Expect an Increase in Crime if Season is Lost

NO ONE has said that "all football fans will turn to crime". NO ONE is talking about the "law-abiding citizens , who compliment their lives with NFL football". NO ONE has even said that there will be a "huge jump".

Why does it have to be so all or nothing with you? We're not talking about ALL football fans. Ray (and now I) were referring to the millions of already unsavory characters who will need to fill a lot of time. What's the old saying about idle hands?

You act like everyone who watches football is a good person, and think Ray is saying that we will all turn evil with no football... Cmon Man... Who is being ridiculous here?

hardly!, so if the NFL does indeed miss a game and during that sunday, we should assume a percentage of crimes committed was by head cases who just cannot stand being without football. that is not what you are saying, i know, but the implication in what you are saying feeds into the presumption that there will be a ready made excuse for people unable to lawfully cope with society.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hardly!, so if the NFL does indeed miss a game and during that sunday, we should assume a percentage of crimes committed was by head cases who just cannot stand being without football. that is not what you are saying, i know, but the implication in what you are saying feeds into the presumption that there will be a ready made excuse for people unable to lawfully cope with society.

I think you need to go back, start over, and re-read what everyone is saying here. No one is excusing anything. No one is saying it's the "football withdrawal" that will cause this.

SIMPLY that, when you have a re-occurring weekly event that MILLIONS of people follow, if it goes away then a number of those people will fill their new free time with doing stupid (criminal) stuff.

How can anyone even argue against that? It's simply logic and odds.

Then, if you factor in the thousands of bookies who are ALREADY criminals, and who will need to make up for that loss of income... Do you think they're going to get legit jobs? Or do you find it at all conceivable that a few will turn to other petty (or worse) crimes?

I think you need to go back, start over, and re-read what everyone is saying here. No one is excusing anything. No one is saying it's the "football withdrawal" that will cause this.

SIMPLY that, when you have a re-occurring weekly event that MILLIONS of people follow, if it goes away then a number of those people will fill their new free time with doing stupid (criminal) stuff.

How can anyone even argue against that? It's simply logic and odds.

Then, if you factor in the thousands of bookies who are ALREADY criminals, and who will need to make up for that loss of income... Do you think they're going to get legit jobs? Or do you find it at all conceivable that a few will turn to other petty (or worse) crimes?

if your premise is correct, then we as a society are pretty pitiful and weak.

<_< You people are all idiots, Lewis is 110% correct.

As a matter of fact, if the govment really wants to crack down on crime all they have to do is get the NFL to agree to play games on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. We'll leave Saturday to the colleges.

Mark my words, this would solve the crime problem in this country.

I dont see think his comments were that off-base.

The NFL is THE national past time, and thats just on Sundays. Then add in all the time spent on fantasy football, and watching analysis/highlights. A LOT of people dedicate A LOT of time to the NFL. When all those people are bored and left to their own devices, I'm sure more than a few will be up to no good.

Then you have to factor in all of the gambling that surrounds the NFL. There will be a number (thousands?) of people who already operate outside the law that count on football as a means of income. They will have to find other ways of supplementing that income. What are the chances that they get a job at Arby's over simply breaking into some cars/houses?

And as most of us already know, you have the bored players to deal with too...

When you actually step back and think about what he is saying, it isnt that far-fetched of a concept. Football and sports are the modern opiate of the masses. Take away that sedative and medicine and youre bound to have some bad cases.

If more than a few of those people will be up to no good, wouldn't it be just as factual to say that more than a few of those people will be up to something good? Perhaps there will be an increase in charitable work or donations? Perhaps people will spend more quality time with their families or loved ones? Simple logic and odds.

As for the people that were already operating outside of the law, there is really no increase in crime overall if they just switch the crimes they were committing.

Perhaps no NFL season is what this country needs to reconnect with one another and help turn around the decline of society?

Or perhaps it's a poorly thought out statement that is currently being made into a big deal? And perhaps trying to rationalize it or defend it just as asinine as the original statement?

NO ONE has said that "all football fans will turn to crime". NO ONE is talking about the "law-abiding citizens , who compliment their lives with NFL football". NO ONE has even said that there will be a "huge jump".

Why does it have to be so all or nothing with you? We're not talking about ALL football fans. Ray (and now I) were referring to the millions of already unsavory characters who will need to fill a lot of time. What's the old saying about idle hands?

You act like everyone who watches football is a good person, and think Ray is saying that we will all turn evil with no football... Cmon Man... Who is being ridiculous here?

I seriously doubt that the thugs that commit 90% of the crimes in the country (and probably a higher percent of serious crimes) put their guns, knives and drugs down on sundays and monday nights and watch football. They are two different crowds who aren't even remotely alike. The fans that "really" care if there isn't a football season this year, will more likely be sitting home board off of their asses, doing yard work, finding another reason to drink a couple beers, go fishing, go to the beach (OK not in Buffalo), to a concert or surf the internet not pick up his semi automatic shotgun and rob a jewelry store.

Maybe if Ray is so concerned, he should work to get the other players to accept what the owners are offering, you know, for the sake of greater humanity?

As the other post stated, I first thought he was talking about all the crime the out of work players will be perpetrating.

So if I shoot someone I should do it on a Sunday and use the Ray Ray defense,

I guess :ph34r:

that is the essence of the point i was trying make.

What point? Unless the point you were making was a lame joke? Does Ray Lewis ever say it's "ok, and not that person's fault, its the league's fault"? Because that seems to be the conclusion you are all wildly jumping to.

If more than a few of those people will be up to no good, wouldn't it be just as factual to say that more than a few of those people will be up to something good? Perhaps there will be an increase in charitable work or donations? Perhaps people will spend more quality time with their families or loved ones? Simple logic and odds.

Yes! Agreed! That is MY point. He's not incorrect, because crimes WILL be committed that otherwise might not have been. It's not the NFL's fault, nor is it an excuse. It's just a simple statement that everyone seems to be upset over for some reason.

Or perhaps it's a poorly thought out statement that is currently being made into a big deal? And perhaps trying to rationalize it or defend it just as asinine as the original statement?

Agreed it is being made into a much bigger deal than the statement warrants. And maybe it's because I dont see it as that big of a statement that I can understand where he is coming from.

I think it's just as asinine to try to bash Ray or his statement in that same way.

People will have more time on their hands, so other activities (good and bad) will increase. Ray was only speaking from the perspective of the bad. Not a big deal. I doubt it will even be a blip on the statistical radar. But people acting like he's crazy for even thinking of it, arent based in reality either.

I seriously doubt that the thugs that commit 90% of the crimes in the country (and probably a higher percent of serious crimes) put their guns, knives and drugs down on sundays and monday nights and watch football. They are two different crowds who aren't even remotely alike. The fans that "really" care if there isn't a football season this year, will more likely be sitting home board off of their asses, doing yard work, finding another reason to drink a couple beers, go fishing, go to the beach (OK not in Buffalo), to a concert or surf the internet not pick up his semi automatic shotgun and rob a jewelry store.

So in your little world, people are either thugs on full-time crime sprees, or nice suburban folk. Nothing in between. Must be one or the other. Black or White. No Grey...

Ok.

So in your little world, people are either thugs on full-time crime sprees, or nice suburban folk. Nothing in between. Must be one or the other. Black or White. No Grey...

Ok.

why "grey", why not just reality?. the more i read about it on here, the more i think about, it has to rank as one of the most assinine assumptions i have heard.. "crime will increase without NFL football!".. again.. one just has to look at it from a perspective of what people of rational thinking, being, will do. anyone that goes out and holds up a liquor store because there is no NFL football has problems TOTALLY UNRELATED to the NFL.

How does pre-season football affect the crime rate?

I suppose that is when the young guys who aren't really in the gang yet (you know, like the draft picks, undrafted free agents and DEs who can't even contribute on special teams) have to commit their crimes, or the veteran gangsters will make the new guys carry their weapons to the 84 Olds Cutlass for the road portion of the regular season crime schedule.

And if the young guys get caught, they go from worrying about a lock-out, to worrying about a lock-in.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

A lot of people will be taking pay cuts if there is no football this year. Financial hardship and pressure is a leading cause of crime. Football is also a major source of entertainment for millions and a distraction from day to day struggles.

It is entirely plausible to me that some types of crime could increase if there were no football season this year. I don't think bank robberies or ponzi schemes are likely to increase in the absence of football. I would not be surprised if domestic incidents, assaults and such were to rise given a population thats a little poorer, edgier and bored. That said, there's pretty much no way to measure any changes and definitively declare that they are a direct result of "no football" so we're not likely to find out. Hopefully the lockout ends tomorrow and this whole debate becomes moot.

what impact did the MLB strike in '94 have on the crime rate in LA and Baltimore?

baseball is all but dead in inner cities in the US. SI did a story a few years ago "where are all the black baseball players?" Inner city athletes are choosing basketball or football over baseball

A lot of people will be taking pay cuts if there is no football this year. Financial hardship and pressure is a leading cause of crime. Football is also a major source of entertainment for millions and a distraction from day to day struggles.

It is entirely plausible to me that some types of crime could increase if there were no football season this year. I don't think bank robberies or ponzi schemes are likely to increase in the absence of football. I would not be surprised if domestic incidents, assaults and such were to rise given a population thats a little poorer, edgier and bored. That said, there's pretty much no way to measure any changes and definitively declare that they are a direct result of "no football" so we're not likely to find out. Hopefully the lockout ends tomorrow and this whole debate becomes moot.

The bolded is an interesting point and one I thought about a few times since this thread started. To me, it's interesting for two reasons.

First of all, they say that Super Bowl Sunday is commonly a day where reports of domestic violence spikes. It's interesting that both the biggest NFL game of the year and an absence of NFL games could possibly elicit the same behavior.

Secondly your bolded statement hits close to what Lewis was trying (unsuccessfully) to articulate… which was that the lack of NFL games would affect a small and distinct segment of the population.

He wasn't talking about the general population, NFL game attendees, or the players… he was talking about people in lower socioeconomic groups.

Do this research if we don't have a season -- watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game. -- Ray Lewis

Ray Ray knows crime......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6575570

I think that in the cities with chronically pathetic teams---like Buffalo,Cleveland,Detroit,Washington--the crime rate will go down.

Blood pressure will go down...the divorce rate will plummet...obesity will be reduced.

First of all, they say that Super Bowl Sunday is commonly a day where reports of domestic violence spikes. It's interesting that both the biggest NFL game of the year and an absence of NFL games could possibly elicit the same behavior.

So, people who have a void in their lives because there may be no Super Bowl may beat their significant others on what was to be Super Bowl Sunday, due to there being no game?

What effect did the scab games in '87 have on the crime rate? None, presumably, as people did get to see NFL football for 15 weeks, right? What happened during the missed week?

So, people who have a void in their lives because there may be no Super Bowl may beat their significant others on what was to be Super Bowl Sunday, due to there being no game?

What effect did the scab games in '87 have on the crime rate? None, presumably, as people did get to see NFL football for 15 weeks, right? What happened during the missed week?

First of all, no one said anything about a cancelled Super Bowl… I was pointing out the irony of one theory on domestic violence contradicting a different theory.

Also I was not expressing my opinion. I was trying to clarify what Ray Lewis and then Jauronimo were saying.

And what I believe they were saying (the part of my post that you didn't include) is that the theoretical increase in crime has to do with people in lower socioeconomic groups… so I'm not really understanding what 1987 has to do with anything…

It's not really clear what you're trying to say.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan