Whitner Tweets: Thinks he's gone?

scribo

I was annoyed at his tweets til I saw the slurry of classless tweets that Bills fans sent to him throughout the draft.

Here are a few:

"Thank u donte! Now u can take a hike! Finally we got players who make plays"

"I know right, great draft...almost makes me forget you were picked 8th."

"Dude chage ur profile pic u don't play for us anymore. Byrd and wilson baby! No more all I do is talk whitner"

I mean if you don't like the guy then don't like him. There's just no reason to kick a guy when he's obviously a little upset. Yes, he made unrealistic demands and yes he acted immaturely, but why do some people have to be such classless fans.

agreed. some fans are just classless. No one on this board stoops down to that level though right :) Whitner didn't exactly endear himself to many here with his tweets but some fans can take it too far as well.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO ONE is blaming Whitner for the TEAM being terrible...They are blaming Whitner for Whitner being terrible...There's a BIG, big difference there...And no he did not leave it all on the field...Unless you mean missed tackles and bad angles...He left a few of those out there...Off the Field he was clearly an outspoken Player who welcomed the attention and wanted to be known as the Leader of that Defense even though he rarely played like a Leader...Then on top of it all he wants to be paid like one of the best Safeties in the League???

I promise you I LOVE The Buffalo Bills and I normally defend their Players to an extreem...If someone said something negative about Freddie Jackson or Kyle Williams to me I'd probably deck em' :lol: But Donte? I'm done with that guy...It's not his fault he was Drafted 2 Rounds higher than he should have been...But I'm hoping it's time to move on from the Whitner era at SS for the Buffalo Bills...And I wish him all the luck in the world elsewhere... B-)

I agree that in hindsight he was drafted too high, which by itself is not much different than drafting say McCargo or Maybin, but people have less tolerance for players that make it on the field like Whitner, than two players who might not even dress for a game and take up roster spots.

Haters gonna hate I guess. Dude gave us all he had, and played anywhere we asked him to, without complaint. Makes me sick to think we were once considered the best fans in the league.

:thumbsup:

I am not going to say that Bills fans are worse than other fans, but fans in general kinda suck, when it comes to this stuff. Fans want football players to play with passion and emotion. The minute they show that emotion in a forum we don't feel is appropriate, we eat them up like sharks. We want them to be balls to the walls, go all out, on the field, but crucify them for being emotional off the field. They are only human folks...it doesn't matter how much money they make.

We better resign him. I know he catches a lot of heat around here, but I consider him the number one priority. Then a close second, Poz. I know neither of these guys are wow players, but they play a solid role and they contribute more than we give them credit for.

I want them both back too. I think the rest of the d will drop off a bit without them and they both although a bit to the middling are decent players. About his tweeting, ehh so what? Takes all kinds, I don't have to like a player very much personally to watch them play a sport. It is all just emotional BS. I get emotional about what they do on the field. Off, phhht not so much.

OJ always had a big ego (even before he was good he shot his mouth off a bit) but he turned a corner and presto magic he was beloved by all. I have some excuses for both our safeties last year a. new system that demanded a different style of play and apparently was a lot harder to understand or something. b. what was in front of them. c. coaching, I wannastach see him coached better. He may actually be better than we know. Look at the difference with Fitz and he had a crap offensive line and arguably a worse set of receivers, the coaching made a difference.

His past play too we didn't really have a good d for him to play on and he always stepped in where ever they needed him. He wanted to succeed here and it was a tough place to be. I am not saying DW is great or should get a lotta money from anyone but put him on the Jets.....he may shine and get paid. His style of play actually reminds me a bit of Leanord and always did (but honestly he is better). In other words it is not my money, if he is back I think we are better for it Poz too. One last thought. damn I wish we had Ngata, does he tweet?

For those who argue that Whitner is a victim in this twitter thing I offer a rebuttal:

Nobody told him he had to sign up on twitter and make it a public account. Twitter has privacy options. He chooses to interact with the fans. For every fan who tells him he sucks and to leave Buffalo etc., there are a dozen who kiss his ass and tell him he's awesome, how much they'd like to meet him, not to pay attention to the haters,"Can I have an autograph.?" etc. There are always going to be idiots who try to antagonize celebrities & athletes, but it doesn't mean you can paint an entire fan base or region as "classless." If he were mature, he'd ignore, or block, the stupid fans; but he's a child and needs his ego stoked by all the ass kissers... and in the process he has his fragile ego hurt by the moron fans who want to get his attention( like boxing with P. Moran). This doesn't say anything about Buffalo fans at all; it indicates that Whitner is an immature man who can't ignore other immature men/women...

For those who argue that Whitner is a victim in this twitter thing I offer a rebuttal:

Nobody told him he had to sign up on twitter and make it a public account. Twitter has privacy options. He chooses to interact with the fans. For every fan who tells him he sucks and to leave Buffalo etc., there are a dozen who kiss his ass and tell him he's awesome, how much they'd like to meet him, not to pay attention to the haters,"Can I have an autograph.?" etc. There are always going to be idiots who try to antagonize celebrities & athletes, but it doesn't mean you can paint an entire fan base or region as "classless." If he were mature, he'd ignore, or block, the stupid fans; but he's a child and needs his ego stoked by all the ass kissers... and in the process he has his fragile ego hurt by the moron fans who want to get his attention( like boxing with P. Moran). This doesn't say anything about Buffalo fans at all; it indicates that Whitner is an immature man who can't ignore other immature men/women...

WOW. I cannot believe I am seeing this. The day has come were players argue with fans and they do it from hundreds of miles away from each other.

I am one of the few that does not think Donte is a bad player. He is good safety, a bit weak covering the top TEs, but overall a useful player to have. I do not persecute him for being drafted too high. That is not his fault. He is not a Pro Bowler or a difference maker but I think he plays hard and helps the team.

I am appalled that he sends these ridiculous Twitter messages out that show him to be so childish. Donte, if you are reading this please take this advice. Stop taking yourself down to the level of the knuckleheads. You act like a child. Rise up and elevate yourself. Turn off the Twitter. Why do you need to get the last word? Grow up.

If I owned the Bills I would make them all turn off Twitter.

I am one of the few that does not think Donte is a bad player. He is good safety, a bit weak covering the top TEs, but overall a useful player to have. I do not persecute him for being drafted too high. That is not his fault. He is not a Pro Bowler or a difference maker but I think he plays hard and helps the team.

The problem isn't that he posts in twitter or that twitter isn't taken away from him. He is a good football player, but he's hindered by a lack of mental fortitude. In the past players were shielded from this, but given the podium of twitter, he's able to broadcast his inability to cope with the mental stress of the game to all of the fans. I'm ok with him being drafted where he was, I dislike Donte because while he hypes a lot, he lacks the discipline to control himself.

These latest twitter escapades have defined his shortcoming as a football player. He can't put other things out of his mind and play ball. This fits in with Buddy's comment about players who have played in big games and aren't phased. There's a lot of talk about his 'passion' and team loyalty, but he's going to go to another team and say all kinds of wonderful things and make all the same promises he made here. Then he's going to have a bad game and a fan is going to say something and he's going to be unable to right the ship.

It's a more mild case of Vince Young syndrome.

Twitter is a mecca for narcissistic idiots who need affirmation and attention for everything they do. It's glorious right up to the point that their fans turn on them.

As for Whitner, I could care less if he leaves. Can someone remind me the last time "Twhitner " made a play that made any difference. When you're picked eighth you're supposed to be a gamebreaker. Whitner is an average safety who makes 2 plays a season. His salary is better spent elsewhere.

Twitter is a mecca for narcissistic idiots who need affirmation and attention for everything they do. It's glorious right up to the point that their fans turn on them.

As for Whitner, I could care less if he leaves. Can someone remind me the last time "Twhitner " made a play that made any difference. When you're picked eighth you're supposed to be a gamebreaker. Whitner is an average safety who makes 2 plays a season. His salary is better spent elsewhere.

I've been seeking the right words to characterize this recent fad -- thank you for providing them. I hope you don't mind if I use this as a sig.

Fair enough, but you're actually blaming him here for where he was drafted. To reiterate what many have said here: being drafted at #8 was not his fault. It was someone else's.

I agree that in hindsight he was drafted too high, which by itself is not much different than drafting say McCargo or Maybin, but people have less tolerance for players that make it on the field like Whitner, than two players who might not even dress for a game and take up roster spots.

I haven't seen a lot of tolerance for Maybin around here.

If McCargo made noise he'd draw heat.

Fair enough, but you're actually blaming him here for where he was drafted. To reiterate what many have said here: being drafted at #8 was not his fault. It was someone else's.

I'm not blaming him for that or for the quality of his play (which is adequate for a starter). I'm blaming him for publicly acting like a child instead of acting like man and a good teammate.

I always hear about how much this jerkoff 'cares' about the Bills and winning. Bullsh--. What kind of leader would ever cry in public over his team's draft picks --- and for absolutely no benefit other than to bring attention to himself. Did Alex Smith or David Garrard start whining in public because their teams drafted QBs?

Donte Whitner is a selfish a-hole and part of the losing culture in Buffalo and the sooner he is gone the better.