Torell Troup's Progress

A lot of optimists here defending troupe. The fact of the matter is he looked awful last year (the main reason why he stopped getting playing time). I hope as much as anyone that Troupe magically turns things around (yes, I know he was just a rookie). Let's not forget that the Bills drafted him WAY too early. I remember watching ESPN and watching the announcers scramble through their papers trying to figure out who he was (after all, he played for UCF). This was a guy that probably could have been had in the 4th round or later.

If they had drafted him then, there wouldn't be these expectations of an "instant starter". But when you draft a guy with what is almost a 1st round draft pick (41st overall), a starter is what you should have.

So far McCargo has shown a lot more than Troupe unfortunately...

Troup wasn't projected to be a 4th round pick at all. The guy was slotted somewhere in the late 2nd early 3rd round. Also UCF is in the Big East which while not a top tier conference isn't one of the bottom feeders in college football at all.

All in all I do agree Troup was a reach BUT not as bad as you are stating it to be. Also Terrance Cody the player that a lot of pundits thought we should have drafted instead of Troup (I also was of that opinion) got hurt last season and wasn't dominant when he was playing either.

As I said in a previous post rookie DT's just don't come in and dominate in their 1st year. It takes 2-3 years of progression. Troup isn't some freaky exception like Suh or Gerald McCoy.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troup wasn't projected to be a 4th round pick at all. The guy was slotted somewhere in the late 2nd early 3rd round. Also UCF is in the Big East which while not a top tier conference isn't one of the bottom feeders in college football at all.

All in all I do agree Troup was a reach BUT not as bad as you are stating it to be. Also Terrance Cody the player that a lot of pundits thought we should have drafted instead of Troup (I also was of that opinion) got hurt last season and wasn't dominant when he was playing either.

As I said in a previous post rookie DT's just don't come in and dominate in their 1st year. It takes 2-3 years of progression. Troup isn't some freaky exception like Suh or Gerald McCoy.

Yeah I may have exaggerated that a little, my point was that he was not a guy that anyone had even mentioned as a possibility at that point in the draft. Especially with some of the other talent out there. If troupe had been taken later we might not even be talking about this, since the expectations wouldn't be as high. Since he was taken so high however, many people such as my self expected a better showing as a rookie...Is it make or break? of course not, but he didn't even show ANY signs of being a decent NT last year....Maybe he can improve, but I would have liked to see more last year.

Wouldnt it be great if we had 5 1st round picks every year so that they all are assured of playing well.....

This thread is a joke

Why is this thread a joke, just because you don't like it? Why post then? No one should be allowed to comment on a players performance for some set number of years based on your personal opinion?

No one is saying he had to be a starter last year, but I would have liked to see at least SOMETHING from the guy. Maybe he can improve, maybe not...no harm in discussing it in a thread...thats what forums are for...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

However, we are all fervently hoping that Dareus makes an immediate impact.

This offseason is going to be so painful to be a football fan.....the "fans" that like to come out and bash players with no real reason for doing so are going to be out in droves......even worse then a regular offseason.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure everyone in here is really pulling for Troup to develop into a complete stud. I know I am...No one is "bashing players with no real reason". Troup did not have much of an impact and looked less than impressive as a rookie, there is no harm in talking about that...Again, that's what forums are for...

However, we are all fervently hoping that Dareus makes an immediate impact.

Yeah, there are a lot of people that think top draft picks don't necessarily need to show anything their first couple of years...I might be in the minority, but with top picks, especially a guy like Dareus, I expect him to make an impact next year and at least show flashes of top level talent. I will be disappointed if he doesn't.

3-7 round picks, yeah I expect them to take some time to develop...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

:blink:

The University of Central Florida (UCF) plays in Conference USA.

The University of South Florida (USF) plays in the Big East.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure everyone in here is really pulling for Troup to develop into a complete stud. I know I am...No one is "bashing players with no real reason". Troup did not have much of an impact and looked less than impressive as a rookie, there is no harm in talking about that...Again, that's what forums are for...

Yeah, there are a lot of people that think top draft picks don't necessarily need to show anything their first couple of years...I might be in the minority, but with top picks, especially a guy like Dareus, I expect him to make an impact next year and at least show flashes of top level talent. I will be disappointed if he doesn't.

3-7 round picks, yeah I expect them to take some time to develop...

The forums are not for spewing negative garbage just for the sake of doing it.....

Are we seriously at the point where we are critiqing a rookie D linemen who didn't even start? Is that where we are at?

The forums are not for spewing negative garbage just for the sake of doing it.....

Are we seriously at the point where we are critiqing a rookie D linemen who didn't even start? Is that where we are at?

Does this mean you'll get sore at me for starting a thread about what a disappointment Alex Carrington has been so far?

Out of respect for you, John, I'll hold off on that topic.

Reminds me of an old joke:

"Did you hear that Salmon Rushdie is coming out with a new book?

Yeah, it's called "Buddha you Fat F_ck"

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I have read that Troup's been working hard on his core and that he weighs 326. Has anyone else heard how the coaching staff feels about him going into this year? Anyone else have any info on how he might progress in his second year or some good stats from the second half of the year? I read a piece about his game against JAX and I found it kind of alarming that he was getting pushed around so much, especially for a guy that is built to be a NT. Aren't these the guys supposed to be pushing OTHER guys around?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/24/2186513/torell-troup-film-analysis-buffalo-bills

If anyone has studied him I'd love to hear more about him.

i have specifically watched every single snap of all his home games. i always isolate and watch the DT's.....as i have previosly reported in other threads....his "technique" at the point of attack is HORRIBLE.....at the snap....for some crazy reason....he bends and lowers his left leg at the knee and turns it in.....putting all his weight and push on his right leg.....as reported in this link, he thens raises his upper body to essentially a 45 degree angle allowing the O-lineman to get underneath him and gain leverage. he got knocked BACK on most running plays and got no push on passing plays.....he was god awful.

good for him he is working hard on getting better.....otherwise he will be following Maybin out the door.

It looks like some fans are discussing the merits and weaknesses of a Buffalo Bills player. That is precisely the service of this forum. You yourself even wrote that Troup had technique problems (and he does). For that matter, he freely admits himself that he needs to get better and says he is working hard to do so.

But if there are posts violating the ToS, use the report button. Thanks.

Dan Williams another guy a lot of people thought we were going to take last year, didn't do jack squat, and he was a first rounder.

"It's important to end this post noting that we're talking about one game very early in Troup's rookie season. It would be a mistake for anyone to base your opinion on Troup on this post or his performance in this game, because it does not take into account his entire body of work by any stretch. This is just something I noticed in this game. If by the time we get to re-watching Week 16 and the same thing is happening, then you can probably voice stronger concern. Troup will improve."

Are you kidding? You can tell who's a bust after one OTA!

PTR

Yeah I may have exaggerated that a little, my point was that he was not a guy that anyone had even mentioned as a possibility at that point in the draft. Especially with some of the other talent out there. If troupe had been taken later we might not even be talking about this, since the expectations wouldn't be as high. Since he was taken so high however, many people such as my self expected a better showing as a rookie...Is it make or break? of course not, but he didn't even show ANY signs of being a decent NT last year....Maybe he can improve, but I would have liked to see more last year.

Why is this thread a joke, just because you don't like it? Why post then? No one should be allowed to comment on a players performance for some set number of years based on your personal opinion?

No one is saying he had to be a starter last year, but I would have liked to see at least SOMETHING from the guy. Maybe he can improve, maybe not...no harm in discussing it in a thread...thats what forums are for...

I do agree that Troups expectations were set by his high second round pick draft status. If Troup was picked in the 3rd (Or we traded up into the late 2nd) the expectations would have been vastly different.

I do think that your assessment of Troup showing nothing was a little off. I thought that later in the year the guy showed quickness and improved strength. Towards the end of the season when his playing time was upped he showed that he could chase down and pursue angles well.

In the end he just didn't seem strong enough to hold the point of attack consitantly. Core strength and improvement at the point of attack is something that DT's can improve upon after their 1st year or two in the league.

It looks like some fans are discussing the merits and weaknesses of a Buffalo Bills player. That is precisely the service of this forum. You yourself even wrote that Troup had technique problems (and he does). For that matter, he freely admits himself that he needs to get better and says he is working hard to do so.

But if there are posts violating the ToS, use the report button. Thanks.

Fine......lets make sure we talk @hit about everybody that played on the Bills last year (and by the way....I dont see too much talking about "merits" I see a lot of people complaining about a rookie)

"Troup needs to improve or he is on his way out the door like Maybin" REALLY....so now we are comparing a rookie 2nd round pick who sat behind a pro bowler to a 1st round guy who cant even play special teams?

This has nothing to do with TOS violations.....it has to do with people losing their minds on their perspective of this team.

I vote we start bashing David Nelson next. The guy is too skinny to be a NFL wide receiver and cant stay healthy. After that we can bash Brian Moorman for a while......for the money he is payed ALL of his kicks should be inside the 5 yard line......