And when they do, they cut them. Almost immediately.

It does when the statement made is "New England is proably the most successfull team of the last 10 years and they get big name free agents."

And I agree about SD, Pitt, and Green Bay. Unfortunately, the Bills draft still hasn't produced anything resembling brilliance, and they don't get the benfit of the doubt, until they finally start hitting on something. There's your difference between GB, Pitt, SD......and say Buffalo or Cincy.

That's true, but the Bills haven't even begun year two, while those teams are well beyond their rebuilding. I'm sure the tone from fans of those squads was similar at this point as well.

You mean the Drew Bledsoe that some other team, namely a good franchise, decided to move on from? Yeah, I remember that, another dumb decision by us.

Doesn't mean that a guy like Clabo wouldn't be a great addition to help further along the process of the Bills getting better quicker.

This franchise is indefensible. It's just too bad it's in a great football town that has to suffer with it's ineptness year after year. If this team was in Arizona, Jax or even Indy (where no one cared about football before Manning), it would folded long ago.

The more I think about it, the more Ralph Wilson should be kissing Buffalo's assss. Because there aren't many other NFL cities that would endure this crap the way we have through most of the this owner's existence. This organization would be drawing 20,000 people per game in a lot of other NFL cities that don't care.

Don't throw logic into a homeristic viewpoint. While I respect the loyalty of PTR, if he isn't Russ Brandon's son or brother, he should be. They should have PTR doing Chris Brown's job. He's much better at it.

I do, I do.

We signed TO when no one else would have given him as much money as we did. So, we kept him a Big Time free agent, AND he probably was the best player on our team anyway, which is sad.

Spikes? What about him? He was a big time player, AND he was good here. So, what was the problem with Spikes? Well, we needed even more help. That's not Takeo's fault.

Milloy? The Patriots moved on from him for a reason, and TD scooped him right up. Dumb decision. Period. Who's fault is that? They were outsmarted, imagine that, by New England......again.

Vincent? See Milloy, but change teams.

There are YOUNG free agents out there that we could get that could grow with the guys we are bringing in. Period. We don't need Donovan McNabb or 30 year old Albert Haynesworth. But don't tell me there aren't guys in Free Agency, that are also young, that wouldn't upgrade this football team. And a couple of them at offensive tackles.

This team lacks the will to win. Not from Nix. Not from Gailey. And not from the fans. From the owner. End of story. It can't even really be argued. This team is leaderless from the top, and it sucks.

Only problem with young top players is they typically want to go to the already good teams or big market teams where they can get marketing deals. To get them to come to small market team like buffalo, have to way outbid the larger market teams typically. We need more than one or two splashes in next few years before one or two players can put us over the top. I agree with the build from within till close then wont have to overpay as much for those players and they will be able to see the prize at the end.