Miller, Gabbert, and Peterson Are Players That....

1) Miller had great combine numbers. So did Mike Mamula and Vern Gholston so I'm not that swayed. Miller is small. We need to get stronger, not smaller.

2) I can't help it.....Gabbert reminds me of Trent. I only saw him on youtube, but this guy is a checkdown machine imo.

3) Investing a # 3 in a corner and making him the highest player on this team would be a Levy/Jauron act of monumental idiocy. Mel Blount was as good as I have ever seen at cb. To those of you who saw the "Steel Curtain," raise you hand if you think Blount was as important as Joe Greene, LC Greenwood, Jack Lambert or Jack Hamm?

I would rather take a supposed "reach" player who would offer a chance at greatness than settle for any of the above. This football team already has too much invested in small, non-impact players such as Evans, Whitner, Spiller, McKelvin, and a host of non-productve others.

I want the Bills to have a great quarterback and a strong football team. When they accomplish this, they will win football games.

End of rant; jmo.

I agree with not drafting these three with our first pick. I also add Fairley to that list. My personal guess is that Dareus is our man but won't be surprised (disappointed perhaps) if its AJ Green

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Von Miller-There is an awful track record of LB's being taken in the first 5 picks over the past 10 years!

Blaine Gabbert-Jim Harbaugh tried to recruit him--called him the best pro style QB entering college several years ago...Gabbert decided on Mizzou...As for the Trent comparisons, I see it...but, Gabbert looks like he can manage the game better! Going back Trent was not a bad QB...towards the end, Trent fell apart...In the NFL you have to evolve your game--if you don't evolve--you don't succeed!

I believe if they do select Gabbert, Chan can mold him into a stellar QB--which this teams hasnt had in almost 13 years!

Patrick Peterson- I don't think the staff is that high on him--I've read the articles on him being a "Nickleback", but don't see him in the new 2011 Bills jerseys rolling out soon!

:thumbsup:

Your opinion in #3 makes the assumption that by drafting Peterson they'd be passing on the Joe Greene, LC Greenwood, Jack Lambert or Jack Hamm. If the drafting team had the option of picking between a future Hall of Fame CB or DL/LB, I'm sure they'd take the DL/LB. But obviously that is an unknown, and therefore if there is a player that they feel has the ability to become a HoF anything he should be the pick. Or, to put another way, was Mel Blount more important to that defense than Ernie Holmes or Dwight White?

I can respect what you are saying. But the question remains, do you think that the Bills are big and strong enough to compete in the NFL? I think that the answer is obvious.

At SOME point, they will have to stop wasting top picks on small, under productive "skill" players. Why not now? If we keep using our best picks and financial resources on rbs and dbs, can we reasonably expect to win football games?

Shhhhh. don't bring up 2007 when Bill spent the entire offseason fretting and posting against the Bills selecting Revis and what a mistake would be and how it woudl set the franchise back.

True. In 2007, I was still in pain from the 2006 draft that you continue to defend.

I don't know about that...There HAS to be a reason some NFL Scouts are SO high on this Kid...And I'm reading tons of rumors The Bills are amongst the Teams sold on Gabbert (I know...they're just rumors)...Mike Mayock has him #5 overall and says most of Gabbert's problems came from a lack of talent around him and a porous O-Line...Charlie Casserly says Gabbert is a better Pro Prospect than Sanchez and Flacco coming out...The NFL Advisory Board obviously told him he would go REAL high...He's SUPER smart, a hard worker, and a good teammate...Nothing is guaranteed with a QB ever...No matter where you pick em.' But I don't think Gabbert is Trent 2.0...Not at all... B-)

If they draft Gabbert I will not be sickened ala selections such as Spiller, McKelvin and Lil' Donte, because I do believe that Gailey has a very good offensive mind and knows what he is looking at.

I am just not overly impressed from what I have seen of him.

Nothin negative on Gabbert?

The comparisons are killin me...

Gabbert = Edwards

Miller = Maybin

JJ Watt = Kelsay

I understand all the busts and disappointments have jaded everyone, but jesh, should we be paralyzed and not draft any positions we've ever had busts w/ ?

Actually.....Gabbert and Miller have been covered to death but the comparison that is really absurd is JJ Watt.....that guy is an absolute beast......I dont see him like Kelsay at all

Actually.....Gabbert and Miller have been covered to death but the comparison that is really absurd is JJ Watt.....that guy is an absolute beast......I dont see him like Kelsay at all

Someone said they look alike, so apparently they are =

If I had to choose from the 3 players, of who I would prefer, it would no doubt be Von Miller. I can see why people are skeptical. Not a history of success when teams in the past draft a LB top 5, and that his college playing weight reminds people of Aaron Maybin.

But he has two years of college production, showed up to the combine at 246lbs and proceeded to have one of the best workouts EVER for a LB. He has completely backed up his gaudy numbers, was coached by Gailey's staff in the Senior Bowl and produced, and is a glaring need on this team (jury is still our on Merriman being able to make it through the season; Poz having yet established himself as a force and staying healthy; Maybin having done squat). Moats is a bright spot, but with an outside, Clay Matthews-esqu type talent rushing the passer will change games and make everyone around them better.

I also wouldn't be disappointed with Gabbert either. He has shown the ability to take hits and stay in games. He had his ankled rolled up on by Suh a couple of years ago, and played the rest of the game with the injury. Plus, I think hie has a super quick release, and has shown he possesses the work ethic and smarts to get better with time. His measurables are off the charts too possessing prototypical height and above average speed. Plus Gailey has shown that he can do good things with QBs. The team has also publicly stated that while they are behind Fitzy 100%, they feel he's getting old at 28 and if they can draft a guy that will be a "franchise guy", they'll draft him. Plus Gailey has never had an elite talent (other than Aiken at the end of his career) to coach up and have "his" guy installed at the most important position in the game.

The only guy I would be upset about is Peterson. Its not that I would hate it if this team drafted a CB at the #3 position. Its because I think he is the one with the largest likelihood to bust. A&M passed all over Peterson in the Cotton Bowl. Jeff Fuller, had 7 catches for 83 yards against Peterson. I wasn't that impressed.

My main issue with Von Miller isn't with the player himself, but the team. We all know the Bills have a myriad of problems, namely pass rush. But the Bills have already invested big dollars into this one position by re-signing Merriman and Kelsay although neither is going to scare opponents. Using the 3rd overall pick on an OLB means spending a lot of resources into one position.

Gabbert, OTOH, seems like something manufactured by the draft hype machine at ESPN, et al. As for Peterson, I'd like to not have Bill from NYC's head explode, so no on that one.

There was mention of OLB not helping the overall defense improve nearly as much as help in the middle - and, I have to agree that on the whole, I believe a very good NT is more important to a defense than any other position, merely because the best NT/DT's can totally take away the opponents run game up the middle. When that happens, the defense only has to account for outside runs/passes - and that makes it so much easier to defend, not to mention all the freedom given the linebackers behind the monster NT's. It is a point seldom discussed here, but I think a beast like Phil Taylor would do more for this defense than any other one positional aquisition. At 3 everyone would object, but I bet he ends up giving the team he goes to a top seven or eight run defense right away.

As for Peterson, it occurred to me that we have McKelvin - a high 1st, Byrd - a high 2nd, Whitner - a high first (granted, he'll be gone, most likely), but you add Peterson to that, and I would think we'd have the highest drafted secondary in the NFL, and it'd be tough to find a secondary anywhere with higher picks. So, if we do draft him, at least we stand to have a strength to build from.

Ideally, I want game changers - and I think there will be a few game changing QB's in this year's draft class. If Nix and Gailey think they can land him with our 1st or our 2nd, I hope they make the move if they are confident in the kid's potential.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Miller is the true beast here, he has proved it over the years. Jordan and Watt could really add some punch to our defense but are they worth a 3 pick. Gabbert is total hype in which he benefited from Luck staying in school. Gabbert is the potential bust here. He has gone from a 2nd rounder at the end of the college football season to a top 5 pick with out throwing a pass. This is what great marketing can do for you. Miller is the stud if he gains 10 lbs he will be worthy of a top 5 pick.

Dareus, Miller, Jordan/Watt will be the pick at 3.

Add that the Bills could've had Revis, but chose Marshawn Lynch 2 picks earlier.

But we NEEDED a RB, and we didn't NEED a CB (until the following year). :wallbash:

Don't draft need. Draft the guys you think will be the best football players.

I think Miller will be a very good football player. I have some doubts if he will be great, so that is why he is not at the top of my board.

I think Gabbert could be a great football player and the impact of a great QB is often worth the risk. If he is our pick it means he has Chan's approval, and that is enough for me to be happy. I don't have Gabbert or Newton high on my board, but I will not be unhappy with either pick because of the Chan/Buddy vote of confidence meaning a lot.

I think Peterson is overrated based on physical talents, but measurables do not make Revis or Nnamdi the great corners, and I don't think Peterson has the coverage skills to be great at CB. I would be very disappointed with the pick.

I'd much rather have Beef in the Middle bench both our best D-lineman AND our 2nd-round pick from last year over an edge rusher.

FIXED

ENOUGH WITH THE DT's ALREADY. We have Williams and Troup. That's our 2 DT's for one position in the 3-4. DONE.

If there was a beast ILB worth taking at #3 fine - but there isn't anyone close.

Edited by BobChalmers

2) I actually like Blaine Gabbert. I can see why you would think that he's a checkdown machine, but that's a result of how his offense was designed. The majority of his throws, and this is coming off of what I heard from some NFL Network analyst, were in that 10-15 yard range. Sure, he doesn't throw that many 50 yard bombs, but the 10-15 yard throws are really the bread and butter of the NFL passing game. Here's the biggest reason of why I DO like Blaine Gabbert. His offense at Mizzou was pretty complex - almost to the level of Sam Bradford's when he was at Oklahoma. Blaine Gabbert had to make complex reads and progress through his recievers like he would have to in the NFL. In fact, if we draft him, I will probably expect to see a Sam Bradford-like season out of him. Just my own guess, but there it is. He'll probably have the smoothest transition to the NFL game out of everyone in the draft this season.

I don't think Gabbert is "a checkdown machine", and I do think he shows evidence of having the drive to want to really be the best and do whatever it takes.

On the other hand, the gouge about the complex reads and progression at Mizzou, and the smooth transition he'll have to the NFL doesn't match what I know about the Mizzou offense and what I've read from talent evaluators, most of whom seem to think he's got a big leap to the NFL and that he doesn't tend to progress beyond his second read.

Gabbert hasn't posted nearly as good stats in the Mizzou system as his predecessor Chase Daniel (who went undrafted). To be fair, Gabbert didn't have the receivers his predecessor had.

I can't help thinking how much of the hype is 1) his physical measurables - size and weight 2) his apparent clean bill of health on "character issues", rather than actual on field performance.

FIXED

ENOUGH WITH THE DT's ALREADY. We have Williams and Troup. That's our 2 DT's for one position in the 3-4. DONE.

If there was a beast ILB worth taking at #3 fine - but there isn't anyone close.

Wow I didn't know that drafted one player would bench two active players? Actually, it wouldn't.

What the heck are you talking about?

Also let's not pretend that Kyle Williams actually plays, sit in the middle, space eating 3-4 NT every down. They move him all around. The same can happen when Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairely, or Cam Jordan are right next to him or opposite him with Troup in the middle.

1) Miller had great combine numbers. So did Mike Mamula and Vern Gholston so I'm not that swayed. Miller is small. We need to get stronger, not smaller.

2) I can't help it.....Gabbert reminds me of Trent. I only saw him on youtube, but this guy is a checkdown machine imo.

3) Investing a # 3 in a corner and making him the highest player on this team would be a Levy/Jauron act of monumental idiocy. Mel Blount was as good as I have ever seen at cb. To those of you who saw the "Steel Curtain," raise you hand if you think Blount was as important as Joe Greene, LC Greenwood, Jack Lambert or Jack Hamm?

I would rather take a supposed "reach" player who would offer a chance at greatness than settle for any of the above. This football team already has too much invested in small, non-impact players such as Evans, Whitner, Spiller, McKelvin, and a host of non-productve others.

I want the Bills to have a great quarterback and a strong football team. When they accomplish this, they will win football games.

End of rant; jmo.

It's become obvious that Newton and Dareus are probably going 1, 2.

That leaves the Bills' dilemma of picking the superstar OLB between Miller or Quinn, or trading out which IMO there's a very slim chance of someone offering a trade.

Logic says that they will not pick Peterson or Green at #3, and that Fairley must be off their board. Would they reach for Jordan or Watt? I don't think so, I think they're looking for a player with off the charts measurables and with the video to back it up.

So it's between Miller and Quinn. Everyone knows that I'm a Quinn guy, to me he's more special than Miller because a) he has the size to bull rush offensive lineman at the next level, and b) there's just something about this dude that I get the feeling he's going to be an awesome player. Sorry, I just don't get that vibe from Miller. I know Quinn didn't play last year and that the Bills would get yelled at by the experts for passing over Miller to draft him, but I don't care. I'm looking for a "Bruce Smith" level of talent and that's my guy who I think can deliver. Screw the experts.

Logic says that they will not pick Peterson or Green at #3, and that Fairley must be off their board. Would they reach for Jordan or Watt? I don't think so, I think they're looking for a player with off the charts measurables and with the video to back it up.

I disagree here, basing on last years draft, it appears they are willing to take the best available player regardless of positional needs on their current roster. If pick 1 & 2 go as you say, which I agree with, I think the selection comes down to AJ Green or Patrick Peterson.

It's become obvious that Newton and Dareus are probably going 1, 2.

That leaves the Bills' dilemma of picking the superstar OLB between Miller or Quinn, or trading out which IMO there's a very slim chance of someone offering a trade.

So it's between Miller and Quinn. Everyone knows that I'm a Quinn guy, to me he's more special than Miller because a) he has the size to bull rush offensive lineman at the next level, and b) there's just something about this dude that I get the feeling he's going to be an awesome player. Sorry, I just don't get that vibe from Miller. I know Quinn didn't play last year and that the Bills would get yelled at by the experts for passing over Miller to draft him, but I don't care. I'm looking for a "Bruce Smith" level of talent and that's my guy who I think can deliver. Screw the experts.

The fact that you ignore the real possibility that they may stay at #3 and Draft Gabbert or Trade Down to Draft Mallett is a bit short-sighted at the very least...I'm not saying that's what they are going to do...But it's a definite possibility which makes your analysis incomplete...So get ready to boot the TV come Draft... ;)

And I don't think there is a chance in hades The Bills Draft Quinn before Miller...Just the fact that Nervergiveup has already said The Bills like Miller tells me that much...In the end I think the fact that The Bills are Drafting this high and don't expect to Draft this high again is going to push them towards a QB...Sort of the way SD decided to Draft Rivers when they had Brees...And Fitz is not even in Brees ballpark, which makes me think they go with Gabbert at #3 even more... B-)

The fact that you ignore the real possibility that they may stay at #3 and Draft Gabbert or Trade Down to Draft Mallett is a bit short-sighted at the very least...I'm not saying that's what they are going to do...But it's a definite possibility which makes your analysis incomplete...So get ready to boot the TV come Draft... ;)

And I don't think there is a chance in hades The Bills Draft Quinn before Miller...Just the fact that Nervergiveup has already said The Bills like Miller tells me that much...In the end I think the fact that The Bills are Drafting this high and don't expect to Draft this high again is going to push them towards a QB...Sort of the way SD decided to Draft Rivers when they had Brees...And Fitz is not even in Brees ballpark, which makes me think they go with Gabbert at #3 even more... B-)

It should show who really wears the pants.

If Gabbert was such a hot prospect, why is Cam Newton (a guy with character concerns) an almost certain to go #1 to the Panthers? If Gabbert was such a hot prospect, why did he last all the way down to Washington's 10th pick in GBN's fan vote in mock draft poll?

Gabbert being considered a franchise QB was a sham from the start foisted upon us by the "experts" who were desperately looking for a "great white" star QB to talk up. I love hearing Mayock's latest squimish attempts to tell us why he's a franchise QB. He sounds like a politician trying to sell tax increases...LOL

Oh, some team like the 49ers will bite, but that will only prove how desperate NFL teams have become in their QB search. Gabbert should really be grouped in with the other QBs being talked about at the end of rd 1 or early rd 2.

Edited by 1billsfan

End of rant; jmo.

The Steel Curtain was the first heavily juiced defense, it had nothing to do with the players it was all steroids.