Good news for Bills, Bad news for Dareus

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/rookie-wage-scale-details-demonstrate-that-owners-lost-battle-won-war/

But the other 22 lose as well. The ultimate outcome of the rookie wage scale represents a major victory for the league, with the total pay of the top 10 picks dropping by anywhere from 40 to 55 percent. The money will now be shifted to veterans and retired players.
Edited by Kingfish

He'll still get more money than he's ever seen before. Not bad news at all if one thinks of it that way. Can't miss what he never

had, right? 50 million is great. But I wouldn't be mad at 10 million or 20 million either if all I ever had in my pocket is 20's. LoL

Edited by purple haze

Rookie pay adjustments HAD to be made. The amount of money unproven rookies were being paid at the top of the 1st round (particularly QBs) was unconscionable. Even though the players (as a whole) never want to see any reductions in pay, you know 95% of the veterans in the league had to be disgusted by what rooks were taking in.

This is one of those contractual adjustments that is truly a "win-win" -- and it's not as if the first rounders will be "suffering."

I hope that the rookie scale is nice and tight like the NBA, where players really don't need agents. You were the number 5 pick, your contract will be this much and for this long. You were the number 12 pick, your contract will be this. Not much negotiating from agents.

You don't hear from NBA Player's agents come rookie signing time and hopefully we don't see Rosenhaus on TV as the big story every year with his rookie holdouts. :thumbsup:

Edited by K-No

shefter via PFT "all first-round picks will be signed to four-year contracts, with an option for the fifth year. As to the first 10 picks, the fifth-year salary, if the team exercises the option, will equate to the average of the 10 highest-paid players at the same position. As to the next 22 picks in round one, the fifth-year salary will reflect the average of the third to 25th highest-paid players at the position"

So, what about the first four years of the contract? Did I miss something? I would make a terrible lawyer. I had to read that three times to understand.

I hope that the rookie scale is nice and tight like the NBA, where players really don't need agents. You were the number 5 pick, your contract will be this much. You were the number 12 pick, your contract will be this much. Not much negotiating from agents.

You don't hear from NBA Player's agents come rookie signing time and hopefully we don't see Rosenhaus on TV as the big story every year with his rookie holdouts. :thumbsup:

It is not a rookie scale, it is a rookie cap, so salaries will not be slotted, they are still up for negotiation. Each team will have a certain amount of money they can use to Pay rookies. How they divide that up is up to the team.

shefter via PFT "all first-round picks will be signed to four-year contracts, with an option for the fifth year. As to the first 10 picks, the fifth-year salary, if the team exercises the option, will equate to the average of the 10 highest-paid players at the same position. As to the next 22 picks in round one, the fifth-year salary will reflect the average of the third to 25th highest-paid players at the position"

So, what about the first four years of the contract? Did I miss something? I would make a terrible lawyer. I had to read that three times to understand.

So, your top ten pick needs to be a star in his 4th year (or on track to be one) to warrant taking that 5th year option. If they're a Mike Williams or Whitner, you just say "SEEYA!!"

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

It is not a rookie scale, it is a rookie cap, so salaries will not be slotted, they are still up for negotiation. Each team will have a certain amount of money they can use to Pay rookies. How they divide that up is up to the team.

How's that different from the "rookie pool" that's been in place for years now?

GO BILLS!!!

It was an outrageous joke that high draft picks EVER made that money in the first place and how it ever came to happen is completely ridiculous. Imagine if you worked at a company for 15 years and succeeded at what you did, and some fresh graduate came in and made twice as much as you before he even put in a day's work, I have to say you would be outraged. I'm guessing that's the feeling the veterans had. Especially when some of these high picks don't pan out and contribute absolutely nothing for the millions of guaranteed cash they pocketed. This should have been fixed a long time ago.

You sure about that?

Actually this is good news for rookies, and everyone in the NFL and every NFL fan. If the Rookies perform, they will make more later in their carrear. This is really a no-brainer. Proven players deserve more than unproven rookies. Plus, the rookies will still make a ton of money, so it's not like they will be working two jobs like football players of the early years!

The rookie pool had loopholes big enough to drive a brinks truck through. So the agents(on behalf of the players) did.

So the new agreement closes these loopholes, then? If top picks can still negotiate freely and teams still have the discretion to divvy it up as they please, I would think the potential for loopholes still exists.

I hope you're right.

GO BILLS!!!

It was an outrageous joke that high draft picks EVER made that money in the first place and how it ever came to happen is completely ridiculous. Imagine if you worked at a company for 15 years and succeeded at what you did, and some fresh graduate came in and made twice as much as you before he even put in a day's work, I have to say you would be outraged. I'm guessing that's the feeling the veterans had. Especially when some of these high picks don't pan out and contribute absolutely nothing for the millions of guaranteed cash they pocketed. This should have been fixed a long time ago.

Well said. I will add exhibit 1, & 2: Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin.

So, your top ten pick needs to be a star in his 4th year (or on track to be one) to warrant taking that 5th year option. If they're a Mike Williams or Whitner, you just say "SEEYA!!"

No, the team would simply not exercise the unilateral right to have the player under contract for the 5th year, and let the player be a free agent, at which point they could sign him for whatever is reasonable if the two sides agree. Mike Williams would be gone, but 5th year Donte would probably have signed for a couple million under this scenario.

i'm thinking this is bad news for agents (which is good news for everyone else). is there any need for them anymore?

Well, considering careers often extend beyond four years, I'm guessing yes.