Expect an Increase in Crime if Season is Lost

I didn't say I agree with him, just that I can understand why he would think so, especially given what he grew up around.

Although, the he is a murderer rant gets old by people who don't really know anything about his case or what he was really facing. Same goes with people who refer to Kobe as a rapist who don't actually know any thing about the case just because they don't like Kobe or the Lakers.

Ray wasn't guilty of murder....you are right. He did obstruct justice on behalf of murderers and if he didn't play football he'd have gone to prison for being an accessory after the fact, but you're right he's not a murderer. As for Kobe, he's guilty of being really dumb, not doing anything illegal, so you're comparison of the two seems like you aren't really up on all the facts of their cases.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do this research if we don't have a season -- watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game. -- Ray Lewis

Ray Ray knows crime......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6575570

ive got a different take on it.......if there is no football next season crime will go up because all the unemployed football players will be getting arrested left and right!!!!

I didn't say I agree with him, just that I can understand why he would think so, especially given what he grew up around.

Although, the he is a murderer rant gets old by people who don't really know anything about his case or what he was really facing. Same goes with people who refer to Kobe as a rapist who don't actually know any thing about the case just because they don't like Kobe or the Lakers.

Ray Ray knows violence.

Ray wasn't guilty of murder....you are right. He did obstruct justice on behalf of murderers and if he didn't play football he'd have gone to prison for being an accessory after the fact, but you're right he's not a murderer. As for Kobe, he's guilty of being really dumb, not doing anything illegal, so you're comparison of the two seems like you aren't really up on all the facts of their cases.

Actually my comparison of the two is exactly what you said...people falsely refer to Ray as a murdered because they don't actually know what he was actually in trouble for...and people refer to Kobe as a rapist because they dont actually know any of the facts about the case. I did not compare the nature of what they were guilty of, just the negligent claims that are slung at both of them by people who know nothing about the cases.

Oh wow...I thought he was talking about the 1700-1800 NFL players that will have noting to do, during an extended off-season...idle hands and all. :P

don't forget all the retired and former NFL players.....

Police arrested former Chicago Bears running back Garrett Wolfe in Florida early Sunday morning, charging him with retail theft, disorderly conduct, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, according to information released by the Miami-Dade police.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6575776

If this is true, there should be a spike in crime in these cities from January through September, and I don't think there is.

This.

Ray's comments are not only ignorant, but pretty arrogant. This is a sport that grabs our attention for a 6-hour time frame once a week. Don't include all of the analysis, fantasy football stuff, and other NFL business that happens during the week since that doesn't matter to the "type of people" Ray is referring to. It's not THAT big of a deal.

If this was baseball, then it's a different story. At least that happens every day from early April to October/November.

don't forget all the retired and former NFL players.....

Police arrested former Chicago Bears running back Garrett Wolfe in Florida early Sunday morning, charging him with retail theft, disorderly conduct, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, according to information released by the Miami-Dade police.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6575776

It all started when Wolfe refused to pay his bill at a Miami Beach nightclub.

‘‘He became aggressive while being ejected by bouncers, and two off-duty officers were summoned,’’ Miami Beach Police detective Juan Sanchez said. ‘‘They gave him the opportunity to settle his bill, and he refused. He attacked one of the officers. Both officers suffered minor

injuries.’’

Based on his mugshot, Wolfe suffered some injuries, too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/23/garrett-wolfes-misadventures-began-with-refusal-to-pay-a-bar-bill/

Well the crime rate for players is already up during this offseason. Maybe Ray should open a half-way house for those players in dire need of money so THEY won't be out roaming the city streets at night. Better yet, he could run a charity bingo hall for players in distress.

So Ray Lewis basically thinks that non-football players' lives are so incredibly empty and mundane that without NFL football to follow in the fall they will become so enraged that they will resort to committing crimes. I think that's fair.

Pretty much sums it up for me... :cry:

Do this research if we don't have a season -- watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game. -- Ray Lewis

Ray Ray knows crime......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6575570

His statement is probably quite accurate, although not in the way that he intended. I am assuming that me meant an increase in crime amongst people who watch the NFL, when the truth is probably that crime will increase amongst the people that play in the NFL. Alot of them can't seem to stay out of trouble during the off season, so I am sure they would have the same problems if there were no season. I guess Lewis just considers himself an expert at crime, since his fame and money got him out of doing some time, and probably still being in jail to this day.

I dont see think his comments were that off-base.

The NFL is THE national past time, and thats just on Sundays. Then add in all the time spent on fantasy football, and watching analysis/highlights. A LOT of people dedicate A LOT of time to the NFL. When all those people are bored and left to their own devices, I'm sure more than a few will be up to no good.

Then you have to factor in all of the gambling that surrounds the NFL. There will be a number (thousands?) of people who already operate outside the law that count on football as a means of income. They will have to find other ways of supplementing that income. What are the chances that they get a job at Arby's over simply breaking into some cars/houses?

And as most of us already know, you have the bored players to deal with too...

When you actually step back and think about what he is saying, it isnt that far-fetched of a concept. Football and sports are the modern opiate of the masses. Take away that sedative and medicine and youre bound to have some bad cases.

Edited by DrDareustein

I dont see think his comments were that off-base.

The NFL is THE national past time, and thats just on Sundays. Then add in all the time spent on fantasy football, and watching analysis/highlights. A LOT of people dedicate A LOT of time to the NFL. When all those people are bored and left to their own devices, I'm sure more than a few will be up to no good.

Then you have to factor in all of the gambling that surrounds the NFL. There will be a number (thousands?) of people who already operate outside the law that count on football as a means of income. They will have to find other ways of supplementing that income. What are the chances that they get a job at Arby's over simply breaking into some cars/houses?

And as most of us already know, you have the bored players to deal with too...

When you actually step back and think about what he is saying, it isnt that far-fetched of a concept. Football and sports are the modern opiate of the masses. Take away that sedative and medicine and youre bound to have some bad cases.

please! i am quite sure law-abiding citizens , who compliment their lives with NFL football will find other ways , (other than resort to crime), to fill the void. there is NO rationalization for the correlation you or lewis are making.. its boardline foolhardy! there is no justification for criminal activity.

Edited by dwight in philly

please! i am quite sure law-abiding citizens , who compliment their lives with NFL football will find other ways , (other than resort to crime), to fill the void. there is NO rationalization for the correlation you or lewis are making.. its boardline foolhardy! there is no justification for criminal activity.

NO ONE has said that "all football fans will turn to crime". NO ONE is talking about the "law-abiding citizens , who compliment their lives with NFL football". NO ONE has even said that there will be a "huge jump".

Why does it have to be so all or nothing with you? We're not talking about ALL football fans. Ray (and now I) were referring to the millions of already unsavory characters who will need to fill a lot of time. What's the old saying about idle hands?

You act like everyone who watches football is a good person, and think Ray is saying that we will all turn evil with no football... Cmon Man... Who is being ridiculous here?