Poz signs with Jax, 6 years $7.5M/year reported

I think he was solid for us, is a decent LB, and that Jax overpaid him.

Unless we replace him with someone better, it is a loss for us, imo.

This is where I am at. So far I have been a staunch defender of Nix & Co. but this the first time I am disappointed that they failed to retain Poz. I realize it was not a question of money, but there should have been something the coaches and FO could have done to keep him. While not spectacular, he was solid and I am pretty sure part of Nix's strategy was to keep our own. If he starts failing in that aspect in addition to not being a big player in free agency, then we are sunk as we will never catch up.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! are any of them on our roster?

No.

So we have yet another self0created hole to fill in an already THIN LB corps. Fail by Nix.

Just answerin' your rant, Joseph. You implied there was only one LB, Willis, that was better then Posluszny. I beg to differ. I would've loved to see 'em draft Harris, but @ the time, the Bills were still toying w/ their oh so successful "smallish 4-3" and Harris was not suited for that role. Ah well.

I'm wondering how much impact Dave W. had in this decision? He had a lot of time to review film and maybe he felt that Poz just wasn't all that great. Nix probably wasn't lying when he said they'd like to keep him but he also was not willing to overpay for average production.

There's a reason Sheppard was drafted, and we haven't seen anything yet from Batten. Everyone's acting like Poz was all world and that he was a key to our defense. Making tackles 5 yards or more downfield doesn't make him a great LB, it makes him a body. He was a HUGE liability in pass coverage. His loss will not be anywhere near as devastating as the armchair DC's would like to believe.

poz = fletcher ... tons of tackles, 6 yds down field. we wont miss him as much as most think.

too many people have the blinders on because of the psu, white guy with long hair man love. its simple math, the guy is NOT worth what jax paid for him...period. props to buddy for not overpaying. maybe he learned his lesson on kelsay.

Put me down as being disappointed he's gone but thinking he is way overpaid at 6 year/42 mil. I am actually shocked we offered to match the contract. I noted again and again last year how weak he was in pass coverage. I would love to know how many 3rd down conversions were the result of his man catching passes and moving the chains. I also don't recall a lot of huge plays out of the man. I am anxious to see the Bills fill the void - perhaps with Stephen Cooper, Kevin Burnett, or Brandon Siler, San Diego.

Good luck to him but oh well, let's move on.....

My 2 cents

Make that: $45 million! (from kffl.com):

"Updating a previous report, the Jacksonville Jaguars have agreed to terms with free-agent LB Paul Posluszny (Bills) on a six-year deal worth $45 million. The deal includes $15 million in guaranteed money."

Gulp :w00t:

Schein and Rich Gannon just got a call about Poz on Sirius - they said the bottom line was Poz wanted to play MLB in a 4-3 and that's why he's gone.

They also said that the staff wants to get bigger up front on the D.

Interestingly they didn't trash the Bills for not re-signing the guy, just made it sound like it is, what it is...

"Updating a previous report, the Jacksonville Jaguars have agreed to terms with free-agent LB Paul Posluszny (Bills) on a six-year deal worth $45 million. The deal includes $15 million in guaranteed money."

My thoughts is that its sad to see him go as he was my favorite player BUT Jacksonville can have him for that price. I think that there are a lot of just as good options available for considerably less money.

Go after Nick Barnett when the Pack releases him also Kevin Burnett from the Chargers is another good option. Both can be had for significantly less than 6 million a year.

The Bills have to act fast to get a couple of MLB's or at least another MLB in here but losing Poz on another team overpaying him isn't tragic.

don't you think your blame is a little displaced? nix said poz was a priority. the blame lies with him and wilson for creating an environment no one wants to remain in and for being unwilling to match offers.

Nonsense. His agent said Bills made good offer but Poz wanted to play for a 4-3 team. What were they supposed to do - promise it would be changed to a 4-3 team again?

Five million a year, 15M up front.

First time Poz has come up with a sack.

This is where I am at. So far I have been a staunch defender of Nix & Co. but this the first time I am disappointed that they failed to retain Poz. I realize it was not a question of money, but there should have been something the coaches and FO could have done to keep him. While not spectacular, he was solid and I am pretty sure part of Nix's strategy was to keep our own. If he starts failing in that aspect in addition to not being a big player in free agency, then we are sunk as we will never catch up.

They could have overpaid him ($45M/6y) and switched the D back to a 4-3. Maybe they could have washed his car and baked him a cake too.

PTR

They could have overpaid him ($45M/6y) and switched the D back to a 4-3. Maybe they could have washed his car and baked him a cake too.

PTR

I agree that if Poz wanted to play in a 4-3, it would imply there was nothing we could do realistically do to keep him. However, I disagree with the money aspect. If it took 7 M to keep one position manned adequately, we should have done it. Right now, we have yet another hole and short of signing a replacement, have only rookies to fill it. I agree with the strategy to build through the draft and keep our good performeers. But those two strategies work in tandem. We have a lot of rookies slated to fill important roles on the D. And last year we saw that the rookies will be brought along slowly. Which implies we are going to be short of experienced and proven D players this season.

If we lose Whitner and Florence, I will officially stop with the (so-far) blind support of Nix and Co.

Edited by Fan in Chicago