Orton

I read on PFT today that the Broncos are shopping Kyle for a mid round pick does any buddy think he would be worth something that the Bills would be untested in for maybe a 4th or 5th round pick. I think he would give Fitzy good competition and that could be a good thing .

No. And I have to ask...why would we want to change QBs this season when there will barely be enough time for training camp? Bringing in a new starting QB will just set the Bills back even further. I mean I could understand if it was a some legit name QB but ORTON??? Seriously??? Do we love losing that much?

PTR

No. And I have to ask...why would we want to change QBs this season when there will barely be enough time for training camp? Bringing in a new starting QB will just set the Bills back even further. I mean I could understand if it was a some legit name QB but ORTON??? Seriously??? Do we love losing that much?

PTR

Fair enough point well taken. It was just a question I had to ask because of this boring off season. Sorry, but I didn't mean that we should replace Fitzy at all. What I was trying to say is to give him some competition and plus the BILLS need a vet back up

Edited by shadowcat10

PTR

Hey, let's not attack the guy for an idea. I think it's a good idea. But he should not be brought in to challenge Fitz for the starting spot, but rather as our backup QB, which we REALLY need.

I dont think there is any difference between Orton and Fitz. Both are capable NFL QBs but neither will ever be a top 10 QB in this league. That said, Orton may have gotten more chances than Fitz because he played at Purdue rather than Harvard, but skill, smarts, and overall talent is pretty much the same. I like him as a Backup, but not for a draft pick. We need those. Personally, I like Levi as the #2 Qb, and possible successor to Fitz and ultimately Kelly. I think he has a lot of talent. The only reason he didn't make it out of Camp was because Chan and the guys were new to B-Lo and didnt want to get rid of the 3rd rounder made starter, the 7th rounder made spark-plug, and the 2nd rounder who had all the potential... You know?

I read on PFT today that the Broncos are shopping Kyle for a mid round pick does any buddy think he would be worth something that the Bills would be untested in for maybe a 4th or 5th round pick. I think he would give Fitzy good competition and that could be a good thing .

I say grab him... He is a qb who has some NFL experience and would be a worthy backup. I see him as a backup only.

With an unconventional off season, rookies have to be one in a million to come in and be ready to take the reigns after being signed in early to mid august (assuming you can sign them quickly).

He's decent but not really worth a mid round pick unless you think that he could eventually become a top starter, which is unlikely. Also, I doubt that he would want to come here to backup Fitz. Maybe if he went to Indy he would accept a backup role, but not here.

He probably goes to a team looking for a decent transitional starter like Seattle, Washington, Minnesota or Arizona.

Edited by vincec

There are talented, confident, non-starting players that desperately want to start in the NFL, who become detriments to the team on the practice field, in the locker room, in the press, and outside the stadium if they are not playing -- AND -- there are similar players who do NOT become detriments but are team players. If Orton is the former, I don't want him. If Orton is the latter, he would be a great back-up on this team.

I think the vikings and maybe the phins are much better fits as well as the titans. All offer a chance to legitemately compete for a starting position as none of these teams have an entrenched starter and the vikes/titans need a mentor for their rooks.

I didn't know he made 9M per year? Is that true? If so, Hell no!!!! If not, why not for a 5th, especially if he takes a 3M/year backup type extension ? Fitz is in the last year of his contract and who knows how much he thinks he's worth. I like the way the roster is headed but we still seriously need to somehow hit on a REAL QB. People will bring up stats for Fitz but it's easy to just sling the ball wherever when it just doesn't matter. We'll see how he does when games actually mean something. Bottom line, only Orton for a 5th and a 3 yr, 10-12M extension.

Hey, let's not attack the guy for an idea. I think it's a good idea. But he should not be brought in to challenge Fitz for the starting spot, but rather as our backup QB, which we REALLY need.

I don't think that PTR. was attacking me in any way and I like his input and I respect his opinion. what I was really trying to say is that Orton may help this team for now in case of injury or if Fitz has a bad year who knows whats going to happen

I didn't know he made 9 mil a year either. He is not worth that as a starter let alone a back-up. But if he is released, which is likely the only the way the Bills would attain his services, he would have to renegotiate his contract. We're not going to pick him up off waivers at his previous salary, and we're highly unlikely to trade anything for him, as Gailey and Nix both seem to love draft choices over players. Plus there is no way they trade a 7th round pick for a 9 mil a year back-up.

Good teams have depth at every position. Orton isn't a superstar but he is a reasonably good QB. I'd probably prefer Fitz as the starter (more for his leadership ability than his arm) but Orton would make us stronger at the QB position. He'd be useful in the film room, on the sideline, and if Fitz got hurt. So I think this is a good idea... but not at 9 mil if that's the actual cost.