How satisfied are you?

I apologize if something like this has been posted but with rounds one through seven all done, how do you feel overall about our draft?

I am happy. Maybe a OL in round 3 but I cant complain

I am very satisfied with the draft overall. We addressed many of our needs along with taking picks of great value. This is the first draft in a long time where I came out not thinking the front office was a bunch of buffoons.

I am very satisfied with the draft overall. We addressed many of our needs along with taking picks of great value. This is the first draft in a long time where I came out not thinking the front office was a bunch of buffoons.

It has been a while hasn't it?

I wanted a draft that focused heavily on defense, and that's what we got. I'm very happy. It would have been nice to have picked up either Dalton or Kapernick, but no biggie.

So, the way the headings work on the main page - all I saw was How satisfied are you? With the draft overall?

Which had me here prepared to answer a VERY different question... B-)

Yeah - I'm satisfied... with the draft also.

As with many here - I was disappointed to see more DB's and less LB's, but I like Sheppard - if he works out well this was a great draft. And as other threads have discussed - DB was a need. I had argued before the draft that people should not freak out if they got Peterson at #3. I'm happier with Dareus, of course.

Would have liked a TE prospect.

B+ Will be an A+ if Sheppard is a team captain when it's really time to evaluate the draft which is three years later.

Edited by BobChalmers

I apologize if something like this has been posted but with rounds one through seven all done, how do you feel overall about our draft?

Overall, I am happy with the positions we picked and based on the player profiles, of the picks themselves. I would have been happier with an OL pick in round #2 or #3 but perhaps there wasn't sufficient value to be had. In general, one OL or TE in place of a DB.

(which reminds me to eat some crow cos I had predicted our draft will be tilted towards the O and boy was I wrong !)

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Pretty happy overall. Dareus alone makes this draft a win in my book. Very pleased with the Sheppard pick as well, and like everyone else, I'm way over-excited about a guy we got at the end of the 7th round. (Although I was also excited about getting Steve Johnson in the 7th, so it's not like we're ALWAYS wrong.) Drafting 3 DB's (2 pretty high) bummed me out a bit, but I'll live with it. It's not nearly as egregious as the Spiller pick last year. I would've preferred more attention to the O-line, and maybe a bit earlier than the 4th round as well, but at least they took a tackle before the 5th round (first time since Mike Williams). I don't mind the lack of a QB, because I disliked every one in this draft. I wouldn't have minded a pass-rusher in the 2nd or 3rd, but I guess the plan is to see if Merriman can come back (or one of the young guys develops, or Kelsay finds a genie who grants him 3 wishes), and if he doesn't, then make pass-rusher a prime need next year. And I'll admit, that idea has some merit. Moats, Coleman, and Batten (assuming he gets moved back outside) need PT to see if they can play or not, just like Steve Johnson & James Hardy needed PT to see if they could play or not.

On the whole, we look to have done a lot less reaching than last year, which is a great sign.

Where the Bills of the last decade have fallen short is in the first 4 rounds...you just have to get players in these positions who are going to become solid contributors to the team. I feel as though the 5 players selected this year all have a great opportunity to do that, so I'm "happy" with the draft at this point. Jasper the Giant is very intriguing as well.

I'm more interested, though, in the Y1 to Y2 transition of Spiller, Troup, Carrington, and Easley...we didn't really get any production out of these guys and I'd like to see some significant progress. They need to be a part of the core that's going to carry this team forward.

Where the Bills of the last decade have fallen short is in the first 4 rounds...you just have to get players in these positions who are going to become solid contributors to the team. I feel as though the 5 players selected this year all have a great opportunity to do that, so I'm "happy" with the draft at this point. Jasper the Giant is very intriguing as well.

I'm more interested, though, in the Y1 to Y2 transition of Spiller, Troup, Carrington, and Easley...we didn't really get any production out of these guys and I'd like to see some significant progress. They need to be a part of the core that's going to carry this team forward.

My favorite Marv Levy phrase: "The best rookies are last year's rookies"

We need each of the 4 guys you listed to make a big step forward.

Well said. Our top 4 picks last year didn't contribute much, if at all last year. I look for all 4 of them to play major roles this season. If 3 of them can play well, plus good contributions from our picks this season, I think we can look forward to turning the corner in a year or 2. Next year, hopefully we can land our qb of the future, or if Fitz shows he can be that guy, we can focus our top picks on LT, OLB (unless our current guys breakout and show they can be stars) and TE. It would be nice to be able to focus on drafting bpa, as opposed to drafting positions of "need" with every pick.

Not to mention Moats, Nelson, and even Batten if we're gonna expect anything from Easley. No one (sorry Moats fans)aside from Nelson was a statistical contributor last season. I've got a weird hunch though this draft will end up being pretty solid. Some production this season will go a long way in making me not look like an idiot...

I am pleased with the draft overall. I was disappointed we could not grab Ponder in the 2nd or 3rd round. But when Minnesota snapped him up at #12 there went our best quarterback prospect. I am glad they did reach for another one. I am most impressed by our last pick Michael Jasper. He has trimmed down and he is still huge. And, for a big guy he is fast. I would not be surprised if he plays on field next year.

Did we get everything solved? Of course not. Did the Bills get every player they wanted? No they didn't. As Gailey said, "We didn't get the top 9 players." (Coach humor). And as Buddy says, they won't let us draft more than 9 players. With that said, it was overall an excellent draft. It fixed the area of greatest need while adding some depth at RB and on the line. Four of these guys should be near-day one starters, which would be tremendous. The offense is immediately improved by a defense that should get more 3-and-outs. That means less scoring by the opponent's offense which means the Bills shouldn't be playing from behind nearly as much (which means less desperate passing with all that can go wrong with that).

If Easley, Batten, Wang and Merriman come through, the Bills could seriously scare other teams this coming season.

Edited by yungmack

So, the way the headings work on the main page - all I saw was How satisfied are you? With the draft overall?

Which had me here prepared to answer a VERY different question... B-)

Yeah - I'm satisfied... with the draft also.

As with many here - I was disappointed to see more DB's and less LB's, but I like Sheppard - if he works out well this was a great draft. And as other threads have discussed - DB was a need. I had argued before the draft that people should not freak out if they got Peterson at #3. I'm happier with Dareus, of course.

Would have liked a TE prospect.

B+ Will be an A+ if Sheppard is a team captain when it's really time to evaluate the draft which is three years later.

I think having quality second QB trumps many other needs. What happens if Fitz goes down? If the Bills didn't think much of Kaepernick then pick the CB. If he was rated close to Ponder and if they would have taken him there then QB trumps CB (in my opinion). San Fran. sure felt good enough about the guy to trade away 3 picks for the chance to move up 9 slots. If Kaepernick turns out to be a really good player down the line then I will be disappointed the bills went with a CB they had higher on their board.

I think having quality second QB trumps many other needs. What happens if Fitz goes down? If the Bills didn't think much of Kaepernick then pick the CB. If he was rated close to Ponder and if they would have taken him there then QB trumps CB (in my opinion). San Fran. sure felt good enough about the guy to trade away 3 picks for the chance to move up 9 slots. If Kaepernick turns out to be a really good player down the line then I will be disappointed the bills went with a CB they had higher on their board.

Very happy with the approach and the picks. Hope we can get at least a few of these, TE Charlie Gantt, another OL, QB Pat Devlin, DB Kendric Burney, and\or LB Mark Herzlich off of the UDFA list. I think we will have a good shot at getting a better QB of the future in the 2012 draft and think this was\is the plan all along. They are rebuilding the right way and as others have said, if we can have some of last years rookies turn the corner and "get it" and start producing on the field then this team will be on the rise very soon.

Only time will tell, I just hope they have a season to watch.

They picked-up a decent RT prospect in round 4. I was thinking TE, but after looking at it again, the TE class was poor, they might still be high on Shawn Nelson and Scott Chandler, and there are several top FA TE's, when the FA market opens.

As for QB, this was also a weak class and no one the Bills could have picked would have done better than Fitz. Might as well continue to develop Fitz and Brown, and sign an UDFA QB.

They picked-up a decent RT prospect in round 4. I was thinking TE, but after looking at it again, the TE class was poor, they might still be high on Shawn Nelson and Scott Chandler, and there are several top FA TE's, when the FA market opens.

As for QB, this was also a weak class and no one the Bills could have picked would have done better than Fitz. Might as well continue to develop Fitz and Brown, and sign an UDFA QB.

If Shawn Nelson can stay healthy and learn how to block, he might be all we need. The kid has already shown some flashes.