Do the Bills go after a WR in Free Agency?

MClem06

With the young recievers we have on our squad (Nelson,Easely,Jones etc) it really feels as though we are missing a reliable veteran presence. I'm a 50/50 guy on Evans and I think we've seen the peak of his career already. It'd be nice to have 2 veteran recievers to help these guys. I'd love to see more 4 to 5 reciever sets this year so why not bring in a Free Agent that has some reliable hands and routes to help the younger guys. Since the Bills are never going to sign a huge namer like Braylon Edwards or Vincent Jackson or Sidney Rice etc. I think you go for someone who is going to be a positive locker room guy. With that being said who do you think would be the best fit? IMO I like any one of these: Lots of options for vets this year though...

Brian Finneran (ATL)

Donte' Stallworth (BAL)

TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)

Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)

Kevin Curtis (MIA)

Hank Baskett (MIN)

Greg Lewis (MIN)

Lance Moore (NO)

Johnnie Lee Higgins (OAK)

Mark Clayton (STL)

Maurice Stovall (TB)

Edited by MClem06

With the young recievers we have on our squad (Nelson,Easely,Jones etc) it really feels as though we are missing a reliable veteran presence. Evans/50 guy on Evans and I think we've seen the peak of his career already. I'd love to see more 4 to 5 reciever sets this year so why not bring in a Free Agent that has some reliable hands and routes to help the younger guys. Since the Bills are never going to sign a huge namer like Braylon Edwards or Vincent Jackson or Sidney Rice etc. I think you go for someone who is going to be a positive locker room guy. With that being said who do you think would be the best fit? IMO I like any one of these: Lots of options for vets this year though...

Brian Finneran (ATL)

Donte' Stallworth (BAL)

TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)

Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)

Kevin Curtis (MIA)

Hank Baskett (MIN)

Greg Lewis (MIN)

Lance Moore (NO)

Mark Clayton (STL)

Maurice Stovall (TB)

We already have Evans and Parrish as the experienced guys. TJ is not leaving Baltimore and also proved a big flop when he went to Seattle. Braylon Edwards is anything but a team player. He is a "me" player who got shipped out of Cleveland and will not be re-signed in NY (They will re-sign Santonio Holmes). The one person I wouldn't mind signing is Mercedes Lewis.

We already have Evans and Parrish as the experienced guys. TJ is not leaving Baltimore and also proved a big flop when he went to Seattle. Braylon Edwards is anything but a team player. He is a "me" player who got shipped out of Cleveland and will not be re-signed in NY (They will re-sign Santonio Holmes). The one person I wouldn't mind signing is Mercedes Lewis.

I don't think we need to sign a receiver, at least as a top priority anyway, too many other holes and receiver may be our deepest position now if the young guys continue to develop from last season. From everything I have read, TJ is pretty much out of Baltimore. Baskett as of right now is property of the Virginia Destroyers UFL team down here, so hoping for a Kendra sighting at a game. This team is too young and inexperienced in my opionion to add a player that has the potential to be a locker room distraction like a Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress or any other players with questionable character issues.

With the young recievers we have on our squad (Nelson,Easely,Jones etc) it really feels as though we are missing a reliable veteran presence. I'm a 50/50 guy on Evans and I think we've seen the peak of his career already. It'd be nice to have 2 veteran recievers to help these guys. I'd love to see more 4 to 5 reciever sets this year so why not bring in a Free Agent that has some reliable hands and routes to help the younger guys. Since the Bills are never going to sign a huge namer like Braylon Edwards or Vincent Jackson or Sidney Rice etc. I think you go for someone who is going to be a positive locker room guy. With that being said who do you think would be the best fit? IMO I like any one of these: Lots of options for vets this year though...

Every receiver on that list has also peaked, and I'd take Evans over probably all of them. Parrish is also a veteran WR who will be on the team as well as Stevie Johnson, who is going into his 4th year in the league, could step up in more of a leadership role.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I personally think we need to drop additional weight in the WR department but for s & g's I'll play along.

If were going to spend money to pick up a FA WR I would break it down 2 ways. If you are sure your not going to resign Evans when his contract is up and you don't think anyone else on this roster can start opposite Stevie, or you might think Evans and Parrish are nearing the end of thier careers for productive football the. You take a young guy that can give you something for years. From your list, I'd spend the Money on Simms Walker first and foremost. After that, it would be Sidney Rice, Lance Moore, Johnny Lee Higgins, and then, Greg Lewis in that order.

IF you are just adding another piece for temporary veteran leadership along with production I think the list is a little different. I don't think any one of those guys brings veteran leadership. They haven't been playing nearly long enough to be leaders. Your looking at more of those problem child WRs that nobody wants to sign. Personally I'd take TO back in a heartbeat. He is still better than anyone on that list with the exception of maybe Simms Walker and we have had him in our locker room and know he really isn't a distraction, that's it's all the media blowing things out of proportion. But that's only if were using him for a year or 2 at the most.

No. They try and get their vets like Evans and Parrish more involved while letting their young guys to develop. You have a good balance of responsibility and expectations. If the young guys step up and play well, then so be it. If they just contribute and play solid here and there, that's fine too.

With the young recievers we have on our squad (Nelson,Easely,Jones etc) it really feels as though we are missing a reliable veteran presence. ...

Wide receiver along now with D-Tackle are probably the positions of least need for the Bills. Don't spend time loking there for a FA. If you are looking for a FA thry the folowing positions:

O-Tackle

Tight-End (likely no one there to find)

Linebacker

Back-up QB

Money would be better spent in any of these areas.

No. They try and get their vets like Evans and Parrish more involved while letting their young guys to develop. You have a good balance of responsibility and expectations. If the young guys step up and play well, then so be it. If they just contribute and play solid here and there, that's fine too.

+1

I'd be interested in Mike Sims-Walker he's a young guy who should be coming into his own, but I'd have to look into a lot more because the Jags who don't have a great WR corps let him become a FA with not much effort to retain him, he's had some ankle problems but nothing too serious so you wonder what else is going on.

Brian Finneran (ATL)

Donte' Stallworth (BAL)

TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)

Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)

Kevin Curtis (MIA)

Hank Baskett (MIN)

Greg Lewis (MIN)

Lance Moore (NO)

Mark Clayton (STL)

Maurice Stovall (TB)

I like the idea in theory, but I don't see anyone in this group that I would take, unless they are cheap and we can ship Evans off for something good in return. Unlikely.

Marcus Easley is like signing a free agent but better. He's gonna kick butt and take names this year.

I hope you're right but what objective evidence do you have to make this prediction? Seriously! :huh: