Update

While I wholehearted agree with you that Newton has some awesome physical ability, all those plays he made in college were against....well, college kids.... at 6'5'' 250 lbs he was bigger, stronger, faster them most of those he played against, that won't be the case in the NFL.

The guy only played one season at Auburn, Maybin like scary- He has a very shady past with some talk about cheating on exam papers, IQ scary-He never called plays or ran plays from a huddle at Auburn, and in fact did more running then throwing-huge learning curve scary

While Cam Newton may or may not eventually develop into a franchise QB, in all reality he is rated by most draft analysts as a mid first round pick and not a top 5 player. Only a team desperate for a QB would even think about drafting him in the top 5 IMO. Plus they would need to revamp the entire offense into a simplistic wildcat / pistol style if they want to utilize him his first year.

Stating that last part I can understand how this kid could easily be HC Chan Gaileys dream QB to develop. I just think the poor man is over tasked as it is just being the HC without adding a bigger load to what he already needs to deal with, setting up the offensive game plans, calling plays and basically running the entire offense himself. What made Marv levy so successful as a HC in Buffalo was his ability to hire great assistants to run the offense and defense, more particularly OC Ted Marchibroba, who trained Jim Kelly to call his own plays and built that no huddle / k-gun offense, Levy was a special teams guy.

I was not a big fitz fan at first but the guy won me over with his play against some very good playoff teams last season and I believe Chan Gailey when he states he can win with Fitz. This Buffalo Bills franchise has been in dire need of a better defense for years as I have come to loath the Tampa 2 defense under Jauron, and its inability to stop the run.

If this Buffalo Bills team is desperate for something its a run defender-pass rusher- and some O line help as Fitz can't continue to run for his life forever. My dream scenario is Darius or Miller- Peterson or AJ Green and a ROT or TE kyle Rudolf in the 2nd

At 6-5 250 he would be... About the 4th biggest guy on our defense if we dropped him at LB? Certainly faster than anyone in our front 7. Now does that mean we need him or we need to upgrade our front 7 is a different conversation. As ngu said - there's no comparison at qb. He could be that unique guy that makes it all work- size, speed, strength, an arm. Who was the last offensive player we had that kept coordinators up at night because he was uniquely talented? Of course he could totally bust. Just saying- there's a reason he's top 3.

Thanks Ngu

However I disagree with the bolded part, kinda scary to me you stated that "Newton/Darius at the top of the board", all I can do is pray that Newton goes first to Carolina....If the Bills select Darius-Miller-Peterson-AJ Green they will get a top player, future pro bowler, perhaps even a HoFer

Newton has way to many holes and red flags...can you say another Andre Ware-Joey Harrington- David Carr-JaMarcus Russell-Ryan Leaf-Tim Couch-Matt leinart-Jack Thompson-Kelly Stouffer-Cade McNown-Jim Druckenmiller-Dan McGwire-Todd Blackledge-Akili Smith-David Klinger-Rick Mirer-Heath Shuler-Todd Marinovich-Art Schlichter

The Bills are not desperate for a QB right now, they have a serviceable QB in Fitz....if they draft Newton at 3 this year ....then they will have to pass on Luck next year and really screw themselves outta a true franchise QB

I dunno if serviceable exists in qb world without the term backup attached. Either you have the guy or not and we dont. I dunno who it will be but sooner is better than later if we see him.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me chime in..... O....thanx so much NGU! As for Cam, I just want to say this in his defense. Where the hell was Marcel Dareus when Cam and Auburn came back for the win? Don't get me wrong, its not a knock on MD at all. He's actually my 1st choice! However, it does show Cam was a monster at that level. MD is considered one of if not the best dt in the draft. Well Cam beat him and his team. The fact that he would sit behind fitz makes it a good fit for us. With all that being said, ill still take MD or VM at three. Jmo fellas.

Edited by qdawg in philly

Hey NGU, good to see you back. My fear with Newton is that he will chafe in small market Buffalo, much like Willis McGahee did. Some of his comments struck me like he's more worried about where the next hot tub party is than playing football. I worry he would dog it in Buffalo hoping to force a trade or a release.

Has the possibility of a trade down been discussed. I'm thinking Buddy could get a real bidding war going between 4-5 teams if Can Newton was sitting there at #3.

PTR

At 6-5 250 he would be... About the 4th biggest guy on our defense if we dropped him at LB? Certainly faster than anyone in our front 7. Now does that mean we need him or we need to upgrade our front 7 is a different conversation. As ngu said - there's no comparison at qb. He could be that unique guy that makes it all work- size, speed, strength, an arm. Who was the last offensive player we had that kept coordinators up at night because he was uniquely talented? Of course he could totally bust. Just saying- there's a reason he's top 3.

I dunno if serviceable exists in qb world without the term backup attached. Either you have the guy or not and we dont. I dunno who it will be but sooner is better than later if we see him.

Post one link to one mock draft of any value that has Newton rated in the top 3, he is a mid first round pick on almost every board Ive seen and not even the highest rated QB in this draft. The ONLY reason he is projected to be taken by Carolina at #1 is because they are desperate for a QB, Clausen didn't come close to getting the job done last year.

It is easy to be wowed by stats, every year guys creep up the boards because they have great measurable s, its his unmeasurable s that worry me. The guy is a PROJECT, he never called plays, they coaches held up a card with one number on it and that was the play they ran, he never was in the huddle, has no understanding of reading pro style defenses or NFL verbiage. Plus the fact that he was caught cheating on exams at Fla leads me to think he isn't very bright in many ways, so his ability to learn a complete new language and absorb it at all makes me think this kid could take years to absorb it, if he ever does.

This Bills team needs players that will have an impact this year, not 3 years down the road. Aaron Maybin was and still is a project at DE-OLB, how did that first round pick turn out?

I saw no mention of Patrick Peterson. Is it that he is not considered in the same class as Dareus, Newton, Miller or Green. Or is it because he plays CB and the FO does not consider this a need. Almost everything I read considered Peterson elite and safe and I am just curious how Buddy et al. feel about him.

Thanks so much for the insight, NGU. I for one am very happy with the news, but that is not what's important. The fact is we all just got a free tip reporters would break their neck for.

This year it looks like most of you have it figured out. Newton/Dareus at the top of the board. Unfortunately both will likely be gone as you all know. It looks like Miller or AJ Green.

I know none of this is earth shattering. Last year there were just alot more scenarios.

If anything changes I wil let you know. It has been entertaining watching Miller move up on most expert's boards. I am sure the AJ Green talk will pick up now.

All 4 of these players are studs. You should be happy. Enjoy the draft!

Thanks for the update NGU...

Well I have to say it would be JUST like this Organization to pick AJ Green at #3...And it would make me laugh out loud pretty hard if they do so...Not a happy laugh though...Not that Green is not a good Prospect because he is...Just like Spiller was last year...He's a hell of a good Prospect WR...But here we go again...We'll Draft a WR at #3 so we can get rid of the one we Drafted 7 years ago at #13...Here we go again Drafting a Player high in the 1st at what is perceived to be one of our deepest Positions (Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Nelson, Jones, Roosevelt, and 4th Round Pick in 2010 Marcus Easley)...Once again we don't address the glaring weaknesses...And once again they'll get their asses beat in the trenches...And yet once again, we don't even get a Top Rated QB Prospect...I can hear it now...The Bills Draft a WR and they don't even have a Franchise QB to get him the ball... :lol:

Don't get me wrong...I realize Fitz could become a top 10 NFL QB and the Green and Spiller moves could make The Bills Offense one of the leagues best...I also realize that someday pigs can fly should they sprout wings... ;)

We'll maybe, just maybe that will be the move that will assure the Bills win zero games in 2011 and finally make their own LUCK...If you know what I mean... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Do you think Newton is the only reason Auburn won the BCS Title?

He obviously is not the only reason but I will tell you this, noway Auburn wins a NC last year if Newton is not their QB.

Post one link to one mock draft of any value that has Newton rated in the top 3, he is a mid first round pick on almost every board Ive seen and not even the highest rated QB in this draft. The ONLY reason he is projected to be taken by Carolina at #1 is because they are desperate for a QB, Clausen didn't come close to getting the job done last year.

It is easy to be wowed by stats, every year guys creep up the boards because they have great measurable s, its his unmeasurable s that worry me. The guy is a PROJECT, he never called plays, they coaches held up a card with one number on it and that was the play they ran, he never was in the huddle, has no understanding of reading pro style defenses or NFL verbiage. Plus the fact that he was caught cheating on exams at Fla leads me to think he isn't very bright in many ways, so his ability to learn a complete new language and absorb it at all makes me think this kid could take years to absorb it, if he ever does.

This Bills team needs players that will have an impact this year, not 3 years down the road. Aaron Maybin was and still is a project at DE-OLB, how did that first round pick turn out?

So if he goes top 3 in the draft, by definition that teams board isn't credible because it doesn't agree with the kipers of the world? Also, maybin is an awful comparable. Just awful.

NGU,

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to provide us this info and your insights. It is most welcome, especially when the chicken-squabbling reaches fever pitch.

Could you provide us any insight about why Mr. Nix and the scouting department feel Cam Newton's character issues won't be a problem in the future?

ie: do they consider them minor enough to not matter or has Newton shown signs of remorse/maturity?

Thanks in advance

Gabbert Sucks. He wouldn't even be a 1st round pick if Luck hadn't stayed for his last year. Gabbert wasn't even projected to go in the 4th rd in January. Wake up, watch tape, and don't believe all the hype.

That makes a lot of sense>>> If Luck came out and was #1 as predicted, it would drop a player projected as a top 5-10 totally out of 1st round. Thanks for your help!

Thanks (as always) for the update NGU!

Interestingly enough on Sirius NFL Radio they were talking about Newton and the Panthers taking him - it's not that the Panthers are 1,000% convinced that he's going to be a franchise QB (though obviously they feel good about the prospect) it's that they can't afford NOT to draft Newton and watch him become a star.

I really, really hope he goes #1 overall!

My best case scenario would be that Darius falls to us, if not him I say Von Miller. I know many have concerns after "watching the (YouTube) tape", but so many experts have backed the guy there HAS to be something there. If Cam falls to us at 3 we can only pray for a trade down...

He obviously is not the only reason but I will tell you this, noway Auburn wins a NC last year if Newton is not their QB.

I agree with your take, Gordio. :) Newton was not the only reason but his rare physical attributes helped significantly.

The Auburn defense was extremely well prepared and coached for the BCS Title game. (Fairley came out of that game being discussed as a possible #1 overall pick, if anyone cares to remember.) Newton in no way carried Auburn in that game. IMO.

Thanks (as always) for the update NGU!

Interestingly enough on Sirius NFL Radio they were talking about Newton and the Panthers taking him - it's not that the Panthers are 1,000% convinced that he's going to be a franchise QB (though obviously they feel good about the prospect) it's that they can't afford NOT to draft Newton and watch him become a star.

I really, really hope he goes #1 overall!

My best case scenario would be that Darius falls to us, if not him I say Von Miller. I know many have concerns after "watching the (YouTube) tape", but so many experts have backed the guy there HAS to be something there. If Cam falls to us at 3 we can only pray for a trade down...

In addition to his stellar college career, Miller won over a lot of evaluators at the Senior Bowl. Not so much the game but the practice drills. He simply dominated the best OLmen in his class that entire week of practice. That spoke volumes to all the coaches, GMs, and team personnel people in attendance.

GO BILLS!!!