I like Gailey, but what was he thinking

Don't get me wrong, in net, I like Gailey, but I have to get one thing off my chest.

Last years moves surrounding Marshawn Lynch were about as unexplainable as any moves I've ever seen.

I can not fathom why Lynch was playing so much at the beginning of the year. Any way you look at it, the logic is inexplicable.

Options:

1) He watched absolutely no film covering the previous 2 years, showing Fred Jackson as our MVP.

2) He literally gave up the season before it even began, in an effort to increase Lynch's trade value from nothing to next to nothing.

Either way, I'm still upset about it. Obviously, I need some help.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred was injured, and CJ was seen as a secondary RB - so Lynch was given an opportunity to be the featured back, and was either playing for his job as a Bill, or they had already decided his fate and he was just playing to increase his overall value. The big question, I think, that needs answered in regards Lynch isn't so much his being traded or played early, but that he was traded for too little compensation. It appears that Nix didn't maximize his returns on Lynch, and that is worrisome, if only that it is an indication that Nix isn't as capable a GM as others might be, as far as stretching the value of his resources.

Don't get me wrong, I like Nix and I like the direction the team is heading in. I just think he's shown some vulnerability in the trade department. I really thought there were teams last year that were all but destined for the postseason, that were loaded everywhere but at RB - teams like Green Bay, for instance, who might have been willing to trade more, or maybe would have parted with a player.

I'm still holding out hope that Nix shows us some real genius with this year's F.A. market. And I do think Lynch and his circumstances last year are all attributed to Nix, and not Gailey.

I can not fathom why Lynch was playing so much at the beginning of the year. Any way you look at it, the logic is inexplicable.

Hope that answers your question!

Seriously though it should answer your question in 2 ways.

1) Marshawn is good. Quit being a hater. I can't fathom why Fred Jackson supporters don't think Lynch was a good RB. For one he was better at getting into the end zone than Fred. Lynch supporters don't think Jackson sucks. Why the hate? (Usually displayed with some kind of amazement as to why everyone else couldn't see that Lynch was the devil incarnate and Fred Jackson a sure fire hall of famer)

2) The second answer I didn't want to believe myself. He was potentially being show cased for a trade. The fact that you see him in a new uniform is proof of that. You can't get good value out of a guy on the bench.

Edited by PDaDdy

Don't get me wrong, in net, I like Gailey, but I have to get one thing off my chest.

Last years moves surrounding Marshawn Lynch were about as unexplainable as any moves I've ever seen.

Options:

1) He watched absolutely no film covering the previous 2 years, showing Fred Jackson as our MVP.

2) He literally gave up the season before it even began, in an effort to increase Lynch's trade value from nothing to next to nothing.

I think I understand what you are saying. Gotta think that they were showcasing him to get a great trade but realized it was not happening. Also With Freddy hurt in the beginning of the year they knew that he would be better off further ahead in the year if he was rested. I do like that they drafted another RB this year as I think that Spiller will be another flop. Hope Im wrong about that though.

He didn't want to be here. He would not fit into the culture of a bunch of good old boys, who are dedicated football professionals- he is more of a wanta-be punk rock star. He is not a break-away threat, but a misfit light pounder fullback. He doesn't fit Gailey's offense, which has as one of its building blocks, that the Bills can go to the house on any given play.

Options:

Obviously, after months of film study of the previous season and watching closely in the off-season, camp and the preseason, Chan concluded that Trent Edwards and Marshawn Lynch were going to lead his offense to repectablity.

youtube.com/watch?v=jBHk9rc4hHc

1) Marshawn is good. Quit being a hater. I can't fathom why Fred Jackson supporters don't think Lynch was a good RB. For one he was better at getting into the end zone than Fred. Lynch supporters don't think Jackson sucks. Why the hate? (Usually displayed with some kind of amazement as to why everyone else couldn't see that Lynch was the devil incarnate and Fred Jackson a sure fire hall of famer)

2) The second answer I didn't want to believe myself. He was potentially being show cased for a trade. The fact that you see him in a new uniform is proof of that. You can't get good value out of a guy on the bench.

Fred Jackson 4 years 2860 running yards averaging 4.4 yards per carry 56 games

Marshawn Lynch 4 years 3338 running yards averaging 3.9 ypc 57 games

Numbers look even. but...

Lynch in first game went 3 attempts for 13 yards, 2nd game 17 att for 64 yds, 3rd 13 for 79, 4th 4 for 8 yards That isnt great at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=jBHk9rc4hHc

You need to move on from this one TD run...there is a list a mile long of players that made a spectacular play, but that did not make their overall play good. Lynch averaged 3.5 yards per carry, a very poor number, for the Seahawks last season and was seen as a busted trade just about the entire time until this one run. In the playoffs, outside of this one great play, and it was a great play, he averaged just 3 yards per carry and followed this great run up with a whopping 2 total yards in the next game where Sea was eliminated from the playoffs.

Everyone gets it was a great run, but he did not have a great season, never reached his potential in Buffalo either where FJ consistently was the more effective back at running, pass blocking and receiving. As part of a duo, Lynch saw more goal line carries because his strength was leg power, but FJ was always more productive on the same team behind the same OL.

Lynch has not lived up to expectations based on his physical attributes or his draft position. Not to mention all his off field stuff. He needs to come out and prove he can be better than what he showed thus far in this next season, or it just might be his last as a starter. He has been in this league too long to not be hitting the holes better. His tendency to dance behind the line or stall to find a home run play is what kills his consistency and is something rookies struggle with, not 4 year Vets with as many touches as he has had. Watch how FJ explodes through holes and creases in comparison to Lycnh and you will see what FJ has been far more effective thus far.

He didn't want to be here. He would not fit into the culture of a bunch of good old boys, who are dedicated football professionals- he is more of a wanta-be punk rock star. He is not a break-away threat, but a misfit light pounder fullback. He doesn't fit Gailey's offense, which has as one of its building blocks, that the Bills can go to the house on any given play.

You make a good point here. Gailey likes players that can pressure a defense, create mismatches, and strike quickly. He prefers RBs who are multifaceted that can hurt you running and receiving from various formations. Lynch is too one-dimensional for most of Gailey's schemes. Love his heart though.

GO BILLS!!!

It was obvious to most the Bills were showcasing him for a trade. Not that hard to figure out, really.

Options:

Jeez guys, memories faded that fast?

Marshawh Lynch hurt his ankle in preseason, Fred Jackson hurt his hand in preseason and it was in a cast, so CJ Spiller was named the starter for the opener. That lasted about 3 plays because the rook was clueless about how to do his job, he didn't know the blocking protections, couldn't find the hole, didn't know his routes.. Don't you guys remember that Miami game at all, Edwards tried to dump the ball off to Jackson early and it hit his hand, tough to catch a ball with your hand in a cast. That didn't stop Edwards from throwing it to Jackson tho. Both Jackson, Spiller and Lynch all saw playing time in that first game.

The story out of the FO is that Spiller had ball control issues, so he was benched as the starting RB, plus 7 rush attempts for 6 yards might be the real reason.Chan Gailey had Edwards in constant shotgun 18-34-139 1 TD. Trent actually outplayed Chad Henne in that game but the difference was Miami's defense was so much better, so was their running game.

The Bills O line was horrid at the start of the year, RT Green was a complete waste and should have never seen the field as the starter, but the Bills had nobody behind him. Plus the Bills were swapping Bell in and out of plays at LT because he was still recovering from his injury. Is it any wonder as to why Edwards looked so bad and the dolphin Defense looked so good.

If I recall correctly about the middle of the next game against the Packers Gailey finally decided to stop throwing the ball with Edwards in shotgun, daring the defense to stop the passing game and started to run the ball more. Lynch got most of the carries because Jackson's hand was still injured and Spiller was useless.

Lynch was more effective against the Patriots with Fitz as the starter in game 3, still tho, the reason Lynch was getting most of the workload early was because of Freddy's injured hand and Spiller's inability to block.

All the more it made sense to deal him on Draft day and not have him take reps in the off season from another player. We also may have got a 3rd round pick for him instead of the crap from Seattle or may be swapped for the equally in-the-dog-house LB from Green Bay. It might have been a win-win situation.