All Newton all the time

RichardBag

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was willing to give Newton a chance but he is a 3 year developmental project at best- his foot work is bad, and probably related his accuracy is poor, if Gabbert throws well on his pro-day then he is the 1st QB taken- I'd take Newton a couple picks higher if he said he's willing to play TE.

I'm not so sure. He was unimpressive at the combine with his footwork and throwing, reportedly defensive in his interviws, red flags in terms of character and has only attepted 280 passes at the collegiate level.

Tebow was a part of two national championship teams in 4 years and his intangibles and leadership was off the charts. And the biggest difference IMO was no red flags, Tebow wanted to be the best ever and he was going to work that hard to do it, Newton appears to want to be a celebrity more than a player and that will scare teams away

Tebow had no red flags? He couldnt even throw the ball acceptably. There was talk of him only being used as an H-back. In 2008, the year he won the Championship, he had a total of 298 pass attempts. The only thing Tebow had that Cam doesnt was multiple years (even though it was multiple years of doing the exact same thing with no improvement on his throwing).

Cam has some red flags about attitude. Tebow had red flags about throwing.

Id put them about equal going into their drafts.

And Sully will be the first to pile on the Bills after his 1st TD pass for another team or interception if he plays for the Bills. Complete negative dumbass.

Exactly. He's lost any cred he might have had. Anyone can play the bad cop sportswriter. Hire one of the nattering nabobs of negativity from TBD!

In his chat last Friday, Sully said that there was a double standard about Newton.

Sully said that no one had a problem with Sanchez and Leinart being divas, but they have a problem with Newton being a diva. He stated that he thought race was part of the equation for the double standard.

What Sully didn't mention in the chat (but glosses over in his article) was anything about Newton's "hat trick" of concerns…the cheating scandal…the stolen laptop scandal, and the pay-for-play scandal. He chalks these up to "youthful indiscretions" as if they were the equivalent of Newton drinking too much and barfing up in a Taco Bell at 1 am.

In my recollection, neither Sanchez or Leinart had these blemishes (actually scandals) on their records.

So again, IMO, Sully is either being dishonest in his framing of the issues or he's being lazy in his thinking.

His central point is that the Bills don't have a franchise qb on this rebuilding roster. His view is that if Newton or any other prospect is rated as a legitimate prospect the team should seize the opportunity while they are in position to do so.

Although he favors Newton (using him as a lightening rod) that really isn't the issue. His view, as is mine, is that it is improbable for any team to seriously contend (for the Bills--in the long run) without the qb position well staffed.

The majority of posters believe that using the first pick on a defensive player will more quickly improve the team. I agree with that very reasonable assessment. But I'm not fixated on the short term as much as taking a longer term rebuilding view which requires a legitimate franchise qb to be added to the roster sooner rather than later.

As I have stated on numerous other postings if our scouts don't believe there is such a caliber qb in this draft then they should use their first pick to address another need.

His central point is that the Bills don't have a franchise qb on this rebuilding roster. His view is that if Newton or any other prospect is rated as a legitimate prospect the team should seize the opportunity while they are in position to do so.

Although he favors Newton (using him as a lightening rod) that really isn't the issue. His view, as is mine, is that it is improbable for any team to seriously contend (for the Bills--in the long run) without the qb position well staffed.

The majority of posters believe that using the first pick on a defensive player will more quickly improve the team. I agree with that very reasonable assessment. But I'm not fixated on the short term as much as taking a longer term rebuilding view which requires a legitimate franchise qb to be added to the roster sooner rather than later.

As I have stated on numerous other postings if our scouts don't believe there is such a caliber qb in this draft then they should use their first pick to address another need.

John, I was only pointing out a sub-issue. That Sully said in his chat that there is a double standard being applied to Newton as opposed to Sanchez and Leinart, and that it could have to do with racial bias.

The franchise QB thing is a different discussion from where I was going.

If Tebow is a first round pick, Newton easily will be.

I would not bet money on that - Tebow was a 2-time 1st team All-American (and 1-time 2nd team) and 3-time 1st team ALL-SEC that led Florida to 2 BCS national titles - while winning the Heisman Trophy, Davey O'Brien Award, Maxwell Award (twice), Manning Award, Campbell Trophy, NCAA QB of the year, AP player of the year AND managing to earn a 3.77 GPA and a college degree in his four years at Florida.

Now tell me again, what'd Kim Newton do that puts him on a par with Tebow? :unsure:

Edited by The Senator

I would rather take Mallett in the second round

If the Bills want Jamarcus Newton Russell we can pick him up off the street

It's funny how people compare Newton to Russell, yet don't compare Mallett to Russell. Newton's game is NOTHING like Russell's. Yet Mallett's game is. Maybe you're just going with what everyone says. Maybe you're just going with skin color. Who knows? Except for the fact that the comparison is ignorant and wrong.

I refuse to ever buy the Buffalo Snooze - in large part because of the Idiot Sullivan - but did see the headline linked on the TBD main page...

"Bills can't pass up chance to draft Newton"

...so I clicked on it, quickly realized it was Sullivan, and didn't bother reading it. Sullivan's endorsement pretty much puts an end to any chance the Bills will pick Kim Newton.

However I can easily imagine, months from now after Newton falls out of round one and is an eventual total NFL bust, the whiney POS Sullivan backtracking and saying something like, " Hey, I never said the Bills should draft Newton - I just wrote that they can't pass up the chance to draft Newton, and I was right about that! " B-)

Edited by The Senator

Tebow had no red flags? He couldnt even throw the ball acceptably. Cam has some red flags about attitude. Tebow had red flags about throwing.

In 3 years of college, he threw for almost 9000 yards, completed 66.5% of his passes and threw 85 TD's against only 15 ints. He had no problems throwing the ball. He was drafted in the first round.

I would not bet money on that - Tebow was a 2-time 1st team All-American (and 1-time 2nd team) and 3-time 1st team ALL-SEC that led Florida to 2 BCS national titles - while winning the Heisman Trophy, Davey O'Brien Award, Maxwell Award (twice), Manning Award, Campbell Trophy, NCAA QB of the year, AP player of the year AND managing to earn a 3.77 GPA and a college degree in his four years at Florida.

Now tell me again, what'd Kim Newton do that puts him on a par with Tebow? :unsure:

Here's what the NFL doesn't care about:

-Heisman Trophy (Newton won)

-Manning Award (Newton won)

-Davey O'Brien (Newton won)

-Maxwell Award (Newton won)

-Campbell Trophy

-AP Player of the year (Newton won)

-"NCAA QB of the Year" (doesn't specifically exist)

-College degree

Seeing as Newton received nearly every award that you think separates them, what was your point again?

Edited by Mr. WEO

John, I was only pointing out a sub-issue. That Sully said in his chat that there is a double standard being applied to Newton as opposed to Sanchez and Leinart, and that it could have to do with racial bias.

The franchise QB thing is a different discussion from where I was going.

Sullivan does what he usually does, frame a question in the most provocative way that he can. That is what columnists do, especially quarrelsome columnists who enjoy that role. He may be be somewhat incautious in bringing up the race issue in his chat but with respect to Newton that may be a issue that does exist to some extent.

I'm sure you have read some of the comments regarding Newton. There is a tinge of race aspect to it. But fortunately, overall, it plays only a very limited role. The majority of the commentary regarding Newton is deals with whether he can play at the next level or not. And that is how it should be.

(I was going to reply to you sooner but I didn't realize that the topic was merged.) I always enjoy reading and responding to your thoughtful postings.

Well how 'bout that??? A QB prospect that can't pass, and struggles with his footwork??? Hell yeah, let's draft him and give him $50M!!! :wallbash:

Glad to see at least one anonymous scout speak the truth. Newton sucks.

I see nothing but a huge bust waiting to happen - all the obvious signs are readily apparent - and I definitely can see him falling out of the first round.

Regardless, no way Buddy Nix drafts him.

Edited by The Senator

He can improve all physical aspects of quarterbacking so I have no concerns about those areas. But those quotes about his interview performance are the first red flags I've heard that have me concerned. If he left this impression on all the teams that interviewed him, I can see him dropping like a stone. Unless it's just misinformation being put forth, he didn't help himself in one of the most important aspect of combine evaluations.

GO BILLS!!!

Not interesting at all. aBrohmination had no chance to make the roster. Journeyman or rookie will be the 2nd or 3rd QB.

I agree on all points, just watching to see what spots on the roster get opened and then filled or not to see what they might (and any picks are possible) look for on draft day. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be calling in sick on April 29th.

wait til next year to use a first round pick on a QB...

forget all of Cam's accolades.....

LIST OF HEISMAN WINNING QB's:

1993 Ward, Charlie

1996 Wuerffel, Danny

2000 Weinke, Chris

2001 Crouch, Eric

2002 Palmer, Carson

2003 White, Jason

2004 Leinart, Matt

2006 Smith, Troy

2007 Tebow, Tim

2008 Bradford, Sam

2010 Newton, Cam

Did u guys see that pass attempt to the sideline that he made at the combine that sailed 20yards over receiver head.

I mean C`mon man!!! If we want Jamarcus Russell we can pick him up off the streets...

LOL at calling out a pass that sailed at the combine did you not notice Mallet had one that sailed to or you just dismissed that one? I mean its just the combine relax. Hell Locker, Stanzi and Pondermissed a few to but your not gonna call them out to will you?

And let me guess he's Jamarcus Russell because they both black right? Thats all they have in common besides an arm but if thats the case Cam is just like Ben Roethisberger. But he's white so you don't campare the to each other right?

Anyway I mean geez this is really a sensitive subject. I wonder how many people will commite suicide if the Bills do draft him? I mean damn....

LOL at calling out a pass that sailed at the combine did you not notice Mallet had one that sailed to or you just dismissed that one? I mean its just the combine relax. Hell Locker, Stanzi and Pondermissed a few to but your not gonna call them out to will you?

And let me guess he's Jamarcus Russell because they both black right? Thats all they have in common besides an arm but if thats the case Cam is just like Ben Roethisberger. But he's white so you don't campare the to each other right?

Anyway I mean geez this is really a sensitive subject. I wonder how many people will commite suicide if the Bills do draft him? I mean damn....

Not only did a pass sail at the combine, Did you see the way he pulled his under armor wedgie out! OMG we can't have that on Sundays!! He's going to drop to an UDFA all the way based on that wedgie pick.

Edited by Why So Serious?