All Newton all the time

RichardBag

Occam's razor (a principle that suggests we should tend towards simpler theories until we can trade some simplicity for increased explanatory power) says they are considering Newton.

My personal opinion is all this talk of smokescreens is a bit beyond Buddy and Chan.

This sounds like something a typical code monkey would say...LOL.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think if Cam Newton is available when the Bills' first turn comes up, Nix will waste no time in drafting him.

The Bills have been building for this type of offense since last year. With Spillers, Jackson, Evans and Johnson, the spread might just work.

I am not saying I want the Bills to pick Newton, but I think they will.

by the way that Buddy has raved about Newton and the fact that Gailey believes that mobile QBs are the future, this dinner with Newton AND his agents should not be taken as insignificant. They are going to take Newton if they get the chance, you may as well start getting used to that.

Most likely the top 5 picks in this draft will be (in no particular order):

1) Newton

2) Peterson

3) Dareus

4) Bowers

5) AJ Green

If you remember last year's draft, everybody raved about Suh and how he was a lock to be the #1 pick until everybody woke up and realized that St. Louis didn't have a QB so they picked the QB and everything else fell into place. The Panthers this year are in a similar situation. IMHO I think the Bills and Panthers actually work a deal for the #1 pick and I think Carolina will move out because if they don't they'll have to pick Newton. Again IMHO I think privately they're prepared to go into next season with Clausen/Moore as the QB depth chart but I don't think they're prepared to defend picking a DL over QB to their fans which they would prefer. Trading out of #1 makes that easier.

Barring a trade I think Newton goes #1 to Carolina and Peterson goes #2 to Denver meaning that everybody here who wants a DL will get their wish. I would bet dollars to donuts that Newton and Peterson are 1 & 2 on the Bills wish list though.

I would be shocked if Newton does not go in the top three. He would have to pull a Rothlesberger to fall out of the top five. Newton is the most talented football player to come out of the draft in many years.

Does anyone think that Carolina would like to spend a 4th draft pick on a QB in the last 2 years, or would they like to develop their defense first? Last year they drafted Clausen, Pike, and Armanti Edwards and now they have Ron Rivera as HC as a franchise looking to replace the production lost from Julius Peppers.

I know it is a new regime, but it is also potential franchise suicide to allocate a 4th pick to the QB position. Considering the Panthers didn't have a 1st round pick in last years draft, and no second pick in this year's draft, they are going to have to make sure they get a player that can contribute now, because they are more than likely going to be picking at the top of the draft next year where they may be in better position to draft a QB after they assess whether or not Clausen has what it takes.

I don't think they go QB #1 overall based on this.

Does anyone think that Carolina would like to spend a 4th draft pick on a QB in the last 2 years, or would they like to develop their defense first? Last year they drafted Clausen, Pike, and Armanti Edwards and now they have Ron Rivera as HC as a franchise looking to replace the production lost from Julius Peppers.

I know it is a new regime, but it is also potential franchise suicide to allocate a 4th pick to the QB position. Considering the Panthers didn't have a 1st round pick in last years draft, and no second pick in this year's draft, they are going to have to make sure they get a player that can contribute now, because they are more than likely going to be picking at the top of the draft next year where they may be in better position to draft a QB after they assess whether or not Clausen has what it takes.

I don't think they go QB #1 overall based on this.

The only problem with your argument is that the previous 3 QB picks were made by the John Fox regime. Ron Rivera has no loyalty to any of those QBs, and won't be held accountable for their failures. Plus, since it's Rivera's first year on the job, he's not under a ton of pressure to win this year, so he does have the luxury of drafting for the future in 2011. If John Fox hadn't gotten fired, I think a defensive pick or AJ Green would've been a mortal lock. But under Rivera, I could see them going any direction, including QB.

I think it's you can't tip your hand, man. As in, don't hold your hand of cards

so that others can see them. Tipping your hat is a polite gesture.

I tip my hat to you for seeing the error I made in not saying "tip your hand". ;)

...but in my defense, I was well into the wine and in a hurry to get ready for dart night with the boys!

I would be shocked if Newton does not go in the top three. He would have to pull a Rothlesberger to fall out of the top five. Newton is the most talented football player athlete to come out of the draft in many years.

Fixed

Weather he can play in the NFL has yet to be determined.

Edited by MikeSpeed

Kiper says he’s spoken to people he “trusts” in the league, and came away feeling that Newton isn’t necessarily on Buffalo’s radar.

“(Ryan) Fitzpatrick, to me, was a very good quarterback,” Kiper insisted. Fitzpatrick, on his third NFL team at age 28, started 13 games last season and went 4-9.

Kiper predicted that one of this year’s elite quarterback prospects (Newton, Blaine Gabbert) would almost certainly be available for the Bills. But if Buffalo decided to pick between the two, Kiper wouldn’t expect it to be Newton. And that’s why he’s adjusted his latest mock draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/09/kiper-calls-newton-one-year-wonder-like-akili-smith/

That being said, here's how I see the first three picks...

1. Newton/Panthers (I said it over a month ago and still stand by it)

2. Dareus/Broncos (Fox is the head coach...Dareus is the pick)

3. Peterson/Bills (I know it sucks, but too many questions on the other players being considered)

I cannot tell you how much damage this would do to the franchise. Aside from not winning us games, it would turn off fans, or at the very least fail to draw them.

Additionally, how incredibly stupid would it be to make a rookie cornerback the highest paid player on this football team?

I would be fully shocked if the Bills do not draft a quarterback at #3. And if they don't, they need to grab Fairley or Darreus because they are a small, weak football team. Peterson would serve to keep them a farm team, and be just another episode of the first round defensive back merry go-round.

This time, Ralph won't allow something this stupid because it would cost him millions.

And how do you know that Brandt and others in similar positions aren't somehow being financially rewarded for talking up certain players?? Wouldn't at all surprise me to see these guys get some type of thank you, maybe not cash, but maybe a cruse or something??

Every year there's someone who prior to the draft is being talked way up, but then falls way down in the actual draft. So apparently the GM's are much less impressed with these guys. Can't recall any of these guys becoming sensations either that the GM's didn't expect so seems to me the GM's have a better hanlde on things.

Thanks for the link, man.

People think that this is a smokescreen but after reading that article I think that people are going to be in for a big surprise. Gil Brandt has gone on record back in February proclaiming that Newton should be the #1 pick and now we have our staff huddling up with him. There's no doubt in my mind that Brandt is still singing the praises about Newton, especially that the article ends with Brandt stating that he expects the Panthers to take Newton #1. I'm going to allow myself to start thinking about a possible trade up for the Bills.

I cannot tell you how much damage this would do to the franchise. Aside from not winning us games, it would turn off fans, or at the very least fail to draw them.

Additionally, how incredibly stupid would it be to make a rookie cornerback the highest paid player on this football team?

I would be fully shocked if the Bills do not draft a quarterback at #3. And if they don't, they need to grab Fairley or Darreus because they are a small, weak football team. Peterson would serve to keep them a farm team, and be just another episode of the first round defensive back merry go-round.

This time, Ralph won't allow something this stupid because it would cost him millions.

agreed, and I hope you are correct.

Its the main story on Buffalo Rumblings. Cant say Im too happy about it, I think he is gonna bust, but at least it would be more entertaining. Id like to see what Gailey dreams up with this HB/QB hybrid. I think its very likely that we take Newton, because the Bills clearly went after Tebow hard last year and with Gaileys comments, I think he wants to run a full-bore college spread offense.

Not sure I care anymore. Go ahead, take him. Create big buzz. Sell lots of season tickets. Maybe the Canadians get off their hands for the Toronto game. Who knows. Gailey wants a mobile guy who has no fear. If he wants to go Pistol offense big time, Kaepernick is the guy as he has lived it for 4 years with the guy who invented it at U Nevada. Really fun to watch and the Bills barely use it. It will get guys killed at the NFL level, but very fun to watch.

And how do you know that Brandt and others in similar positions aren't somehow being financially rewarded for talking up certain players?? Wouldn't at all surprise me to see these guys get some type of thank you, maybe not cash, but maybe a cruse or something??

Do you know who Gil Brandt is? If so you wouldn't even make this reference. The guy is simply the best at talent evaluations and is HIGHLY respected in football circles.

If given a choice between Fairley and Peterson, I could see the Bills (not me necessarily) picking the sure fire player over the guy many question could lose all motivation when he starts getting paid. For some strange reason, defensive lineman in the top ten are just as hard to predict as QBs. There seems to be a high propensity of DLs who bust.

Miller looks one dimensional with a big bust factor.

I'd give Quinn as a possibility at #3, but that's a risky move taking him over a player like Peterson.

This draft is already crazy! Too many players, too many scenarios.

:thumbsup:

You said it, man. This draft is killing me. I hope we never end up in the top 5 again!

I was thinking about this today, Carolina has no 2nd round pick and there's a bunch of teams behind them that could fall in love with Newton so much so that even Miami could be in the mix to go after Newton in the number one slot! Could you image...

I've never seen a draft with so much suspense in what will happen in the first part of the first round...LOL

Edited by 1billsfan