Schefter twittering deal in the works

Did Donte burn you with the Super Bowl ticket giveaway too? And to think I followed that jerk!

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Twitter is really just a medium for idiots to communicate with other idiots for the amusement of the rest of us. Am I missing a greater significance? Is Twitter capable of more but its just been co-opted by idiots. My heirarchy of communication forms is below:

1. Phone call

2. Text

3. E-mail

4. Snail mail

5. semiphor/morse

6. facebook

7. mime

8. interpretative dance

9. carrier pigeon

10. Chatroullete

11. Twitter

12. cup-and-string

Here's how your list looks for people under 30:

1. Text

2. Email

3. Facebook

4. Phone call

5. Tweet.

100. Snail mail

Twitter has very specific [practical] applications.

For the sports junkie, Twitter is extremely useful. Get a third party client like Hootsuite and you can stay ahead of the curve in any sports/sports topic/sports region of your choosing, all with the convenience of a very readable, digestible interface.

I've been Tweeting as Charles Grodin (that's right, the actor) for about a year now. And right now there's almost 300 people who follow @CharlesGrodin thinking it's really him. So you tell ME how foolish Twitter is! :flirt:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how your list looks for people under 30:

1. Text

2. Email

3. Facebook

4. Phone call

5. Tweet.

100. Snail mail

Is 27 under 30? I ranked them in terms of convenience and effectiveness. I too text and email more than I call. I stay away from FB because its not fun anymore. I don't need updates on my ex's, and I don't care what some friend of a friend of a friend thinks about poptarts, the weather, Bush/Obama. FB was amazing at first. It had just gone live when I was in college and it was basically a big contest to be the most crude, disgusting, drunken slut on campus. Now my family, coworkers, boss and their children are on board and the party is over. I can't tell a joke without offending 10,000 people I've never met or getting a call from my aunt asking what "teabagging" means. You can barely even use it to stalk hot girls anymore. Pathetic.

Edited by Jauronimo

Did Donte burn you with the Super Bowl ticket giveaway too? And to think I followed that jerk!

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Twitter is really just a medium for idiots to communicate with other idiots for the amusement of the rest of us. Am I missing a greater significance? Is Twitter capable of more but its just been co-opted by idiots. My heirarchy of communication forms is below:

1. Phone call

2. Text

3. E-mail

4. Snail mail

5. semiphor/morse

6. facebook

7. mime

8. interpretative dance

9. carrier pigeon

10. Chatroullete

11. Twitter

12. cup-and-string

depends on who's twitter it is. Schefter is right roughly 80% of the time. For the media, twitter is just a way to break a news story before writing a full article/segment to go in more depth. Like a teaser. It is just a promotion tool to bang out headlines.

So far, others in the media are confirming that schefter is right about this, so..... yeah. if you think donte and schefter use twitter the same way, then that is just wrong.

0:) 0:) 0:)

1. Phone call

2. Text

3. E-mail

4. Snail mail

5. semiphor/morse

6. facebook

7. mime

8. interpretative dance

9. carrier pigeon

10. Chatroullete

11. Twitter

12. cup-and-string

thought you would have put cup-and-string before twitter ;)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

depends on who's twitter it is. Schefter is right roughly 80% of the time. For the media, twitter is just a way to break a news story before writing a full article/segment to go in more depth. Like a teaser. It is just a promotion tool to bang out headlines.

So far, others in the media are confirming that schefter is right about this, so..... yeah. if you think donte and schefter use twitter the same way, then that is just wrong.

I have no issue with the way Shefter and a few others use Twitter nor am I questioning Shefters reliability. I still think Twitter is a one dimensional and redundant application. Facebook already had status updates. Why do we need Twitter? It does nothing that existing technology didn't already cover and offers nothing unique.

Now i could be wrong, but if someone hates twitter so much, you ARE in fact allowed to not follow someone who annoys you. But i guess its more fun following people who bother you and then bitching about it.

It has its uses. Its great for breaking news, and for following sporting events if you aren't in front of the TV. You can get much more from twitter than from a simple play-by-play or box score. Its also great for keeping up with friends and sending out messages to a group fo people. Its free text messaging.

Now i could be wrong, but if someone hates twitter so much, you ARE in fact allowed to not follow someone who annoys you. But i guess its more fun following people who bother you and then bitching about it.

It has its uses. Its great for breaking news, and for following sporting events if you aren't in front of the TV. You can get much more from twitter than from a simple play-by-play or box score. Its also great for keeping up with friends and sending out messages to a group fo people. Its free text messaging.

Thanks for the tip. I do not have an account and do not follow anyone on Twitter.

ESPN Update on Talks

This is pretty significant. If the players are moving to $141M annually dedicated to players costs/team -- that allows the Owners to reserve $1.5B and then do a 60% player favored split of the rest of the revenue. This is the first time the players have indicated coming toward the owners previous offers....

Edited by JoeF

Is 27 under 30? I ranked them in terms of convenience and effectiveness. I too text and email more than I call. I stay away from FB because its not fun anymore. I don't need updates on my ex's, and I don't care what some friend of a friend of a friend thinks about poptarts, the weather, Bush/Obama. FB was amazing at first. It had just gone live when I was in college and it was basically a big contest to be the most crude, disgusting, drunken slut on campus. Now my family, coworkers, boss and their children are on board and the party is over. I can't tell a joke without offending 10,000 people I've never met or getting a call from my aunt asking what "teabagging" means. You can barely even use it to stalk hot girls anymore. Pathetic.

I ignore friend requests from anyone I work with and all family members except my sister and bro/sis-in-law. Who needs the hassle?

You can also block someone from following you (i.e., the annoying family members and co-workers you don't really want reading the crap you post/tweet).

I ignore friend requests from anyone I work with and all family members except my sister and bro/sis-in-law. Who needs the hassle?

You can also block someone from following you (i.e., the annoying family members and co-workers you don't really want reading the crap you post/tweet).

While that feature is nice it opens up the "why won't you friend me," can of worms. You can only claim you didn't get the request so many times before they catch on to that. And if you come clean and tell them that you don't want them to see your profile, people are usually hurt. FB, although much more slick these days, is a shell of its former glory.

Ha! I'm 26, 27 in a month, so I think we're coming from the same angle here!

And I agree with the "convenience" or at least expedience of the phone call. But chances are, I won't pick up to call unless I get an immediate text/email back, and it's something that needs a little hashing-out.

I too was a facebook pioneer back in ye olde college days, but it sounds like you need to tweak your security settings, bro!

I've got a whole host of people I've hidden indefinitely from my newsfeed, I auto hide all annoying apps/games the MOMENT the come through, and I've got lists set up to protect my status updates from the inevitable backlash of family members, coworkers, and the like.

It requires some legwork, but you can make it work for you!

1. Phone call

2. Text

3. E-mail

4. Snail mail

5. semiphor/morse

6. facebook

7. mime

8. interpretative dance

9. carrier pigeon

10. Chatroullete

11. Twitter

12. cup-and-string

Where does face to face communication fit it?