Good news for Bills, Bad news for Dareus

Rookie pay adjustments HAD to be made. The amount of money unproven rookies were being paid at the top of the 1st round (particularly QBs) was unconscionable. Even though the players (as a whole) never want to see any reductions in pay, you know 95% of the veterans in the league had to be disgusted by what rooks were taking in.

This is one of those contractual adjustments that is truly a "win-win" -- and it's not as if the first rounders will be "suffering."

I agree but don't forget the agents who'll have to wait 5 yrs to cash in on there prime rookie/s.

I didn't see this mentioned yet but a big side effect of the new rookie pay scale is that the top draft picks should be able to sign almost immediately from now on. Certainly there's no more need for long holdouts, and possibly a lot less of agents and their games.

Well, considering careers often extend beyond four years, I'm guessing yes.

true but for those with less than 4 years, especially rookies, it will be difficult for agents to justify the percentages that they currently demand. they may not play near as big a role as they currently do considering that the NFL average career is less than 4 years.

Good news CBS is reporting that rookie pay will drop 40 to 50 percent so Marcell Dareus should be playing sooner since there will be no need to hold out, and get some need reps. The great news is this was a great year to pick high, and Buffalo should only be paying him at the most a four year contract for 30.24 million with 16.4 million guaranteed. Since there is a salary floor in the CBA there will be plenty of money that needs to be used for a team that has been way under cap for such a long time. Oh yea, I couldn't figure out the year five extension cost because I couldn't find salary data for 2010.

This is just using Gerald McCoy's contract from last year.

Rookie pay adjustments HAD to be made. The amount of money unproven rookies were being paid at the top of the 1st round (particularly QBs) was unconscionable. Even though the players (as a whole) never want to see any reductions in pay, you know 95% of the veterans in the league had to be disgusted by what rooks were taking in.

This is one of those contractual adjustments that is truly a "win-win" -- and it's not as if the first rounders will be "suffering."

Yes, but the owners had no one to blame but themselves for their lack of control.

With what the Bills have gotten in return out of there most recent First round draft choices they should be ecstatic ! Be sides if a player like Dareus has a good first & second year there is nothing in the new rookie salary cap stating that they can't renegotiate their contract is there ??

The rookie salary cap had to be implemented it just isn't right that you can come in & teams can put out all this money on an unproven investment !!

There's other teams besides the Bills that have been burnt on first rounders , it's just that with the change at the top of the food chain at one Bills drive & along with the economics of the area that the Bills play in , it makes our first round busts even more magnified as far as the NFL & the media is concerned !!

But Buddy & company are fixin to turn it all around !!

Go Bills !!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by T master

All that will happen is rookies will sign and those who produce will have agent threatening to hold out like Jason Peters, not show up for camp, etc unless teams renegotiate after seeing rookie produce on field while those who were not on field still get outrageous money. Would not be surprised to see rookies signing with agent who has players already under contract so agent can say team has to negotiate w/both like happened w/Ted Washington and Pat Williams. They will never honor their part of contract - who was last player to be penalized NET for holding out?

i'm thinking this is bad news for agents (which is good news for everyone else). is there any need for them anymore?

Absolutely yes. Aside from this year's Grizzlies picks, there hasn't been a salary negotiation for a first-round pick in the NBA since the rookie scale was adopted, but every draftee has an agent. Not to negotiate their salary, but to get them drafted as high as possible in the first place. In a way, the agent gets the rookie a better contract by selling teams on him pre-draft. I don't see that changing, regardless of the rookie salary structure.

If you think about it though...

he's not really losing much, unless he gets hurt or sucks. If he plays up to expectation, he will gain the money he's not getting now as a veteran, and, if he plays long enough to get vested, he will get the retirement benefits that are being agreed to right now. Also, the worker's comp issues will probably be set up to pay hurt players fairly well, so, again, it's hard for me to see how he is really losing much other than guaranteed money for not doing anything.

Clearly, that was a ridiculous state of affairs to begin with, see Aaron Maybin.