Schefter twittering deal in the works

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why did he vote against the huge revenue sharing increase that was the 2006 CBA.

He voted against the 2006 CBA with an ill-defined additional revenue sharing concept. Once the concept was clarified, he voted for it. You know this because you've talked about it. And to the best of my knowledge, the Bills haven't partaken in the additional revenue sharing, which means something.

There are only 3 or 4 teams generating signficantly more than the rest. None of them have demonstrated a competitive advantage over the Bills because of this extra revenue. If Ralph wants more money, he should sell the team. It's a win win for him and his long abused fans.

Oh, the hypocrisy! This is little different than telling you whiners to stop following the team if you feel so "abused." After which you became indignant. The difference is Ralph is significantly more invested in owning the Bills than any of us are as fans.

You are porbably right. Those top earning teams who were on the hook for the massive revenue sharing increase of the 2006 CBA are no doubt tired of looking at Ralph's beefy bottom line, while reading his incessant wailing about how hard it is to compete.

Actually they're pissed that he was right about the 2006 CBA. And that they didn't listen.

Then I'm sure because I don't watch Fox News or worship Rush Limbaugh you assume I'm a flaming commie-pinko liberal. We all know there are no shades of grey.

PTR

Yup, the obligatory response that every conservative is a devout Fox News, Limbaugh or Beck watcher. Guess again.

Let's fire up the way back machine

Actually they're pissed that he was right about the 2006 CBA. And that they didn't listen.

Actually he wasn't right about the 2006 CBA. That agreement was a better one for him than the other owners. That's why Joneses, etc want to rip it up. He was right about the owners not understanding what was in the deal, but he's not going to get a better deal than the one just ended.

Actually he wasn't right about the 2006 CBA. That agreement was a better one for him than the other owners. That's why Joneses, etc want to rip it up. He was right about the owners not understanding what was in the deal, but he's not going to get a better deal than the one just ended.

He was right about the 2006 CBA. Otherwise they wouldn't have opted-out of it at the earliest possible time by a 32-0 vote.

As for the new CBA, we'll have to see what's in it.

Yup, the obligatory response that every conservative is a devout Fox News, Limbaugh or Beck watcher. Guess again.

Let's fire up the way back machine

PM me. I see you shut your PM down. I didn't want to discuss this in-thread.

PTR

Given that the Bills are one of three teams who haven't made it to the playoffs in this century (0-11) one has to wonder why the Bills insist on the idiocy of cash to cap payroll philosophy. This has been in play since the last CBA signed in 2006, and since this point the Bills have seen Nate Clements, and Jason Peters leave town for bigger pay days. Additionally Buffalo's insistence on not prorating bonuses has meant we haven't been able to land big free agent targets. So in short, the Bills lose their premier talent and don't bring in premier talent. This said, given our 0 for the century track record I don't blame any premier free agents wanting to stay here or come here.

I'm not surprised we're the only team mentioned in this article. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmIfyH0kee_8s1UCtWXVdsc5nYcB?slug=ap-nfllabor

Edited by BiggieScooby

Cash to crap is aptly named. What the NFL and all sports should do is reward teams that do their homework, draft well, have great coaching, develop their own players and prepare them for football and life after football. That way all teams would be on a a level playing field and obviously the Bills would still be 0 for this century.

Given that the Bills are one of three teams who haven't made it to the playoffs in this century (0-11) one has to wonder why the Bills insist on the idiocy of cash to cap payroll philosophy. This has been in play since the last CBA signed in 2006, and since this point the Bills have seen Nate Clements, and Jason Peters leave town for bigger pay days. Additionally Buffalo's insistence on not prorating bonuses has meant we haven't been able to land big free agent targets. So in short, the Bills lose their premier talent and don't bring in premier talent. This said, given our 0 for the century track record I don't blame any premier free agents wanting to stay here or come here.

I'm not surprised we're the only team mentioned in this article. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmIfyH0kee_8s1UCtWXVdsc5nYcB?slug=ap-nfllabor

Actually three teams were mentioned but who's counting?

Here's a good article on cash to cap accounting. Andrew Brandt is the former VP of the Packers and it may shock you to know that the Packers use cash to cap accounting methodology. Other teams use it as well.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Making-points-Union-must-think-cash-not-cap.html

The cash to cap accounting method isn't the reason the Bills didn't re-sign Clements and not keep Peters. It has nothing to do with their ability to land free agents or not. And, most importantly, NOT using cash to cap does not mean the Bills would spend below the salary floor.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Actually three teams were mentioned but who's counting?

Here's a good article on cash to cap accounting. Andrew Brandt is the former VP of the Packers and it may shock you to know that the Packers use cash to cap accounting methodology. Other teams use it as well.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Making-points-Union-must-think-cash-not-cap.html

The cash to cap accounting method isn't the reason the Bills didn't re-sign Clements and not keep Peters. It has nothing to do with their ability to land free agents or not. And, most importantly, NOT using cash to cap does not mean the Bills would spend below the salary floor.

GO BILLS!!!

This. Over long periods it's actually more flexible, and spends the same if not more dollars but you don't bankrupt the future for today.

It's like budgeting your money instead of maxing out a credit card.

As mentioned here, the Bills are not the only team to use this. Do you remember the John Butler era when money kept getting pushed to future years?

As mentioned here, the Bills are not the only team to use this. Do you remember the John Butler era when money kept getting pushed to future years?

Or the beginning of the Tom Donahoe era where over 1/3 of the cap was John Butler's "dead space."

Bills spend money they just don't spend it wisely and they don't draft well. If they did a better job of hitting on 1st and 2nd round picks as well as spending their money on players actually worth it they would be in a much better position.

The only time you should be exceeding cash to cap is if you feel like you need a piece or two to win a Super Bowl.

As opposed to what? Spending money you don't have?

PTR

Assume Fitzpatrick plays insane and guides us to a title. Would we tell him we can't pay him a huge signing bonus because we won't prorate it out over the course of the deal?

Maybe we don't have to concern ourselves with retaining elite talent, because hopefully we don't have any. Let's hope we don't for cash to cap's sake.

The only time you should be exceeding cash to cap is if you feel like you need a piece or two to win a Super Bowl.

89, Either you got on the band wagon at the right time, or you don't remember the glory days. I completely agree sometimes you need to roll the dice. Go big or go home!

for what it's worth, i don't think the bills were wrong for refusing to pay Nate Clements the lucrative contract he got from the 49ers. Nate was a very good CB, but he was asking for the moon and the stars above.

the biggest regret Bills fans should have should regard the loss of Pat Williams.

jw

Assume Fitzpatrick plays insane and guides us to a title. Would we tell him we can't pay him a huge signing bonus because we won't prorate it out over the course of the deal?

Maybe we don't have to concern ourselves with retaining elite talent, because hopefully we don't have any. Let's hope we don't for cash to cap's sake.

89, Either you got on the band wagon at the right time, or you don't remember the glory days. I completely agree sometimes you need to roll the dice. Go big or go home!

Or cause we don't have bonuses from the last few years eating up the cap, we will have the cap space for a large, and immediate roster bonus this year. The first 4 years that you implement this is the only time it actually effects spending.