I like Gailey, but what was he thinking

Since when does it take an entire year to find out whats on the roster?If those two can't watch tape and figure out if a player is good or not....then they are in the wrong business. Well shoot, HTH do they determine if a college player is good or not, they draft him and watch him for a year and then see if he is good?

Stop making excuses for the two bums RW hired! 2 more bums in a long concession of bums

If that's the case we shoulda traded the entire team and started over.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that exactly what happened? Gailey watched two games with Edwards and then Trent was cut.

Jebus, the excuses you guys make for the ineptitude of these new coaches....just because they are new to Buffalo doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Why didn't he watch film from the previous years on Edwards, considering he did nothing to reinforce the O line. In reality Gailey made the line worse by starting Green at RT, how does that waste of space even make the starting lineup much less the field

Almost everything I read on the guy previous to joining the Bills said he was worthless, yet the Bills sign him for 3 mill per year and start him.

Named Spiller the starter for the opener and the guy literally didn't know what he was doing out on the field, this was the RB that was supposed to "make the line block better". what a freaking joke that is because the rookie RB didn't know how to block at all. Fred Jackson needed to come into the game and play with a cast on his hand. When was the last time you saw a RB play with a cast on his hand... he had to because the starter couldn't do his job.

When was the last time in the NFL you saw a head coach groom a QB in preseason, stick up for him when he was getting booed in training camp and then cut him after 2 games, utterly moronic.

C'mon guys, wake up! This coaching staff is worse then Dick Jauron's staff, hard to believe I know, but true.

Jebus, the excuses you guys make for the ineptitude of these new coaches....just because they are new to Buffalo doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Why didn't he watch film from the previous years on Edwards, considering he did nothing to reinforce the O line. In reality Gailey made the line worse by starting Green at RT, how does that waste of space even make the starting lineup much less the field

Almost everything I read on the guy previous to joining the Bills said he was worthless, yet the Bills sign him for 3 mill per year and start him.

Named Spiller the starter for the opener and the guy literally didn't know what he was doing out on the field, this was the RB that was supposed to "make the line block better". what a freaking joke that is because the rookie RB didn't know how to block at all. Fred Jackson needed to come into the game and play with a cast on his hand. When was the last time you saw a RB play with a cast on his hand... he had to because the starter couldn't do his job.

When was the last time in the NFL you saw a head coach groom a QB in preseason, stick up for him when he was getting booed in training camp and then cut him after 2 games, utterly moronic.

C'mon guys, wake up! This coaching staff is worse then Dick Jauron's staff, hard to believe I know, but true.

What he said!!! :worthy::worthy:

What excuses have I made? For the sake of dicussion I pointed out the flaws in Tennessee's argument that Chan was the worst coach in the NFL. I concede that Chan could be the worst coach in the NFL, just not for the reasosns that have been stated. I have reserved judgement for the time being, until I have more to go on.

Yes Harvey, we've all heard your complaint with the offensive line. But Gailey does not make personnel decisions. Oh, and Spiller was the starter because Fred and Marshawn were both injured in preseason. So we can disregard both of those issues. So you're mad that Gailey even gave Edwards a chance to start, and you're even more upset that he cut him afterwards? I'll let you ponder that some more.

Lets recap: you've misconstrued everything I've had to say, cited several disagreements with personnel decisions (Nix's responsibility) and contradicted yourself. Jebus, indeed.

Gailey had a lot of chances to see Edwards on film, including the 4-0 start. He saw him in camp and saw him, most important in the regular season. He delayed in pulling the trigger, resulting, because of that and other decisions, in a disaster of a season.

I don't know, TB…

Was it really a disaster of a season?

The Bills won 4 games? Would it have been better to win 6-7 games?

I think most Bills fans would concede that in the long run, the team will be better for only having won 4 games.

I think that the team knew they were building from the ground up and moved slowly, methodically, and carefully in making personnel decisions.

I think they knew they weren't going to make the playoffs and that it would be better to make sure they gave certain players a fair shake before passing a final judgement on them. I think Trent and Marshawn fell into this category.

Just my opinion.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The staff Gailey assembled last off-season was a who's who of Gailey followers, some of whom had never coached in the NFL. And yet there was Gailey and Nix talking about teaching. Who's teaching who here?

DC George Edwards - career LB coach (98-02; 04-09) save a season as DC for Washington where his defense struggled

OL Joe D'Alessandris - career college OL coach; became Asst OL coach in KC in 2008 after Gailey is hired

A. OL Bobby Johnson - college OL coach; 2010 was first year in NFL

DL Giff Smith - career college defensive coach, 2010 was first in NFL, worked for Gailey from 04-07

WR Stan Hixon - 6 years working in NFL, all with Washington as a WR coach; previously WR coach at LSU

RB Curtis Modkins - 3 years ago was GT's RB coach. Now the nominative OC and has basically worked for Gailey since 2002.

QB George Cortez - had never coached in NFL before 2010

TE Bob Bicknell - 3 years in NFL; former Asst OL coach in KC, hasn't coached in NFL anywhere else

Gailey's staff is short on NFL experience, particularly in their current positions save for Catavolos, DeHaven, and of course Wannstedt. But in that initial season, Gailey's staff resembled more of a college staff and not one that had proven much. I believe this is in large part to the unattractiveness of working for an also-ran HC for an organization with such a poor rep league wide.

Lynch can only make the roster if he is primary back--if you are the number two or three back you have to contribute on special teams...obviously Fred and CJ do that...trust me johnny white will too, this year...so he was either number one or out the door...yes they should have pulled trigger sooner but it pales in comparison to what they did with edwards vs fitz...the only chance Chan had of making team competitive out of the gate was if Edwards and Lynch played lights out..they did not and team lost first eight games....I hope that helps you understand the process..

I don't know, TB…

Was it really a disaster of a season?

The Bills won 4 games? Would it have been better to win 6-7 games?

I think most Bills fans would concede that in the long run, the team will be better for only having won 4 games.

I think that the team knew they were building from the ground up and moved slowly, methodically, and carefully in making personnel decisions.

I think they knew they weren't going to make the playoffs and that it would be better to make sure they gave certain players a fair shake before passing a final judgement on them. I think Trent and Marshawn fell into this category.

Just my opinion.

Gets it.....

All I had to do was watch what they did with the Marcus Stroud situation on defense to know what the mo was for this team last year.....

Improve draft position

Evaluate veterans

Get rid of dead weight

Make rookies earn playing time

Last years season was a dump......that is exactly what it was......

As much as I hate losing, I think what John from Hemet and SJBF said was probably the best approach the FO could have taken. Find out who's worth keeping and forming a foundation with. Toss the rest when they can be upgraded.

What don't you guys get about watching film and evaluating talent, it doesn't take a season or even a few regular season games. Every player on the team should have been watched on tape from the previous season and had a grade on them.

If that is the case, how do they enter the season with Cornell Green starting? Then not have an adequate back up player behind him. No excuse for a professional team to do things like that!

I know Lynch and Spiller were both injured in preseason, Jackson's hand, Lynch's ankle. What bothers me is the fact that Gailey named Spiller the starter and the kid was clueless on how to do his job. When a coach puts a player on the field and that player doesn't know how to do his job, it tells me that the coaches don't know how to do their jobs.

This isn't some rinky dink UFL league or even the CFL league, this is the NFL and these coaches have to go head to head with Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan. Doesn't look good to me, but keep making excuses for them.

Harvey I feel your pain on Cornell Green. That was just a bad acquisition. Bad mistake. But overall in the whole scheme of things I think Gailey and Nix are on the right track. I suppose I'm a bit more optimistic than you are.

Gets it.....

All I had to do was watch what they did with the Marcus Stroud situation on defense to know what the mo was for this team last year.....

Improve draft position

Evaluate veterans

Get rid of dead weight

Make rookies earn playing time

Last years season was a dump......that is exactly what it was......

good thing they discounted the tickets for the extended pre-season they conducted last year

but I guess why do that - when they have been dumping seasons for over a decade

Harvey I feel your pain on Cornell Green. That was just a bad acquisition. Bad mistake. But overall in the whole scheme of things I think Gailey and Nix are on the right track. I suppose I'm a bit more optimistic than you are.

The Cornell Green trade is the single thing that makes me least comfortable about Nix.

The "old buddy" coaching staff is the single thing that makes me least comfortable about Gailey

The staff Gailey assembled last off-season was a who's who of Gailey followers, some of whom had never coached in the NFL. And yet there was Gailey and Nix talking about teaching. Who's teaching who here?

DC George Edwards - career LB coach (98-02; 04-09) save a season as DC for Washington where his defense struggled

OL Joe D'Alessandris - career college OL coach; became Asst OL coach in KC in 2008 after Gailey is hired

A. OL Bobby Johnson - college OL coach; 2010 was first year in NFL

DL Giff Smith - career college defensive coach, 2010 was first in NFL, worked for Gailey from 04-07

WR Stan Hixon - 6 years working in NFL, all with Washington as a WR coach; previously WR coach at LSU

RB Curtis Modkins - 3 years ago was GT's RB coach. Now the nominative OC and has basically worked for Gailey since 2002.

QB George Cortez - had never coached in NFL before 2010

TE Bob Bicknell - 3 years in NFL; former Asst OL coach in KC, hasn't coached in NFL anywhere else

Gailey's staff is short on NFL experience, particularly in their current positions save for Catavolos, DeHaven, and of course Wannstedt. But in that initial season, Gailey's staff resembled more of a college staff and not one that had proven much. I believe this is in large part to the unattractiveness of working for an also-ran HC for an organization with such a poor rep league wide.

This marks the difference between a great team and a bad team, look back at the great teams of the late 80's early 90's. Then head coach Marv Levy who was not only smart enough to find and hire an experienced offensive coordinator in Ted Marchibroda. He also had enough confidence in himself to feel secure enough about his position as head coach to hire someone smarter and better then himself to run the offense. Marv had a special teams background and was clueless about the offense, for proof he tried to run a wing T in his stint as HC of the KC Chiefs. Although winning a few Grey cups as HC might have shown he knew how to be a "winning" head coach.

The point is that Marv hired Marchibroda, ex- HC of the Colts who had tutored QB Bert Jones, and the only reason ole Ted wasn't in greater demand was because his Colt teams couldn't get past the Steel curtain of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Terry Bradshaw. This man taught Bills QB Jim Kelly to call his own plays, setup the old Redskin "counter trey" running game offense with Thurman Thomas and had enough perception to see that Jim Kelly was at his best in the 2 min drill. So Ted then setup the hurry up "no huddle" offense that Kelly ran the entire game, and not just at the end of the half's.

You might be right about Buffalo's current "unattractiveness", but then the Bills were coming off back to back 2-14 seasons and were certainly not the toast of the NFL at that time.

My take is that neither Jauron nor Gailey felt secure enough in their position as head coach to hire anyone capable of taking their job away from them. Right now maybe Wannstache is the only guy that even comes close, because if Gailey goes, so will his entire staff save one or two people.There also might be monetary reasons as to why Gailey hired a bunch of college coaches.

Anyway, right now this looks like a CF and a mistake to hire an retired ex head scout and promote him to a GM position. Then another mistake for him to hire a good ole boy like himself to be the head coach.and more mistakes in hiring inexperienced college coaches at many positions. I suppose this is what you get with a 92 year old owner who is the acting president of the team.

good thing they discounted the tickets for the extended pre-season they conducted last year

but I guess why do that - when they have been dumping seasons for over a decade

I dont want to sound like a hypocrit because I dont buy season tickets....NFL Sunday ticket is the closest I come to a NFL bill....but I understand the strategy......

Your chances of getting a foundation player when you are in the top 5 of the draft (if you have good scouting which i believe we now do) are much better.....

but its more then that....its also picking the top 5 in the rounds after the 1st....and getting players of starting quality and getting your pick of certain players IF YOU HAVE GOOD SCOUTING which I beleive we now do.

For instance.....Williams.....he is gonna be a starter on this team...I know know when but its gonna happen....same with about 3 other players out of this draft......

This will be known as the draft where the bills rebiult their defense......just watch. And it all starts with the big guy we would have had no shot at in Marcel Darius should we not have taken a team dump last year.

the showcasing worked so well that they got less in trade than the offer they turned down on draft day - when they could have gotten help for last season.

Speculation is nothing more then bullpoop! Can u even prove this? It was all a bunch of crap. I am sure there were offers made, but how do u know the offers were better than the one we received from Seattle? Show some proof as to what u say. My bet is there isnt any! So this was more of a guess by U!

I said this before the season, and in hindsight I still believe it true.

Going into the season last year with fitz and Freddy we have a 6-10, or 7-9 team, with Trent and marshawn you could be 2-14, or 10-6 depending on which versions of the players showed up. Both showed early flashes in their careers, and then had head issues de-rail promising starts. Fitz and Freddy are good players but you knew what you had in them. It was easy to see they would playhard, smart, efficient, football that would have the team competitive week to week, but ultimately not contenders.... the other two were huge question marks. The questions were answered quick, and the answers not surprising, but it's not like this was a hard process to figure out. Trent and marshawn had more raw physical talent, and had shown they could play well- it was a question whether they could again.

Edited by NoSaint

Speculation is nothing more then bullpoop! Can u even prove this? It was all a bunch of crap. I am sure there were offers made, but how do u know the offers were better than the one we received from Seattle? Show some proof as to what u say. My bet is there isnt any! So this was more of a guess by U!

In reality Jay Glazer of Fox sports announced that the NO Saints were upset at Buffalo ( who refused to return their calls ) because they wanted Lynch for a run at the playoffs because all their RB's were injured and were willing to give up a 3rd rounder. Instead the old fart was napping and missed the calls, he went on to trade Lynch to Seattle for a 4th rounder this year and a conditional 5th next year.Something he could have gotten done the day of the draft because that is what Seattle initially offered Buffalo during the last years draft

http://msn.foxsports...m-Buffalo-Bills

NO Saints

http://profootballta...e-been-a-saint/

Then considering Lynch made that terrific run to end the Saints season in that playoff game I'll bet the NO FO thinks the world of Buddy Nix :lol:

This is the type of stuff that happens when you hire a man who was retired at age 70, and then promote him to a job he has never done before.

In reality Jay Glazer of Fox sports announced that the NO Saints were upset at Buffalo ( who refused to return their calls ) because they wanted Lynch for a run at the playoffs because all their RB's were injured and were willing to give up a 3rd rounder. Instead the old fart was napping and missed the calls, he went on to trade Lynch to Seattle for a 4th rounder this year and a conditional 5th next year.Something he could have gotten done the day of the draft because that is what Seattle initially offered Buffalo during the last years draft

NO Saints

Then considering Lynch made that terrific run to end the Saints season in that playoff game I'll bet the NO FO thinks the world of Buddy Nix :lol:

This is the type of stuff that happens when you hire a man who was retired at age 70, and then promote him to a job he has never done before.

It's hard to make trades in the NFL

NO Saints

Clearly a story that makes little sense and is completely rumors must be factual because he's old. All those years in the NFL and no one thought to teach the lowly scout that the third is higher than the fourth, and he flubbed it.... Probably got confused because 4+5 is 9 which is like three times as valuable as just a 3