Anyone else think that Ralph isn't calling the shots

This draft was the first one in a long time where I didn't have to talk myself into likely any of our top picks. Also with the promotion of Whaley has me thinking that Ralph has given all control to Russ Brandon and he is just a figure head kind of like England. It's hard to billieve that at 93 he is making some of the best decisions in franchise history.

This draft was the first one in a long time where I didn't have to talk myself into likely any of our top picks. Also with the promotion of Whaley has mthinking that Ralph has given all control to Russ Brandone and he is just a figure head kind of like England. It's hard to billieve that at 93 he is making some of the best decisions in franchise history.

Nah, can't agree with that.

Nah, can't agree with that.

I can- it's definitely a possibility. See, Ralph trusts Russ. If he gave control to anyone, it would make sense that it be Russ since Ralph has known him for a while. Now the other part of this puzzle is that Russ know's he's not a football guy and so defers all football decisions to Chix-Whaley.

It's also possible that Ralph split power between Nix and Russ, where by Russ makes all of the business decisions and Nix makes all Football related decisions

I can- it's definitely a possibility. See, Ralph trusts Russ. If he gave control to anyone, it would make sense that it be Russ since Ralph has known him for a while. Now the other part of this puzzle is that Russ know's he's not a football guy and so defers all football decisions to Chix-Whaley.

It's also possible that Ralph split power between Nix and Russ, where by Russ makes all of the business decisions and Nix makes all Football related decisions

Brandon was given his shot...it did not go well.

I get the feeling that Brandon realized he couldn't run the team successfully, as far as the product on the field. But, I think he may excel at certain parts of the job, the more administrative parts. I give him credit for realizing, and accepting that.

I get the feeling that Brandon realized he couldn't run the team successfully, as far as the product on the field. But, I think he may excel at certain parts of the job, the more administrative parts. I give him credit for realizing, and accepting that.

Thats what I'm saying. A smart person knows their weaknesses. What is Brandon's title, COO, CEO?? Whatever it is, he's certainly higher in the food chain than Nix is. Yet it's easy to see that our draft picks were picked by some with a football mind and a plan.

Brandon clearly is the top dog in Buffalo, but he's not the guy making the football decisions. Just think, if Ralph would have had this epiphany 3-4 years ago, we'd probably be in the playoffs already!

RW set him up to fail. This league is so complex that there's no way an untrained eye can possibly do any personnel management job, and yet the owner didn't know anyone, so he turned to his most trusted deputy not named Littman.

Everyone knows the story, but no one can argue the 4 seasons of Levy/Brandon seriously hurt the franchise. So much so that they're again rebuilding for the 2nd time in 5 years.

Like in any company you think a CEO needs to employ the best people to make the company successful. You think the CEO of GM knows how to build an engine or a transmission? No but his job his the hire the best engineer to do that.(Maybe GM isn't the best example but you get the point) Russ is the CEO of the Bills, he doesn't know how to build a great football team, but he knows how to market it and keep them financially sound and he hired Nix to make football decisions. Nix isn't going to look at financial figures but he's gonna bring the best players to play football to Buffalo.

Ralph felt burned by Tom Donahoe so he was reluctant to cede control again. Hence we went through the Levy/Brandon/Jauron debacle. But I think he feels at ease with Buddy and Chan and is letting them do their jobs.

Unlike some I never believed Russ Brandon ever had a significant role in picking players.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Ralph felt burned by Tom Donahoe so he was reluctant to cede control again. Hence we went through the Levy/Brandon/Jauron debacle. But I think he feels at ease with Buddy and Chan and is getting then do their jobs.

Unlike some I never believed Russ Brandon ever had a significant role in picking players.

PTR

Brandon runs the business side which includes marketing, league committees, and administrative. The CEO title implies he is responsible for the books and for meeting costs and earnings projections. This is a business and it is run like a business.

Nix runs the football side which includes player personnel and coaches. Nix has full reign here. He is responsible for putting a quality product on the field and winning games.

The only part in question is who sets the budget ... as in the dollar amount paid to players, coaches, facilities and other staff? I still think Ralph still has final say in this capacity. Someone has to decide what the payroll looks like. Given this is true, Ralph has control of both Brandon and Nix and thus ultimate control of the team.

This should not surprise anyone.

Edited by Bob in STL

My guess is Brandon realized this himself. He was one who was saying the Bills needed to hire a "football" guy for the GM role. Nix certainly fit thatndescription. There can also now be little doubt that Whaley wasnadded to the mix to replace Nix when he is ready to step down. I certainly hope that Whaley is able to recreate the "well oiled machine" that he chose to leave.

I think this team hasn't been this stable at the top since Pollian was here !!

Buddy has got us going in the right direction , after all the moves last year dumping the excess weight of players that weren't living up to expectations & then this year with getting rid of Modrak & putting Whaley in a higher position .

How can you not see that the team is in better hands ???

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!

Buddy Nix is the best thing that has happened to this franchise in a long time.

I love him just for the colloquialisms; good football players are a bonus.

On whether it's significant for a player weighing close to 400 lbs to drop 30-40:

"It's like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic."

On whether it's significant for a player weighing close to 400 lbs to drop 30-40:

What's more is that Nix knows he's not going to be in this job long term so he's already grooming his successor.

PTR

My personal favorite so far is, with respect to the draft:

"We're all trying to rob the same train."

If he ever says that Maybin was "all hat and no cattle" he gets my vote for the Hall of Fame.

I'm not really sure Brandon ever had a significant football role. He was Dick Jauron's boss on the totem pole, but it was DJ making the draft picks, choosing free agents, and all the rest. Russ negotiated contracts and set the budget, but he was never a scout and he was never really a football guy. I don't think his role has changed much in the past two years, it's just that he now has Buddy taking responsibility for all Jauron's non-coaching roles.

I agree--but, I still think Ralph has his say!

From what I've seen is Ralph feels comfortable enough to let Chix do their thing. As for Brandon...he's a great guy, smart--but is still learning the ropes on the football personel side. I've meet him several times and been to a few luncheons when my mom did pr work... what I've seen is he's passionate about this team and I know wants it to succeed! He's a marketing guru--who has helped mastermind expanding the fan base in Southern Ontario and headed the T.O. signing--which both has made alot of mullah...even though T.O. was only here for one season. Give him sometime to flurrish--I think he's doing a decent job so far! Overall, the man has done alot of other things behind the scenes over the last 8+ years and the majority of all he's worked on has been a success!

Things are going to be different in the next several years ahead...I've heard rumblings Ralph had trouble walking while he was in Buffalo for the Dareus conference--and his health has deteriorated some this past several months...he's a pretty bad*ss dude for being in his 90's and doing what he's doing!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Ralph chose Buffalo and we can never thank him enough for that. At 93 he is still learning. Whats wrong with that? Nix is just a great choice and I can only believe he will lead us going forward. Thank you Ralph.