All Newton all the time

RichardBag

Absolutely false, and you are making that up. There are a number of athletes that have committed worse crimes. There are a LARGE number of athletes that get "paid to play", and it's been happening since AT LEAST the 1970s. Most of our heros from the 80s were paid to play. As anyone can tell you, Eric Dickerson took a PAY CUT when he left SMU and went to the NFL.

This was not the "dirtiest" kid, this was the most publicized kid. Big difference.

Come on--Newton stole, committed academic fraud (stole someone's paper), and tried to extort money in a pay for play scheme.

That's a trifecta that no other kid you can name has hit.

And your claim about Dickerson's "pay cut" is laughable--and widely (almost, I guess) regarded as a joke to highlite the crazy money these boosters were paying some kids. He signed a 4 year 2.2 million contract that was paying him 350,000 his third year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I see is a guy who got thrown out of Florida for academic laziness, cheating, and theft, then went on to be a dominant QB for one year in a small-time junior college environment, then enabled his dad to earn a nice bit of $$scratch$$ by choosing Auburn - where a superior program, excellent coaching, and a stellar supporting cast allowed him to shine for one season on real NCAA (Div 1-A FBS) team, after which he instantly abandoned his team and the program and hired a team of agents, lawyers, and PR consultants to enable him to 'cash in' quickly for the maximum financial gain...

So what's not to like? :unsure:

Who wouldn't burn a high first round pick and knock over anyone in their way to hand a $50M contract to a kid like that??

What I see is a guy who was eligible to play last year by the NCAA. Who scored a ridiculous 51 TD last year, Won the national championship. Won the Heisman trophy. Since that time he has done all of the right things immage wise. It is past time for the Bills to bring in a winner. Does he want to make every dollar possible Yeah I think he does. This is the American way. Capitalism at its best. He is just trying to capitilize on it. If my fellow posters do not see that the kid is a flat out winner, and the biggest mistake the Bills could make is not drafting this kid. It is time for us to put pressure on opposing teams. By all means keep Fitz. Let him be a part of this team for the next 10 yrs also. Just please pick the special athlete and the most dynamic player in this draft.

Trade our #3 for Tim freakin' Tebow???? Really? Has this board gone crackerdogs? Let's all take a deep breath and back away from the keyboard. Tebow's going to have a Jim McMahon type of career. People will like him and root for him but he's just not that talented. If all the stars align, he may have a chance at the big game, but not because of what he brings to the table. Keep our pick and let's continue our discussion on Cam VS. Defense at #3.

Wow. Way to make things up.

1.) UF did not throw him out. He transfered when Tebow made his decision to stay for another year

2.) He did not steal anything. He purchased a stolen laptop and as far as I know, there is no proof that he knew it was stolen

3.) No proof has been found that Auburn paid Cam or his father any money.

4.) Superior program? Auburn has not been a superior program since Bo Jackson left almost 20 years ago.

Get real. There are plenty of questions marks surrounding Newton and plenty of reasons not to want the Bills to take him at 3, but you shouldn't just make things up.

The glove does not fit! You must acquit!!

I too, hope we draft Cam #3.

Don't waste your time worrying about Cam Newton he will likely go number one overall. Not my call a guy by the name of Gil Brandt said he would be "shocked", if Newton did not go number one in the draft. This was reported by Pro Football Talk.com

But what does Gil Brandt know?

Awwww, stop pouring sour milk on my flutie flakes :wallbash:

You provide some great comedy in slagging every QB prospect. Need I remind you that the savior you annointed last year, Graham Harrell, got released 2-3x (including by a CFL team) and is now the 4th QB/tackling dummy on GB?

:lol:

Speaking of comedy, you just provided some of slapstick of your own!

Just to set the facts straight, Harrell wasn't released at all, by ANY team, unless you refer to getting cut by Cleveland after a tryout. He asked for his release in Saskatchewan to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL, where he now sports a Superbowl ring is likely about to be promoted from third string QB to Aaron Rogers backup...

Where Is Matt Flynn Most Valuable To The Packers?

I would not be upset with Newton at #3, especially if he looks good at the combine/workouts.

If we are going to pick a QB this draft (and I dont think we need to), that is the only pick I'd want. Simply because he's the only one with any potential to be better than Fitz. Anyone else is going to be just as good as Fitz, and that's not so shabby, but we already have that. For example, picking Dalton in the 3rd or 4th. He'll be a project (just like Newton), and after 3 years of grooming he'll be just as good as Fitz is now. Great.

I honestly have no problem with the FO planning on sticking with Fitz for the next 3-4 years. But if they are looking for a franchise QB, get the one with Hall of Fame potential. Anything else (later) is just a wasted pick.

+1 Dank. If no Newton, or Gabbert (if he shows up well throughout the process) go hot and heavy on defense. And if it is a QB in round 1 go hot and heavy on defense in the next six rounds. LoL

Edited by purple haze

Just to set the facts straight, Harrell wasn't released at all, by ANY team, unless you refer to getting cut by Cleveland after a tryout. He asked for his release in Saskatchewan to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL, where he now sports a Superbowl ring is likely about to be promoted from third string QB to Aaron Rogers backup...

and the packers might just know a thing or two about signal callers,

Edited by Fig Newton

Per Peter King Tweet, from conversation he had with Newton this afternoon:

@SI_PeterKing

Peter King

Newton: "I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.'' Ron Rivera, Chan Gailey, John Harbaugh blanch.

For anyone that hated TO, it looks like Newton may be of the same ilk.

i know this is crazy, but would you rather trade maybe two picks for tebow, keep the 1st for somebody who is a better choice then cam? then you can have a one year qb behind fitzy, train him a little more, and worry about our defense.

im sure i will get laughed about this, but i just think tebow is better then cam.

A better question is who is worth more, Kevin Kolb, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, or another QB in the draft? If you say Kevin Kolb is a better QB then why wouldn't you trade Phili for him?

Cam Newton nor Locker are better then Kolb who is, in effect, cheaper.

I see, my apologies. So our future QB went undrafted, was passed over by the Browns as an undrafted free agent, signed with the Roughriders, left the Roughriders to be a GA with OKST and then finally got picked up as a 25 year old prodigy and now has reached Matt Cassell status, as future starting QB in waiting behind an All-Pro. Got it..

Yeah....you haven't knock Newton off the board yet.

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

A better question is who is worth more, Kevin Kolb, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, or another QB in the draft? If you say Kevin Kolb is a better QB then why wouldn't you trade Phili for him?

Cam Newton nor Locker are better then Kolb who is, in effect, cheaper.

Newton is not better than Kolb right now.

Newton (if chosen by the Bills and studying under Gailey) will be as good as Kolb by 2012, and better than Kolb in 2013.

The same Kolb who lost his starting position to a "run first QB who just learned to throw from the pocket". Where Cam is a pocket QB that can run better than most.

I see, my apologies. So our future QB went undrafted, was passed over by the Browns as an undrafted free agent, signed with the Roughriders, left the Roughriders to be a GA with OKST and then finally got picked up as a 25 year old prodigy and now has reached Matt Cassell status, as future starting QB in waiting behind an All-Pro. Got it..

Yes, I think you have....finally

(Only thing GH is missing now, before his ascendancy to greatness and Canton, is maybe a short stint as a bag-boy at a HYVEE grocery store :nana: )